PDA

View Full Version : Dean: Ricks making move from wide to tight

keg in kc
08-07-2001, 11:51 PM
Ricks making move from wide to tight (http://chiefszone.com/stories/080801/foo_ricks.shtml)

By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal

RIVER FALLS, Wis. -- It wasn't the most glamorous assignment, but wide receiver Mikhael Ricks didn't hesitate when the Kansas City Chiefs asked him to bulk up and become a tight end.
The Chiefs, consequently, may not have the most glamorous offense when they occasionally line up in a two-tight end look -- usually a running formation. Which is exactly what Kansas City wants its opponents to think in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

"With Tony (Gonzalez) and me in there at the same time, somebody's going to get covered by a linebacker or a safety," Ricks noted correctly. "Tony's such a good receiver, he's going to get open in that situation. And if we're playing two guys like that at the same time, you're bound to get a mismatch."

As the best tight end in football today, Gonzalez (6-foot-4, 248 pounds) made his name -- and caught 93 passes last year -- largely by outrunning linebackers and overpowering safeties. With Ricks (6-5, 242) also in the lineup, the Chiefs hope to utilize two such weapons.

"When you have both of them in there at the same time, it's double trouble for safeties and linebackers -- particularly shorter safeties," coach Dick Vermeil explained. "There's not much difference in size between them, and when (Ricks) gets in between linebackers, just like when Tony does, he's a huge target."

This move requires some personal sacrifices from Ricks.

When he was a 235-pound wideout during his two-plus seasons in San Diego, Ricks always enjoyed a size advantage over cornerbacks. As a tight end, however, he'll be banging heads with much larger defensive tackles and equally nasty linebackers.

But Ricks, whose size always placed him in "tweener" country between tight ends and wideouts, seems up to the challenge.

Going back inside, you see, was really a homecoming.

"I played tight end for Stephen F. Austin for three years," explained Ricks, who moved outside as a senior and set an NCAA Division II record by averaging 28.9 yards a reception. "Even at the (scouting) combine, a lot of teams looked at me as a tight end, though they wanted me to put on some weight to do it."

But the Chargers, in making Ricks their second-round draft pick in 1998, were intrigued by the idea of the oversized wide receiver. And with good reason. As a rookie, Ricks caught 30 passes and averaged 15 yards a grab. His 40-catch year in '99 was his best as a pro.

Keeping his weight at wideout levels was a challenge, however, and the Chargers released Ricks after five games (and only three catches) last year. He wasn't in shape to help the Chiefs when he was acquired Oct. 11, and he suited up for only one game.

It wasn't until Vermeil's second mini-camp in June that the Chiefs finally moved Ricks inside. But the transition appears ready to pay dividends.

With Ricks in the game, the Chiefs can better utilize Gonzalez as a wide receiver. Moreover, they can shift from a two-tight end look into any number of mismatch-creating formations.

Consider the possibilities. Kansas City can line up with two tight ends, two running backs and one wide receiver -- a running formation that dictates a running defense. But then Gonzalez shifts wide, taking an undersized cornerback with him. Then, running back Priest Holmes becomes a slot receiver, and the Chiefs suddenly have a three-wide offense that still has an effective runner (Tony Richardson) in the backfield. Then, just for more fun, Ricks also splits wide and now quarterback Trent Green has a four-wideout package.

"We still have to wait and see how (opponents) play that combination," Vermeil said.

Learning to block tackles and linebackers will be the biggest adjustment for Ricks, who is more used to blocking cornerbacks and safeties.

"But he's tough and he can learn," Vermeil said. "We're not asking him to knock a defensive lineman off the line of scrimmage very often. If he can stay in there and hold his own and do certain things, he can be very effective."

Camp notes

It's a law of physics that dark-colored clothing absorbs heat faster than light-colored clothes. But spreading around the heat-related misery of this camp wasn't the reason coach Dick Vermeil put his offense in red practice jerseys and his defense in white for possibly the first time in Chiefs history.

"Someone told me once that it might be smart if your quarterback is going to be throwing to people in red jerseys on Sunday, you ought to wear that jersey on the practice field," said Vermeil, who said he always has his offense practicing in the uniform they will wear for that week's game. "I don't know if it makes any difference, but I've just always done it that way."

