PDA

View Full Version : "Opinion Surveys" (aka camouflaged political fundraising)

alnorth
03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
If McCain takes public financing, then at least he'll stop rattling the can and hitting me up for donations.

Instead I'll keep getting those bogus "opinion surveys" from the Republican Senatorial committee or whoever else keeps telling me that I was lucky enough to be "randomly" selected as my region's ultra super-special representative to tell them what I think they ought to do in various issues on behalf of my community. Oh, and would I please also give them $100 when I return the survey so they can get the necessary people elected that are needed to do what I want?

(Democrats on fundraising lists: do you get these damned things too? I swear I've gotten like 6 of these in the last 5 months! I've got to be the most incredibly lucky guy in Iowa for everyone to randomly decide to pick me for my opinion and insights!)

alnorth
03-03-2008, 11:52 PM
The cruel irony for me if McCain does accept public financing is that I never kick in the 3 bucks on my taxes. I've always figured that ever since Bush's massive private fundraising, the GOP nominee will almost never opt for public financing, so I'd only be helping out the enemy.

HolmeZz
03-04-2008, 12:12 AM
If all the things that had been coming out stand, I think he has to take public financing.

Rain Man
03-04-2008, 02:03 PM
I've received two of these fake opinion surveys from the Republicans, and both times I've written a scathing note on the forms about the lack of ethics in cloaking fundraising as a survey, and sent it back to them in their postage-paid envelope. It's unbelievable to me that they do stuff like that.

As an independent, I get garbage like this from both the Republicans and the Democrats. The Republicans are by far the worst, though - about once a quarter I get named "Businessman of the Year" for "My District", which gives me the right to pay $500 to get on some bogus "panel" so I can get inundated with fundraising requests. The Democratic stuff I get is just run of the mill fundraising, which isn't particularly offensive unless it comes from Hillary Clinton.