PDA

View Full Version : Dikembe Mutombo

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 11:12 PM
****ing owns your ass.

That is all.

Dude's 56 and he's still batting four shots a game.

19 in a row, bitches. Great run.

pr_capone
03-10-2008, 11:14 PM
4 blocks per game at 41 is impressive indeed.

Is he still a rebound monster? Also, is he still doing the finger wag?

KCChiefsMan
03-10-2008, 11:15 PM
he still plays for the Rockets?

KCChiefsMan
03-10-2008, 11:15 PM
4 blocks per game at 41 is impressive indeed.

I was always amused by that, especially back in his prime when you just better not try to take it to the hole while he's there

Miles
03-10-2008, 11:21 PM

Pretty much and yeah still doing the finger wag. He doesn't last as many minutes these days but is still impressive in short spans.

pr_capone
03-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I would not at all be surprised if he is still playing in the NBA 5 years from now.

And if not in the NBA, then whatever else league that will pay him to wear a uniform.

In sports, you tend to want the GREATS to retire before they become a laughing stock. So many of them hang on for too long. Mutombo is different though. He is not playing for himself, but to help stabilize a nation.

The guy is incredibly altruistic. Mutombo is the kind of player that all these brats and thugs in the NBA now should aspire to be.

Chiefs_5627
03-10-2008, 11:55 PM
I was always amused by that, especially back in his prime when you just better not try to take it to the hole while he's there

Unless your name is Michael Jeffrey Jordan. :D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZLqrdxvCGs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZLqrdxvCGs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

pr_capone
03-11-2008, 12:57 AM
LMFAO

I remember that. Jordan wagging his finger at Mutombo after then dunk.

MJ was something else man. I *HATED* to see him wearing a Wizards jersey and playing as a shell of his former self. I remember the expectation everyone had about his first dunk back from his last retirement. He gets the ball on a fast break and he weakly shoved the ball in the rim.

It was horrible to watch.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Mutombo is f*cking awesome. He really may be 50 years old.

When he was 35 (26) he was still a pretty damned good scorer, people forget that.

pr_capone
03-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Mutombo is f*cking awesome. He really may be 50 years old.

When he was 35 (26) he was still a pretty damned good scorer, people forget that.

Definitely first ballot HOF'er, no?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-11-2008, 01:09 AM

He's won 4 DPOY awards, is second in career blocks, and has played on numerous All-Star teams. The only thing missing is a ring, although he did play in one finals, 2001, he ran into a buzzsaw.

I think he deserves it, especially given his other contributions. He's been a great player and statesman.

KCChiefsMan
03-11-2008, 01:20 AM

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZLqrdxvCGs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZLqrdxvCGs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ya! I forgot about that one!

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-11-2008, 01:32 AM
ya! I forgot about that one!

Jordan used to give Mutombo a lot of hell. He shot a free throw with his eyes closed once during a game, just to show him up.

TEX
03-11-2008, 06:43 AM
I would not at all be surprised if he is still playing in the NBA 5 years from now.

And if not in the NBA, then whatever else league that will pay him to wear a uniform.

In sports, you tend to want the GREATS to retire before they become a laughing stock. So many of them hang on for too long. Mutombo is different though. He is not playing for himself, but to help stabilize a nation.

The guy is incredibly altruistic. Mutombo is the kind of player that all these brats and thugs in the NBA now should aspire to be.

Well said. Deke's a great person. He does alot for the Houston community and especially for his homeland. The guy really cares. GO DEKE! :clap:
GO ROCKETS! :clap:

TEX
03-11-2008, 06:45 AM
He's won 4 DPOY awards, is second in career blocks, and has played on numerous All-Star teams. The only thing missing is a ring, although he did play in one finals, 2001, he ran into a buzzsaw.

I think he deserves it, especially given his other contributions. He's been a great player and statesman.

Too bad Yao went down or he'd have had a great chance to get that ring this year...:cuss:

El Jefe
03-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Dikemebe Mutombo is my favorite player of All-Time. I used to collect his cards as a kid and have over 250 of them. He truly is a classic example of what the NBA should be. He has poured millions of his own dollars into the Hospital he is building in Africa (17mil I believe), I have all sorts of newspaper clips from his run with the Sixers. I watched almost every game that year, and after we had beat the Lakers the first game I was so excited, but then we got swept in the rest of the games.

IMO He is the greates shot blocker of ALL TIME. People forget they changed to the gay defensive 3 seconds halfway through his career, who knows how many blocks he could of had sitting in the middle of a zone and blocking everything from the weakside also. His real name for some reason I remember it from when I was a kid and did a report on him. It is Dikemebe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacques Wamutombo.

El Jefe
03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UbI1qQHKNs

This video always gets me pumped.

El Jefe
03-11-2008, 10:52 AM

MJ got his also. Watch my video from the 3:51 mark. Dikemebe told MJ no thank you.

Chiefs_5627
03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
MJ got his also. Watch my video from the 3:51 mark. Dikemebe told MJ no thank you.

Is there a player he didnt block before?!? Dude was/is a beast. :)

Although, i still like the jam in his mug more than the blocked floater. :D

Direckshun
03-11-2008, 11:52 AM
I'd love to have a conversation with Mutombo over a couple beers. Listen to all his stories -- he's probably got a great sense of humor about all the times players have teased him with his own finger wag.

El Jefe
03-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I watched the 60 Minute interview with him a good 5 years ago. It was crazy the story about his mother. Apparently she got shot during the countrys civil war and wasn't able to get to a hospital fast enough and ended up dying.

chagrin
03-11-2008, 12:40 PM

no

chagrin
03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Whew, for a second I thought you were going to say we need to sign him

El Jefe
03-11-2008, 03:20 PM
no

How isn't he? He is one of if not the best shot blocker of all time, look at his entire body of work. He's got 12,000+ rebounds, 3,250+ blocks, almost 12,000points. 4 Time DPOY, NBA All Defense Team 3 Times, 8 Time NBA All Star. 2nd in Blocks All Time. The guy has been playing for 16 years.

The Rick
03-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Dikembe was on Rome today. I heard Rome say he's super smart...like a 160 IQ.

Ebolapox

'cept MJ... jordan pwnt mount mutombo

Bowser
WHO WANTS TO SEX MUTOMBO?

Ebolapox
03-11-2008, 03:32 PM
yeah, but he isn't a jayhawk!

signed, arrogant KUfan

LiL stumppy
03-11-2008, 04:45 PM
The finger wave

http://www.nba.com/media/fingerwave_mcten.jpg

Valiant
03-11-2008, 04:48 PM
How isn't he? He is one of if not the best shot blocker of all time, look at his entire body of work. He's got 12,000+ rebounds, 3,250+ blocks, almost 12,000points. 4 Time DPOY, NBA All Defense Team 3 Times, 8 Time NBA All Star. 2nd in Blocks All Time. The guy has been playing for 16 years.

LOL How do you get DPOY of the year four times and only on the all defense team 3 times??? Who beat him out during one of his dpoy years..