The Chiefs, like most NFL teams, traditionally keep their offensive players in white jerseys with the defense in red.

• Wide receiver Snoop Minnis, who missed several workouts last week with an ankle injury, was back at practice Tuesday. He competed in one-on-one and seven-on-seven drills, but was held out of 11-on-11 work. Derrick Mayes continued to play with the first team in his absence.

• Tuesday was a good day for former Kansas State defensive end Monty Beisel. In the morning's special teams practice, he caught one of three passes Dan Stryzinski threw on fake punts. Stryzinski, the punter and holder on field goals, also practiced throwing off fake field goals.

In the afternoon session, Beisel -- playing with the second-team defense -- intercepted a pass he batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Rausch
08-08-2001, 12:03 AM
I think he'll make it...

Hope so...Just to **** off the Bolts...:D

keg in kc
08-08-2001, 12:18 AM
I don't see how he can't make it. Every day the camp reports are saying he's made some eye-popping catch...

I like the move (obviously). We've talked the different 2TE possibilites into the ground over the last couple of months, hehe. ;)

Flexibility is a good thing.

HC_Chief
08-08-2001, 07:50 AM
If Ricks retains his speed with that added weight, he'll mke an excellent TE! Think about havin <i>two</i> Tony Gonzales' on your team?! :eek:

Phobia
08-08-2001, 07:53 AM
I certainly think he's gonna make it as #2 - I've said that from the day he moved to TE. His momma can vouch for me. :D

milkman
08-08-2001, 07:56 AM
If this move works, and I believe thatit will, in this particular case, you just gotta love that bigger is better philosophy of Gunther's.
It just may pay some dividends here.

Mark M
08-08-2001, 08:25 AM
The formation the writer describes is exactly what this offense is all about: Mis-matches. Everyone talks about speed, but it is this kind of thing that will make this offense tick.

Ricks just adds to it from the TE position ... something he wouldn't have done as a WR.

MM
~~Glad to see something from the Goon era is working out.

ChiTown
08-08-2001, 08:34 AM
How many TE's will we keep. I'll assume 4 and Ricks will be considered a TE/WR. So that would mean Gonzo, Dunn, Ricks and I'll assume Baber, since he was a 5th rder. Any thoughts?

milkman
08-08-2001, 08:43 AM
ChiTown,
Keg and I talked about this a couple of days ago.
Unless Cadrez beats out Gammon at LS, which seems highly unlikely, then Gammon will be listed as a TE as well.
Idon't htink the Chiefs can afford to use 5 roster spots on TEs.
Someone will be the odd man out.
I'm thinking that Baber will end up on the PS.

philfree
08-08-2001, 08:47 AM
This is very interesting. I believe even if we still had Gun as HC we would be doing the same thing in respect to this formation. Last year during the season I read a Rufus Dawes article that was basically pimping the two tight end set and now even with the coaching change here it is. We used it last year and now we are going to take it to another level this year. Rams West? Hardly! I think we are going to have our special offense that deviates from all other versions of Air Coryell. I hope they give us a good preview Sunday night.

PhilFree :cool:
~Sees fear in the eyes of the enemy~

Phobia
08-08-2001, 08:49 AM
It depends on how well Ricks converts in Camp. If he can block reasonably well (and I've not heard how his blocking is progressing), Dunn could very well be the odd man out - and I'd actually prefer that. Dunn counts against the cap more than the other guys and he isn't a KC developed player.....

milkman
08-08-2001, 08:59 AM
The thing about Dunn is his size. He's bigger than the other TEs, and will likely be used for blocking purposes in goal line situations.
Of course, they could cut him, and use a tackle-eligible in those situations.

ChiTown
08-08-2001, 09:01 AM
Milkman

I totally forgot about the LS situation. You got to think that the coaches are completely pulling for Cadrez to make a move to push Gammon out of this position. Gammon has done an admirable job, but we are just to short on talent to carry a guy just to snap on punts and PK'ing.

