PDA

View Full Version : C Hartwig to meet with Chiefs Sun.

melbar
03-15-2008, 05:54 PM
March 15: Recently released Hartwig met with the Steelers' coaching staff on Friday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting. NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Hartwig's next stop will be in Kansas City on Sunday

MIAdragon
03-15-2008, 05:57 PM
The guys played in a total of 17 games in the last 2 years, is this really what we need?

Ebolapox
03-15-2008, 05:58 PM
PRINT EM!

wait... too premature?

JBucc
03-15-2008, 06:05 PM
The guys played in a total of 17 games in the last 2 years, is this really what we need?I don't know much about him, but he started 15 last year, and only started 2 the year before because he was put on IR. But before that he started 16, 15, and 16 games for the Titans. Experience should not be an issue.

KcMizzou
03-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I don't know much about him, but he started 15 last year, and only started 2 the year beforeBut it sounds so much nastier when you say 17 in the last 2 years! All aboard the doom train!

MIAdragon
03-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Hartwig started the first 15 games of the 2007 season, but suffered a knee injury against Dallas on December 22 and finished the campaign on injured reserve.

He was signed as a free agent by Carolina prior to the start of the 2006 season, but he suffered a groin injury in the season opener and played in just two games.

TRR
03-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Hartwig was a very good Center before the injury. I did a little more research on him when he was released recently, and Titans fans seem to think that he just wasn't fully recovered from his injury, and may never be what he once was.

He is young though. Turning 30 shortly, and a lot of times, players need two full seasons to come back from an injury.

Deberg_1990
03-15-2008, 07:17 PM
No Thanks...pass

CupidStunt
03-15-2008, 07:24 PM
No Thanks...pass

Yup.

Go with a young guy.

BigMeatballDave
03-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I have no problem with this. This line needs all the help it can get.

Buehler445
03-15-2008, 07:56 PM
I have no problem with this. This line needs all the help it can get.

Yeah. If nothing else, see if he will take the vet min and use him as a backup.

What kills me is that no one on the Chiefs realizes that not only do we need starters, but our backups are shit too.

You figure we'll keep:
D-Mac
Waters
Niswanger
Taylor

That still leaves 6 positions to fill (10 total with 5 starters and 5 backups). I don't think all those are fillable in the draft.

I'm for signing some FA guys IFF they are of the understanding that they are backups.

Woodrow Call
03-15-2008, 08:00 PM
I could see them making this move. Probably will come cheap and if the Chiefs find a center in the draft he would be decent depth. Plus he looks the part of the mauler Herm might be looker for at center, 6'4'' 312 lbs.

milkman
03-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Seems like to good place to ask.

Anyone know anything about Travis Leffew?

mikey23545
03-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Some people are just retarded. You can't have an entire team of 19 year olds.

milkman
03-15-2008, 08:23 PM

We have Tony Gonzalez, Brian Waters, Alfonzo Boone, Donnie Edwards, and Patrick Surtain.

There's plenty of vet leadership there.

mikey23545
03-15-2008, 08:35 PM
We have Tony Gonzalez, Brian Waters, Alfonzo Boone, Donnie Edwards, and Patrick Surtain.

There's plenty of vet leadership there.

Nobody said anything about veteran leadership. I'm just talking about players who can play.

As long as you add two young players for every vet you pick up, guess what? Your team is getting younger.

There's way too many idiots on this BB who knee jerk every time someone over tha age of 21 is mentioned.

blueballs
03-15-2008, 08:38 PM
They have to sign an older guy
so they Herm haters have something new to rant about

milkman
03-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Nobody said anything about veteran leadership. I'm just talking about players who can play.

As long as you add two young players for every vet you pick up, guess what? Your team is getting younger.

There's way too many idiots on this BB who knee jerk every time someone over tha age of 21 is mentioned.

So you're saying "Let's add old players" simply to fill out the roster?

mikey23545
03-15-2008, 08:41 PM
So you're saying "Let's add old players" simply to fill out the roster?

Where the **** did I say that, you retarded shrimp?

I realize that at the advanced age of 29 Hartwig is near death, but considering what else we have at center, he is worth taking a look at.

milkman
03-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Where the **** did I say that, you retarded shrimp?

I realize that at the advanced age of 29 Hartwig is near death, but considering what else we have at center, he is worth taking a look at.

So if someone questions your ideas, you take it personally and start the personal attacks?

