PDA

View Full Version : Light rail results...

keg in kc
08-07-2001, 06:42 PM
For those interested, the tally will be available on Kansas City's website (http://www.kcmo.org/election.nsf/web/0801results?opendocument).

First tally is 1327 for and 3688 against.

I say "yay" to the early results but I'm sure other folks will be disappointed if it continues to lose...

I wonder how long it will take until the final results are available?

morphius
08-07-2001, 06:47 PM
I just don't think anyone is willing to spend 1 billion on something so poorly thought out. I still say if you want to sell this to the people it has to be something more exciting then a 25 mph crawl across the city on a thing that looks like a slow moving city bus. I can't even imagine how long it would take to get me to the airport from home at that kind of speed.

keg in kc
08-07-2001, 06:50 PM
I agree completely, morph.

Fat Elvis
08-07-2001, 06:56 PM
Monorail... Monorail...

Ahhh, it's not a KC type of thing...It's more of a Shelbyville type of thing......

morphius
08-07-2001, 06:59 PM
Fat Elvis - I'm thinking elctromagnetic train...

keg in kc
08-07-2001, 07:45 PM
Update:

6,109 for.

13,184 against.

HC_Chief
08-07-2001, 08:18 PM
This thing doesn't even go to the airport!?!

Heck, I heard it would not have gone to JoCo either.

What the hell good is it then? If you're going to implement a mass-transit system, it should serve all of the greater KC Metro - AND go to the airport.

This plan was poorly conceived. It's too bad - I support a light rail system; but only if it fits the criteria I listed above. Now that <i>this</i> proposal has been shot down, might as well forget about it for another decade. :(

keg in kc
08-07-2001, 08:23 PM
It's getting closer:

12175 yea, 18745 nay

HC, I agree. The idea of a light rail system doesn't bother me, but the plan left a lot to be desired.

Like most of the other plans I've heard since I moved here two years ago...

Methinks KCMO's government needs an overhaul.

keg in kc
08-07-2001, 10:35 PM
Not sure when we'll have the final tally, but I'd say it's pretty much been demolished...

24,824 for and 37,259 against

keg in kc
08-07-2001, 10:39 PM
It looks like this dead horse might be around a bit longer:

Kansas City voters on Tuesday were resoundingly rejecting a $793 million light-rail transit system, but Mayor Kay Barnes hinted at another light-rail vote.

With 63 percent of precincts reporting, light rail was failing decisively in the Northland and passing only by a slim margin south of the Missouri River. The vote totals at that point were 12,175 yes and 18,745 no.

With all Northland precincts reporting, 66 percent of Platte County voters rejected the proposal. Seventy percent rejected it in Clay County, where nearly 28 percent of the registered voters cast ballots.

"The voters thoroughly rejected it," said 2nd District Councilman Paul Danaher, an outspoken opponent of the plan. "The voters have said they don't think a billion-dollar gamble was worth it."

The election marked the fourth straight year light rail was on the ballot in Kansas City. In 1998, 1999 and 2000, activist Clay Chastain lost on different rail petitions.

But Mayor Kay Barnes didn't rule out bringing back light rail to voters again -- and her political consultants are already talking about doing that in November 2002.

"What I detected in the last days was as people grasped what this was about, they were shifting their opinion," Barnes said Tuesday night. "That suggests to me that this issue could have a life after this election."

Maybe they should try something original and come up with a good plan next time.

Although, to be honest I don't think many officials in the KCMO government care about anything but whether or not they get re-elected, so there goes anything original out the window...

redhed
08-08-2001, 12:46 PM
the more I didn't like this plan. I think we need some kind of commuter rail. Faster and just as clean. And it needs to go to the airport in the first phase. After hearing weasel Danaher squawking about the evils of light rail, I knew the north would never go for it. It didn't exactly light up the polls in the southern areas either. I still voted for it, though. vote .

Oh well, we'll get there eventually.

KC Jones
08-08-2001, 02:09 PM
I voted for it, but for mostly selfish reasons. Eventually they most likely would have extended the Troost route further south and closer to my neighborhood (close to Waldo just 4 blocks west of Troost). I'd love to be able to hop the train and ride to the plaza, westport, union station, or the city market.

As I understand it the plan was mostly a let's fund this and we'll iron out details later. No big loss here.

Oh well, I'm more upset about the sales tax for the fire department passing. Rarely have I seen such a poorly planned or stupid idea in my whole life. It's a total waste of money - just flat out disgusting. But, nobody will vote 'against' fire fighters so they can ram crap like this by the voters.