Phob

I disagree on Dunn. He is the only true blocking TE we have on the roster. I'm not well read enogh with the team's offensive philosophy yet to know whether or not the blocking TE has a role. However, if you have Ricks and Gonzo as your main TE's (they are really pass catchers and not blockers), then you are down to a snapper and a rookie as your other choices for running situations in a 2 TE set. My unprofessional guess is that they keep Dunn on the roster for his blocking abilities and size (+270 lbs.).

Phobia
08-08-2001, 09:06 AM
I completely agree, ChiTown - that's why I think if Ricks can show some blocking skill Dunn will be gone. I like Dunn but he can play for a smashmouth team like the Skins or Pissburg better than for KC.

ChiTown
08-08-2001, 09:12 AM
Phil, point taken.

I'm just not convinced you can take a pass catching WR, and convert him into a good enough blocking TE to be effective in running situations.

I hope he get's a few reps on running plays this Sunday so we can witness the progress.

Ethelyn
08-08-2001, 10:46 AM
Mikhael was a tight end for 3 years in college before the conversion to WR. He's gonna to just great:D and yes KPhobia, I do remember your words. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I won't be able to see or hear the game down here in Houston, so someone e-mail me at either ethelynl@yahoo.com or ericks@natco-us.com to let me know how the team does.

Phobia
08-08-2001, 10:59 AM
Ethelyn,

You should be able to catch the game at one of the major sportsbars with satellites on the roof - not the small dishes, but big dishes. SRO always has it and preseason games usually don't draw out the drunk rowdies.....

bishop_74
08-08-2001, 11:08 AM
Yeah, or come over to Austin to watch it with me and my friends. We are going to the Warehouse to watch it on Satellite. It should be fun. :)

phillfree
08-08-2001, 12:14 PM
The highlight of the drill was a one handed catch by Mikhael Ricks. Ricks was fighting off safety Jason Belser and was running out of room towards the near sideline as he stuck his hand out and caught a beautifully placed ball from Collins. --Camp WebSite

Your boy is doing good Ethelyn! Very good!

htismaqe
08-08-2001, 12:52 PM
I don't think we have to worry about blocking in running situations. Both Tony and Ricks will be adequate enough in run blocking, I think the staff is more focused on creating mismatches in the passing game. If that's the case, I can't see any reason NOT to give the #2 job to Ricks. He's outperforming anyone else.

I wouldn't count on Dunn being around too much longer. Actually, I'm not surprised that he hasn't suffered a season-ending injury yet.

Ethelyn
08-08-2001, 01:48 PM
Apparently through the KC Star, some media person said that Mikhael was really talked to the first day at practice, because he wasn't running hard enough. He told me that he weighed 252 pounds and that was hard for any tight end to carry around. He's down to 242 now and he says that he feels great. I think that it should even out with Gonzales listed as 6'4" 247 lbs, and Mikhael being 6'5", weighing 242 pounds. He sounds fine and is having the time of his life. I've been to the River Falls web site, and he seems to be in the "groove" at his almost new position.

Keep the faith, and hopefully I'll see some of y'all at the first game, now really knowing who y'all are, but I'll be able to feel ya. In the Sporting News online was this piece:

Mikhael Ricks - WR, Kansas City Chiefs - Aug 7 4:58 pm TSN's Adam Teicher says to expect Ricks to be used frequently because the Chiefs will use two tight-end sets to take advantage of their surplus at that position as opposed to their paucity at wide receiver. What is PAUCITY? :confused:

Gaz
08-08-2001, 01:51 PM
A paucity is a scarcity or dearth of a resource.

xoxo~
Gaz
Mr. Webster's right hand man.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-08-2001, 01:52 PM
Paucity - thinness, lack of...

Refering to the fact that the Chiefs only have a couple of seasoned receivers (and one being from the CFL), due to Free Agency and injury.

HC_Chief
08-08-2001, 01:53 PM
<b>pau·ci·ty (pôs-t)</b> <i>n. </i>

1. Smallness of number; fewness.
2. Scarcity; dearth: a paucity of natural resources.

Ethlyn - check out http://www.dictionary.com (I use it all the time... unashamedly so!) :D

Ethelyn
08-08-2001, 01:53 PM
Thanks sir for the definition of that word. Please see below

Chiefs' practice more as heat wave subsides

By IVAN CARTER - The Kansas City Star
Date: 08/08/01 13:04

RIVER FALLS, WISC-The nasty heat wave of late subsided somewhat on Wednesday morning allowing the Chiefs to hold their most complete practice in days. Some highlights and notable events from the morning practice:

Because of the ridiculously humid conditions of the past few days, head coach Dick Vermeil has been hesitant to make the players don full pads. That changed in the morning when the players wore helmets and full pads for the entire practice without extra discomfort.

