PDA

View Full Version : Jets sign Calvin Pace

Coogs
03-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Per ESPN. Could hurt the trade down scenarios on teams interested in jumping over the Jets for Gholston.

Pace to get $22M guaranteed in big deal with Jets
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Only a few years after a disappointing and unproductive stretch in which Calvin Pace missed much of the 2005 season following a bye-week accident in which he severely lacerated his right forearm and saw the Arizona Cardinals withhold much of his base salary, the hybrid defensive end/linebacker has landed a monster contract.

ESPN.com has learned that Pace on Monday afternoon reached agreement with the New York Jets on a six-year, $42 million contract. The deal, negotiated by agent Pat Dye Jr. and his associates at Atlanta-based ProFiles Sports Management, includes a signing bonus of $20 million and $22 million in total guarantees.

The contract, which makes Pace one of the highest paid linebackers in NFL history, will pay out $26 million in its first three years.

Pace is the second major addition to the New York defense this offseason, with the Jets having acquired tackle Kris Jenkins from Carolina last week. Pace, who chose the offer from the Jets over one from Miami, should give coach Eric Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum the pass-rushing 3-4 linebacker they have been seeking.

A first-round choice in the 2003 draft, Pace has only 38 starts in five seasons, but is a player who has experienced a bit of a perfect storm lately, which has raised his profile with pro talent scouts around the league.

Pace began his career playing end in a 4-3 front, dabbled some at strongside linebacker in that alignment in 2006, then moved to linebacker full-time in 2007, when the Cardinals converted to a 3-4 defense and lost pass-rushers Chike Okeafor and Bert Berry to injuries. Starting all 16 games for the first time since his 2003 rookie campaign, Pace posted 98 tackles and 6 sacks last season, with one interception, six passes defensed, a forced fumble and two recoveries.

In 67 career games, the former Wake Forest star has 182 tackles and 14 sacks.

ct
03-03-2008, 01:32 PM
cool

Brock
03-03-2008, 01:33 PM
This year's Edgerton Hartwell or whatever.

ct
03-03-2008, 01:37 PM
J.E.T.S. are throwin $ away like crazy this year.

Amnorix
03-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Jets are going with a high risk / high reward strategy. Interesting, but given their circumstances they can hardly take their time. It's more or less make or break for Mangini/Tannenbaum.

the Talking Can
03-03-2008, 01:38 PM
ha-ha

BigChiefFan
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
They overpaid.

htismaqe
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Jets are going with a high risk / high reward strategy. Interesting, but given their circumstances they can hardly take their time. It's more or less make or break for Mangini/Tannenbaum.

Year 2 is make or break for them and for us, it's being billed as the BEGINNING. Those first 2 years were just a test run, NOW we finally know what we're doing.

:shake:

el borracho
03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Year 2 is make or break for them and for us, it's being billed as the BEGINNING. Those first 2 years were just a test run, NOW we finally know what we're doing.

http://espn.go.com/media/nfl/2006/0109/photo/a_edwards_195.jpg

ct
03-03-2008, 01:45 PM

Who would appear to have a better idea what they're doing at this point in the offseason of Year 3? Jets w/ big spending free agency approach, or KC looking towards the draft?

Pestilence
03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
J.E.T.S. are throwin $ away like crazy this year.

And their fans will still Boo them on draft day. :cuss:

Sure-Oz
03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I think i'd rather go the draft than overpaying, but atleast they should've gone hard after Bryant Johnson

BigChiefFan
03-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Funny how the Chiefs get a free pass, but Mangini's Jets don't. This is Herm's THIRD YEAR, TOO.

Brock
03-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Funny how the Chiefs get a free pass, but Mangini's Jets don't. This is Herm's THIRD YEAR, TOO.

Yeah, it's not like anybody is hammering the Chiefs or anything.

htismaqe
03-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Who would appear to have a better idea what they're doing at this point in the offseason of Year 3? Jets w/ big spending free agency approach, or KC looking towards the draft?

IMO, the Chiefs have it right. That's not what I was lamenting.

I was lamenting that we should have taken this approach TWO YEARS AGO.

As it is, we tried to hang on far too long in hopes of staying competitive and we set the whole team back doing it. Now, after 2 years of that, we're taking a whole new approach.

The problem with it is that 2 years from now, they'll be telling us to give the "new approach" a chance to work and that we haven't given the staff enough time to turn things around.

htismaqe
03-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah, it's not like anybody is hammering the Chiefs or anything.

We're not talking about fans, we're talking about ownership.

the Talking Can
03-03-2008, 02:07 PM
we decided not to rebuild last year for the explicit reason of appeasing True Fans....

thanks Carl, thanks True Fans.....for nothing

but we're still doing the right thing, late or not....the Jets are doing Carl's thing...

