PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs interested in backup Bears WR?

NIUhuskies
03-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Davis could be next WR loss

March 7, 2008
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

One wide receiver has run a fly pattern out of Halas Hall, and the Bears might have to make a decision on another before long.

Restricted free agent Rashied Davis, a slot receiver, is generating substantial interest, and he's an attractive option for teams because they would not have to compensate the Bears for signing him.
RELATED STORIES
Booker has seen fruits of QB battle Inside the Bears: Updates from our blog

The Kansas City Chiefs might make a move for Davis. They have only four wideouts under contract, including former Chicago Rush star Bobby Sippio, and would be able to use Davis as a returner. The Chiefs ranked 30th in kickoff returns last season.

Davis, who turns 29 in July, received the low tender offer of $927,000 from the Bears, and because the former Arena League player was not an NFL draft pick, the Bears would not receive a pick if they chose not to match an offer sheet. The Bears lost Bernard Berrian to the Minnesota Vikings.

The Bears want to keep Davis, who had only 17 catches last season in a dysfunctional offense. He asserted himself on special teams and proved his value as a receiver in 2006, when he made a host of big plays, including a winning touchdown catch at Minnesota and a crucial 37-yard grab on third-and-10 to set up the winning field goal in overtime of the playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/830255,CST-SPT-bearnt07.article

Micjones
03-07-2008, 12:29 PM
*Sigh*

Davis is Jeff Webb with one more year in the league.
Why bother?

Valiant
03-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Seems like a logical and good pickup for the chiefs.. Someone who will use their speed in the slot position and hopefully be decent in returns..

Hoover
03-07-2008, 12:32 PM
He caught more balls than Eddie Kennison did last year!

hey, if he can return kicks bring his ass in!

Valiant
03-07-2008, 12:32 PM
*Sigh*

Why bother?

Because we only have four contract WRs and need someone else to push the others?? We also seem not to be going after big name FA and their money in the FAgency..

Damn those low cost, high reward situations..

NIUhuskies
03-07-2008, 12:33 PM
I live in Chicago, so I watch all the Bears games. He's a decent receiver, but hes a great special teamer, I wouldnt mind him on the Chiefs if he came cheap, which im sure he will

DaKCMan AP
03-07-2008, 12:35 PM
*Sigh*

Why bother?

We don't have a kick returner and if he's a guy who can fill that role while also filling an actual roster spot (Drummond wasn't a WR, not that he was an actual KR either) then hell yes!

raybec 4
03-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, if they sign him I guess the theory about not signing people for the shits-n-giggles of it goes out the window.

CupidStunt
03-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Pathetic.

RustShack
03-07-2008, 12:57 PM
We already have a REAL AFL star!

KCChiefsFan88
03-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm seriously looking forward to the 0-16 tour next season. There should be a 24/7 webcam on Herm and Dictator Carl during the 0-16 tour so we can watch them, week after week attempt to spin how the Chiefs offseason wasn't an epic failure and how the Chiefs are on "the right track as a franchise".

doomy3
03-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm seriously looking forward to the 0-16 tour next season. There should be a 24/7 webcam on Herm and Dictator Carl during the 0-16 tour so we can watch them, week after week attempt to spin how the Chiefs offseason wasn't an epic failure and how the Chiefs are on "the right track as a franchise".

Didn't you just start another thread saying that the Chiefs needed to be signing free agents to round out the roster? Then, there is a rumor that says we might be interested in a receiver who can return kicks, and you are mad about that too?

Mecca
03-07-2008, 01:01 PM
They better not pay him much, guys like him are basically a dime a dozen on the 2nd days of drafts.

DaKCMan AP
03-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Didn't you just start another thread saying that the Chiefs needed to be signing free agents to round out the roster? Then, there is a rumor that says we might be interested in a receiver who can return kicks, and you are mad about that too?

This particular idiot chieftain won't be happy until DV and Al Saunders are brought back in to put up meaningless offensive statistics along with a bottom of the barrel defense.

KCChiefsFan88
03-07-2008, 01:03 PM

I don't want free agents who are worse than what the Chiefs already have.

The Chiefs need an experienced WR and this guy isn't it.