Rookie wide receiver Marvin "Snoop" Minnis saw his most extensive action since twisting an ankle last Thursday night. Minnis participated in drills with the receivers and also took part in a handful of 11-on-11 sets. Vermeil said he expects Minnis to see extensive action in Sunday night's preseason opener against Washington.

Defensive line coach Bob Karmelowicz was thrilled with his players' performance in a pass rush drill. Karmelowicz's starters and reserves clearly got the best of their offensive counterparts. Of course, offensive line coach Mike Solari was not as thrilled.

In keeping with a new linebacker tradition, Richard Jordan dropped and performed 25 push ups as penance immediately after dropping an interception during an 11-on-11 drill.
"You should do 100 for dropping that one," Donnie Edwards chirped.

Rookie free agent kicker Lawrence Tynes made seven of seven attempts from 28 yards in a field goal drill. Veteran Todd Peterson did not kick.

Punter Dan Stryzinski, who was signed as a free agent in the offseason, continues to produce booming punts with exceptional hang time.

Safety Greg Wesley laid the hit of the morning on running back Mike Cloud on a screen pass.

Tight end Mikhael Ricks seems to get better every day. The converted wide receiver has excellent hands and is picking up the nuisances of running routes as a tight end. On one play, he outran the tight coverage of safety Jason Belser and made a one-handed catch on a deep pass down the sideline.

Chiefs quarterbacks and centers continue to struggle on snaps. On one play, center Casey Wiegmann and quarterback Trent Green fumbled a snap, causing Green to kick the ball out of frustration.

"It's been a terrible problem," Vermeil said. "It's been a big problem in this camp, more so than I've ever seen. It's like I told them, I could go to the opening high school game all through this valley and not see a quarterback exchange problem."

The wide receiver position continues to be snake-bitten by injury. While Minnis returned to action, Larry Parker (quad) and Tony Horne (hamstring) did not practice. Rookie free agent Dave Klemic stepped out of practice early after straining his hamstring.

Tribal Warfare
08-08-2001, 02:33 PM
http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/updates.html

Five offensive players missed this morning's practice at Ramer Field. Fullbacks George Layne and Jermaine Williams and wide receivers Dante Hall, Larry Parker, and Tony Horne all missed practice.

The defensive injury report today was same old, same old. Defensive linemen Dan Williams and Terdell Sands were still out. Linebackers Larry Atkins and Wes Robertson both were missing from action. In the secondary, Brad Trout once again watched from the sidelines.

The defense started the morning warm up in song. The normally low toned players were singing a falsetto version of "Roxanne" originally done by the Police.

Place kicker Lawrence Tynes practiced by himself for most of the morning practice kicking field goals.

The 7-on-7 passing drill made Trent Green look good again. Green was six for nine and threw two touchdowns to tight end Tony Gonzalez and running back Derrick Blaylock. Todd Collins and Bubby Brister held their own throwing three of six and three of four, respectively. The highlight of the drill was a one handed catch by Mikhael Ricks. Ricks was fighting off safety Jason Belser and was running out of room towards the near sideline as he stuck his hand out and caught a beautifully placed ball from Collins.

After a good catch by wide receiver Chris Thomas, head coach Dick Vermeil ran up and commented, "Just keep making plays, just make plays." Thomas has moved up on the depth chart over the course of the training camp. Thomas who came into the training camp as a Canadian Football League defector, has made a huge impression on the coaching staff and more importantly Vermeil.

Some of the players were disgruntled about having to stretch at the end of practice. The always vocal offensive lineman Victor Riley had a comment, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Vice President of Player Personnel and Operations Lynn Stiles commented after practice about the up coming weekend. "We need to hit somebody else right now. The guys are ready and we need to see how far in the development process we are." The team travels back to Kansas City on Saturday afternoon to play a Sunday exhibition game against the Washington Redskins at Arrowhead Stadium.

