PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi Results - Somebody had to do it

Logical
03-11-2008, 09:36 PM
:D

Obama 60%
HRC 38%
Edwards 1%

Another mudstomping of Hillary by Obama.

Bowser
03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Those people in Mississippi can't count. That's only 99% of the vote. Retarts.

patteeu
03-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Obama wins another state he won't have a chance to win in the general election. Go Obama.

HolmeZz
03-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Obama wins another state he won't have a chance to win in the general election. Go Obama.

Highly unlikely he could, but Chuck Todd said, just numerically, it would be in play if the black vote was maximized. The problem is Obama did poorly amongst the white dems tonight.

Bowser
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Curious, pat - do you think this is going to be a shoe-in for McCain?

Logical
03-11-2008, 10:13 PM
If the economy continues to slide further and further into the shitter as it appears it is going to, then you might be wrong.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-11-2008, 10:16 PM
It was only because of the nigras, therefore it shouldn't count.

patteeu
03-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Curious, pat - do you think this is going to be a shoe-in for McCain?

No I don't. I think it will probably be a close race regardless of which dem gets the nomination. The more I see though, the more I think McCain has a better chance against Obama.

Anything could happen though and I'm terrible at predictions. We seem to be living in some pretty wild times.

patteeu
03-11-2008, 10:20 PM
If the economy continues to slide further and further into the shitter as it appears it is going to, then you might be wrong.

The weird thing is that even with the economy slowing, very few people think it will reach the severity of the recession of the early 90's and it won't even come close to the dip of the early 80's. But yet, people are freaking out like the sky is falling.

jAZ
03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
The problem is Obama did poorly amongst the white dems tonight.
The centerpiece of Clinton's strategy is the reverse racism meme of "They're Attacking Me Because I'm White" voters. It's entirely possible that Clinton's strategy will harm Obama among White Dems in a way that McCain's camp might not be able to do.

beer bacon
03-11-2008, 10:27 PM

This is relevant. Members of the party that live in a state that usually goes Republican clearly should have no voice in what direction the party goes. Genious!

patteeu
03-11-2008, 10:35 PM
This is relevant. Members of the party that live in a state that usually goes Republican clearly should have no voice in what direction the party goes. Genious!

You're Obama's Killer Clown, aren't you?

beer bacon
03-11-2008, 10:41 PM
You're Obama's Killer Clown, aren't you?

Do you scrub yourself with lye soap every night after climbing out of bed with memy?

jAZ
03-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Here's the thing that really scares Republicans and is lost in all of the talk you are mirroring here (from Clinton, media, etc.). And for the Dems, it's one of the great promises of an Obama candidacy.

Because of his organizing skills, fundraising ability and broad appeal, he's going to be able to run (as a President) a 50 state strategy. And while he certainly wouldn't actually *win* 50 states (even a relative blowout election will be close electorally, IMO)... such a campaign would dramatically help down-balot Democrats in Red and Purple states that Hillary won't even touch.

When combined with the efforts that Dean started in 2004/5 and succeeded with in 2006... Obama could dramatically alter the long-term prospects of Dems in all corners of the country. I think Hillary has demonstrated that she can't organize nearly as well, and it appears she can't and won't try to reach into all 50 states.

Republicans REALLY want Clinton to win in every possible way.

patteeu
03-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Do you scrub yourself with lye soap every night after climbing out of bed with memy?

She wants Obama to lose the nomination. I want him to win it. Our only mutual interest is in seeing Obama bloodied in the process.

jAZ
03-11-2008, 10:47 PM
She wants Obama to lose the nomination. I want him to win it. Our only mutual interest is in seeing Obama bloodied in the process.

Why do you want him to win?

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia: Smarter than Tennessee.

Sigh.

patteeu
03-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Why do you want him to win?

Because I think he'd be easier for McCain to beat. Obviously, if he regains his magical aura he may be the kind of uber candidate with coattails a mile long that you hope for, but I think he's going to find it more difficult once he has to start defending policy instead of selling hope. I could be completely wrong though. :shrug:

beer bacon
03-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Because I think he'd be easier for McCain to beat. Obviously, if he regains his magical aura he may be the kind of uber candidate with coattails a mile long that you hope for, but I think he's going to find it more difficult once he has to start defending policy instead of selling hope. I could be completely wrong though. :shrug:

McCain is already in great position since he is so strong on Iraq and he has zero policies on the economy.

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Ahem. John McCain will "FIGHT FOR THIS COUNTRY, MY FRIENDS."

That's substance. That's leadership. That's grit.

McCain/Eckstein 2008

HolmeZz
03-11-2008, 11:08 PM
McCain is already in great position since he is so strong on Iraq and he has zero policies on the economy.

We in the biz call that a winning combo.

jAZ
03-11-2008, 11:16 PM

Any comment on my observations about Obama and the 50 state strategy? I think it's operable whether he wins or McCain wins as it's a long-term building process.

Guru
03-11-2008, 11:28 PM

Seriously? I would imagine Hillary would be easier for him to beat.

HolmeZz
03-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Any comment on my observations about Obama and the 50 state strategy? I think it's operable whether he wins or McCain wins as it's a long-term building process.

I'm not completely sure how effective the 50 state strategy would be, but it's a lot more effective argument than Hillary's 'big states' argument.

The only legitimate toss up state Hillary has won to this point has been Ohio. States like California, Texas, and New York are not going to be in play come the Fall. Obama's actually been faring better in the states that could be in play(Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Virginia, Minnesota, Colorado, Louisiana).

beer bacon
03-11-2008, 11:34 PM
99% of the Mississippi vote is in. Obama is up by 24% and 99,000 votes.

patteeu
03-12-2008, 07:19 AM

Yes. Like I said, if he regains his magical aura he may be the kind of pied piper of voters that you hope he will be and he might have long coattails. But if he loses, I don't see why he'd reshape the political landscape in the way you describe.

patteeu
03-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Seriously? I would imagine Hillary would be easier for him to beat.

Maybe. I've gone back and forth on this so I don't really have a strong preference. Both candidates seem to have significant vulnerabilities (not that John McCain is vulnerability-free or anything).

keg in kc
03-12-2008, 07:23 AM
If I wanted McCain in office I'd probably be pushing for Clinton. I don't think there's any way in hell she can win the general election. I see Obama as much more of a threat to the right. Charisma can count for an awful lot to the general public.

HolmeZz
03-12-2008, 10:06 AM
If I wanted McCain in office I'd probably be pushing for Clinton. I don't think there's any way in hell she can win the general election. I see Obama as much more of a threat to the right. Charisma can count for an awful lot to the general public.

I think it'll come into play big time once they actually start having debates and people see them side by side and interacting with each other.

Carlota69
03-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I think it'll come into play big time once they actually start having debates and people see them side by side and interacting with each other.

True dat. Even when they show newsclips of each other side by side, you can see the contrast.

StcChief
03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Highly unlikely he could, but Chuck Todd said, just numerically, it would be in play if the black vote was maximized. The problem is Obama did poorly amongst the white dems tonight.
and race/gender isn't gonna be factor in the election.

Wake up and smell the coffee.