Retarded shrimp?

Nice.

I'm awed by your mental midgetry.

TRR
03-15-2008, 09:21 PM
So if someone questions your ideas, you take it personally and start the personal attacks?

Retarded shrimp?

Nice.

I'm awed by your mental midgetry.

I understand your thought process as well, but you can't go young just so you can call your team young. You have to have some talent as well. At 29 years old, Hartwig could play Center for another 5 or 6 seasons at a high level. There's nothing wrong with signing guys 30 or younger.

If we follow your pattern of thought, then we need to cut Tony Gonzalez, Patrick Surtain, Damien McCintosh, Donnie Edwards, etc...

Obviously adding a Center at 29 is better than going with a guy that is 35 like Casey Wiegmann

MIAdragon
03-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Anyone know anything about Travis Leffew?

dont know much but he was expected to be a first day draft pick (draftdaddy).

BIO: Four-year starter who played 50 games with the first team. Awarded varying degrees of All-Conference honors since his sophomore campaign.

POSITIVES: Intelligent blocker who does the little things well. Quick off the snap and displays footwork protecting the edge. Makes effective use of angles, body positioning and plays heads-up football. Attacks assignments, works well with teammates and displays outstanding awareness.

NEGATIVES: Marginal athlete who must improve his playing strength and skill on the second level.

ANALYSIS: A finesse blocker who gets the most from his abilities, Leffew has potential as a utility lineman in the NFL based on his knowledge of the game and approach towards it.

milkman
03-15-2008, 09:32 PM
I understand your thought process as well, but you can't go young just so you can call your team young. You have to have some talent as well. At 29 years old, Hartwig could play Center for another 5 or 6 seasons at a high level. There's nothing wrong with signing guys 30 or younger.

If we follow your pattern of thought, then we need to cut Tony Gonzalez, Patrick Surtain, Damien McCintosh, Donnie Edwards, etc...

Obviously adding a Center at 29 is better than going with a guy that is 35 like Casey Wiegmann

I was only trying to clarify his thought process.

Does he believe that Hartwig is a guy that can play, or is simply trying to get bodies to fill roster positions?

If he's just a body, then I prefer a to go younger.

If he'a a guy that can play for a number of years, then I have nothing against the idea of bringing him in.

I just don't want to sign 33-34 year old players or 30 year old scrubs, even if they have a few years left.

TRR
03-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I was only trying to clarify his thought process.

Does he believe that Hartwig is a guy that can play, or is simply trying to get bodies to fill roster positions?

If he's just a body, then I prefer a to go younger.

If he'a a guy that can play for a number of years, then I have nothing against the idea of bringing him in.

I just don't want to sign 33-34 year old players or 30 year old scrubs, even if they have a few years left.

If Hartwig is recovered from the injury, then he can play without a doubt. He is a mauling type Center when healthy. And he'll only be 30 by the time the 2008 season starts.

Even if Hartwig isn't full recovered, in my opinion, he had a hell of a lot better season than Wiegmann did last year. It would be a good addition, and give KC some experience to compete with Niswanger.

milkman
03-15-2008, 09:45 PM
If Hartwig is recovered from the injury, then he can play without a doubt. He is a mauling type Center when healthy. And he'll only be 30 by the time the 2008 season starts.

Even if Hartwig isn't full recovered, in my opinion, he had a hell of a lot better season than Wiegmann did last year. It would be a good addition, and give KC some experience to compete with Niswanger.

If he's fully recovered, then I like the idea of him coming in.

A few years ago, he mauler for the Titans.

But he hasn't been the same since his groin injury a couple of years ago.

TRR
03-15-2008, 09:51 PM
If he's fully recovered, then I like the idea of him coming in.

A few years ago, he mauler for the Titans.

But he hasn't been the same since his groin injury a couple of years ago.

Like I said earlier...Sometimes it takes 2 full seasons to recover from an injury like that, especially after missing a FULL season. At any rate, I believe Hartwig is a better option than anyone KC has on the roster even if not the player he once was.

He would have stuck with the Panthers this year if we would have accepted a change to RG. The Titans wanted to get their 2nd round draft pick (Ryan Kalil) on the field. Hartwig declined to switch positions.

Huffman83
03-15-2008, 09:53 PM
It wouldn't be the worst signing of the off-season. I'd hope he would be kind of an insurance policy if Niswanger (sp?) wasn't going to work out as the Center. I'd rather try out the guys like Niswanger, Taylor, Stallings etc.... Just to see if they work.