Special teams coach Frank Gansz, Jr., one of the most intense coaches on staff was interviewed after practice and was asked if he liked his personnel. "At this point, I love 90 guys, but by the end of camp, I can only love 53. I think we have a solid group of men, and we are really developing."

For the first time in camp, the Chiefs looked at a five-wide receiver set. They have also been dabbling with the shotgun formation.

During all red zone drills * both seven-on-seven and full team work * quarterback Trent Green took all the snaps.

Tight ends Tony Gonzalez and Mikhael Ricks both worked with the wide receivers during individual passing drills. All the other tight ends practiced with the offensive line.

Tempers boiled as hot as the temperatures at Ramer Field. Guard Robert Hunt and defensive end Derrick Ransom got in a shoving match and had to be separated by several of their teammates.

Wide receiver Derrick Mayes helped make light of the team's skirmish today during practice. While the other players were trying to break up a fight on the field, Mayes playfully ran up to cornerback Pat Dennis and gave him a light shove on the chest.

Wide receiver Chris Thomas has been a silent leader of the receiving corps. The six-year pro, who has worked with Trent Green in both Washington and St. Louis is well versed in the offense and is not afraid to take young guys aside. Today, he coached rookie wide receiver Dave Klemic through one play, telling him to line up wider. After the play, he met Klemic coming off the field.

Kicker Lawrence Tynes made all seven of his attempts from 28 yards out. Punter Dan Stryzinski averaged 49.3 yards on seven boots.

The quarterbacks didn't have the best of numbers this morning. Starter Trent Green received most of the snaps, going 7-of-12 for 70 yards and an interception to Pat Dennis. Todd Collins was 3-of-6 for 45 yards, and Bubby Brister was 2-of-6 for 11 yards.

One of the biggest problems in camp thus far has been the inconsistency in the snap. Again today, the Chiefs fumbled a snap during full team drills. "It's been a big problem at this camp, more so than I have ever seen," head coach Dick Vermeil said after practice. "Like I told them, you could go to an opening high school game all through this valley and may not see a quarterback-center exchange problem. We just have to correct those problems."

The backup quarterback job obviously is between Todd Collins and Bubby Brister. Both have very different personalities with Collins being very quiet while Brister is more flamboyant. Vermeil commented on Collins' personality. "Todd has to be Todd," he said. "I think the players respect Todd. He was with them all in the off-season, in the weight room everyday with the offensive linemen, defensive linemen. Todd will grow as he gains more confidence in himself and gets in that routine, but Todd Collins has never been an extrovert, and chances are you aren't going to make him one."

The linemen were busy today during two-on-two drills and one-on-one drills. The tandem of Duane Clemons and Derrick Ransom was very effective in two-on-two play. On one play, three players got all tripped up and fell into a pile of bodies. Rookie Eric Downing also looked very good, making a very elusive move on Robert Hunt during two-on-two drills. The move drew many praises from the Chiefs' coaches. During one-on-one drills the offensive line looked very good. Victor Riley stopped defensive end Tyrone Williams on three straight plays. Marcus Spears and Casey Wiegmann also looked good. After practice, Wiegmann commented on whose fault it is on a fumbled snap. "It's always the center's fault."

Wide receiver J.J. Moses was given a couple of chances to run the ball today. He had one 9-yard run on an end around. Later, on a reverse, he went from the left sideline all the way back to the right sideline on a cutback run for 20 yards.

The defense was working on kick blocking today and was unsuccessful in seven tries. Linebacker Andre Oąneal was extremely close to getting his hands on one of the kicks.

As evidence indicates their will be an abundance of double TE sets. :cool:

philfree
08-08-2001, 06:34 PM
The practice ended on a good note. On a fourth-and-ten from the 10-yard line, Trent Green threw a touchdown strike to Mikhael Ricks in front of cornerback Eric Warfield--Camp Website

Yet another good catch and a TD!

htismaqe
08-08-2001, 06:40 PM
I think Ricks is well on his way to sewing up the #2 spot...god this is getting exciting...

philfree
08-08-2001, 07:00 PM
Hey hts, This is exciting! I've been hoping Ricks would work out like this every since we picked him up from the Chargers. The rare combination of the talents of he and TonyG give us a chance to have a special offense that will be hard to stop. The only problem I see is that the fans at The Head won't no how to cheer for offense.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2001, 07:10 PM
The possibility of having 2 Gonzos excites me!

htismaqe
08-08-2001, 07:19 PM
Trust me...the offensive-minded fans at Arrowhead will cheer uncontrollably...

