PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Ron Paul and Bob Barr in talks for Third Party Run

Taco John
03-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Just a rumor that's floating around the Ron Paul circles right now. Apparently the two men have been engaging in meetings to discuss the possiblity for a third party run.

recxjake
03-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Just a rumor that's floating around the Ron Paul circles right now. Apparently the two men have been engaging in meetings to discuss the possiblity for a third party run.

who?

Taco John
03-04-2008, 09:28 PM
who?

Bob Barr is a little before your time. He was a Representative out of Georgia; a well respected conservative who was one of the leaders in the Clinton impeachment effort. He was a Reagan foot soldier with very solid conservative credentials.

He's very strong among Christian conservatives. He was the original author of the Defense of Marraige Act.

SBK
03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
WTF would conservatives be doing running for President? We're well on our way to the USSA!!!!!

chiefforlife
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM

I would like to see that happen.

But hasnt Ron Paul stated many times he would not run as a third party?

SBK
03-04-2008, 10:13 PM
I would like to see that happen.

But hasnt Ron Paul stated many times he would not run as a third party?

He's sitting on a freakin boatload of cash, so why wouldn't he?

StcChief
03-04-2008, 10:14 PM
was there any doubt Paul would really consider this

RINGLEADER
03-04-2008, 10:22 PM
In some states you can't run as a third-party candidate after you run in the primary for a specific party.

Or so some drunk guy told me tonight.

RedDread
03-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Some of the best Philosophers were raging drunks!

I dunno about politicians though...

SBK
03-04-2008, 10:27 PM
In some states you can't run as a third-party candidate after you run in the primary for a specific party.

Or so some drunk guy told me tonight.

That's interesting if true. I'd love to be able to vote for an actual conservative so I'm holding out hope that this rumor is true.

Sidenote, wouldn't Barr be a good pick for McCain as VP? Get someone who's super strong with the conservative movement?

SBK
03-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Some of the best Philosophers were raging drunks!

I dunno about politicians though...

People love Ted Kennedy.

Logical
03-04-2008, 10:28 PM
:grovel::grovel::grovel:
In the slight chance they can siphon off enough votes to cause the Democrats to lose. Besides then I can vote for someone without feeling like a traitor.

SNR
03-04-2008, 11:19 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

In some ways, I'd rather Paul just keep doing what he's doing in his bid for congressman. His influence in the house for other like-minded Republicans still in the congressional races is more important to building a base for paleo-con values than a 3rd party run.

Mr. Kotter
03-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Ask real Americans....if they really give a fugg??? :shrug:

LMAO

Reaper16
03-04-2008, 11:42 PM
He's very strong among Christian conservatives. He was the original author of the Defense of Marraige Act.
Ick.

go bowe
03-04-2008, 11:45 PM
real americans...

is that anything like real fans?

Mr. Kotter
03-04-2008, 11:47 PM
real americans...

Precisely the same sorts... :)

Reaper16
03-04-2008, 11:49 PM
real americans...

Maybe. "Real fans" cry into their beers when they don't get the veteran free-agent with name recognition (Clinton) and don't realize that we need to get younger. :)

SNR
03-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Precisely the same sorts... :)Carl DOES vote Republican, after all....

ClevelandBronco
03-05-2008, 01:02 AM
I know of a Republican named Ron Paul. I have a great deal of respect for him and his ideas. I voted for him in the primary. He would have had a chance to be one of our most important presidents ever if he'd won his party's nomination.

If there's a fourth party candidate with the same name, I've never heard of him.

Boyceofsummer
03-05-2008, 01:07 AM
one of many unwitting buffoons in this movie.

RedDread
03-05-2008, 02:03 AM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8004/paulog4.jpg

ChiefaRoo
03-05-2008, 02:33 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nrqSCn0sBPw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nrqSCn0sBPw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

chagrin
03-05-2008, 06:03 AM
oh no Taco, more flip flopping? Who will you ever vote for now? "Oh no, the choices, what am I going to do?"

patteeu
03-05-2008, 07:02 AM
That's interesting if true. I'd love to be able to vote for an actual conservative so I'm holding out hope that this rumor is true.

Sidenote, wouldn't Barr be a good pick for McCain as VP? Get someone who's super strong with the conservative movement?

Barr left the Republican party for the Libertarians.

My take on this rumor is that if there are really talks going on between the two men, it's more likely that it's Barr talking to Paul about a Barr 3rd party run, not about a Paul/Barr or Barr/Paul run.

Iowanian
03-05-2008, 07:10 AM
all of ronpaul's big internet supporters are now occupied trying to hack and blogging about crushing scientology, and they'd have been successful too, if not for the shining object on the neck of a puppy throwing marine.

Amnorix
03-05-2008, 08:33 AM
:grovel::grovel::grovel:
In the slight chance they can siphon off enough votes to cause the Democrats to lose. Besides then I can vote for someone without feeling like a traitor.

I'm confused by your statement. They would siphon off far more Republican votes than Democrat....

BucEyedPea
03-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Barr left the Republican party for the Libertarians.

My take on this rumor is that if there are really talks going on between the two men, it's more likely that it's Barr talking to Paul about a Barr 3rd party run, not about a Paul/Barr or Barr/Paul run.
I haven't read up on the facts of this situation but this seems more likely. Especially now that Paul defeated Peden (NC) in his district to keep his seat and more Paul-types running for Congress.

Barr did switch to the Libertarians but he has had a hard time on some pure libertarian issues. There has been a good flow of former Pubs into the Libertarian party, while the GOP ( which has moved left) has received more Dems. There would be no need to spend tons of money on getting on ballots in the states with this set up too. But the media won't cover it that much.

Taco John
03-05-2008, 09:18 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

In some ways, I'd rather Paul just keep doing what he's doing in his bid for congressman. His influence in the house for other like-minded Republicans still in the congressional races is more important to building a base for paleo-con values than a 3rd party run.

He's secured his bid for Congressman. He won his primary against Chris Peden in a landslide yesterday, and there is no Democratic challenger.

Taco John
03-05-2008, 09:21 AM
oh no Taco, more flip flopping? Who will you ever vote for now? "Oh no, the choices, what am I going to do?"

What are you talking about? My vote hasn't changed.

Taco John
03-05-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm confused by your statement. They would siphon off far more Republican votes than Democrat....

Not if Hillary somehow wins the nomination. Ron Paul forums have been chock full of Barack Obama supporters who say they'd vote for Ron if Obama wasn't an option.