I'm hoping if those 3 young O-linemen can stay healthy. They can help fill out the Chiefs weak right half of the OL. Those guys were late round picks. And the Chiefs need to see what they have w/ them.

But depth on the O-line is def. needed.

TRR
03-15-2008, 09:56 PM
It wouldn't be the worst signing of the off-season. I'd hope he would be kind of an insurance policy if Niswanger (sp?) wasn't going to work out as the Center. I'd rather try out the guys like Niswanger, Taylor, Stallings etc.... Just to see if they work.

I'm hoping if those 3 young O-linemen can stay healthy. They can help fill out the Chiefs weak right half of the OL. Those guys were late round picks. And the Chiefs need to see what they have w/ them.

But depth on the O-line is def. needed.

You can't start all of them together. We need another veteran on the OL to give Croyle even a half of a chance.

milkman
03-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Like I said earlier...Sometimes it takes 2 full seasons to recover from an injury like that, especially after missing a FULL season. At any rate, I believe Hartwig is a better option than anyone KC has on the roster even if not the player he once was.

He would have stuck with the Titans this year if we would have accepted a change to RG. The Titans wanted to get their 2nd round draft pick (Ryan Kalil) on the field. Hartwig declined to switch positions.

That was the Panthers.

He was a Titan until a couple of seasons ago.

He signed with the Panthers as a FA before the '06 season.

But you're right, the Panthers wanted to get Kalil on the field.

TRR
03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
That was the Panthers.

I meant the Panthers...My fault.

KCChiefsMan
03-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I want to sign him. He played for KU baby! Gotta go with the former Jayhawk....if the price is right

KCChiefsMan
03-15-2008, 10:26 PM

that's pretty commonplace around these parts.

RustShack
03-15-2008, 10:44 PM

Over 3/4 of our team wont be first year players... and I don't know many 19 year olds in the NFL either... :spock:

RustShack
03-15-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say we sign the guy though...

Tribal Warfare
03-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Over 3/4 of our team wont be first year players... and I don't know many 19 year olds in the NFL either... :spock:

Amobi Okoye was the only exception

Huffman83
03-16-2008, 12:19 AM
You can't start all of them together. We need another veteran on the OL to give Croyle even a half of a chance.

The Chiefs did have vets. Even if the Chiefs draft a Otah or Clady for the RT spot. I don't see why they wouldn't have some more young guys like Taylor or Niswanger starting.

It already sucked w/ Welbourne and Terry. Let the young guys play so we can move on if they don't work.

However, I doubt any of the past 3 guards and centers the Chiefs have drafted will be healthy all season.

Direckshun
03-16-2008, 12:36 AM
you retarded shrimp
And the Planet's got a new first.

Chiefs_5627
03-16-2008, 12:50 AM
The way things have gone he prob wont make it out of Pit. :spock:

ChiefsCountry
03-16-2008, 01:59 AM
If can push Rudy and make him a better player or beat him out, fine with me. More competion the better.

Micjones
03-16-2008, 02:17 AM
One minute we champion the "youth movement".
The next minute we're clamoring for a soon to be 30-year old Center?

Mmmmkay...

RustShack
03-16-2008, 02:33 AM
[QUOTE=mikey23545;4632798]Where the **** did I say that, you retarded shrimp?QUOTE]

I think the same place he said to fill the roster with 19 year olds...

milkman
03-16-2008, 05:38 AM

Mmmmkay...

The thing is, though, that there does have to be a balance.

Not every young player the Chiefs sign or draft is going to pan out.

Hartwig is pushing 30, but a center can play well into his 30's.

My concern is wether he is healthy.

If given a choice, I'd rather go younger.

But a guy like Hartwig can play push Niswanger, or a draft, and if he won the starter's job outright, can play for another 7-8 years.

GrimReepa27
03-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Hartwig was a very good Center before the injury. I did a little more research on him when he was released recently, and Titans fans seem to think that he just wasn't fully recovered from his injury, and may never be what he once was.

He is young though. Turning 30 shortly, and a lot of times, players need two full seasons to come back from an injury.

He is going to be 29 not 30

BigMeatballDave
03-16-2008, 06:43 AM

Anyone know anything about Travis Leffew?Not a clue. I hadn't heard of him, and didn't know he was Chief until I googled him.

