PDA

View Full Version : Any travel agents on the board?

The Bad Guy
03-09-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm looking to book a Sandals vacation for my honeymoon and wanted to know if it was cheaper to go through a travel agent, or to book it myself online.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anyone have any opinions about what Sandals resorts to hit up?

blueballs
03-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Just consider yourself lucking
to eat your Groom brownies

ClevelandBronco
03-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Are you going to get a better price from the farmer or from the grocery store?

Don't take the farmer's first price, either. Negotiate.

Rausch
03-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm looking to book a Sandals vacation for my honeymoon and wanted to know if it was cheaper to go through a travel agent, or to book it myself online.

My mother is b/f with a travel agent who pretty much whores Sandals.

Mom keeps sending me there for some kind of cheap deal when I travel but i've always found something better myself (same place, cheaper online.)

Don't bother. Seems like the net has pretty much cut out the middle man...

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Is it 1987? Who the f*ck uses a travel agent now?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-10-2008, 01:11 AM

We stayed at Ocho Rios (Jamaica) for our honeymoon. Booked for a week appx. 4 months in advance. Booked it myself. It was a little over 3K, IIRC. (2006).

The Bad Guy
03-10-2008, 05:05 AM
We stayed at Ocho Rios (Jamaica) for our honeymoon. Booked for a week appx. 4 months in advance. Booked it myself. It was a little over 3K, IIRC. (2006).

I'm looking at the resort in Ochos Rios too.

Did you like it?

jspchief
03-10-2008, 08:03 AM
We went to the Sandals in Negril, Jamaica and I would highly receommend it.

One thing that was great was they offered scuba diving. We spent one morning in a pool learning how to do it, then a few days later went out on a boat and got to scuba dive at a reef. It was awesome. And it was included in the "all-inclusive".

Another thing, the resort butts up to a Hedonism resort, so if you want to do some nude sunbathing, or see naked people, it's just through a gate. Of course, the thing about nude beaches is they never contain people you want to see naked, and my wife could do nothing but point and laugh at the old men's peckers.

As for best price, we used an agent, but that was 7 years ago.

Iowanian
03-10-2008, 08:17 AM
the thing about nude beaches is they never contain people you want to see naked, and my wife could do nothing but point and laugh at the old men's peckers.

Don 't let her get you down. I'm sure you have many other qualities she appreciates.

DaKCMan AP
03-10-2008, 08:41 AM

They actually offer some better deals on cruises. For everything else I book it myself.

Mr. Plow
03-10-2008, 09:18 AM

I don't know. I checked with a travel agent for a trip to Hawaii. The prices she could get me for the same hotel/airfare/car saved me about $700 verse booking myself online.

Stinger
03-10-2008, 12:49 PM
IMO if strickly want price there is no difference between doing it yourself and a travel agent except for the travel agent fee. Now if you are looking for perks ie upgrades, special items or piece of mind if something goes wrong and want to have someone there to help you then go with a travel agent.

Bowser
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
We've been to two - Sandals Montego Bay and Beaches Negril. Montego Bay is nice, but it is like literally 100 yards from the airport, so you have to deal with the roar of planes coming and going. We took our daughter to Beaches, and it was super nice. I've heard good things about Ocho Rios, as well.

The thing about Sandals is that they bill it as a romantic getaway for couples, but the two times we've been down there, it was more like groups of people partying their asses off. It was cool, though; nobody was acting like an asshole.

If you go to Negril, you have to go to Rick's Cafe and cliff jump. :)

Rain Man
03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I've got some tickets to Madagascar that I'll sell cheap.

jspchief
03-10-2008, 01:08 PM
The thing about Sandals is that they bill it as a romantic getaway for couples, but the two times we've been down there, it was more like groups of people partying their asses off. It was cool, though; nobody was acting like an asshole.

I always thought "Couples" was the Sandals brand resort that was supposed to be more about romance. "Sandals" was just an adults only resort, and "Beaches" was the family resort.

And I agree about going to Rick's Sunset Cafe. Maybe the only thing outside of the resort that was worth it for me. We sat at a table on a cliff overlooking the ocean, watching the sunset while dolphins jumped in the water. It was like a freaking postcard.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm looking at the resort in Ochos Rios too.

Did you like it?

Yes, it was a nice place. The only part that was a bit of a drag is that the resort is split, and to get to the beach you have to take a bus across the street . They come in regular intervals, but it can be a PITA.

The food was very good. I played golf while I was down there. On the second hole, while I was waiting to hit, the caddie picked fresh mangoes for both of us and we munched on them in the meantime.

Thig Lyfe
03-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Okay, listen. I like you. I really like you. So much, in fact, that I would like you to accompany me on a trip to Sandals Jamaica.

http://www.angellwedding.com/i/michael-scott.jpg

The Bad Guy
03-10-2008, 11:05 PM
We've been to two - Sandals Montego Bay and Beaches Negril. Montego Bay is nice, but it is like literally 100 yards from the airport, so you have to deal with the roar of planes coming and going. We took our daughter to Beaches, and it was super nice. I've heard good things about Ocho Rios, as well.

I'm really torn between the Whitehouse and Montego Bay. I think the airport being that close is a huge plus considering the ride to the Whitehouse is 90 minutes from the airport. That's a crazy long time to be stuck in a shuttle.

