PDA

View Full Version : I know not too many Mods Stumble in Here

RedDread
03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
And I know one of the main reasons to have a Politics and Religion subforum is to allow some of our more caustic posters a place to go so they don't get banned for posting their drivel in the main forum.

But seriously, how is it that we allow posters to continue here that spew nothing but insults and never post anything of value?

I know we have low standards, but surely we have some standards, don't we?

banyon
03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
it doesn't matter. Tom c_sh has been banned on multiple occasions and keeps coming back.

jAZ
03-05-2008, 10:12 PM
But seriously, how is it that we allow posters to continue here that spew nothing but insults and never post anything of value?

I know we have low standards, but surely we have some standards, don't we?
You are new here? Since I joined 7 years ago the Planet policy is that you can do just about anything short of threatening someone and it's ok.

And that level of discourse is a cornerstone of the nature of this place. In fact, based on the level of traffic in the Lounge, I'd bet it's far, far MORE caustic there than here.

RedDread
03-05-2008, 10:34 PM
You are new here? Since I joined 7 years ago the Planet policy is that you can do just about anything short of threatening someone and it's ok.

And that level of discourse is a cornerstone of the nature of this place. In fact, based on the level of traffic in the Lounge, I'd bet it's far, far MORE caustic there than here.

Yeah, I like places that don't have hair-trigger mods and let the conversation flow freely. I think it allows for a much better atmosphere to a point. But there are some posters who add absolutely nothing to the discourse and are just there to insult and berate others. I honestly believe that there should be a three rule system for banning ppl on CP

1: People who hack, attempt to hack, or otherwise abuse the server or the BBS itself.

2: People who physically threaten or stalk other users

3: and my aforementioned: People who add absolutely nothing to the board ever and are just there to stir the shit.

Sure a bit of tit-for-tat every once in a while isn't bad and I understand when posters get into an arguement, but if you're trying to piss someone off everytime you hit the "Submit Reply" button, your ass should be grass.

a1na2
03-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I like places that don't have hair-trigger mods and let the conversation flow freely. I think it allows for a much better atmosphere to a point. But there are some posters who add absolutely nothing to the discourse and are just there to insult and berate others. I honestly believe that there should be a three rule system for banning ppl on CP

1: People who hack, attempt to hack, or otherwise abuse the server or the BBS itself.

3: and my aforementioned: People who add absolutely nothing to the board ever and are just there to stir the shit.

Sure a bit of tit-for-tat every once in a while isn't bad and I understand when posters get into an arguement, but if you're trying to piss someone off everytime you hit the "Submit Reply" button, your ass should be grass.

Have you ever heard of the ignore selection? I hear it works well, you might try it if you can't stand the heat.

Hydrae
03-05-2008, 10:39 PM

It's about freedom dude. :Peace:

Sorry, I usually have avatars turned off since I am at work. I am home now and couldn't say that any other way while looking at yours.

jAZ
03-05-2008, 10:43 PM

I gave up my quest for stricter rules about 6 months after I joined.

There is a means that *used* to be honored (by Phobia before he quit being a Mod here) that the community could ban a user by voting in a poll. It worked pretty well. A few, but very few, people were banned using that method. TC was one of them. Someone like Denise made it through more than one poll even though most don't like her too much.

It was a decent system. But even that doesn't really have any teeth anymore, it seems.

Jenson71
03-06-2008, 01:18 AM
A spectre is haunting Washington D.C. and the Holy Land...

There seem to be a few factors as to why the tension has been high around here. The Democratic race is digging trenches for total war. The Chiefs are unsatisfying. Winter is still fighting on - and we're tired of it. But one stands above the rest.

I think the D.C. and Holy Land forum are important for us. It's good discussion. It is the agora of our day.

But just as the village drunk/idiot could pollute the public good with his obnoxious ways and denigrate the ancients' minds of matters of importance, so too, we experience this now.

At times, the citizens could stand up as a community, and with shards of clay pots, throw in their vote for decade long expulsion.

Maybe we can't take that measure up. But I feel some action must be taken, because this spectre is rotting good conversation, intelligence and quality posters. Whether it be through a simple ignore, with an understanding that no one quotes Tom, and the important conversation goes on, or a demand that the moderators ban Tom from the subforum, or any solution. Soon, an attention seeker will have to find another outlet. Let's push that effort.