Coogs
03-03-2008, 02:08 PM

As it is, we tried to hang on far too long in hopes of staying competitive and we set the whole team back doing it. Now, after 2 years of that, we're taking a whole new approach.

:clap::clap::clap:

ChiefsCountry
03-03-2008, 02:15 PM

The problem with it is that 2 years from now, they'll be telling us to give the "new approach" a chance to work and that we haven't given the staff enough time to turn things around.

Last year they should have for sure, Herm's first year I dont think they could have.

ct
03-03-2008, 02:18 PM

Yeah I hear ya, but I still think they tried exactly what the jets are now, and did do it the last couple years purely to buy time for the draftees to take over. 2 problems however...

1) Is Brodie the man? No idea...

2) Trying to buy time with McIntosh and Turley, while forgetting to draft prospects to develop, has left the O-Line cupboard barren. Now you're pretty much stuck with playing some highly drafted rookies NOW, or suffer yet another rough year...with a fragile young QB and rehabbing RB.

Both franchises F'd up, and have it all riding on this year, imo. The Jets and their FA's, the Chiefs and their Day1 rookies this year.

htismaqe
03-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Last year they should have for sure, Herm's first year I dont think they could have.

I could see that.

It's just frustrating to know that these idiots are going to try to use it as an excuse 2 years from now when they're still struggling to get it right.

Chiefnj2
03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Allen's cost keeps going up.

Coogs
03-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Allen's cost keeps going up.

Yep!

Mecca
03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Calvin Pace is a OLB so I don't exactly think that affects Allen...

I suspect Pace will be a good player for them, they're doing what the Browns are doing now they have to make the playoffs or everyone is getting fired and with the moves Buffalo made this is it...

I fully think the Jets are drafting McFadden to give their offense a face and an identifiable name especially in NY.

Dylan
03-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I do not want to upset Demension, he's a sweetheart... Why would the Jets give a FA player a signing bonus of $20 million and $22 million in total guarantees for six years? Did anyone hear the Cardinals say, they can't do without Pace lets sign him?

A long term contract is usually good because it lessens the cap hit up front -- Provided the guarantees are high enough. Yet the guarantees also make it almost impossible to cut the player (Pace) until six years is up due to the cap hit of the remainder of his bonus.

Pace is 27 years old. He was drafted in 2003. Yet, he's only played one full season in the NFL 2007. Basically, his average is 4 1/2 games over five years. Since Parcells left, unfortunetely this seems to be the norm.

Rain Man
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Wow. Calvin Pace. Another "can't miss" 1st rounder who entered the Witness Protection Program as a pro.

Dylan
03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
The best philosophy building a team is still from the inside out with youth and value.

Mecca
03-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Wow. Calvin Pace. Another "can't miss" 1st rounder who entered the Witness Protection Program as a pro.

Pretty much everyone acknowledged that was a horrendous pick.....he got taken a round to high.

He should be a pretty good 3-4 OLB, the Jets haven't even had proper personel to run their defense these past 2 years atleast they are trying to fix that.

Dylan
03-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Pretty much everyone acknowledged that was a horrendous pick.....he got taken a round to high.

He should be a pretty good 3-4 OLB, the Jets haven't even had proper personel to run their defense these past 2 years atleast they are trying to fix that.

Mangini did not have a choice but to keep them around. The Jets were saddled with too many big signing bonuses and extentions that were given to unproductive players.

i'm only kidding mr jet - i swear... please don't kill me... :D

Bill Parcells
03-03-2008, 06:48 PM
I do not want to upset Demension, he's a sweetheart... Why would the Jets give a FA player a signing bonus of $20 million and $22 million in total guarantees for six years? Did anyone hear the Cardinals say, they can't do without Pace lets sign him?

A long term contract is usually good because it lessens the cap hit up front -- Provided the guarantees are high enough. Yet the guarantees also make it almost impossible to cut the player (Pace) until six years is up due to the cap hit of the remainder of his bonus.

Pace is 27 years old. He was drafted in 2003. Yet, he's only played one full season in the NFL 2007. Basically, his average is 4 1/2 games over five years. Since Parcells left, unfortunetely this seems to be the norm.

I think the signing bonus for Pace is ridiculous. with that said, the Jets did nothing last year in FA and paid the price by doing nothing. there was a ton of cap space this year and Tangini's asses are on the line.

With this move Bryan Thomas can go back to strong side LB where he excelled in 2006. I like the offensive line with Woody and Faneca.

Finally..the Jets still have a lot of draft picks, and the front office took a lot of shit from the fans for standing pat and doing nothing about a NT and the offensive line last year. I like that they're being proactive. we'll see how this works out because they really have no choice.