PDA

View Full Version : Does Experience Matter

tiptap
03-10-2008, 07:20 AM
I have this site to go to to look at the CSV files and graphs about experience and Presidential performance. You can take the data and weigh factors and see if you can get a positive correlation with the ranking of successful Presidents according to your own ranking of who were the best Presidents. Let us know if you manage to get any correlation with your ranking and weighing. The given results certainly shows NO correlation between experience in government and success in the Presidency.

http://electoral-vote.com/

Iowanian
03-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Experience is questioned for every non-entry level position in the real world.

If it matters how much experience I have to perform an entry level position, fresh out of college, I'd think relevant experience would be a valuable asset in "upper management".

Would you hire someone to manage your IT dept with limited experience? If they claimed 35 years of experience, but had a 12 year employment gap on their resume', would you follow up with questions about that?

However, I think as an interviewer/hiring agent/voter, its relevant and legitimate to ask for clarification when an applicant claims experience.

patteeu
03-10-2008, 08:25 AM
It's an interesting site and an interesting analysis, but I don't think that the conclusion that experience is of no consequence would be justifiable. IMO, it's obvious that experience matters. But it's not the only factor that matters and it can be trumped by those other factors. And governmental experience isn't the only experience that matters either.

Oh, and it's absurd to rank JFK and Lyndon Johnson above Ronald Reagan. The Wall Street Journal's rankings make far more sense to me (at least with respect to these 3).

Cochise
03-10-2008, 08:30 AM
I don't think it's necessary to have decades of government experience, but it's equally absurd to run for president straight out of a state senate.

DaKCMan AP
03-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Oh, and it's absurd to rank JFK and Lyndon Johnson above Ronald Reagan. The Wall Street Journal's rankings make far more sense to me (at least with respect to these 3).

A conservative publication's rankings make more sense you to? Color me surprised. :rolleyes: