PDA

View Full Version : Will Shaq start paying off?

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 12:47 AM
The Suns/Spurs thriller today was amazing. Shaq got on a roll for the first time with the Suns. And he didn't do it with superhuman abilities, he did it by completely conventional means that he can continue to do against the "bigger" teams that the Suns will need him for.

The Suns signed Shaq to compete with the Spurs (although, I believe that by losing Barber, the Suns have forfeit their ability to compete with the Lakers...). They needed strength inside, they needed a rebounder and a big body to move Stoudamire to the 4 instead of the 5, and they needed that extra umph of badass toughness.

Shaq still looks a bit rusty. He drew four 3-second violations in the first half (although the refs were really happy with that call for a while -- they called 3 seconds during a loose bal situation once). He still drew 6 fouls (although he was only whistled for 5). And he still looks winded late in the game.

But he rebounded like a mother. Nobody could block him out. He got incredibly low in the post and made Thomas his bitch time and time again. Stoudamire's been a beast ever since Shaq's arrived.

And the best factors about it is that Shaq looks like he's taken the "they got me to beat the Spurs" bit seriously. I only watched the first half of the game, but by my count, Duncan only scored 5 points on him the entire first half. Shaq also drew fouls all over the place, taking charges and getting offensive rebounds...

...And probably the most underrated aspect of Shaq's presense is how tough he is. Duncan knocks him down and offers his hand to help Shaq back up, but Shaq demands his teammates pick him back up.

If they can keep tonight's performance up, they can go very far. But without Barber I think they're going to need someone else to beat the Lakers for them.

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 12:57 AM
I'll take a guess: What is NBA basketball, Alex?

I'm happy to say that the last time I saw Shaq play he was wearing his LSU uniform.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Holy shit you've missed out.

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Holy shit you've missed out.

I doubt it. I live in Denver and I haven't seen Carmelo, except during his freshman year at Syracuse. I am a Cleveland native and I've never seen What's-his-name.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-10-2008, 01:03 AM
No. Nash is already declining rapidly and they traded away their best perimeter defender.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:04 AM
NBA basketball just ain't your thing, is it?

Welcome to my thread, by the way. It's... about the NBA. Your thoughts.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:05 AM
No. Nash is already declining rapidly and they traded away their best perimeter defender.
That's pretty much why I think they've lost their ability to beat the Lakers.

There's only like a handful players in the league that can keep up with Kobe, and Raja Bell ain't one of them.

Bowen
Artest
Barber
Prince

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 01:06 AM
NBA basketball just ain't your thing, is it?

Welcome to my thread, by the way. It's... about the NBA. Your thoughts.

Who's that guy in Cleveland that didn't play college ball?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-10-2008, 01:08 AM
That's pretty much why I think they've lost their ability to beat the Lakers.

There's only like a handful players in the league that can keep up with Kobe, and Raja Bell ain't one of them.

Bowen
Artest
Barber
Prince

Neither is Bowen. Not anymore.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:08 AM
I'll have you know there's three guys in the running for MVP this year, and none of them played college ball.

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 01:13 AM
I'll have you know there's three guys in the running for MVP this year, and none of them played college ball.

Okay. You'll have me know that.

I have no idea who they are and I'll never watch them play.

By the way, work on your grammar.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:15 AM
By the way, work on your grammar.
What methods for grammar improvement would you recommend?

Night classes?

"Grammar For Dummies" at my local Barnes & Noble?

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 01:17 AM
What methods for grammar improvement would you recommend?

Night classes?

"Grammar For Dummies" at my local Barnes & Noble?

You are very likely capable of studying on your own.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:20 AM
You are very likely capable of studying on your own.
I'm enthused by your confidence in me.

Perhaps I should just go here (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/search.php?searchid=201260) and watch the master at work.

Hell, where did you acquire your grammar and sentence structure? Before long people will be confusing us for each other.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:26 AM
GODDAMN IT CLEVELAND BRONCO DON'T YOU PUSS OUT ON ME.

