PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Downtown Dallas Must-Dos

Archie F. Swin
08-08-2001, 01:48 PM
Mrs. Pants and I have chosen to spend our Anniversary (Friday evening) in Downtown Dallas. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some things to do in the West End area (entertainment, art, eating and so on) . We'll be staying at the Hyatt. I was hoping we could walk to whatever we want to do, but I wouldn't mind driving.

It's funny . . . Ive lived within hours of Dallas for 20 years. And the closest I've been to downtown, is a quick pass on the Stemmons.

Phobia
08-08-2001, 02:09 PM
I know downtown FTW better than dallas and from what I understand, the Downtown revitalization project has been MUCH more successful in FTW than the sister city. I've stayed the weekend in Dallas and was bored out of my mind.

The southwest side of downtown Dallas is your artsie fartsy district - your consierge can direct you there and it's within walking distance but you may opt to drive depending on the time of day.

Here are a couple of links for you.

http://www.switchboard.com/bin/cginbr.dll?C=Hotels+%26+Motels&CID=29&L=hyatt&T=Dallas&S=TX&CHKLIST=2&SEQ=00&BUS=7050683&SK=00&TTL=Location&MEM=1&APPID=29463&ACTION=Standard&TYPE=1050

http://dallas.citysearch.com

Citysearch normally has good events and arts exibits, but the one for Dallas SUCKS.

Happy anniversary. Best of luck.

Mark M
08-08-2001, 02:15 PM
Downtown Dallas Must-Dos

Step One: Spill gasoline
Step Two: Drop a match
Step Three: Wait for fire to go out
Step Four: Start over

MM
~~Sharing his suggestions for Dallas' revitalization.

bishop_74
08-08-2001, 02:16 PM
Skip Dallas, you and the Mrs. ought to come down to San Marcos and sit in a tube and float down the river with beer in hand for 6 hours like I did a couple of weeks ago. Man, I haven't been that relaxed in a looong time. It is super romantic too. ;)

Seriously though, I don't know much about Dallas. Happy Anniversary anyway, hope you have fun.

Phobia
08-08-2001, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I could direct you to some VERY nice spots (B&B type places) in or near hill country. I hope we aren't squashing your weekend plans, but downtown Dallas simply isn't a happening weekend spot.

I'm sure you and Mrs. CRP will be able to enjoy your weekend, there are plenty of things to do - and when you consider the weekend isn't about anybody but you as a couple, even if you are in a nice restaurant by yourselves, it will be enjoyable.

Phobia
08-08-2001, 02:40 PM
Ok, I'm gonna save the day, CRP - here is the place you need to go to for your anniversary dinner - best steak in downtown Dallas.

It's 400 yards from your hotel and you MUST have reservations. The only way you'll find better steak is if you go to Del Friscos or Pappas Bros.

Morton's of Chicago
501 Elm St # B100
Dallas, TX 75202-6306
Phone: (214)741-2277

Del Frisco's Double Eagle
5251 Spring Valley Rd
Dallas, TX 75240-3007
Phone: (972)490-9000
Del Friscos is 11 miles away.

Pappas Brothers Steakhouse
10477 Lombardy Ln
Dallas, TX 75220-4349
Phone: (214)366-2000
8 miles away.

Phobia
08-08-2001, 02:43 PM
another link:

http://www.google.com/search?q=downtown+dallas+entertainment&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.accessamer.com/dallas/Entertainment.html

Packfan
08-08-2001, 03:37 PM
Pants,

There are lots of nice places to eat in the west end. Tomorrow morning, get up and go back to dealy plaza and check out some history. Take a tour of the 6th floor and the grassy knoll.

Also, if you want real nightlife, go to deep Elum. If you want to avoid the younger crowds, go to Addison or head over to Cool River. Some of the Cowboys and Stars hang out there. Plus, they have great food.

Bob Dole
08-08-2001, 03:47 PM
Bob Dole always makes a point of hitting Dick's Last Resort, but Bob Dole wouldn't consider that a real romantic or fine dining experience. From there, Bob Dole just wanders around looking for live music.

Archie F. Swin
08-08-2001, 04:28 PM
If time wasn't an issue we would probably consider the Hill country or "A - town" which I experienced for the first time ealier this year. When I first laid eyes on the hills looking SW from the streets of Austin I was absolutely stunned. Austin is a special place. I hope to return soon.

