PDA

View Full Version : Official Slurp off of Hansboro vs Duke thread.

kstater
03-08-2008, 07:18 PM
According to ESPN, this guy is God himself.

irishjayhawk
03-08-2008, 07:29 PM
According to ESPN, this guy is God himself.

I still think that anybody who says Tyler is the National Player of the Year hasn't watched college basketball. Everyone says Tyler has given his team the best chance to win. That's complete horseshit. It just is. Beasley has carried his team day in and day out. If Beasley was on UCLA, Kansas or Duke, everyone would be all over him as player of the year. Instead, Tyler is because he's given his team more chances to win. But doesn't that also mean that he has a surrounding cast to help?

BWillie
03-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I still think that anybody who says Tyler is the National Player of the Year hasn't watched college basketball. Everyone says Tyler has given his team the best chance to win. That's complete horseshit. It just is. Beasley has carried his team day in and day out. If Beasley was on UCLA, Kansas or Duke, everyone would be all over him as player of the year. Instead, Tyler is because he's given his team more chances to win. But doesn't that also mean that he has a surrounding cast to help?

I disagree with you. If Beasley was on UNC he'd probably average the same numbers Tyler has. Plus UNC is good, and K-State isn't. Hansbrough should win by default based on this, and due to the fact that Lawson was out and Hansbrough stepped up his game. There is no question in my mind Beasley isn't a better player and will go #1 in the draft, but Tyler should get it...plus beasley is a freshman.

irishjayhawk
03-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I disagree with you. If Beasley was on UNC he'd probably average the same numbers Tyler has. Plus UNC is good, and K-State isn't. Hansbrough should win by default based on this, and due to the fact that Lawson was out and Hansbrough stepped up his game. There is no question in my mind Beasley isn't a better player and will go #1 in the draft, but Tyler should get it...plus beasley is a freshman.

POY should never depend on age. And it also shouldn't depend on the team's record. Or media exposure. Or number of suckjobs.

It should be measured by TALENT. And I'm sorry but Beasley is king this year. We don't name the award "Most Valuable Player for your Team". But that's what it's become and it's sad.

In fact, everyone is caught here. They all know Beasley is the most talented but everyone is convinced based on ESPN's continual blowjob on Tyler.

Demonpenz
03-08-2008, 08:57 PM
He has came up big tonight. Nearly had a double double the first half

Ultra Peanut
03-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Wide open three
followed by
Wide open three
followed by
Wide open three
followed by
Wide open three
followed by
Wide open three
followed by
Wide open three
followed by
Wide open three
followed by

If someone could just launch Cameron Indoor to the moon right now, I would be so happy.

EyePod
03-08-2008, 09:43 PM

Tyler Hansborough dominates. Beasley dominates. I think both have to be in the talks for National Player of the year. He's the best player on (right now) the number 1 team in the country.... They've lost 2 games! KSU has lost 10! I think you have to take that into account.

(And I really used to hate Hansborough, esp during the Redick days. Now, I think you have to respect him.)

KCFalcon59
03-08-2008, 09:50 PM
KState has one great player. UNC has what 6 or 7. Beasley does it on his own. Tyler Hansborough has lots of help.

CoMoChief
03-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Tyler should get it...plus beasley is a freshman.

Tell that to Kevin Durant.

Ari Chi3fs
03-08-2008, 10:01 PM
UNC victory helps KU perhaps get a #1.

irishjayhawk
03-08-2008, 10:03 PM
KState has one great player. UNC has what 6 or 7. Beasley does it on his own. Tyler Hansborough has lots of help.

My point exactly.

And, man, Dickie V can really suck a dick.

HolmeZz
03-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Hansbrough looks like Harry Potter.

KevB
03-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm biased, but I just don't see how you can't give it to Beasley. He's taken a team that wouldn't have sniffed the NCAA tourney to that very tourney for the first time in 12 years. I'd say that counts for something, just as much as Hansbrough playing for a top team. With that out of the way, Beasley has been the best player in America, and nobody seems to dispute that. Somehow, it's used as a qualifier right before some "expert" gives POY to Hansbrough. Just doesn't make sense....

irishjayhawk
03-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm biased, but I just don't see how you can't give it to Beasley. He's taken a team that wouldn't have sniffed the NCAA tourney to that very tourney for the first time in 12 years. I'd say that counts for something, just as much as Hansbrough playing for a top team. With that out of the way, Beasley has been the best player in America, and nobody seems to dispute that. Somehow, it's used as a qualifier right before some "expert" gives POY to Hansbrough. Just doesn't make sense....

And that's what I can't figure out. It is used, constantly, as a qualifier. I don't get it.

BWillie
03-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Why don't they just give it to that guy from Virginia Military who averages like 30 a game then.

Honestly, just because you have the best stats doesn't mean you get the award. It also doesn't matter who goes #1 in the draft. If that was the case, how come we just don't wait until the NBA Draft is over and when David Stern gives them the hat they can give them the college basketball POY award too.

HANSBROUGH 23.3 and 10.5........FG% .552 in 32 minutes
BEASLEY 26.9 and 12.5...........FG% .540 in 31 minutes

looks pretty similar to me...except one team has 2 freaking losses and the other one has 10 freaking losses.

irishjayhawk
03-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Why don't they just give it to that guy from Virginia Military who averages like 30 a game then.

Honestly, just because you have the best stats doesn't mean you get the award. It also doesn't matter who goes #1 in the draft. If that was the case, how come we just don't wait until the NBA Draft is over and when David Stern gives them the hat they can give them the college basketball POY award too.

looks pretty similar to me...except one team has 2 freaking losses and the other one has 10 freaking losses.

And one has ZERO supporting cast and one has 5-6 supporting cast members.

milkman
03-08-2008, 11:08 PM

I don't give a rat's ass about any of this stuff, but it amazes the hell out of me that you can't seem to separate "player" from "team".

Tyler Hansbrough plays on a team with a number of other talented players.
Michael Beasley plays on a team with a bunch of scrubs.

If the places were reversed, Hanbrough wouldn't be able to match the kind of numbers he's putting up now.

foxman
03-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Hansboro could have been a lottery pick 2 years ago and has re-upped his lease on his house in Chapel Hill for next year. I can understand the bias for Beasley on this board and the general dislike of Hansboro/Carolina/Williams but I think we can all appreciate a great player staying in school and doing it the right way.

ESPN tends to overhype with everything and Dick Vytale is no exception....but he is pretty equal about who he is sucking up too if they are a baller.

I don't have an issue either way but the fact is typicaly the POY goes to a kid who's team is the better team if there are two people this close and thats usually the case in most sports.