I NEED LINGUISTIC EXPERTISE AND I'LL BE DAMNED IF YOU DENY IT TO ME.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:31 AM
k...

As far as I can tell (http://www.grammar.com/samples/images/glossary.jpg), a reflexive pronoun is a pronoun that is preceded by the noun or pronoun to which it refers within the same clause. Hmm.

In generative grammar, a reflexive pronoun must be bound by its antecedent, whatever that means. Apparently there's a difference between reflexive and non-reflexive pronouns, but it isn't well defined.

In the statements "I see him" and "She sees you", the objects are not the same persons as the subjects, and regular pronouns are used. However, and this is key for any grammatical assholes like myself who ClevelandBronco needs to see improvement from: when the person being seen is the same as the person who is seeing, the reflexive pronoun is used: "I see myself" or "She sees herself".

Amazing. Reflexive pronouns: check.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Now here's an interesting conundrum -- do I always use "were" after "if"!? (http://www.grammar.com/samples/images/guide.jpg) Finite verbs, here we come.

The answer is that you can say "was" directly after "if" if you are not discussing a hypothetical or something contrary to fact.

The sun would be grey if it weren't already bright yellow.

I've been trying to decide if the stench was from my armpits.

Finite verbs: check.

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 01:37 AM
You'll be damned? I'd hate to have that happen.

How may I help?

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:39 AM
About the word "get" (http://www.grammar.com/samples/images/problems.jpg)... "I've got" not the dead-wrong phrasing many believe it to be.

Got is "get"'s past tense -- it literally means to obtain. "Gotten" is also used. Thus, one can form the present-perfect tense of "get" and write "I have got" or the contradictin, "I've got."

I have got "got." Check.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:40 AM
You'll be damned? I'd hate to have that happen.

How may I help?
I've had a lot of trouble locating useful resources to futher my understanding proper usage of the pluperfect subjunctive.

Any help would be appreciated.

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 01:41 AM

There is three guys.

I know what you mean.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:44 AM
A dangling modifier is when a modifier attaches itself to a different noun then intended.

"I saw my dog, rising from the bed."

See, that implies that my dog was rising from the bed, when instead I meant that I myself was rising from the bed. That's the very definition of a dangling modifier.

Dangling modifier: check.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:46 AM
There is three guys.

I know what you mean.
No no no. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

It's out. I'm grammatically challenged. It's time to right this ship.

Edit: Still in need of pluperfect subjunctive help, by the way. Thanks in advance.

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 01:48 AM
A dangling modifier is when a modifier attaches itself to a different noun then (you mean to use the word "than") intended.

"I saw my dog, rising from the bed."

See, that implies that my dog was rising from the bed, when instead I meant that I myself was rising from the bed. That's the very definition of a dangling modifier.

Dangling modifier: check.

You'll see my correction above.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:51 AM
I need a moderator to change this thread's title to Direckshun Tries To Learn Better Grammar Per ClevelandBronco's Advice, please.

"Garden path sentences" illustrate how people process language one word at a time. It's an ironic usage of language, and intended to be clever, if only amongst the better handlers of language.

The name comes from the saying "to be led down the garden path" meaning "to be misled".

Example (thank you Wikipedia): "The horse raced past the barn fell."

Of course that's ridiculous, and the reader usually starts to parse this as an ordinary sentence, stumbling when reaching the word "fell." At this point, the reader is forced to backtrack and look for other possible structures.

It may take some rereading to realize that "raced past the barn" is in fact a reduced relative clause with a passive participle (OF COURSE!!!), implying that "fell" is the main verb. The correct reading is then:

"The horse (that was raced past the barn) fell."

Snort. Check.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:51 AM
You'll see my correction above.
:thumb:

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 01:54 AM
A semicolon is a poor man's conjunction, apparently.

