PDA

View Full Version : FOOD: Blackening...

Fire Me Boy!
03-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Made some blackened chicken last night. Pretty tasty. It was pretty windy outside, so I did it all indoors. Didn't set off the smoke alarm, but I did have to go outside to catch my breath.

Here's my homemade blackening rub:

3 T. Spanish paprika
1 T. Hungarian paprika
1 T. Ground oregano
1 T. Ground thyme
1 T. Onion powder
1 T. Garlic powder
1 T. Cayenne
1 T. Black pepper
1 T. White pepper

This is the first time I've blackened anything. I've eaten blackened food before, but never made it.

I was impressed. Definitely will do it again.

And I'd HIGHLY recommend grinding everything. The original recipe called for just dried oregano and thyme, but I didn't think the texture would be good. So I mixed everything together, then ran it all through the electric spice grinder.

If you don't like it so hot (like my wife), cut the cayenne in half. It makes it a little warm, but not overpowering. My wife can't eat anything spicy, and she liked this stuff.

Tonight, I may try it on fish.

chasedude
03-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Mmmm sounds good. I've never tried making it but I love to eat it.

As Justin Wilson would say "Guarantee!!!"

Dartgod
03-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Blackened fish is the bomb. I usually use it on tilapia.

vailpass
03-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Blackened prime rib goes down a treat.

xbarretx
03-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Made some blackened chicken last night. Pretty tasty. It was pretty windy outside, so I did it all indoors. Didn't set off the smoke alarm, but I did have to go outside to catch my breath.

Here's my homemade blackening rub:

3 T. Spanish paprika
1 T. Hungarian paprika
1 T. Ground oregano
1 T. Ground thyme
1 T. Onion powder
1 T. Garlic powder
1 T. Cayenne
1 T. Black pepper
1 T. White pepper

This is the first time I've blackened anything. I've eaten blackened food before, but never made it.

I was impressed. Definitely will do it again.

And I'd HIGHLY recommend grinding everything. The original recipe called for just dried oregano and thyme, but I didn't think the texture would be good. So I mixed everything together, then ran it all through the electric spice grinder.

If you don't like it so hot (like my wife), cut the cayenne in half. It makes it a little warm, but not overpowering. My wife can't eat anything spicy, and she liked this stuff.

Tonight, I may try it on fish.

so do you just dust that stuff on or cake it on? the recipe was good for how much chicken?

p.s. thanks for the recipe :)

Fire Me Boy!
03-14-2008, 11:25 AM
so do you just dust that stuff on or cake it on? the recipe was good for how much chicken?

p.s. thanks for the recipe :)

I did like 10 chicken tenders and had quite a bit leftover. Use however much spice you want. I put a pretty good coating on it, but didn't exactly cake it on. But certainly more than a dusting.

xbarretx
03-14-2008, 11:31 AM
I did like 10 chicken tenders and had quite a bit leftover. Use however much spice you want. I put a pretty good coating on it, but didn't exactly cake it on. But certainly more than a dusting.

:hail: thanks man

MOhillbilly
03-14-2008, 11:39 AM
how do you get the skillet right for fish?how hot ect?

melbar
03-14-2008, 11:49 AM
useually you want to "sear" the spices on with high heat to begin with then lower the temp. An Iron skillet works best for searing. I love it on steaks!

Fire Me Boy!
03-14-2008, 11:49 AM
how do you get the skillet right for fish?how hot ect?

I think the key for blackening is "hot as hell". Generally, you put it on hot coals. I did it indoors, but I checked the temp with my handy dandy IR thermometer and it was 694 degrees.

MOhillbilly
03-14-2008, 11:54 AM
right on. thanks guys.

Fire Me Boy!
03-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I speak from experience... if I had to do it again, I'd do it outside. If you're doin' it right, it creates a lot of smoke.

Once you have the pan scorching hot, put a little canola oil in it.

And the fish will go great with some browned butter (per Simply Red).

He'd also suggest a little liquid smoke and apricot preserves, but I'd stick with the browned butter.

Katie
03-14-2008, 02:11 PM
What the heck is the difference between Hungarian and Spanish paprika?

DaKCMan AP
03-14-2008, 02:13 PM

Jó napot and Hola</pre>

Fire Me Boy!
03-15-2008, 06:33 PM

Spanish is a smokier, spicier paprika. Hungarian is sweeter. Using multiple paprikas adds a depth of flavor that isn't present if you go with just the Spanish.

And just FYI, Spanish is traditional. If you just use "regular" paprika, it's going to at least be the Spanish title.

CrazyPhuD
03-15-2008, 06:45 PM
sounds good. Just make sure when you do it that you're blackening a naturally dark fish. People tend to get upset when you blacken white fish.

Fire Me Boy!
03-15-2008, 07:08 PM
:spock:

What? It's pretty common to blacken tilapia, which is about as white as you get.