PDA

View Full Version : LAID OFF...

wutamess
03-09-2008, 11:40 PM
As some of you know I used to work for Sprint. I finally bit the bullet Friday March 7th and got the axe. I'm/we're (the family) fine with it (the layoff) as I'll get a helluva severance and it'll actually turn out to be an excellent opportunity if I play my cards right.

With the way the company is/was going, the writings sorta been on the wall. I'm glad to have worked there and have no regrets as I had the best job EVA. Hopefully I can get lucky again. It was the best because I was able to work from home under little supervision and it was very challenging at the same time.

Anyways, I've been laid off before (without severance) and this time around I was hella prepared by Mr. Dave Ramsey.

I know some of you feel he's a cultist or whatever but we're going to be just fine because of that man.

Anyhow... just wanted to give you guys an update (as if you really gave a shit).

Rausch
03-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Anyways, I've been laid off before (without severance) and this time around I was hella prepared by Mr. Dave Ramsey.

I know some of you feel he's a cultist or whatever but we're going to be just fine because of that man.

For those that don't listen he pretty much preaches self-reliance.

Pay for what you buy at the time or don't buy it. Don't OWE people.

Common sense we all forget. Very smart man and he's conservative on his investment recomendations. I really like the guy.

****ing shame he wasn't around 10 years ago...:banghead:

Iowanian
03-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Good Luck.

One door closed, kick the next one down.

Chief Wiggum
03-09-2008, 11:52 PM
My sympathies. I work in the mortgage devision for Capital One and we have been shutting down the bulk of our mortgage ops over the last 6 months, so I know what you are going through.

Never an easy time but I wish you the best of luck. Too bad we can't at least look forward to the Chiefs having a decent season...

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Here's to hoping you find another job as good or better than the last.

wutamess
03-10-2008, 12:12 AM

Yeah! I really think I'm going to come out of this smelling like a rose. Hopefully with a 25% or so increase in salary somewhere else.

We'll see.
I'll keep my blog updated as well as this thread also.

blueballs
03-10-2008, 12:14 AM
severing your package seems about extreme
but if your okay with it

Mr. Flopnuts
03-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Good luck dude, I hope everything works out for you and yours.

mikey23545
03-10-2008, 02:17 AM
Went through the same thing several years ago, wutamess...It took a few years, but in the end it was a positive thing and jolted me out of a rut I probably would have stayed in forever otherwise.

Good luck!

Braincase
03-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Best of luck to you, sounds like you have a plan. I've listened to DR a little, and I know my bosses at work pay attention to what the man says. Last year they sponsored a class through work, and if they offer it again, I'm going to take it.

BigRedChief
03-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Yeah! I really think I'm going to come out of this smelling like a rose. Hopefully with a 25% or so increase in salary somewhere else.

We'll see.
I'll keep my blog updated as well as this thread also.
In the 3 years since I left Sprint I've tripled my salary(at least temprarily). But I've not made less than $25K more than Sprint since I left.

Buehler445
03-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Sucks man. I'm glad you're prepared.

StcChief
03-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Good luck. might try the consulting route. No jobs are perm in a technology driven world

R&GHomer
03-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Good luck man, sounds like you have a plan. I seem to have been spared the axe once again... Only a matter of time with this place though. Take it easy and enjoy a little time off.

Stewie
03-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Sorry to hear it wut. I'm wondering how many more Sprint people are going to end up in the same boat? That company sure seems to have major problems. Remember to treat looking for a job like you're working at a job. Good luck from another DR follower.

Lzen
03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Good luck finding a new job, roger. It sounds like you have a positive outlook and a plan. I'm sure you will be just fine.

Cochise
03-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't really watch the company anymore, but the way things look for them this might be a blessing in disguise. Glad you and your family will be fine.

Dave Lane
03-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Way to be prepared Roger. The next opportunity will be even greater!

Dave

gblowfish
03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Sprint sucks. If they had better customer service and better phones you'd probably still have a job. Good for you to get as far away from them as possible. I can see them going totally tits up in five years.

patteeu
03-10-2008, 09:38 AM

Ditto.

xbarretx
03-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Anyhow... just wanted to give you guys an update (as if you really gave a shit).

hey now, im still with Sprint. been here 7 years, so of course i care man. im sorry to hear you were effected by this rd of layoffs. However, itís good to know that at least (from your post) your family is able to survive this. May i ask what dept you were in? the only good news is by now i think were all desensitized to the layoffs. Since i just got my BBA and start my MBA in two weeks ive been actively searching both internally and externally for jobs.

ill give you some Sprint/golden parachute rep

phisherman
03-10-2008, 09:57 AM
i guess this may not bode well for me, considering i trained you roger

wutamess
03-10-2008, 10:17 AM
hey now, im still with Sprint. been here 7 years, so of course i care man. im sorry to hear you were effected by this rd of layoffs. However, it’s good to know that at least (from your post) your family is able to survive this. May i ask what dept you were in? the only good news is by now i think were all desensitized to the layoffs. Since i just got my BBA and start my MBA in two weeks ive been actively searching both internally and externally for jobs.

ill give you some Sprint/golden parachute rep

Debt we WERE in...
primarily $ 700/month car payments.
$50/month SL.

on top of my other bills... it quickly added up. paid off both cars last year.
($20K lump sum). Paid off SL too. Now all we have is my other SL & my wifes... totalling ($35K).

