PDA

View Full Version : Clayton: FA winners/losers

Shag
03-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Shocker - Chiefs listed as a loser...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3274514&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs want to get younger, so they skipped the first wave of free agency by signing only Falcons linebacker Demorrio Williams. Maybe it's me, but isn't their linebacking corps one of the strengths of the team? Of course, that's minor compared to the next set of problems. The Chiefs released six veterans in their 30s -- nose tackle James Reed, retired halfback Priest Holmes, offensive linemen Chris Bober and John Welbourn, wide receiver Eddie Kennison and blocking tight end Jason Dunn. Cornerback Ty Law and linebacker Kendrell Bell are the next slated to go. Where are the replacements coming from? The Chiefs have 11 draft choices, so they will get younger, but will they get better?

DaKCMan AP
03-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Nice - FA already has clear winners and losers after a single week. LMAO

Brock
03-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Maybe it's me, but isn't their linebacking corps one of the strengths of the team?

It's just you, idiot.

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 09:03 AM
ROFL

StcChief
03-04-2008, 09:04 AM
really it's just media bias were always picked as losers. LMAO

Cochise
03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
What a dumbass

OnTheWarpath58
03-04-2008, 09:09 AM
I guess John Clayton forgot that there's still 4 1/2 months of FA.

Dumbass.

the Talking Can
03-04-2008, 09:22 AM
anything is better than the trash we cut....jesus

Direckshun
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM
11 PICKS!!!!

WE'RE ADDING ONE EVERY WEEK.

melbar
03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
did we get a conditional pick for tynes based on performance?

pikesome
03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Nice - FA already has clear winners and losers after a single week. LMAO

It's just you, idiot.

What a dumbass

I guess John Clayton forgot that there's still 4 1/2 months of FA.

Dumbass.
Yep.

PS. That multi-quote is kinda neat. :)

Sully
03-04-2008, 09:42 AM
I wonder how he grades the 08 draft.

dj56dt58
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I wonder how he grades the 08 draft.

how the hell is he gonna know that? At least give him till midway through the first round to decide...

Reerun_KC
03-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Who is John Clayton and like his opinion really matters?

Herm will guide us to the promise land!

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Yep.

PS. That multi-quote is kinda neat. :)

Yeah, until you try to quote someone else later in the same thread and realize that you have to uncheck the multiquote for EVERY POST you quoted earlier.

Bweb
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Clayton is in mourning...he can't think straight without Salsbury....

StcChief
03-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Who is John Clayton and like his opinion really matters?

Herm will guide us to the promise land!
well......let's see Google in action....

http://sports.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=john_clayton

Herm is guiding us to land....promised? fertile? or desert island?

pikesome
03-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah, until you try to quote someone else later in the same thread and realize that you have to uncheck the multiquote for EVERY POST you quoted earlier.

Well then I'm not quoting any of the rest of you guys. :p

Reerun_KC
03-04-2008, 10:09 AM
well......let's see Google in action....

http://sports.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=john_clayton

Herm is guiding us to land....promised? fertile? or desert island?
http://www.retro.com/employees/lee/Ani/SarcasmMeter2.gif

Was being a little sarcastic...

We have a better shot at landing on the Moon with Herm then we have of building a championship team with him...

CupidStunt
03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Vikings winners. :LOL:

blueballs
03-04-2008, 10:39 AM
This should push Carl over the edge

Sully
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
how the hell is he gonna know that? At least give him till midway through the first round to decide...

You're right.

My bad.
I tend to jump the gun on these things.

Ari Chi3fs
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Who cares what the Cryptkeeper thinks.

Micjones
03-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Clayton's an idiot because he disagrees with the sentiment of some posters on this board?

Adam Schefter and Rod Woodson had the very same discussion this morning on who won and lost in Free Agency. Guess they're both idiots too?

Chiefs_5627
03-04-2008, 11:42 AM
We have "11 draft choices" now? :shake:

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Clayton's an idiot because he disagrees with the sentiment of some posters on this board?

Adam Schefter and Rod Woodson had the very same discussion this morning on who won and lost in Free Agency. Guess they're both idiots too?

Anybody that's determining winners and losers at this point is an idiot.

It's like predicting the Lakers are going to win the NBA Championship because they're up 12-4 on the Suns, 2 minutes into the 65th game of the season.

DaKCMan AP
03-04-2008, 11:57 AM

Yes, yes they are.

Deberg_1990
03-04-2008, 12:01 PM

Its not really that these guys are idiots. Its basically the whole media mentality now. The media needs something to talk about to fill airtime and space because there is saturation coverage now on everything.

Its all overkill, but thats the society we live in.

OnTheWarpath58
03-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes, yes they are.

Absolutely.

Last I checked, FA lasted until late July.

These idiots declaring "winners and losers" are akin to declaring the leader of the 1st lap of the Daytona 500 the winner.......

Micjones
03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Anybody that's determining winners and losers at this point is an idiot.

It's like predicting the Lakers are going to win the NBA Championship because they're up 12-4 on the Suns, 2 minutes into the 65th game of the season.

Happens everyday on you name the sports show.

Micjones
03-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Its not really that these guys are idiots. Its basically the whole media mentality now. The media needs something to talk about to fill airtime and space because there is saturation coverage now on everything.

Its all overkill, but thats the society we live in.

Exactly.

Spicy McHaggis
03-04-2008, 12:05 PM
If I were a Browns fan I would be shitting myself with with enthusiasm for next year. Corey Williams is no joke and if Rogers is motivated he's a top 3 DT in the league. If the offense can perform like it did last year they might very well accomplish every Chief fan's elusive dream, winning a playoff game.

Brock
03-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Happens everyday on you name the sports show.

That doesn't make it smart.

Ultra Peanut
03-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Honestly, I don't care that we didn't spend eleventy bajillion dollars on some random mediocre football player this week. The one guy we did sign has some nice upside and was very affordable.

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM

Exactly.

Micjones
03-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Doesn't make it dumb either.

Brock
03-04-2008, 12:32 PM

More often than not, it does.

Micjones
03-04-2008, 12:35 PM
More often than not, it does.

Okay Brock.
ROFL

Reerun_KC
03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
But it does mean people will tune in, fill up message boards with "your and idiot" statements and discuss why they said what they said...

IF it wasnt such a big deal, then why is there a thread about it?

Brock
03-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Okay Brock.
ROFL

disinterested shrug.

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 12:40 PM

Well I guess if you got time to waste and you want to speculate like that, more power to you.

Most people view that as "dumb" however.

Brock
03-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Well I guess if you got time to waste and you want to speculate like that, more power to you.

"I don't know what to think until Jamie Dukes tells me".

OnTheWarpath58
03-04-2008, 12:42 PM
"I don't know what to think until Jamie Dukes tells me".

Sad, but in a lot of cases, true.

Amnorix
03-04-2008, 12:56 PM
First, as others have mentioned, it is a BIT early yet to make these calls.

Second, re the Pats, he lists them as a loser and says:

[/URL][URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nwe"]New England Patriots (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nwe): What a tough start to the offseason. The secondary took hits with cornerback Asante Samuel heading to Philadelphia, cornerback Randall Gay (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7028) going to New Orleans and safety Eugene Wilson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6372) expected to leave in the next few days. Even though Moss is staying, the Pats lost WR Donte' Stallworth to Cleveland and Jabar Gaffney (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3561) is unsigned. Outside linebacker Rosevelt Colvin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4761) was released.

I'll admit that we've lost more than we've gained, since resigning Moss isn't a net increase to the team, just keeping the status quo. But other than Asante Samuel, none of these losses matter that much, and Colvin is both (a) unsigned, so free to return to us, and (b) cut, so clearly the Pats CHOSE to lose him, for whatever reason.

