PDA

View Full Version : Marty article from the Star

keg in kc
08-08-2001, 05:50 PM
Schottenheimer throws his big rulebook at everybody (http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/chiefs98.pat,sports/3acce196.808,.html)

By JOSEPH WHITE - AP Sports Writer
Date: 08/08/01 15:34

CARLISLE, Pa. -- When Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder wanted to invite selected players to a big offseason party, coach Marty Schottenheimer insisted all the players be invited.

When the Redskins put together their 2001 media guide, Schottenheimer insisted every employee's picture be included.

"It's everybody or it's nobody in my mind," Schottenheimer said. "That's just the way I think it should be."

When Stephen Davis tossed the ball to assistant general manager Bobby Mitchell at the end of a play at training camp last week, Schottenheimer fined the star running back for not giving it to a game official.

"When you have the ball, it's your ball, and you shouldn't give it up to nobody," Davis said. "Not even a Hall of Famer."

That's the new Redskins coach in a nutshell: Schottenheimer has a lot of rules, and he treats everyone the same.

"This guy is a heckler for the little things," receiver Michael Westbrook said. "Little things were never addressed in the past. He's always little things, little things. Sometimes it can get annoying, but those little things stick in your head."

Some players see Schottenheimer as the anti-Norv Turner, the coach who was fired near the end of his seventh season. Norv-bashing has become a pastime at this camp as players rail against the coach who coddled stars and botched the names of his reserves: He once went nearly an entire season referring to a rookie named Larry Jones as "Larry Allen."

"You want somebody that's demanding and has the discipline and gets the respect of the players," Jeff George said. "And I'm not so sure we had that here last year."

Or, as Westbrook put it: "If you were a star last year, or if you made over a million dollars, Norv said nothing to you."

When Schottenheimer arrived, players learned immediately that meetings were to start on time; that offseason weight room workouts were not to be missed; that being late for a meal meant no food; that they would not get a chance to go home over the first 15 days of camp.

The list goes on. Players can be fined $50 for not standing with the appropriate group during practice. There are new rules for reporters: less interview time with players; limited access to assistant coaches; and absolutely no talking to the trainer about specific injuries.

Everyone is accountable, including the running back with the $91 million contract. When Davis missed an offseason rehabilitation treatment on his forearm, he thought he would get away with it. Not under this coach.

"It's easy to reprimand the 81st player on the roster," Schottenheimer said. "But you better be able to reprimand, if it's appropriate, the first guy on the roster."

Davis understands that.

"Don't get me wrong," Davis said. "When coach Turner was here, he had some of the same rules, but now we have someone with the emphasis on being on time. He's getting the trust of the players and showing us how much we can believe in him. If he says practice ends at this time, it ends at this time."

There's not much room for flash in such an egalitarian system, so maybe it's best Deion Sanders retired. Respected fullback Larry Centers was cut because he clashed with Schottenheimer over offseason workouts. Also cut was Dana Stubblefield, whose preference for light contact at training camp wouldn't have meshed with Schottenheimer's very physical practices.

Sports is littered with coaches who have gone too far, crossing the fine line between discipline and the kind of overbearing nitpickiness that alienates his players. For now, however, most players seem willing to buy into Schottenheimer's rules because of his proven record, including 10 playoff appearances.

Yet Schottenheimer himself is the first to admit he's not getting universal acceptance.

"There are still some that don't quite get it," he said before the start of camp.

A week or so later, there were still converts to be won over.

"We have a way we believe we should do things, and obviously not everybody's going to agree with that," Schottenheimer said. "But it's been..."

He paused, trying to come up with the right word.

"... reasonably successful."

chevyfan
08-08-2001, 07:43 PM
marty tried that here, look at how it worked here, did dale carter break any of marty's rules????

htismaqe
08-08-2001, 07:44 PM
You know, it really looks to me like Marty is having trouble with getting along with the players and he HASN'T EVEN STARTED YET.

It could be a long, long season. That would really suck.

tommykat
08-08-2001, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking those guys are just beginning with him....LOL:eek:

milkman
08-08-2001, 08:28 PM
Yoy guys got it all wrong.
The 'Skins are going to buy into his program. They'll win a lot of games.

In a few years, after his playoff failures continue to mount, they'll get tired of his program, and he'll be gone shortly after that.

That, of course, depends o whether Snyder doesn't grow tired of his program first.

Personally, I hope he gets enough time to surpass Chuck Knox in most regular season wins for a HC that never got to the SB.

5 years should do it.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2001, 08:33 PM
I heard this tonight on NFL2night, tell me what you think of it, guys?...

"Marty is going to have to change, not the players."

htismaqe
08-08-2001, 08:42 PM
Hmmm...doesn't seem like they are buying it...

htismaqe
08-08-2001, 08:45 PM
They're talking about Marty on ESPNews right now...

Nice ****ing hat, Marty!

htismaqe
08-08-2001, 08:46 PM
hmmm...not too uplifting or revealing, it was all kind of "matter of fact"

Dartgod
08-10-2001, 02:02 PM
"This guy is a heckler for the little things," receiver Michael Westbrook said. :confused:

Heckler? I've never heard that word in this context before. Surely he meant "stickler" as in "stickler for details".

Baby Lee
08-10-2001, 02:09 PM
Dartgod - when I saw that, it reminded me of the NC State B-Baller from the 80's who said he could play equally well with both hands because he was "amphibious."

:)

Bob Dole
08-10-2001, 02:25 PM
The article fails to mention the rest of the Westbrook interview...

Q: What do you mean when you say Marty is a "heckler for details?"

A: I mean that Marty is really concerted about rules. He told us that they may seem miner now, but they'll be impotent later. I don't see any connection to mining, but he's the boss and I inspect his opinion.

Q: So you're doing the best you can to follow all the rules?

A: You bet I am. I'm getting paid a pretty hefty celery, so it's the least I could do. I need to be a team leader both on and off the field, and that means I need to pay detention to the rules just like everyone else.

Q: So what do you think about the rest of the coaching staff? Can you give us your thought on Jimmy Raye?

A: You sure do axe a lot of questions. But yeah, I can give you my thoughts on Jimmy Raye.

Q: Well?

A: Oh yeah. Sorry--I was extracted there for a minute by one of those hotties over there by the fence. Jimmy Raye's offense. Jimmy has told us that he has a plan, and we're starting to think that maybe he does. What he's given us so far is a couple of pages of constipated diaphragms. As far as I can tell, we're going to have a couple of running plays--one to left of center and one to the right, and some passing. He's real concerned about our virtual passing game and really wants to stretch the field.

Q: Can you tell me more about the "virtual passing game?"

A: Like I said, Jimmy wants us to stretch the field and keep the supposing defense off balance. Deep pass patterns and lots of crossing things and other constipated stuff like that. It ought to be a lot of fun for everyone evolved.

ExtremeChief
08-10-2001, 02:34 PM
lmao senator!!!!!!

some of the funniest stuff i've never heard...

Baby Lee
08-10-2001, 02:49 PM
What he's given us so far is a couple of pages of constipated diaphragms.

That should help them on at the Donkos on 11/18.