If all goes as I want it to. I should be able to write a check for it later this year or early next.

Time will tell... If you want my full financial background, etc... check out my blog on http://kcpcrepair.com. More in depth information.

phisherman
03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
roger, i think he meant dept, as in department

wutamess
03-10-2008, 10:20 AM
It was brought to my attention that you were asking about dept. instead of debt.
I was in IT.

xbarretx
03-10-2008, 10:21 AM
It was brought to my attention that you were asking about dept. instead of debt.
I was in IT.

hehe

thanks Phish and Wut :)

i was in IT (intl billing) but have since moved to Logistics (which is actually prod dev/mktg)

rep to you Phish for helping me on that ;)

if i can only find a dept in Sprint that actually cares about getting degrees ill be set :huh:

wutamess
03-10-2008, 10:25 AM
if i can only find a dept in Sprint that actually cares about getting degrees ill be set :huh:

Good luck with that.

xbarretx
03-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Good luck with that.

indeed, thats one of the main reasons im searching outside as well. i like working here but i move when opportinuty dries up.

Coach
03-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Sorry to hear that Rog.

ChiTown
03-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Good luck, wutamess. Sounds like you have your chit wired, which is the biggest hurdle during any career change.

gblowfish
03-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Don't get into drug dealing, the Priesthood, genetic research or working for a large oil or petrochemical company. All deadly choices.

bogey
03-10-2008, 01:03 PM
I went through a layoff 6 months ago. It sucked for me psychologically. I too had a great severance but it still sucked. I had been employed by the company for 12 years and I took the layoff personally. I later realized it it wasn't personal, just business. I have now landed at a new job for more pay. 9 times out of 10, change is good. Have fun on your nest endeavor. Odds are, it will be good.

a1na2
03-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Post your resume on Monster.com.

I was fortunate and found a position without it but there have been some decent jobs listed in my arena.

It might not be the answer but it also cannot hurt.

Use your severance wisely as well as unemployment when you get it. Most storms can be weathered if you remain calm when all hell is breaking loose.

Valiant
03-10-2008, 01:42 PM
As some of you know I used to work for Sprint. I finally bit the bullet Friday March 7th and got the axe. I'm/we're (the family) fine with it (the layoff) as I'll get a helluva severance and it'll actually turn out to be an excellent opportunity if I play my cards right.

With the way the company is/was going, the writings sorta been on the wall. I'm glad to have worked there and have no regrets as I had the best job EVA. Hopefully I can get lucky again. It was the best because I was able to work from home under little supervision and it was very challenging at the same time.

That sucks Roger, I have 3 close friends who work there and they have been wondering also what is going to happen to them.. Best wishes in your job hunt..

HC_Chief
03-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Welcome to the club (of ex-Sprinters). You'll find a much better job than you had in that sh*thole in less time than you think. ;)

Calcountry
03-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Best wishes to you and your family.

HemiEd
03-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Well it sounds like you are well prepared, but it still has to suck. I hope you do really well and come out smelling like a rose. Good luck to you!

TEX
03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Good Luck and as others have said, sounds like you have a plan - but honestly - the way people follow Dave Ramsey is sometimes scary.

Stewie
03-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Good Luck and as others have said, sounds like you have a plan - but honestly - the way people follow Dave Ramsey is sometimes scary.

Yeah, paying your bills and getting out of debt is pretty scary.

Halfcan
03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
My company is looking for a Lead Carpenter and Lead Painter.

Halfcan
03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Phob is hiring as well.

Halfcan
03-10-2008, 05:18 PM
ROFLDon't get into drug dealing, the Priesthood, genetic research or working for a large oil or petrochemical company. All deadly choices.

ROFL man you crack me up sometimes.

Gracie Dean
03-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I like his get out of debt plan. We are working on it

CHENZ A!
03-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Good luck man! Sounds like you have a good gameplan. I am a leasing consultant for an apartment complex in that area, and alot of our residents work for Sprint. Seems like they are only hiring for short term contracts, alot of people in and out.

KC Kings
03-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Hey, since you work at home at least you didn't have to clean out your desk.

Seriously though, sorry to hear it happened to you, but you won't have any problems finding another job. For my last job search I found a list of "best companies to work for" in Kansas City, and hit the job postings on their site. Monster and Career Builder are the lazy mans resource, and you can find good jobs on there but there are a lot of places that only resort to the mega-searches if they can't fill the position on their own. Just be sure to look at why they are listed. Cerner was listed for their "employee developement" opportunities, and it was made clear in their offer letter for a salaried position that required 55 hours a week at 40 hours a week pay, that the extra developement was due to the extra working hours.