Wilson, sadly, has flamed out after his first 2-3 very good years. He's flat SUCKED for 2 years now. Gay is a very minor contributor, STallworth didn't do that much for us, and Gaffney is still unsigned, so he's not a loss, YET.

It's all very silly. If he'd just said "they lost Samuel and have nto signed anyone near his caliber, I would've been fine with it. Instead, he goes into more detail and makes himself look ridiculous.

SBK
I think Salisbury is the free agency loser, he got his chance on the open market and he still isn't doing anything but taking pictures of his pecker with his cell phone.

Amnorix
If I were a Browns fan I would be shitting myself with with enthusiasm for next year. Corey Williams is no joke and if Rogers is motivated he's a top 3 DT in the league. If the offense can perform like it did last year they might very well accomplish every Chief fan's elusive dream, winning a playoff game.

Yes, Browns are on the rise. I'm happy for Romeo, and for Cleveland, which is a crap town, but a good football town that has gotten a very raw deal for over 10 years now.

Ultra Peanut
03-04-2008, 01:05 PM
First, as others have mentioned, it is a BIT early yet to make these calls.

Second, re the Pats, he lists them as a loser and says:

[/URL]

I'll admit that we've lost more than we've gained, since resigning Moss isn't a net increase to the team, just keeping the status quo. But other than Asante Samuel, none of these losses matter that much, and Colvin is both (a) unsigned, so free to return to us, and (b) cut, so clearly the Pats CHOSE to lose him, for whatever reason.

Wilson, sadly, has flamed out after his first 2-3 very good years. He's flat SUCKED for 2 years now. Gay is a very minor contributor, STallworth didn't do that much for us, and Gaffney is still unsigned, so he's not a loss, YET.

It's all very silly. If he'd just said "they lost Samuel and have nto signed anyone near his caliber, I would've been fine with it. Instead, he goes into more detail and makes himself look ridiculous.That reminds me of [url=http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2008/01/best-system-ever.html]this (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nwe) brilliant "system" by Phil Rogers, which assigned equal value to Kosuke Fukudome and Jason Kendall, or Miguel Cabrera and Brendan Harris.

PhillyChiefFan
03-04-2008, 01:12 PM
ROFL

Wow...I love the offseason, nothing to write about

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Jamie Dukes looks like Terry Tate office LB, on Twinkies...

Micjones
03-04-2008, 01:27 PM

You don't think representing the opinions of MOST people is SPECULATION?

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
You don't think representing the opinions of MOST people is SPECULATION?

The opinion of "most" people? That, in and of itself, is speculative.

The fact is, determining finality out of a situation that is NOT FINAL is dumb.

Micjones
03-04-2008, 02:16 PM

Okay dude.
It's not that big a deal.

It's TV. They need something to talk about.
Chill...
ROFL

I don't see you chasing mock draft organizers down...

KCChiefsFan88
03-04-2008, 02:31 PM
It's amazing how everyone else can see how much of an epic disaster the Chiefs offseason plan is shaping up to becoming except for the Chiefs organization and their blind homers fanbase

|Zach|
03-04-2008, 02:31 PM
It's amazing how everyone else can see how much of an epic disaster the Chiefs offseason plan is shaping up to becoming except for the Chiefs organization and their blind homers fanbase

What moves would you make or have made at this juncture?

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't see you chasing mock draft organizers down...

What does that have to do with anything?

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 02:38 PM

Yeah, because being active in the first few hours of free agency has been so successful for us.

Micjones
03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

You know... The whole prediction business?

Micjones
03-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah, because being active in the first few hours of free agency has been so successful for us.

Drafting Defensive Linemen hasn't been wildly successful either.
Should we pass over Ellis or Dorsey if Jake Long's off the board?

Fruit Ninja
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM

Biased my ass, we were 4-12. Thats exactly where we belong. In the losers side of things. Just remember 1970.

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 02:43 PM
You know... The whole prediction business?