Instead of using the words "and" or "or," a semicolon can still binds two sentences more closely than they would be if separated by a full stop/period. It can be used for rhythmic or stylistic purposes.

J Diddy
03-10-2008, 02:24 AM
I'll take a guess: What is NBA basketball, Alex?

I'm happy to say that the last time I saw Shaq play he was wearing his LSU uniform.

or the uniform in the blue chips movie

Bump
03-10-2008, 03:37 AM

so do you hate the NBA for any particular reason? is it the ego's of players? the money? whats up? Too bad you've missed out on seeing some great basketball, Jordan, Bird, Magic back in the day. Today it's pretty fun to watch Lebron, Kobe and others perform.

CoMoChief
03-10-2008, 06:22 AM
It wont pay off. Suns were a run n gun team, Shaq is the complete opposite and I don't understand why they traded for him, now they are gonna have to change the way they play.

DaKCMan AP
03-10-2008, 06:25 AM
so do you hate the NBA for any particular reason? is it the ego's of players? the money? whats up? Too bad you've missed out on seeing some great basketball, Jordan, Bird, Magic back in the day. Today it's pretty fun to watch Lebron, Kobe and others perform.

He's and idiot. Not surprising since it's synonymous with Donk fan. On top of it all he's a FIFO.

CoMoChief
03-10-2008, 06:33 AM

1. Season is too long to where many games are meaningless.
2. The refs never call shit
3. The defense is sub par at best.

The Bad Guy
03-10-2008, 07:05 AM
It's Shawn Marion, not Shawn Barber or Marion Barber.

jAZ
03-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Heh... Marion Baber. I get the confusion.

MTG#10
03-10-2008, 09:01 AM
ROFL

I was reading the whole thread thinking "who the **** is Barber?"

Chiefs_5627
03-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Shaq = square peg

Suns = round hole

I think theyll show good things every now and again but its just too odd a match up imo.

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 09:49 AM
ROFL

Thanks.

Pestilence
03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
How the hell did a thread about my Suns turn into a grammar lesson?

DaKCMan AP
03-10-2008, 10:13 AM
How the hell did a thread about my Suns turn into a grammar lesson?

Moron Donkey fan.

Pestilence
03-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Moron Donkey fan.

Figures. :grr:

Halfcan
03-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I always liked sHAQ-his movies kick ass-so does his rap career

DaKCMan AP
03-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Wade has been shut down for the season PBJPBJPBJ

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 04:50 PM
To be fair, he wasn't exactly an All Star this season when Shaq was around.

Wade's a great talent, but that whole team has phoned this season in. They're in the Michael Beasley sweepstakes.

DaKCMan AP
03-10-2008, 04:52 PM
To be fair, he wasn't exactly an All Star this season when Shaq was around.

Wade's a great talent, but that whole team has phoned this season in. They're in the Michael Beasley sweepstakes.

He hasn't been healthy all year and it's been obvious. This way he can hopefully heal and it guarantees we'll keep losing (not that he was doing much to stop that). I'll take a Michael Beasley, please. :D

If the lottery fukcs us out of the top spot I hope we can at least get Derrick Rose.

KCChiefsMan
03-10-2008, 08:18 PM
He's hasn't been healthy all year and it's been obvious. This way he can hopefully heal and it guarantees we'll keep losing (not that he was doing much to stop that). I'll take a Michael Beasley, please. :D

If the lottery fukcs us out of the top spot I hope we can at least get Derrick Rose.

ya, Beasley + Wade + Marion will be lethal, if that's what happens

SNR
03-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo

Miles
03-10-2008, 09:21 PM

He doesn't watch it, therefore it sucks.

BWillie
03-10-2008, 09:58 PM
I always liked sHAQ-his movies kick ass-so does his rap career

Not to mention his amazing talent developing top of the notch video games.

http://www.paulofelipe.com/estouentediado/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/shaq_fu.jpg