PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Lewis Out For Season, Ravens Forced To Rely On Grbac!!!!

AJKCFAN
08-08-2001, 08:01 PM
Lewis tears ACL in left knee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

WESTMINSTER, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis tore a ligament in his left knee Wednesday and is possibly out for the season.

Lewis, who left the field with trainer Bill Tessendorf during the morning practice, tore the anterior cruciate ligament and sprained the medial collateral ligament, team spokeswoman Francine Lubera said.

The injury was first thought to be a bruise, but the injury was discovered during an MRI on Wednesday evening, Lubera said.

Lewis was a key player in the Ravens' Super Bowl championship run last season, gaining 1,364 yards and scoring six touchdowns as a rookie.

Bwana
08-08-2001, 08:03 PM
Uh-Oh! It looks like Elvis is in a real jam. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. ;)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2001, 08:04 PM
Oh ****!!!!! It sucks to be the Ravens!!!!

And Grbac...well, bless his heart man, he has to do it again by himself, but the D will help him there. I'll be right back, I'm going to change the Ravens spot on my power poll.

CG

feels this is a BIG loss for the Ravens, this kid was coming on.

Logical
08-08-2001, 08:05 PM
Hate to see anyone out for the season, especially a potentially good fantasy football player. But Elvis getting the shaft is indeed sweet.

AJKCFAN
08-08-2001, 08:06 PM
Add to it that Leon Searcy is out 10-12 weeks with a nasty triceps injury and that the Ravens are the defending Super Bowl Champions and the pressure-cooker is starting to build on that "savvy vet" Grbac.

He did us a favor by leaving. We have a real leader at QB now...

philfree
08-08-2001, 08:07 PM
Gee, I bet they wish they had a Priest about this time. To bad for Jamal though.

PhilFree :cool:

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2001, 08:08 PM
Hey Chiefs, the defending champs are possibly out, you gonna step up?!?!

CG

is hoping the Chiefs take it!!!!!!!!:D

AJKCFAN
08-08-2001, 08:13 PM
Phil:

Good point. However, with them forced to rely on "Mr. Know It All About Winning Championships", they'll actually need a priest... to perform last rites, cause their run as Super Bowl Champions has ended before it actually started.

Ravens are in serious trouble... and they soon will know it too.

htismaqe
08-08-2001, 08:17 PM
Wow...I wonder if it's the same knee as before...

Remember, Peterson and Gun were real high on this guy...most of the pundits agreed that he was taken to high and was injury prone...

The Ravens are officially in deep ****...

Hoover
08-08-2001, 08:21 PM
I think this really sucks. I wanted to see Grbac fail on his own. Now he will have say well Jamal and Searcy were out. And that why the finished 8-8.

Hoover
Grbac sucks

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2001, 08:23 PM
Theres an article on cnnsi guys, I believe its by Banks. He says that they might look at Adrian Murrel or Eric Rhett...

or they may even trade for Mike Anderson.

I'm not trying to rule anything out or anything, but this guy better work his butt off, or he won't be the same. Or he may not be the same anyway (see Terrel Davis).

I really do feel for this kid though.

old_geezer
08-08-2001, 08:30 PM
I agree with Hoover. Grbac now has a ready-made excuse for the collapse of the Ravens. And you know he will use it. I too would have liked to see him screw up all on his own.

DaKCMan AP
08-08-2001, 08:31 PM
They can sign whoever they want but Mike Anderson isn't for trade. Why? He's the only back on Denver who is completely healthy. Olandis Gary isn't near 100% from last years injury and Terrell Davis has a lot to prove. He didn't practice the other day due to a tight hammy and who knows if he's lost a step in the past 2 years. To top it off Howard Griffith is having neck problems. Why would Shanahan trade the only back without any injury problems? If anything, the only back that would be traded is Gary, whose value is low because no one knows if he'll recover from last years injury.

keg in kc
08-08-2001, 08:35 PM
They'll have to give up an arm and a leg to get Anderson from Denver, but I'd say that's their only shot. A has-been at RB won't help a whole lot, IMHO, and they don't have the numbers for a committee approach (although that's a possibility).

I said weeks ago on here that Elvis might be in a bad situation with Lewis, first because he's not a good receiver and second because he's an injury waiting to happen (wow, I got one right! prolly never happen again...). Having Holmes would help them a lot because it would at least give them a versatile veteran back.

Wow. I thought he was only injured a little...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2001, 08:36 PM
Now that the Ravens are possibly (I said possibly) out of the picture, this season...

In the words of Al Saunders, "Why not us, why not the Chiefs?!"

CG

homer?...maybe:p

keg in kc
08-08-2001, 08:39 PM
Careful guys, making too light of this could pull some bad karma our way...

I'm only superstitious in football.

htismaqe
08-08-2001, 08:41 PM
I hear ya Keg, I'm certainly not going to make light of it...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2001, 08:47 PM
I never thought of it this way, but...this may make the Ravens stronger. They may develop that "against the world" attitude, like they did last year, and make a big run.

Hey, I've seen weirder, like Dilfer winning the Super Bowl... so Elvis?

Oh my!:eek:

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2001, 08:55 PM
Another thought...

This, IMO, is why people can't look at that "strength of schedule" stuff. You might look at the Ravens and see them on your schedule before the season starts, and think, "oh gosh, we play the Ravens, blah blah" but every year is different. Theres a thing in this league called injuries, and a hella lot of em'. So when you finally play that team that you feared in March, they may not be the same, do to injuries, etc., once November, December, etc. come along.

CG

agreed?

HC_Chief
08-08-2001, 08:56 PM
Wow... too bad for Lewis. That kid was poised to become an elite back (rather than just a very good, promising rook)

As many others have already stated: boy, I bet they wish they still had Priest Holmes!

keg in kc
08-08-2001, 08:56 PM
Yep.

But my opinion of SoS (PURE BUNK!) is pretty well-known already...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2001, 08:59 PM
Let me guess, Kyle...

you think it's pure BUNK?
;) :D

Radar Chief
08-08-2001, 09:05 PM
Agreed Cody,
Conversely, the team with above average to good talent and a balanced attack can become your worst nightmare.

htismaqe
08-08-2001, 09:13 PM
Yep...

Which is exactly why the Chiefs are going to rock this year!

DaWolf
08-08-2001, 09:55 PM
That sucks, now it just opens the door more for the 3 other contenders I dislike most (Tit-ans, Faiders, Donks). I'd like to think it opens the door for us but I have yet to see us play to make that judgement. Alas, best of luck to Jamal Lewis on a speedy recovery, we know how it feels to lose a key player for the season...

wyno
08-08-2001, 10:00 PM
Ravens: No running back, and no receivers, and a very shakey, overpaid, quarterback, this is starting to get good. No repeat champions here. Attention Raven bandwagoners: THE SHIP IS SINKING AND ELVIS WILL NOT SAVE YOU!!!!!!:)