DaWolf
08-08-2001, 10:00 PM
Offense: Quarterback Trent Green went three for four with two touchdowns in a morning red-zone drill.... Tight end Mikhael Ricks beat the tight coverage of safety Jason Belser and made a sensational one-handed catch on a long pass near the sideline.... Wide receiver Marvin Minnis looked like the Vikings' Cris Carter when Minnis toed the line and extended his arms to make a reception on the sideline.... Rookie running back Derrick Blaylock continues to make plays as a receiver out of the backfield. He twice got free for long gains while running seam routes.... Receiver Derrick Mayes made two leaping catches on fade patterns during the afternoon practice.... Tight end Tony Gonzalez turned an ankle in the second practice but the it is not serious, according to head coach Dick Vermeil.

RICKS IMPROVING

After a slow start to training camp that included an on-field chewing out by offensive coordinator Al Saunders, former wide receiver Ricks is catching on to this whole tight-end thing. Literally.

Ricks made several outstanding catches Wednesday -- including a gem in the end zone on the final play of the afternoon practice -- and is emerging as a legitimate match for Gonzalez when the Chiefs go to a two-tight-end set.

"I'll tell you what, he's getting better every day," quarterback Bubby Brister said. "He's big, he's fast and he's catching everything thrown his way. With him and Tony, we might have two of the most athletic tight ends around."

Though Ricks played wide receiver with San Diego during 1998 to 2000 -- and was acquired by the Chiefs in midseason last year to do the same -- the Chiefs think Ricks has the size (6 feet 5, 242 pounds) to be an effective tight end.

According to Vermeil, the key for Ricks is to continue making plays in practice and make the most of any opportunities he gets in the preseason games. Ricks says he's game.

"At first it was kind of tough to make the adjustment but I'm becoming more and more comfortable with it," Ricks said. "It is different from receiver, but the one thing that is the same is -- you have to catch the ball. I can do that."

http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/sports.pat,sports/3acce1db.808,.html

Fat Elvis
08-08-2001, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by HC_Chief
<b>pau·ci·ty (pôs-t)</b> <i>n. </i>

1. Smallness of number; fewness.
2. Scarcity; dearth: a paucity of natural resources.

Ethlyn - check out http://www.dictionary.com (I use it all the time... unashamedly so!) :D

I used it last night to look up "mook.":D

Ethelyn
08-09-2001, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the definition of that word.

Chiefs football is getting exciting

keg in kc
08-09-2001, 07:15 AM
You said it ELRB!

I love this time of year :)

DaWolf
08-10-2001, 09:42 PM
Daily Ricks update:

Offense: The offense worked extensively on short-yardage passing situations and on its three-receiver sets....Rookie receiver Marvin Minnis appears to be back at full strength after suffering an ankle injury last week. Minnis played in several of the three-receiver sets and will play Sunday night....Quarterback Trent Green continues to look for Mikhael Ricks when he's on the field in the two-tight-end set. Ricks has been especially effective on a deep seam route down the middle.

I just hope he's not one of those annual guys we seem to get, like a Perry Carter or a Jessie Haynes, who looks great in practice but does nothing once the game comes around. Hopefully it translates into live game action, because this could be real special if we've got two TE's with this kind of ability to get downfield...

Rausch
08-10-2001, 09:52 PM
Chiefs quarterbacks and centers continue to struggle on snaps. On one play, center Casey Wiegmann and quarterback Trent Green fumbled a snap, causing Green to kick the ball out of frustration.

"It's been a terrible problem," Vermeil said. "It's been a big problem in this camp, more so than I've ever seen. It's like I told them, I could go to the opening high school game all through this valley and not see a quarterback exchange problem."

This is what bothers me...