I would also love to go back to our Honeymoon spot, Southmoreland on the Plaza in Kansas City. I've worn out my Longbranch Steakhouse shirt and desperately need another. Seems like Ive worn that shirt at least once a week since we left KC 5 years go Friday.

But, all and all, Our primary goal is to send the kiddo to the in-laws, drive to the big city, drink heavily, and, If we've retained the capacity, engage in wild, married people sex. And I suppose the Hyatt is just as good a place than any. I would like to see Planet Hollywood, My wife has never been to Hard Rock Cafe. I would also like to see the JFK things.

You have to understand, we live in a dry town of 10,000 God fearing, salt of the earth types. We definately are ready for a little urban, artsy fartsy, high-rise, traffic jam, wait in line, neon light, "can you spare some change", smelly cab, valet parking, leather pants, city life where the people aren't all white and talk with a Texas twang.

Were ready for the city . . . and Big D is the closest

Fat Elvis
08-08-2001, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by bishop_74
Skip Dallas, you and the Mrs. ought to come down to San Marcos and sit in a tube and float down the river with beer in hand for 6 hours like I did a couple of weeks ago. Man, I haven't been that relaxed in a looong time. It is super romantic too. ;)

Seriously though, I don't know much about Dallas. Happy Anniversary anyway, hope you have fun.

I have to second what Bishop says. There's a place, I think its called Greune where you can go and they will drop you off and let you float all day.

wyno
08-08-2001, 10:36 PM
Not much to do in downtown dallas. Dick's is o.k., get there early. Just around the corner is Gators. It is a good piano bar, usually a good party atmosphere. Or, just jump on the Train and it will take you from downtown dallas to downtown fort worth. F.W. has a lot of different types of bars. 8.0 club is fun, if you like live bands that play all kinds of music. The only problem with it is that it is mostly located outside. Tends to be a little bit warm.
Also, if you like country music, Cowtown (several bars located along the same street) or Billy Bob's which is real touristy.

Phobia
08-08-2001, 11:44 PM
I'm kinda partial to the Pour House in FTW - and there is that bar with about 150 beers on tap - I LOVE that place. Texas de Brazil is my favorite downtown FTW restaurant.

Archie F. Swin
08-09-2001, 02:14 PM
up

KS Smitty
08-09-2001, 03:17 PM
You don't have the kids, you have a room at the Hyatt, sounds like you're set. ;) Room service dude! :)

KCTitus
08-09-2001, 03:24 PM
sit in a tube and float down the river with beer in hand for 6 hours like I did a couple of weeks ago.

6 hours? 1 beer? Could you get a separate tube for a CASE of beer?

bishop_74
08-09-2001, 03:35 PM
I don't know if you kidding or not, but yeah, we brought a cooler with 4 cases of beer. I also had a keg on hold if we felt the need, I just decided that would be too hard to keep cold. It's amazing what kinds of froth you belch after you have ingested a whole case of beer even though it has been over a long period of time. :D

One Arrowhead Dave
08-09-2001, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by KCTitus
sit in a tube and float down the river with beer in hand for 6 hours like I did a couple of weeks ago.

6 hours? 1 beer? Could you get a separate tube for a CASE of beer?

Did you float the Guadalupe river? We always had a separate tube for the cooler.

falstaff
08-09-2001, 10:48 PM
I live in Dallas. The West End is very touristy, so some people like it. Lots of restruants and bars in walking distance. If you are looking for a bar scene try Deep Ellum, near downtown.

Your best bet for restruants is to go to www.guidelive.com you should be able to find any type of restruant you like there.

Also, be sure to drive by and check out Texas Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys. You won't be seeing it on TV this year so you might want to see it to have a picture of what it looks like......

I know everyone on this site hates me...but, see, I'm not such a bad guy...hardly a troll....by the way...Chiefs Suck!

AustinChief
08-09-2001, 11:09 PM
Falstaff,

The only good post you've ever posted... nice work.

btw... you're right on Dallas... not much TV coverage this year (Thank God)

--Kyle

Bob Dole
08-10-2001, 09:00 AM
WTF is a "restruant?"

Clint in Wichita
08-10-2001, 09:15 AM
I lived in Dallas for 2 years.

If I were you, I'd stick with the West End and/or Addison and avoid Deep Ellum like the plague.

That is, unless you enjoy unbelievable traffic, impossible-to-find parking, one dive bar after the other, outrageous drink prices, and an infinite amount of people with the "See How Different I Am?" syndrome...green hair, facial piercings, etc.

If you are over 22-23 years old, stay away from that dump!