DaKCMan AP
03-07-2008, 01:06 PM
They better not pay him much, guys like him are basically a dime a dozen on the 2nd days of drafts.

If we sign one we don't need to waste a draft pick on a 'dime a dozen' player.

mikey23545
03-07-2008, 01:20 PM

There's going to be kick returners with NFL experience around on the second day of the draft?!?!?!

Mecca
03-07-2008, 01:30 PM
You need experience to be a good returner?

That's about like saying a veteran back is better to have than a young back...

Chiefaholic
03-07-2008, 01:49 PM
We could have the best returner in the NFL. Yet, that doesn't mean crap if the coaching staff can't impliment a blocking scheme to allow the returner a crease to run through. When Hall was tearing it up, we has the coaching staff and personell necessary to plant the opponent on their ass while Dante ran almost effortlessly for a long gain time and time again.

Chief_in_Commander
03-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I am with the majority, if he is cheap and a good special teams player why not? Were not expecting much in signing him obviously so anything he does will be better than expectations.

Micjones
03-07-2008, 01:54 PM
I don't want free agents who are worse than what the Chiefs already have.

The Chiefs need an experienced WR and this guy isn't it.

Exactly.

This is the problem we've identified.
The Chiefs are going to chase down a bunch of never was bottom of the barrel Free Agents.

Frankie
03-07-2008, 02:04 PM
One word: SI-PPI-O

Zouk
03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
I think they should look at Chris Carr from Oakland as a possible returner. He was also low tendered and was an undrafted free agent, so would cost nothing in compensation.

RustShack
03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
We signed a Pro Bowl returnman with a lot of experince last year, that did us a lot of good didn't it?

Bump
03-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I think we should take a serious look at Seattle WR DJ Hackett, he seemed pretty solid in Seattle and shouldn't be too expensive. Of course, we need to give Bobby Sippio the chance we've all been waiting for! :)

Iowanian
03-07-2008, 03:00 PM
A 29 year old Special teamer doesn't exactly fit the profile, or excite me.

Mr. Laz
03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
as long as we don't have to give the bears anything ......... i don't care.

Thig Lyfe
03-07-2008, 03:20 PM
ALL YOU NEED IS SIPPIO

Short Leash Hootie
03-07-2008, 03:55 PM

I am overly optimistic...I know this...but how on Earth do people expect us to be worse next year than we were this year?

We already had one of the best defenses in the NFL last year, a defense that was tremendous until the team sort of quit after week 10 or so...and really, who are we going to lose from last years team that is going to make us any worse than we were last year?

Whoever we draft at #5, whether it be Gholston, Ellis, Dorsey or Jake Long, will be an immediate starter and possibly an impact player...if we draft Long and perhaps another tackle and maybe even a center, our offensive line will be greatly improved...our running game would be greatly improved, and that would mean our QB play would most definitely be improved, and I'm sure most consider Gailey to be an upgrade to the inept Mike Solari...so our offense would most definitely improve...and our young defense would be getting a year older, and yes, I know, no Ty Law but really, what was so special about him last year? Benny Sapp was our best CB last year IMO...Surtain was ok, Law was just plain washed up.

We are definitely a 6 win team next year, and I think we have a lot more potential than a lot of people think but yes, I am always the optimistic Chiefs fan so what do I know...

BigChiefFan
03-07-2008, 04:03 PM
This move sucks. So much for the youth movement-this is the Chiefs suck as a team movement.

SNR
03-07-2008, 06:18 PM
This place enrages me some days. Seriously, there are THAT many dumbasses in existence?

What about "showing interest" makes you think Carl is going to open up his tight pocket book and throw gobs of money at this guy and make him our star receiver? Or even makes you think that guarantee him a spot on this squad period? All we would be doing would be giving this guy the opportunity to compete with the shitty rookie FAs to find the last couple spots on the WR depth chart, and maybe become the starting kick returner.

That's it. That's ****ing it. This guy is an AFTERTHOUGHT.

Why are you morons even getting pissed off at the front office when we haven't even signed this asshole?

I'm negative about our chances too but I refuse to turn into a crybaby like some of the fans on this thread have turned into. "WAAAAHHH... I want Randy Moss and Jake Scott! Why isn't Carl trying to improve this team? WAAAAHHH!" It's called rebuilding. We ARE in a youth movement. Signing Rashied Davis doesn't mean shit to that movement, other than he's not the signing you're looking for so you can get your hopes up about next year. Quit your bitching.

doomy3
03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
This place makes enraged some days. Seriously, there are THAT many dumbasses in existence?

What about "showing interest" makes you think Carl is going to open up his tight pocket book and throw gobs of money at this guy and make him our star receiver? Or even makes you think that guarantee him a spot on this squad period? All we would be doing would be giving this guy the opportunity to compete with the shitty rookie FAs to find the last couple spots on the WR depth chart, and maybe become the starting kick returner.

That's it. That's ****ing it. This guy is an AFTERTHOUGHT.

Why are you morons even getting pissed off at the front office when we haven't even signed this asshole?

I'm negative about our chances too but I refuse to turn into a crybaby like some of the fans on this thread have turned into. "WAAAAHHH... I want Randy Moss and Jake Scott! Why isn't Carl trying to improve this team? WAAAAHHH!" It's called rebuilding. We ARE in a youth movement. Signing Rashied Davis doesn't mean shit to that movement, other than he's not the signing you're looking for so you can get your hopes up about next year. Quit your bitching.

QFT. This board is unreadable most of the time.

tmax63
03-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Fire for effect SNR. Insanity is doing the same thing time after time and expecting a different result. The Chiefs are doing things differently this year in FA and maybe we'll get a different result than the years past when they overpaid for players that have underperformed. I'm glad we haven't gotten a 55 mil WR or a 30 mil OL this offseason.

ChiefsCountry
03-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Chiefs sign players like Rashied Davis each offseason. Nothing really to get worked about, its not like its going to break the bank or effect our youth movement.

the Talking Can
03-07-2008, 08:10 PM
I'd like this signing if we give him 15 mill guaranteed.

We'd be second in the FA Playoffs.

talastan
03-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I am overly optimistic...I know this...but how on Earth do people expect us to be worse next year than we were this year?

We already had one of the best defenses in the NFL last year, a defense that was tremendous until the team sort of quit after week 10 or so...and really, who are we going to lose from last years team that is going to make us any worse than we were last year?

Whoever we draft at #5, whether it be Gholston, Ellis, Dorsey or Jake Long, will be an immediate starter and possibly an impact player...if we draft Long and perhaps another tackle and maybe even a center, our offensive line will be greatly improved...our running game would be greatly improved, and that would mean our QB play would most definitely be improved, and I'm sure most consider Gailey to be an upgrade to the inept Mike Solari...so our offense would most definitely improve...and our young defense would be getting a year older, and yes, I know, no Ty Law but really, what was so special about him last year? Benny Sapp was our best CB last year IMO...Surtain was ok, Law was just plain washed up.

We are definitely a 6 win team next year, and I think we have a lot more potential than a lot of people think but yes, I am always the optimistic Chiefs fan so what do I know...

:eek::eek: Holy Sh!t!! I actually agree with Hootie. I think the doomsayers are always on the prowl to call in the season. I'm looking for improvement this year. Or at least a team that will work with a lot more youth, heart, and energy. The last time the Chiefs picked in the top five remember who we got? Arguably one of the greatest LB in the history of the game. I think if we follow our draft value board we'll pick up another great one. Better to be optimistic than leaning over the cliff....:)

TEX
03-07-2008, 09:10 PM
This particular idiot chieftain won't be happy until DV and Al Saunders are brought back in to put up meaningless offensive statistics along with a bottom of the barrel defense.

Well, it's better than we have now...The offense is so inept it puts up meaningless stats every game, and the defense is still broken...

StcChief
03-07-2008, 09:17 PM
There's going to be kick returners with NFL experience around on the second day of the draft?!?!?!yeah
and experienced guys like Drummond end up on Chiefs

alanm
03-07-2008, 09:22 PM
We could have the best returner in the NFL. Yet, that doesn't mean crap if the coaching staff can't impliment a blocking scheme to allow the returner a crease to run through. When Hall was tearing it up, we has the coaching staff and personell necessary to plant the opponent on their ass while Dante ran almost effortlessly for a long gain time and time again.
That was then. This is now.