A no win situation. We either let go of Grunny for an undersized center who can't even get the ball to his qb, or traded a first round pick for a qb that can't even get the snap down right.

Either way, not good. Is Grunny still in "game shape?"....We may need him, or SOMEONE....:mad:

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 07:51 AM
I can't wait to see Ricks tomorrow night. This could be something really special.

KCJohnny
08-11-2001, 08:04 AM
Mikhael Ricks is not another Jesse Haynes. Ricks is a proven NFL vet who has gone up gainst dozens of NFL defenses and made plays.
It is no secret that KCJ is thrilled about this development. The prospect of a formation featuring two TEs who can both run and catch with Tony Richardson in the backfield is awesome: the Chiefs can run or throw with success from that set, and teams have to respect the mismatches. SOMEbody will be open. I hope this snap-exchange thing gets cleaned up.

This could get real interesting.

KCJ
Glad DV is inching away from the '99 Rams template in favor of a power CHIEFS attack

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 08:16 AM
KCJ,

I noticed you mention only TRich. Methinks you're secretly only excited about the possibility to run TRich right up Wiegmann's butt in this formation...

KCJohnny
08-11-2001, 08:19 AM
Actually, T-Rich IMO is a threat to go inside/outside/to the flat for the pass or OTHER. The guy is awesome from anyplace on the field.

I'll tell you one thing, when you can run inside successfully, you can do anything else you want to on offense.

KCJ
Play-action lover

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 08:21 AM
Yeah, Johnny, we have this other running back that can run inside/out and will most likely play in these formations:

his name is Priest Holmes...

KCJohnny
08-11-2001, 11:35 AM
Holmes is a 3rd down back in an offense that will treat every down/distance as 3rd and long.
When crunch time comes, look for #49 to get the ball.
KCJ
Can't wait to see Donnell Bennett again....:cool:

htismaqe
08-11-2001, 12:06 PM
Johnny,

You sound like a Marty clone. I wouldn't expect to see too much of "crunch time" in this offense. We won't play to protect a lead like Marty always did. I expect to see this offense to continue to go for throat until the game is over.

Ethelyn
08-13-2001, 08:06 AM
What is the opinion of Mikhael now that he has gotten a pre-season game under his belt?

chop
08-13-2001, 08:11 AM
So far he has added another demension to our Offense that really excites me. I think this is a great move not only for him but the entire Chiefs offense.

He has got to be more excited about football this year than he was last year. I wish him luck.

Thinking about jumping on the Ricks bandwagon.

htismaqe
08-13-2001, 08:11 AM
Ethelyn,

If Mikhael keeps playing like that, he's not only going to be the #2 tight end, he's going to put up some good numbers too. He's one of the guys I'm most excited about...

HC_Chief
08-13-2001, 08:17 AM
I thought Mikhael looked great last night. Talk about an exciting option: <i>another</i> big, athletic TE that causes mismatches!

I see the 2-TE set with Gonzo and Ricks(we need a nickname for him!) being our most dangerous formation (with DA + Snoop/Thomas/or Mayes at WR & Holmes or TRich in the backfield)

Phobia
08-13-2001, 08:23 AM
My opinion hasn't changed, Ethelyn. I think he's gonna be awesome at #2 TE. He sure looked great last night. Did you have the opportunity to get to a sports bar to see the game?

You should be proud - he dropped nothing, made a really nice catch, and didn't miss any blocks (that I could see).

My only question was adapting to blocking larger defenders instead of the DB's & LB's you have to block as a WR. I didn't really see him do any of that last night, but you can bet I'll be watching in the next couple games.

keg in kc
08-13-2001, 08:29 AM
It's got the potential to be a key move.

I like the way Bill Maas just put it on the radio, it gives Kansas City a duo like Ken Dilger and Marcus Pollard, two big (tall) athletic tight ends who can beat you downfield.

It's going to have an effect on both the running game and the passing game. If they keep the defense big, then chances are a safety will cover Gonzo and a LB or a D-lineman (zone blitz...) will have to cover Mikhael. Mismatch for Ricks, bigtime, because he's got the speed and the height to beat any of those guys.

On the other hand, if they go small, and bring in extra DBs, we can just pound the ball with either T-Rich or Holmes.