Um, determining free agency winners and losers is NOT the "prediction business".

What they are doing is FIRMLY past-tense. They did not say the Chiefs WILL lose in free agency, or even that they ARE losing. They said they LOST.

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Drafting Defensive Linemen hasn't been wildly successful either.
Should we pass over Ellis or Dorsey if Jake Long's off the board?

Sure, if there's another top 5 talent there like Vernon Gholston.

|Zach|
03-04-2008, 02:49 PM

What moves would you make or have made at this juncture?

*cough*

CupidStunt
03-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Bullsnot.

The offseason is never going to be great because Herm and Carl are still here, and that's the bottom line. However, their approach to players and the draft is one any smart fan would appreciate.

Who gives a f**k about a goofy sports writer who has no clue about the team? To him, not guaranteeing a declining, overrated guard like Faneca $25M is a bad thing.

Chiefmanwillcatch
03-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Do the Steelers and Packers sign a lot of free agents?

Do the Giants?

Micjones
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Do the Steelers and Packers sign a lot of free agents?

Do the Giants?

I don't think any of us have advocated signing "alot" of FA's.
But yes, in the three years prior to their Superbowl run the Giants signed quite a few players who made key contributions in getting them that Lombardi trophy.

Bob Dole
03-04-2008, 04:38 PM
It seems pretty apparent that Herm's free agency strategy in 2008 is to accumulate compensatory picks in 2009.

htismaqe
03-04-2008, 05:09 PM
But yes, in the three years prior to their Superbowl run the Giants signed quite a few players who made key contributions in getting them that Lombardi trophy.

How many of them were signed during the early fire sale?

Hoover
03-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I actually one of those "Blind Homers" who is thrilled with out new approach.

On defense we need some depth at DE, a legit CB, and I think its pretty safe to say we will be taking a DT in round one. In all honesty we are setting pretty nice on that side of the ball.

On offense we need a legit #2 WR, a fullback (but we just picked up the dude from Dallas) and preferably 3 offensive linemen, but I think getting three new starters out of the draft/FA is a pipe dream. I think its safe to say that Herb Taylor, Will Svitek, Rudy Niswanger, Tre Stallings (all of whom are 26 and have great size) will be on the roster, and I don't think its a stretch to think that at least one of these guys can nail down one of the starter roles at guard or center. The thought that we have to draft/sign three olinemen is just stupid.

So in short we need to find a starting WR, a blocking TE, maybe a better option at full back, and a started on the line to be in good shape leading up to the draft.

Micjones
03-04-2008, 05:39 PM
How many of them were signed during the early fire sale?

I'll have to do some research and find out.

Logical
03-04-2008, 05:53 PM

I agree completely, however that being said let me speculate that Chiefs will be unable to sign sufficient talent to improve the teams record over last year, and won't even try. There are not enough draft choices to fill all the holes.

scott free
03-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm tired of this guy & Salisbury both...they deserve each other, AsteroidHead should join up with Salisburys Kwality "Brand".

He could be the bootlicking "Business Manager"...letting Sean loudly degrade him when Seans jock buddies show up to hang out & grabass...forced to lie to Seans various stripper girlfriends about his other "date" that night.

Honestly, i've been barking about atleast SOME kind of splash...but maybe, just maybe...its better not to go into that hyped, early market...we managed to get a possible talent for relative peanuts early...i say...KC +1 early.

Not to mention all of the upcoming camp cuts, not that i see a big haul here...but maybe another 2, theres plenty of time & players get more desperate to play (for less $$$) as the season closes in, maybe Herm wants to see how the draft pans out before he plugs a hole or 2 in FA???...though i would still love to see a proven young WR (Johnson) signed sooner over later.

The more i think about the O-line, going into the draft with Waters, Mac, Rudy, Will & Herb isnt such a bad thing considering this is, by most accounts, an O-line heavy draft...then, when we've had a chance to see & sort out everyone together in a team environment...patch up with a FA where necessary.