BigMeatballDave
03-16-2008, 06:48 AM
I really want this team to get young, which is what its doing. I have no problem with a 30 yo center.

Micjones
03-16-2008, 06:50 AM
The thing is, though, that there does have to be a balance.

Not every young player the Chiefs sign or draft is going to pan out.

Hartwig is pushing 30, but a center can play well into his 30's.

My concern is wether he is healthy.

If given a choice, I'd rather go younger.

But a guy like Hartwig can play push Niswanger, or a draft, and if he won the starter's job outright, can play for another 7-8 years.

I tend to agree. My earlier post was really a jab at posters who think this team is going to be comprised of 24 year old players with no elder statesmen around to guide them.

Hartwig would be a solid signing. And would allow Niswanger to play the other Guard spot (where he played well in spot duty). And you could still draft a Tackle and a Guard in April.

CupidStunt
03-16-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say we sign the guy though...

Hartwig's agent: "Let's get one thing straight, Mr. Peterson: My client isn't coming here for the privelege of playing for the awful Chiefs. He ..."

C.P.: "Now let me stop you there, sir. This is a young team and we're right in the thick of our 19th annual five-year plan. Justin could be the piece of the puzzle that puts us over the top."

Agent: "Somehow I doubt that. Now let's get down to the money. My client is looking for upwards of $3 million per year and, for his security and his families', needs at least $10 million guaranteed. That's market value, Mr. Peterson. Is it Carl? Do you mind if I call you Carl?"

C.P.: "Well, n- ..."

Agent: "That's great. So where can my client sign, Carl?"

C.P.: "We like Justin, and we're prepared to make him the 26th highest-paid center in the league. The offer is three years, $5.1 million, with a $500,000 signing bonus."

Agent: "We'll be back off to Pittsburgh then. Thanks for the coffee, Carl. Oh, and good luck on the golf course next year. The NFL will miss you, even if Chiefs fans won't."

BigMeatballDave
03-16-2008, 06:56 AM

Mmmmkay...:rolleyes: This team sucks and needs bodies. He'll be 30 this fall. Training camp fodder at the least, or possible good depth. ****ing people, I swear...:shake:

milkman
03-16-2008, 07:08 AM
I tend to agree. My earlier post was really a jab at posters who think this team is going to be comprised of 24 year old players with no elder statesmen around to guide them.

Hartwig would be a solid signing. And would allow Niswanger to play the other Guard spot (where he played well in spot duty). And you could still draft a Tackle and a Guard in April.

I did some looking around before I asked about Leffew.

I was hoping to get some feedback here.

But after looking at Leffew's history, I think there's a chance that the Chiefs see him as a possible candidate to play at LG.

I think he will compete for the position with Niswanger, while Niswqanger will also be competing at center.

Hartwig would be another guy in the mix at center, allowing waters to remain at LG.

I also think that they might be looking at Herb Taylor to compete at RT.

I could see a scenario,that has Niswanger at center, Leffew and Taylor on the right side, and Waters and McIntosh on the left side, with a rookie (Nicks or Collins) working in at LT as the season progresses.

I could also see Taylor bring moved to LT competing with McIntosh, with the rookie on the right side.

Hartwig added to the mix as a possible starter at center, and we see Niswanger at RG.

MIAdragon
03-16-2008, 09:22 AM
He is going to be 29 not 30

http://educationalbeginnings.com/content/products/playbooks/learntocoount.jpg

Shox
03-16-2008, 09:48 AM

Mmmmkay...

Smart Chief fans are not on the "youth movement" band wagon.

I'm on a "talent movement" band wagon. Hartwig is a better talent about anything we have and he has some experience. Every great team needs a good blend of youth, experience and leadership............oh and some talent.

It would be a good signing, probably at a reasonable price tag.

Zouk
03-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Center's got to make all the line calls. Not a great place for a rookie. Plus there's not really loads of first-day sure-fire center prospects. Possibly not any at all. They went after Faine for a reason.

The Chiefs seems to like to sign free agents with local or somewhat local connections - Jon McGraw, Kansas St., Adrian Jones, Kansas, DeMorrio Williams, Nebraska, went after Josh Brown from NE Oklahoma, now Justin Hartwig from KU. It helps to have someone who's familiar and is comfortable living in or around KC.

I hope we get this guy.

milkman
03-16-2008, 10:37 AM

Yeah, cause smart Chiefs fans see all those SBs in the last 20 years and recognize how all those free agent signings and older experienced players have contributed to that success.

Meanwhile, teams like the Colts built their core through the draft and only have one SB to show for it.

StcChief
03-16-2008, 10:57 AM
check him out a Vet C especially if Rudy isn't ready

BigChiefFan
03-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Center's got to make all the line calls. Not a great place for a rookie. Plus there's not really loads of first-day sure-fire center prospects. Possibly not any at all. They went after Faine for a reason.

The Chiefs seems to like to sign free agents with local or somewhat local connections - Jon McGraw, Kansas St., Adrian Jones, Kansas, DeMorrio Williams, Nebraska, went after Josh Brown from NE Oklahoma, now Justin Hartwig from KU. It helps to have someone who's familiar and is comfortable living in or around KC.

I hope we get this guy.
It's because they know the team is going to suck ass, so they bring in players that locals will pull for and keep interested in the team. It's the players sucks ass, but he's a fan favorite crap, that Mr. Peterson loves. He's signs them on the cheap and some think they'll turn into superstars as Chiefs. See Nick Reid.

Micjones
03-16-2008, 12:10 PM
:rolleyes: This team sucks and needs bodies. He'll be 30 this fall. Training camp fodder at the least, or possible good depth. ****ing people, I swear...:shake:

Check your sarcasm gauge... It's broken.

Micjones
03-16-2008, 12:14 PM

:clap:

beach tribe
03-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Don't have time to read the thread, but if he's cheap bring him in.

If he's shit he won't last through camp. Maybe he returns to form maybe not, but we have nobody at the moment. I would have a lot of lineman in camp if i had any say in this organization.

melbar
03-16-2008, 01:05 PM
We also need veteran leadership on the line. I think it would be a good signing and I hope someone earns his job in the future.

RustShack
03-16-2008, 01:10 PM
He still has some years left in him... I'm all for the youth movement but not every player we bring in will be rookies. I want the majority to be young... but a few older guys to compete and help push the young guys is fine with me. I'm not a big fan of rookies being backed up by rookies...

melbar
03-16-2008, 01:29 PM
The plot gets thicker...
The price goes up...
Saints | Team showing interest in Hartwig
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:06:49 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports free-agent OL Justin Hartwig (Panthers) has received interest from the New Orleans Saints.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broncos | Team showing interest in Hartwig
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:06:32 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports free-agent OL Justin Hartwig (Panthers) has received interest from the Denver Broncos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seahawks | Team showing interest in Hartwig
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:06:10 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports free-agent OL Justin Hartwig (Panthers) has received interest from the Seattle Seahawks.

Dolphins | Team showing interest in Hartwig
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:05:45 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports free-agent OL Justin Hartwig (Panthers) has received interest from the Miami Dolphins.

Wilson8
03-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Just going by the number of offensive line positions the Chiefs need to fill, the number of draft picks they have, and the other needs that KC has, the Chiefs need to sign at least one free agent offensive lineman. I would like to see them either bring in Justin Hartwig or Shane Olivea. Olivea is 26 years old and has 57 starts in the NFL. He has played right tackle but might also play guard. He also would have some motivation in playing San Diego two times per year.

MIAdragon
03-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Just going by the number of offensive line positions the Chiefs need to fill, the number of draft picks they have, and the other needs that KC has, the Chiefs need to sign at least one free agent offensive lineman. I would like to see them either bring in Justin Hartwig or Shane Olivea. Olivea is 26 years old and has 57 starts in the NFL. He has played right tackle but might also play guard. He also would have some motivation in playing San Diego two times per year.

Hell no on Shane Olivea the guy has NO heart and got benched for it in SD. I think RoidBoy called him out for just "collecting checks and not caring" or something like that.

chagrin
03-16-2008, 02:29 PM
But it sounds so much nastier when you say 17 in the last 2 years! All aboard the doom train!

LOL! No ****ing doubt, this place is nuts

Chiefaholic
03-16-2008, 02:47 PM
We have so many holes on the O-Line to fill, it would be impossible to fill in one draft. If he clears team doctors, I wouldn't mind signing him to a 2-3 year contract. At the very least, he'de be a solid backup. At best, he'll be a starter for a few seasons while we draft his future replacement.

Rausch
03-16-2008, 02:53 PM
We have so many holes on the O-Line to fill, it would be impossible to fill in one draft. If he clears team doctors, I wouldn't mind signing him to a 2-3 year contract. At the very least, he'de be a solid backup. At best, he'll be a starter for a few seasons while we draft his future replacement.