No win scenario for the defense, and it's going to be awfully hard to cover everyone...

But we've GOT to stay healthy for it to work.

Ethelyn
08-13-2001, 08:30 AM
It's funny - I was telling a story about Mikhael the other night about his high school play. He played quarterback on offense and DB on defense. A man passed right by him and made a touchdown. After the game I asked him why he didn't stop the man and he told me that it wasn't his man. He was covering the man that the coach told him to, so maybe all of the men that he was supposed to cover were already "covered":D DV said in an interview last week that he was more or a receiver/blocker than a blocker/receiver. Imagine that?

Phobia
08-13-2001, 08:36 AM
KEG - initially, I thought the same thing as Maas - KC will have similar TE's to Indy's combo. However, I really believe that we have 2 of the most prolific TE's in football. Indy's Tight Ends don't even come close to the gem we've uncovered. Given a year to adapt, Ricks could and probably will start for any team. I hope Carl has the foresight to lock him up longterm soon. I'm thinking his contract has no more than 2 years left.....

Yeah, yeah - I know it's only 1 preseason game, but Ricks has been waiting to explode and San Diego never gave him an opportunity. I've been tooting Ricks horn as a Fantasy Football star for over 2 years - yeah, I looked pretty stupid for 2 years, but I'm glad to see I'm not as stupid as some of my FFL bretheren thought I was. :D

Ethelyn
08-13-2001, 08:41 AM
This is the last year on Mikhael's contract. Okay now I need some help. I had a post on the BB. The name was "Ethelyn". Did someone delete it, or did I do something stupid. Someone answered it and now I can't find it. HELP:confused:

keg in kc
08-13-2001, 08:41 AM
That was just to compare the names, Phil, nothing more.

I think Dilger is the most "complete" TE in the game, in that he's a great blocker, making him sort of the "blocker/receiver" that ELRB was talking about. T-Gon and Ricks are both "receiver/blockers" and I don't really consider either one to be traditional tight ends, they're a hybrid of TE and WR.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, because I don't think defenses can possibly cover them both, and still cover our WRs and backs with anything more than single coverage, and that's big advatage us..

This might cut a little into Gonzo's production actually, so the poor guy might be stuck with only 75 or 80 catches ( :rolleyes: ), while Ricks "leeches" 35 or 40 from Tony and the other guys...

Then again, I have a feeling we'll have more balls to divide among the receivers this season, too, if they can continue to have long drives.

Ethelyn, I'm the one who did the other thread, I'm still listening but nothing yet.

htismaqe
08-13-2001, 08:46 AM
The long play down the sideline last night to Ricks was because they had a D-LINEMAN covering him...

keg in kc
08-13-2001, 08:50 AM
Ethelyn, the show hosts just said he'll be on during the 10 o'clock hour, so I wasn't hallucinating. ;)

I'll keep you updated.

Ethelyn
08-13-2001, 08:56 AM
He just called me, after I called him on his motorola pager, inquiring about his shoulder. They're gonna call him about 10:00 a.m. or so. Thanks for keeping me in the loop. He may not play against Chicago, because of his shoulder.

keg in kc
08-13-2001, 09:18 AM
Okay, Ethelyn, it was a pretty short interview, 3-5 minutes, but he talked about several different things, like how he doesn't have to worry about getting fined because of his weight now that he's a tight end (:)), how he likes Al Saunders and the offense and how accurate Trent Green is. He talked a little about training camp and their schedule this week leading into the SD game. I zoned-out for a second (fiance interruption...) and I'm not sure what I missed, I think he might have been talking a little about San Diego and coming here.

All-in-all it was not too long, but I thought he was pretty well-spoken and seemed pretty intelligent. I believe that's actually the first time that I've heard his voice since he came to town and I'd say he did a pretty good job.

The hosts of the show really seem to like him a lot, btw, and are really talking about how good a move they think moving him to TE is. Sound a lot like what some folks at the game are saying...

Ethelyn
08-13-2001, 09:26 AM
Thanks - I'm gonna make a copy of this and send it to his grandmother and grandfather. I'm glad that he did alright and I'm glad to have a fellow KC fan like yourself who can keep me in the loop. Sorry about the fiance interruption, but you know whom comes first:D