PDA

View Full Version : The future we have to look forward to...

dallaschiefsfan
03-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Well...this has been mentioned ad nauseum, but this ESPN article about the jets is a perfect example of what we have to look forward to. Getting younger isn't a bad idea...but it doesn't mean getting better when the people running the show don't get it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3278105

One of the more amazing things is the sense of entitlement that the Jets' "vets" have for a team with such a horrible record. At what point is it the new regime's fault vs. Herm's legacy.

I have little hope for this being turned around until the next coach and GM...

RustShack
03-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Don't you ever say that!

Zouk
03-05-2008, 02:17 PM
This is silly. This issue exists in every clubhouse, and really in every workplace. You're telling me people wouldn't bitch in your office if the managers brought in a bunch of outsiders to fill positions with higher salaries that you and your co-workers expected to get? You just hear about it more in NY because they have more than 10 daily beat writers looking for a different story their competitors don't have every single day.

RustShack
03-05-2008, 02:24 PM
The great coaches were bad coaches just like Herm at this point in his career too.

BigRock
03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Well...this has been mentioned ad nauseum, but this ESPN article about the jets is a perfect example of what we have to look forward to. Getting younger isn't a bad idea...but it doesn't mean getting better when the people running the show don't get it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3278105

One of the more amazing things is the sense of entitlement that the Jets' "vets" have for a team with such a horrible record. At what point is it the new regime's fault vs. Herm's legacy.

I have little hope for this being turned around until the next coach and GM...
What are you talking about? Are we going out and throwing huge money at players like the Jets are? No. Are the Jets getting younger? No, this actually says they're doing the opposite, shipping out young players and bringing in old ones.

So how is this what we have to look forward to?

StcChief
03-05-2008, 02:29 PM
ESPN spouting off to their NYC / East coast caring audience. who cares

Hog Farmer
03-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Our defense will be solid this year. Of course they will have to be solid for 55 minutes every Sunday!

dallaschiefsfan
03-05-2008, 02:43 PM
What are you talking about? Are we going out and throwing huge money at players like the Jets are? No. Are the Jets getting younger? No, this actually says they're doing the opposite, shipping out young players and bringing in old ones.

So how is this what we have to look forward to?

We have this to look forward to because the Jets are the Chiefs in 3-4 years after Herm has completely hermanized the Chiefs. We can get young all we want (not a bad thing by itself), but if the guy in charge cannot build a winner, it means zero. Case and point...the Jets.

Herm got them "young"...but they still suck/ed and they're trying to repair Herm's mess. It's completely debatable whether they're taking the right approach...BUT...the fact that they have to do something means that Herm's young team didn't pan out.

What I'm saying is that we will be plugging holes with older free agents in 3-4 years when Herm has drafted a young--but mediocre--team. It's the nature of things...another GM and coach will react to Herm's approach when it yields nothing.

I'm like most guys...I'm ready to get this team young...but with Herm in charge, it means little.

Brock
03-05-2008, 02:48 PM
The Jets problem is Mangini, not the players.

Fish
03-05-2008, 02:56 PM
We have this to look forward to because the Jets are the Chiefs in 3-4 years after Herm has completely hermanized the Chiefs. We can get young all we want (not a bad thing by itself), but if the guy in charge cannot build a winner, it means zero. Case and point...the Jets.

Herm got them "young"...but they still suck/ed and they're trying to repair Herm's mess. It's completely debatable whether they're taking the right approach...BUT...the fact that they have to do something means that Herm's young team didn't pan out.

What I'm saying is that we will be plugging holes with older free agents in 3-4 years when Herm has drafted a young--but mediocre--team. It's the nature of things...another GM and coach will react to Herm's approach when it yields nothing.

I'm like most guys...I'm ready to get this team young...but with Herm in charge, it means little.

:shake:

You really don't make much sense.....

Alphaman
03-05-2008, 02:56 PM

I'm not sure it is totally fair to put that all on Herm. They did change their scheme so some of the talented players no longer fit there. I'd love to get Dwayne Robertson from them.

King_Chief_Fan
03-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Our problem is Edwards

Micjones
03-05-2008, 02:57 PM

A great take and a legitimate question.

el borracho
03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
You should change the title of the thread to "Herm sucks"

dallaschiefsfan
03-05-2008, 03:01 PM
:shake:

You really don't make much sense.....

Hmmm...me only speak English. Tell me what language you need and I'll try to translate. Seriously dude...at least 4 people below you understand what I'm saying...so I got nothin' for you.

dallaschiefsfan
03-05-2008, 03:02 PM
You should change the title of the thread to "Herm sucks"

Touche...

Fish
03-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Hmmm...me only speak English. Tell me what language you need and I'll try to translate. Seriously dude...at least 4 people below you understand what I'm saying...so I got nothin' for you.

How about a language that isn't illogically biased?

At least 4 people understand? Well then.....

Chief Wiggum
03-05-2008, 03:25 PM
I see your point dallaschiefsfan, but I think if we are going to hold Edwards accountable for the Chiefs team he fields this year (and not give him a pass on the Vermeil holdovers) Mangini also needs to be held accountable. It could be debated that Mangini took over a better team in NY than Edwards did in KC because they were younger and more well-balanced than the Chiefs. (The Jets were one season removed from an AFC divisional playoff game where they lost in OT by a FG.)

I'm not saying Edwards is the guy for us, but I think we have to hold both teams/coaches to the same standards and just because the Jets may not be great this year - it's not significantly because of Herm.

BigRock
03-05-2008, 04:23 PM
The Jets are not "case and point". First of all, I don't recall Herm launching some giant youth movement in NY like he seems to want to do here, but that's beside the point. If he did, his youth movement got them an eyelash from the AFC title game in 2004. So what is there to complain about?

Second, your assertion that they're trying to repair Herm's mess is completely inaccurate. The "mess" he left got them back to the playoffs in Mangini's first year after they recovered from their rash of injuries in 2005. That roster was still mostly Herm's players. But when we played the Jets to close the season, how many times did we hear that hardly any of Herm's players were left in New York?

The Jets aren't his team anymore. They've changed the offense, the defense, and got rid of all but a handful of his players. 2007 was Mangini's mess. All this overspending and FA activity is a direct result of the fact that he has to take desperate measures to avoid being out on his ass.

This notion that "here's our future" implies that we'll can Herm and then hire a new coach who will just make Mangini's mistakes all over again. Unless we hire Mangini, that doesn't seem very likely.