I'm for just about anything that adds size to the position and keeps Waters at G where he belongs...

Chiefaholic
03-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm for just about anything that adds size to the position and keeps Waters at G where he belongs...

Even a better reason to pick the guy up. Waters is a Pro-Bowl caliber guard. Let's not take a chance on screwing that up and get a guy in who can start for at least a couple seasons.

Wilson8
03-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Hell no on Shane Olivea the guy has NO heart and got benched for it in SD. I think RoidBoy called him out for just "collecting checks and not caring" or something like that.

Shane came into San Diego as a 7th round draft pick and started 16 games his first year. The Chargers in 2006 thought enough of him to sign him to a contract extension through 2011. Last year he had a back injury that bothered him through out the year and kept him from playing up to standards. Some players and management became upset with him. RoidBoy probably thought he should just shoot up and keep playing. Shane requested his release and San Diego management granted his request. He is a tenacious and powerful run blocker and may be better playing guard. Considering Kansas City’s offensive line needs, he merits at least consideration.

mikey23545
03-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Even a better reason to pick the guy up. Waters is a Pro-Bowl caliber guard. Let's not take a chance on screwing that up and get a guy in who can start for at least a couple seasons.

I can't believe you guys don't care that Hartwig will be turning 40 during the 2018 season...What happened to wanting to rebuild with youth?

pikesome
03-16-2008, 03:28 PM
I can't believe you guys don't care that Hartwig will be turning 40 during the 2018 season...What happened to wanting to rebuild with youth?

Sarcasm, right?

milkman
03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Sarcasm, right?

No.

Dickwad.

MIAdragon
03-16-2008, 03:39 PM
No.

Dickwad.

LMAO

pikesome
03-16-2008, 03:48 PM
No.

Dickwad.

You never know around here.

melbar
03-16-2008, 04:10 PM
No.

Dickwad.

ROFL

mikey23545
03-16-2008, 04:15 PM
No.

Dickwad.

I guess that joke must have been at an altitude of five feet or so and went right over your head....

milkman
03-16-2008, 04:18 PM
I guess that joke must have been at an altitude of five feet or so and went right over your head....

So, you are prejudiced towards those if us that are height challenged?

Big Chief Homer
03-16-2008, 06:51 PM
there is a thread over at the star board saying Hartwig has agreed to a contract in principal.nothing is signed yet.There is no link and its just a rumor as of now.Just thought Id let everyone in on it,but I'll believe it when I see it.

royr17
03-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Come on Carl get this done.

We need a Center badly and Hartwig has good size for a center.

He's 6'4", 312 lbs., come on Chiefs get it done

ROYC75
03-16-2008, 07:01 PM
A KU boy, come on home.

Easy 6
03-16-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm not holding my breath & its probably not necessary anyway.

Lets draft a version of this guy 5-6 years younger.

kcchiefsus
03-16-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm not holding my breath & its probably not necessary anyway.

Lets draft a version of this guy 5-6 years younger.

And what if that guy is not ready to start as a rookie? Then what? Hope Croyle is fast enough to avoid the rush on his own?

What if we might just want to narrow down the big needs we have in the draft. If we sign Hartwig we can probably wait until the 5th or 6th round to draft a center unless we have a chance for somebody we can't pass up on.

Tribal Warfare
03-16-2008, 08:33 PM
personally I have no problems signing FA OL, because the O-line is something not to F*CK with and if it means signing vet OL do it.

chop
03-16-2008, 08:36 PM
there is a thread over at the star board saying Hartwig has agreed to a contract in principal.nothing is signed yet.There is no link and its just a rumor as of now.Just thought Id let everyone in on it,but I'll believe it when I see it.

I won't believe it until it gets posted at WPI.

Easy 6
03-16-2008, 09:16 PM
And what if that guy is not ready to start as a rookie? Then what? Hope Croyle is fast enough to avoid the rush on his own?

What if we might just want to narrow down the big needs we have in the draft. If we sign Hartwig we can probably wait until the 5th or 6th round to draft a center unless we have a chance for somebody we can't pass up on.

There seem to be a ton of "Ifs" involved with Herr Hartwig...he MAY go on to success, he may not.

I'm not saying he cant get back to form, if he comes in on a fiscally sound contract & can approach healthy...i'm ALL for it, but this guys been busted up a bit early on.

