PDA

View Full Version : Notes from today's practice

keg in kc
08-07-2001, 07:57 PM
from UWRF TC site:

Tuesday, August 6 (afternoon practice)

This afternoon the Chiefs offense wore red instead of white, and the defense switched to white uniforms. The team ran the first 40 minutes of practice without pads. During route drills the quarterbacks, running backs, and receivers didnšt even wear helmets.

The jersey switch that had media and fans confused for a while and marked the first time in the history of the Kansas City Chiefs that the offense has worn red on the practice field. When asked why, Head Coach Dick Vermeil had this answer. "Somewhere along the line someone told me that it might be smart that if your quarterback is throwing to a red jersey on Sunday, to wear one on the practice field. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I' always did it that way."

When asked what he wanted to work in the next few days before the game on Sunday, Coach Dick Vermeil answered "staying cool!" But there were a few more things that he will be working on. "Be tough, mentally and physically tough. Work through the heat. Put the pads on, bang each other, but be intelligent about it."

The defense showed up today with some good pass rushing. Although there was no contact on the quarterback the defense racked up plenty of sacks. Defensive end Monty Beisel had a big day, providing one quarterback hurry and a sack. Beisel also made an outstanding interception. While being blocked at the line of scrimmage, Beisel leaped up and tapped the ball to himself for an interception. Other Chiefs to record sacks on the day were Eric Hicks, Duane Clemons, safety Shaunard Harts, and Steve Martin. Also, third year safety Lyle West put a huge hit on rookie Derrick Blaylock. Blaylock was knocked on his back on a running play that lost two yards.

The day also brought forth some exciting plays in the secondary. Cornerback Dyshod Carter made a nice deflection on a fade by Derrick Mayes. Cornerback Ray Crockett was all over field today. He made a great strip on wide receiver Ricky Hall and almost had an interception on a pass that Mayes ripped out of his hands. Wide receiver Chris Thomas played the third wide receiver slot today. Thomas made a great jumping catch in the end zone for a 10-yard score during 11 on 11 play.

Punter Dan Stryzinski was busy punting from the three yard line today. Stryzinski punted eight times and averaged 44.6 yards per punt. Stryzinski also spent time practicing running the clock out and taking a safety.

During the last 11 on 11 drills, quarterback Trent Green threw the ball well. He was four for seven with 67 yards passing. Quarterback Todd Collins was accurate on two out of three passes for 18 yards. Bubby Brister was three for three with 28 yards passing.

After adding pads 40 minutes into the practice, Quarterback Todd Collins looked good practicing hand-offs for the running game. Fullback Tony Richardson had a nice run as did running back Derrick Blaylock right up the middle. Linebacker Glenn Cadrez had a nice strip and Linebacker Gary Stills had a nice tackle.

Quarterback Trent Green threw for a touchdown during 11 on 11 passing drills from 10 yards and Defensive End Duane Clemons had a nice block and a near interception.Trent Green threw 3 completions out of five and two no throws. Seven-year veteran Todd Collins threw 4 completions out of 5, and one interception to defensive end Monty Beisel. Running Back Mike Cloud had a nice 10 yard run during the drill as well.

When asked about running back Mike Cloud, Coach Dick Vermeil said that he was happy with his development. "He's improved the last four or five days. Of course, a running back can't look goodunless you give him a place to run. We're trying to encourage him to press the point of attack and if it's not thetr to go find someplace to run."

Vermeil also commented on how he feels about Rookie running back Derrick Blaylock of Stephen F. Austin College. "He's coming along rapidly. He's got a lot of poise for a rookie. Another thing is he doesn't make any mental mistakes, which is amazing."

Tribal Warfare
08-07-2001, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by keg in kc
from UWRF TC site:

Vermeil also commented on how he feels about Rookie running back Derrick Blaylock of Stephen F. Austin College. "He's coming along rapidly. He's got a lot of poise for a rookie. Another thing is he doesn't make any mental mistakes, which is amazing."

Blaylock for President!!!!!!!!

tommykat
08-07-2001, 09:12 PM
Someone explain why...Quarterback Todd Collins was accurate on two out of three passes for 18 yards.

From what I am reading they seem to think he is good or on his way. I realize he hasn't had much of a chance to play....but is he really improving?:confused:

NaptownChief
08-07-2001, 09:15 PM
Blaylock and Beisel are going to make us very happy about this years draft despite wasting a high 3rd rounder on Downing...

