PDA

View Full Version : Pope John Paul had a gold-plated bike

Count Zarth
03-14-2008, 08:44 PM
But yeah, the Catholic Church isn't ostentatious or anything, are they?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-COLNAGO-MEXICO-GOLD-PLATED-POPE-JOHN-PAUL-II-bike_W0QQitemZ200207102537QQihZ010QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is common knowledge that Ernesto Colnago built a gold plated Mexico which he presented to Pope John Paul II. It is less well known that an Identical bike was built to take to Trade Shows and other Displays. This is that second machine.

This bicycle is built of Columbus Tubing and Gold Plated. It is NOT a restoration, or a replica, this is the REAL DEAL. This bike was never ridden, :rolleyes:but does show some wear, from being taken on the road. The imperfections include: some saddle scuffs, an imperfection in the plating on the right fork blade (looks like rubbing from packaging), and a small imperfection on the top tube, in line with the rear cable guide. This is your chance to own a historically significant machine. The ONLY other one I know of was in the Vatican Museum, was returned to Ernesto Colnago upon the death of John Paul II, and is now in the Colnago Museum.

pikesome
03-14-2008, 08:47 PM
But yeah, the Catholic Church isn't ostentatious or anything, are they?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-COLNAGO-MEXICO-GOLD-PLATED-POPE-JOHN-PAUL-II-bike_W0QQitemZ200207102537QQihZ010QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not 100% sure on this but I'd guess the Pope is given a lot of things that he wouldn't really ask for. Near the top of that list might be a gold-plated bike.

Count Zarth
03-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm not 100% sure on this but I'd guess the Pope is given a lot of things that he wouldn't really ask for. Near the top of that list might be a gold-plated bike.

Who cares? He was given not one...BUT TWO! AND HE KEPT THEM.

They should have been immediately auctioned off to the highest bidder and the money gone to charity. Unless the Pope, Mr. Pius and most holy, thinks keeping gold-plated crap around meets with his bosses' approval.

JPII - FRAUD.

alanm
03-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Now you did it.

alanm
03-14-2008, 09:09 PM

They should have been immediately auctioned off to the highest bidder and the money gone to charity. Unless the Pope, Mr. Pius and most holy, thinks keeping gold-plated crap around meets with his bosses' approval.

JPII - FRAUD.
Their Vatican property now. Don't push the envelope lest you have Sicilians asking your whereabouts. STFU

pikesome
03-14-2008, 09:19 PM

JPII - FRAUD.

You might have a point. On the other hand when I was growing up I was taught you don't give away or sell gifts. Who knows what the thinking was.

If you want to bitch about the Pope there's other issues that might be a bit more pertinent though.

Taco John
03-14-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm a little more concerned that they attempted to cover up all the child molestation that was going on behind closed doors, and that when they got busted they played musical priests and just shuffled them around.

But yeah, a gold plated bike. Dastardly.

pikesome
03-14-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm a little more concerned that they attempted to cover up all the child molestation that was going on behind closed doors, and that when they got busted they played musical priests and just shuffled them around.

But yeah, a gold plated bike. Dastardly.

There's something to discuss in this post.

And it's not a God Damn bike.

Count Zarth
03-14-2008, 09:46 PM
What do you want to bet there's gold-plated shit all over the vatican?

Assholes.

BucEyedPea
03-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Their Vatican property now. Don't push the envelope lest you have Sicilians asking your whereabouts. STFU

You referrin' to me? Sicilian here. Da family alreadya knowsa his wheraboutsa.

And the good people that donate to the RCC or the Pope their own money voluntarily are the only ones who'd have a right to object.

BucEyedPea
03-14-2008, 09:49 PM
What do you want to bet there's gold-plated shit all over the vatican?

Assholes.

I can vouch there is and not just there either, but throughout a lot of other Catholic churches ww. It isn't the world's richest church for nothing. I mean even rich old ladies donate all their money to them at death.

alanm
03-14-2008, 09:52 PM
I can vouch there is and not just there either, but throughout a lot of other Catholic churches ww. It isn't the world's richest church for nothing. I mean even rich old ladies donate all their money to them at death.
I would kill to spend a couple of months rooting around in the Vatican basement. :D

BucEyedPea
03-14-2008, 09:54 PM
I would kill to spend a couple of months rooting around in the Vatican basement. :D

Yeah that would be fun. I hope that wasn't a typo though. That you may have meant looting?:)

pikesome
03-14-2008, 09:55 PM
I can vouch there is and not just there either throughout a lot of other Catholic churches. It isn't the world's richest church for nothing.

The Catholic Church is a study in compound interest, lots of people X lots of years. Throw in some less than dedicated management at times...

I mean old ladies donate all their money to them at death.

This might be true but in my town growing up it was the Protestants that did this kind of thing.

BucEyedPea
03-14-2008, 09:57 PM
This might be true but in my town growing up it was the Protestants that did this kind of thing.
Couldn't be they're the heretics. And the RC's corner the market on the rich dead old ladies. Afterall, it's the richest of them all.

pikesome
03-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Couldn't be they're the heretics. And the RC's corner the market on the rich dead old ladies. Afterall, it's the richest of them all.

Not where I grew up, too many people from Mexico or Laos and rural types.

BucEyedPea
03-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Not where I grew up, too many people from Mexico or Laos and rural types.

I was only being tic. And I meant the Protestants.

Fishpicker
03-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the Vatican has more solid gold than any Nation. They have so much, it isnt safe to store it within city of seven hills. They have it stored in Switzerland, London, & the US.

what was that new mortal sin regarding wealth?

Iowanian
03-16-2008, 03:40 PM
ALRIGHT! AN EASTER CATHOLIC BASH!!!

Where are the tickets being sold?

Count Zarth
03-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Sicilians for goatse? ROFL