My hunch is that he moves on.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Will only local boys be willing to play for the price/lack of success the Chiefs have to offer at this point?

KCChiefsFan88
03-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Fits the profile of the type of player Dictator Carl is looking for...

Injury prone... check
Journeyman... check
cheap... check

Easy 6
03-16-2008, 09:50 PM
And what if that guy is not ready to start as a rookie? Then what?

What if Green Bays rookie guards from 06 werent ready, the ones in the Playoff Hunt 07???...look at Nick Mangold, drawing league-wide praise from word go.

I wont bat an eye going into the season w/ our returning O line vets + a bunch of Down & Dirty...Hungry...Rookies.

milkman
03-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Fits the profile of the type of player Dictator Carl is looking for...

Injury prone... check
Journeyman... check
cheap... check

One injury doesn't equal injury prone.

Journeyman? He was a mauler before he suffered his one injury.

And so far, we don't know that he's cheap.

What we do know is you are the most clueless monkey to bang on a keyboard.

Short Leash Hootie
03-16-2008, 09:57 PM
two injury riddled years = meh...won't hurt to bring him in, but it's not like he's going to be an impact offensive lineman...can't be much worse than what we have though

RedThat
03-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Hartwig is a pretty good center.

29 years old. He had 1 injury season. Other then that, he has been pretty healthy? He's a lot better then what we have now? and when he was with Tennessee and Carolina, he was a pretty solid player.

Chiefs=Good
03-16-2008, 11:57 PM
How did he play last year? I'm all for it providing he didn't decline in his play too much.

kcchiefsus
03-17-2008, 01:22 AM
What if Green Bays rookie guards from 06 werent ready, the ones in the Playoff Hunt 07???...look at Nick Mangold, drawing league-wide praise from word go.

I wont bat an eye going into the season w/ our returning O line vets + a bunch of Down & Dirty...Hungry...Rookies.

Green Bay's rookie guards in 2006 WEREN'T ready. They struggled alot early on and the only thing that kept Favre in one piece was veteran tackles Clifton and Tauscher.

There is no comparison with Nick Mangold because there are not any centers in this years draft of the caliber of Mangold. And even if there was one of his caliber, he was taken in the 1st round.

You might not bat an eye but the fact that the Chiefs are looking at a vet like Hartwig suggests they are not as confident as you. I will at least give them enough credit to believe they know what they are talking about with this visit. We need help on the offensive line.

Fruit Ninja
03-17-2008, 04:34 AM
personally I have no problems signing FA OL, because the O-line is something not to F*CK with and if it means signing vet OL do it.Yep, we need someone bad. If we think last year's Oline was bad this year could easily surpass that with 3 new starters on the line. Not sold on Rudy or Svitek either. Croyle needs to start eating steak after streak with a few burgers in between.

The Bad Guy
03-17-2008, 08:28 AM
The Chiefs have to sign some established line players. Some of you act like this dude is 35.

They have to get established guys in here to evaluate the QB.

Hartwig is a mauler and this is exactly the type of player the Chiefs need. Some of you have gone ****ing nutty with this "Youth at all costs BS".

Sure-Oz
03-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Did anyone hear anything local about this guy actually meeting with us?

pikesome
03-17-2008, 08:39 AM

Someone saw him at the airport?

philfree
03-17-2008, 08:41 AM

It's in the Star.

PhilFree:arrow:

Chiefnj2
03-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Based on his stats alone, he seems to have struggled a bit last year on his return from injury. 7 penalties (2 false starts and 5 holding) and 5 sacks given up. He's better than what KC has at the moment, but the team should seriously consider drafting a center this year. I still can't believe they passed up on Kalil last year.

The Bad Guy
03-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Based on his stats alone, he seems to have struggled a bit last year on his return from injury. 7 penalties (2 false starts and 5 holding) and 5 sacks given up. He's better than what KC has at the moment, but the team should seriously consider drafting a center this year. I still can't believe they passed up on Kalil last year.

They can still draft a center and play Hartwig at RG.

Hoover
03-17-2008, 09:41 AM
he gives us some much needed flexibility.

dj56dt58
03-17-2008, 09:42 AM
I say sign him to play center..I was impressed with Svitek at RG at the end of last season

BigChiefFan
03-17-2008, 09:42 AM
This sounds like Turley part two. Let's sign an O-lineman coming off over injury and hope he can return to form.

chop
03-17-2008, 09:45 AM
I say sign him to play center..I was impressed with Svitek at RG at the end of last season

I don't remember Svitek playing RG. I do remember him playing RT.