I kept reading that Montego Bay's resort was dated. Is this true?

stlchiefs
03-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I want to add that any and all info posted here is greatly appreciated. I currently have a trip to Sandals St. Lucia booked for August, but plan on switching to one of the Jamaica locations. Now I just need to decide which one. Thanks to all for the info being posted.

MIAdragon
03-11-2008, 04:59 AM
The wife and I just got back from Sandals Royal Caribbean and LOVED it. I really wanted something out of the way, low key and quiet. I wanted to do nothing but lounge on the beach and eat and got it at the RC. I cant say enough about the staff at RC, we took a day trip to Sandals Montego Bay and were not impressed. We cant wait to go back.

jspchief
03-11-2008, 07:11 AM
I'm really torn between the Whitehouse and Montego Bay. I think the airport being that close is a huge plus considering the ride to the Whitehouse is 90 minutes from the airport. That's a crazy long time to be stuck in a shuttle.

I kept reading that Montego Bay's resort was dated. Is this true?I would avoid Montego Bay. That entire area just seems run down. Granted, all of Jamaica outside the resorts is a dump, but Montego Bay just feels like a resort stuck in a city.

The trip to Negril from the airport was probably 90 minutes, on a terrible shitty, scary road that's been under construction for years. And it was still well worth it to me.

MIAdragon
03-11-2008, 09:35 AM
, on a terrible shitty, scary road that's been under construction for years. And it was still well worth it to me.

You just described every road in <?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:country-region u2:st="on"><U1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pJamaica</U1:place</u1:country-region></ST1:p</st1:country-region>!! X2 on avoiding <U1:p<u1:PlaceName u2:st="on"><ST1:p<st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Monetgo</u1:PlaceName></st1:PlaceName> <u1:PlaceType u2:st="on"><st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Bay</u1:PlaceType></U1:p</st1:PlaceType></ST1:p. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Delano
03-11-2008, 09:36 AM
You just described every road in <u1:country-region u2:st="on"><u1>:p<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1>:pJamaica</st1>:place</st1:country-region></u1>:p</u1:country-region>!! X2 on avoiding <u1>:p<u1>:placename u2:st="on"><st1>:p<st1>:placename w:st="on">Monetgo</st1>:placename></st1> <u1>:placetype u2:st="on"><st1>:placetype w:st="on">Bay</st1>:placetype></u1>:placetype>:p</u1>:placename></u1>

WTF? Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.

The Bad Guy
03-11-2008, 09:49 AM
I keep changing my mind about resorts. We found a nice beachfront on the Royal Carribean resort. I'm really happy I won't have a 90 minute ride if we go that route.

MIAdragon
03-11-2008, 10:08 AM
I keep changing my mind about resorts. We found a nice beachfront on the Royal Carribean resort. I'm really happy I won't have a 90 minute ride if we go that route.

Do it.

MIAdragon
03-11-2008, 10:09 AM
WTF? Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.

it looks fine to me?

stlchiefs
03-11-2008, 10:12 AM
The wife and I just got back from Sandals Royal Caribbean and LOVED it. I really wanted something out of the way, low key and quiet. I wanted to do nothing but lounge on the beach and eat and got it at the RC. I cant say enough about the staff at RC, we took a day trip to Sandals Montego Bay and were not impressed. We cant wait to go back.

I want to make sure I understand that I'm reading your post and the Sandal's page correctly. Is Sandals Royal Caribbean located in Montego Bay, but it is different than Sandals Montego Bay? Thanks for the info. :clap:

MIAdragon
03-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I want to make sure I understand that I'm reading your post and the Sandal's page correctly. Is Sandals Royal Caribbean located in Montego Bay, but it is different than Sandals Montego Bay? Thanks for the info. :clap:

yes, its 5-10 mins from Sandals Montego Bay but is still "on" the bay.

MIAdragon
03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
I know somone who works for Sandals here in Miami, he is the guy we go through. If any of you want to talk to him pm me and Ill give you his number.

stlchiefs
03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
yes, its 5-10 mins from Sandals Montego Bay but is still "on" the bay.

Do you still have the airplane problem others have mentioned regarding Montego Bay?

What room did you stay in and what would you compare the room to in terms of US hotels? Trying to decide on an all-inclusive resort makes me a bit nervous. I don't want to shell out the money for a week, get down there and find I'm staying in some 3rd world chit hole. Thanks for the info.

Bowser
03-11-2008, 10:37 AM

I kept reading that Montego Bay's resort was dated. Is this true?

Yeah, Montego Bay is a bit dated, especially compared to the other resorts. The good thing about that, though, is you can take a shuttle the other resorts, and hang out there for the day. We picked a resort a day to go to, just to try out the different restaurants. I think the only one you can't get to for free from Montego Bay is Ocho Rios, and you have to pay to take a puddle jumper there.

And yes, 90 minutes in a shuttle is an eternity. Jamaican drivers are ****ing well insane.

crazycoffey
03-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Stay away from Sandels - Antigua, everyone I know that went there is divorced now....

stlchiefs
03-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Stay away from Sandels - Antigua, everyone I know that went there is divorced now....

noted. thanks for the heads up