Beisel's combine numbers were among the most impressive of all the defensive ends. And with the huge numbers he put up at K State it is no surprise that he is sounding like a stud...

keg in kc
08-07-2001, 09:27 PM
You know, I still don't get why everyone is so down on Downing.

He's going to be in the rotation at DT this season, so he's already far exceeded the predictions of the majority of ChiefsPlanet draft prognosticators (including myself...).

NaptownChief
08-07-2001, 09:38 PM
Keg,

I will just call it a major league hunch. He reminds me of the classic lazy underachieving slob that will do very little more than just lean against his opponent. He reminds me of the kid that nearly all of us had on our team in little league that everyone gets excited about on the 1st day of practice because of his size so he is penciled in at catcher and batting 4th...By the 3rd game of the season he is playing right field and batting 9th.:D ...I have a friend who was a grad assistant for a Big East school last year and his opinion confirmed my suspicions...

Here is hoping that our staff can show the kid the light...But my expectation our very low...

keg in kc
08-07-2001, 09:41 PM
Well, the good thing is that if he is a Chet: The Next Generation, he won't last long. Lazy bastiges don't seem to be "Vermeil kinda guys"...

That harkens another question: I wonder how much turnover we'll have following the 2001 season?

NaptownChief
08-07-2001, 09:47 PM
I would imagine now that the cap situation is somewhat under control that DV will flush quite a few that he feels is not his type of guy...His hands were somewhat tied this year due to the many salary cap debacles that had to be cleaned up...

Back to Downing...I think coaches often times get a little full of themselves and think that they can do for a player what no other previous coach could...Downing has the size and tools but no heart from what I hear...IMO, if you can't get it done at the college level then it is foolish to think that it will change when the level of competition gets a lot tougher...

keg in kc
08-07-2001, 09:57 PM
Well, I'll say this, if motivational guru DV (say anything you want about his coaching, but the guys a world-class motivational speaker...) and D-line guru Bob Karmelowicz can't do anything with Downing, then he's really a lost cause.

We could probably trade him to the Donkos. :)

I did find with some digging after the draft that Downing had been impressive in workouts immediately prior to the draft, however, and that several teams had him on their radar in the 3rd-4th round range (Titans being one of those teams). I hope he overcomes whatever problems you've heard he had, because he's obviously got the size (6'3, 314) and is said to have the tools to compete.

I look at it this way: there's a chance we got our DTs for the future this year, because Sands would have been 1st/2nd round talent in 2002 had he been a better student. So if he works out and Downing works out, we're sittin' pretty.

If not, well, we're back where we started and drafting more DTs in 2002, or getting screwed again in free agency...

NaptownChief
08-07-2001, 10:03 PM
I hope so...I think DV has what it takes to get Downing motivated to maximize his potential. If that happens then we got a bargin DT in the 3rd round...If not well I guess we can throw him on the scrap head of 2nd and 3rd round bums with Matt Blundin, The Truth and Mike Cloud...

htismaqe
08-08-2001, 07:56 AM
Hmmm...IIRC, the day of the draft, Kiper and the guys were saying the knock on Downing was his foot speed and agility. They said the ONE PLUS he had was the he played hard and had a motor.

ck_IN
08-08-2001, 09:42 AM
I've been a major Downing basher so I'll add my 2 cents worth.

I heard the same thing as Hitsmaque pre-draft. Good motor, little talent. I also thought his size was ~290 not 314. Has he been eating well since April?

My biggest problem with Downing is where we drafted him. This was a <b>deep</b> draft for DT's and several proven run stuffers were on the board. Downing played in a big time program and contributed little to it. While others (Fatafi for one) played in major programs and excelled. I wouldn't have liked Fatafi in the 3rd either but you get my drift. We could've done much better with the scarce picks we had and the talent available than we did.

Downing will possibly become a Steve Martin kind of guy wich isn't bad, but we need much more and likely could've gotten it if we'd used the pick more wisely. FWIW, my criticism of Minnis follows the same line of thought.

NaptownChief
08-08-2001, 10:11 AM
I completely share CK IN's thoughts on both issues....Before the draft they thought his minimal contributions were coming from heart...After his workout they found out he had plenty of ability and talent, thus indicating his minimal contributions came from ability and not effort....

The reason Kiper and other draftniks opinions were off target on him is due to the fact that they generally don't do much homework on a guy who did virtually nothing in college...