Micjones
03-17-2008, 09:51 AM

I was just going to say the same thing.
Niswanger played Right Guard for us though.

melbar
03-17-2008, 09:54 AM
They can still draft a center and play Hartwig at RG.

I think someone said thats why he left Carolina. They wanted him to move to G so they could start their young C.

beach tribe
03-17-2008, 10:04 AM
This sounds like Turley part two. Let's sign an O-lineman coming off over injury and hope he can return to form.

Or Willie Roaf.;)

philfree
03-17-2008, 10:05 AM

Svitek played mostly at LT but at the end of the season he played RT and IMO that position was better then it had been all year. I'm not saying it was good but it was better. Maybe if he goes to camp and focuses on RT and doesn't move around he can be a decent backup.

PhilFree:arrow:

Chief Faithful
03-17-2008, 10:10 AM
That was the Panthers.

Sounds like the Panthers had high opinions of Hartwig if they felt they had to let him go to get Kalil on the field.

I like the idea of Hartwig. He is reasonibly young for an experienced center. He will come at a good price. He is the right fit for Herm and Chainey's style of offense. And, with Hartwig, Waters and Niswanger can remain at Guard.

mikey23545
03-17-2008, 10:16 AM
The Chiefs have to sign some established line players. Some of you act like this dude is 35.

They have to get established guys in here to evaluate the QB.

Hartwig is a mauler and this is exactly the type of player the Chiefs need. Some of you have gone ****ing nutty with this "Youth at all costs BS".

Milkman will be along shortly to call you a "dickwad" for having such an opinion....

beach tribe
03-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Milkman will be along shortly to call you a "dickwad" for having such an opinion....

I think MM's problem is more on a personal level.

StcChief
03-17-2008, 10:56 AM
We need some new vet leadership. If his physical checks. and CP doesn't try and lowball the guy bring him in with incentive based contract.

dj56dt58
03-17-2008, 11:10 AM

I know..typo my bad. He played horrible over at LT but once moved to RT he looked good. If he can play like that there next season, and we sign Hartwig and draft a good LT, we just might have a decent line next season. Mac played well when healthy as well so that will give us some depth

Micjones
03-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Svitek was a bit shaky at times on the right side, but I'd have to think he's a frontrunner for the RT spot. Along with Jones.

CupidStunt
03-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Will Svitek at RT = Damon Horrid throwing INTs.

Yes, Huard - not Croyle. Brodie will be 6ft. under by then.

HemiEd
03-17-2008, 02:51 PM

Are you really this stupid? He called you a dickwad because you were being one.

aturnis
03-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Svitek was a bit shaky at times on the right side, but I'd have to think he's a frontrunner for the RT spot. Along with Jones.

Beings Jones is a converted TE...who has experience playing T, why wouldn't Herm just use him as our new blocking TE? Just a thought....

Claynus
03-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Will Svitek at RT = Damon Horrid throwing INTs.

Yes, Huard - not Croyle. Brodie will be 6ft. under by then.

Svitek played pretty well at RT last season. LT is where he struggled.

Shaid
03-17-2008, 04:50 PM

Didn't hurt with Roaf. Besides, worst case scenario he is veteran leadership for a rookie center.

BigChiefFan
03-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Didn't hurt with Roaf. Besides, worst case scenario he is veteran leadership for a rookie center.Roaf was a trade and Hartwig isn't even close to being the player Roaf ever was. I see your point, but that's stretching it a little, don't ya think?

Bowser
03-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm not reading through all this crap. Did we sign him yet?

Chiefmanwillcatch
03-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Svitek was a tight end at Stanford.

project.

doomy3
03-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Svitek was a tight end at Stanford.

project.

No he wasn't. He was a defensive lineman.

MIAdragon
03-17-2008, 07:16 PM
No he wasn't. He was a defensive lineman.
<O:p</O:p
He played both his 2nd year there.<O:p</O:p

milkman
03-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Are you really this stupid? He called you a dickwad because you were being one.

Exactly.

Rooster
03-18-2008, 09:44 AM
is this really what we need?

What I need is about 15 minutes of boobie time with the girl in your avatar. Well played MIAdragon, :eek: :evil: