PDA

View Full Version : Pretty tough night on BIG DADDY

BIG_DADDY
08-09-2001, 12:47 AM
I just flew into Medford Oregon because my mothers appendix ruptured a few days ago. They can't get her body temperature down as well as not being able to get the organs in her body to work again. Today there are heart complications. They have someone monitoring her heart rate around the clock now as it is kind of doing it's own thing at this point. This whole thing was out of left field as her health has been perfect up to now. If you guys could all say a prayer for BIG DADDY's mom he would truely appreciate it. One more thing, give all your mom's a big hug next time you see them. Thanx

keg in kc
08-09-2001, 12:49 AM
Wish her and you the best, man.

Saggysack
08-09-2001, 01:18 AM
I wish the best for both you and your family BIG_DADDY.

Gaz
08-09-2001, 06:14 AM
Best wishes, BD.

xoxo~
Gaz
Loves his Mom.

KCJohnny
08-09-2001, 06:48 AM
May the mercy and grace of our loving God lift your mother from her bed of sickness, give her strength to recover, and should things get worse, grant her a peaceful and a holy passing into the loving arms of Christ our Savior. May the Lord comfort you and your family in this time of trial and grief. Christ is very near and very present to us in our sufferings...

KCJ
BB Chaplain

shakesthecat
08-09-2001, 07:00 AM
Best wishes for you both. Hang in there.

Mark M
08-09-2001, 07:23 AM
I'll keep your family close in my thoughts. Hope everything works out.

MM
~~Mama's boy.

morphius
08-09-2001, 07:26 AM
Big_Daddy - She and your family will be in my prayers, good luck.

kcred
08-09-2001, 07:39 AM
My prayers and best wishes for her and the rest of your family BD.

mikey23545
08-09-2001, 07:39 AM
My thoughts will be with your mom and family, Big Daddy...I lost my mom a few years ago, and I can testify to one fact...You will never, ever have anyone remotely as important in your life as your mom....

Not ashamed to have been a momma's boy...

Michael

Lightning Rod
08-09-2001, 07:46 AM
done

Otter
08-09-2001, 07:52 AM
I've been absent for awhile and missed this one.

I hope all is well big daddy. I'll keep you mom in my thoughts. :)

ChiTown
08-09-2001, 07:58 AM
BD

Your mother and your family are in our prayers. Please wish here all the best from your KC Chiefs BB family.

Chi
~Never misses a chance to tell his Mom & Dad how much they mean to him

Chief Henry
08-09-2001, 08:00 AM
Big Daddy,

The power of prayer is awesome. Our family will be praying for your family. God speed to your MOM. :)

Archie F. Swin
08-09-2001, 08:12 AM
God bless you and yours. Keep your head up, we're here for you!

~John

bishop_74
08-09-2001, 08:31 AM
Best wishes. I just called my mom to tell her I love her. Give your mom a big hug from all of us here at the planet.

NaptownChief
08-09-2001, 08:51 AM
Very sorry to hear such terrible news...

On a similar note I pretty much lost my mother last night also. It is very ironic that you mention the hug your mother thing. Last night my wife and I had a surprise anniversary party for my parents and hers. Ironically they were married on the same day. But anyway, to give you a little context about my relationship with my mom...I'm the second of two children and have always been her baby..yada, yada, yada...She has always been a great mother. Always concerned about everything in my life, calls a couple times a week. Always wanting to come up and see me etc.etc.etc...

About two years ago she got drug into the Baptist church aka religious cult. Over the past two years as the brainwashing was in progress she slowly pulled away. It was very gradual and not that noticeable at first. But last night was kind of the big official cutting of the ties. First she tried to back out of coming all together. When she was there she was noticeably unhappy cause he wasn't around "her people" and even made a comment about how she "has a new life now" and it was used in the context of 'my church family is my family" type jab....When they left I walked them out to their car they both jumped in the car as quick as possible without giving my the opportunity to give her a hug....This is from a mother that has absolutely refused to let me get away without a hug for 29 years of my life...It all started making sense when she made the comment that "I haven't seen your bathroom since you restored it..." The bathroom was restored over a year ago. My parents only live an hour and 15 minutes away...My brother live over 7 hours away and they have been to his house over 5 or 6 times in the past year. But I guess that is different cause he is part of the Baptist cult....

I guess the moral of the story is don't let your parents grow up to be Baptist...

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2001, 12:29 AM
BIG DADDY's update:

Today I found out that they were going to try and stabilize her heart by shocking it. It is hard to see someone you love soooo much who has, and will, do anything for you, in that kind of pain and scared. You have to be strong for them, and I was, but tell you the truth BIG DADDY is kind of an emotional ***** when it comes down to losing the ones he loves most. The procedure went off without any complications and her heart went back to a normal rate. She immediatly started getting color back in her face and looked MUCH better. Within the last two hours we have started getting signs that the organs in her body are starting to respond and they have stabilized her body temperature. We are by no means out of the woods yet but I could not have asked for a better day. BTW, I want to thank all of those on the planet that have included us in your prayers and best wishes, you guys are awesome and words cannot begin to express our gratitude. I will keep you posted as I know more. Thanx again.

Troy Larson AKA BIG DADDY

keg in kc
08-10-2001, 12:33 AM
Glad to hear she's improving and I hope she'll continue to do so.

Everyone here's in her (and your) corner.

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2001, 12:49 AM
jl80,

I am really sorry to hear about your mom. I have a lot of feelings about organized religion myself, but I am sure that they do not compare to yours under the circumstances. I also believe that it would never be gods will for your relationship with your mom to become so distant. My mother and sister are Nazarene's which is VERY similar the Baptists in there beliefs. They are also strong in there beliefs but do not let it come between them and their relationship with me and my father. Any religion that expresses this new life and new family thing especially when encouraging a division between them and anyone who does not have the same belief system is cultish by nature and does not sound good. I can tell you from experience that all Baptists are not that way and it sounds like your mom is in a bad church. All you can do is continue to love her unconditionally and hope she finds her way out. That is a real tough situation, I wish you all the best in bringing her back around.

Otter
08-10-2001, 12:57 AM
Big_Daddy,

Glad to hear things are looking up for your mom.

I'm watching my grandparents get old and its tough. They are both in their 80s and its sad when they can't remember things and need help with simple tasks.

Anyway, I have an slight idea where your coming from.

otter
~gonna kiss his mom this weekend

BIG_DADDY
08-10-2001, 01:07 AM
Otter,

Good for you. There are no more hugs and kisses when their gone, getem while you can. :)

BIG DADDY

Feeling sentimental

ct
08-10-2001, 05:36 AM
Wishing your Mom the most miraculous of recoveries. My thoughts and prayers for her and your family Big Daddy.

ct
no shame in bein a mama's boy

gh4chiefs
08-10-2001, 06:09 AM
Troy, aka Big Daddy,

It's good to hear your mom has made some improvement. I've never had to experience the extreme illness of a parent so I can't really relate, except to know that it must be one of the toughest things you've faced. Your mother, you and all of your family remain in our prayers.

JL80,

You have an equally tough situation. I just want to say to you, I was raised a Baptist, and I can assure you that is not a doctrine of the Church. Obviously there's some weird stuff going on at that local church. I wish I knew something to tell you, but I'm at a loss. Hopefully she'll realize what is happening before it's too late. As Cody says "keep the faith" and hope for the best. I can't help but believe she'll come around eventually and you have to be there for her when she does.

God bless both of you.

KCJohnny
08-10-2001, 08:02 AM
Jl80,
Why is this all your mother's fault? Or why is it automatically the Church's doing? Let me share a little bit with you about what is probably going on, if you can grasp this.

The Baptist faith stresses conversion, radically so, as an evidence that one truly believes. The preaching can be very centered on heaven and hell, which is real, but is NOT the emphasis of orthodox Christian preaching (Christ is). When you and your mom had a more intimate relationship, the thoughts of eternal life, hell, salvation, conversion, moral truth, etc... were probably not part of your mutual daily banter. Now when she sees you, her beloved son, not just as a son but as a sinner living in the peril of unbelief, a certain awful fear lurks in her thoughts about your eternal destiny. She may also notice things about your lifestyle that are morally repugnant to the teaching of the Bible, which she now believes with her whole heart. You may see this as cultish behavior (and it sure sounds like it) but the church DOES offer a community of love, trust, understanding, affirmation, challenges to growth and service, and brings out one's gifts as God has distributed them.

I will not attempt to explain her behavior at a family gathering. I hope you will consider that she is different and I would say that she loves you MORE not less than before, but now that her eyes have been opened to spiritual reality, there is an adjustment that is being made. It is very difficult for her as she sees the little boy she raised and loves so far away from her God and His love.

I'll but out if I'm intruding,

KCJ
BB Chaplain

ChiTown
08-10-2001, 09:25 AM
BD

TWO THUMBS UP, BABY!

The power of prayer is a healing and miraculous gift. I firmly believe in it, and believe that it has helped your mom and family through this very difficult time. Great news, and keep us posted.

Chi
~Believer

BIG_DADDY
08-11-2001, 01:49 AM
Update#2

Today we thought we might get out of the woods but that was not to be the case. Moms heart rate has went off the chart again reaching a rate of well over a 140. One of the nurses monitoring said that it reached 190 at one point. My mother is 65 and I knew that was not good. Her temperature now cannot be maintained either. She is discouraged and is feeling like it is hopeless at times. I would give my life in a second to save hers for just a few more years. I have had a little to drink tonight and hope I am not sniveling but I am just was hoping that those of you that have been keeping us in your prayers continue because we can use all of the help we can get. Thanx once again to all of you that have cared and are praying for us as well as sending us your best wishes. You guys are the best.

Troy Larson AKA BIG DADDY

Rausch
08-11-2001, 03:19 AM
I'm sorry for your situation BIG DADDY....

Life sometimes doesn't make sense. Me and my parents relationship is.....well, there isn't one. And for good reason.

Yet both of them are in perfect health, and unfortunately someone like you, with a relationship like you have, has to suffer through something like this.

Sometimes these things just heal themselves. Be with her and let her know "you're there" for her...Letting her know how you feel is just as important as anything...:)

KCJohnny
08-11-2001, 07:36 AM
The Lord is very near.
His love drives out every vestige of fear.
I will continue to pray and hope this suffering brings you closer to God who loves you so dearly.
KCJ
BB Chaplain

BIG_DADDY
08-14-2001, 07:50 AM
Last Update:

They ended up having to shock her heart again the night before last and it finally stabilized. We are out of the woods with the infection and hopefully there will be no more major problems with the heart. She was released last night. I just wanted to thank all of you that have kept us in your prayers and have sent us your best wishes. Thank you once again.

BIG DADDY

Taking full advantage of his mom still being around. :)

keg in kc
08-14-2001, 07:51 AM
That's good to hear, Troy. :)

Ethelyn
08-14-2001, 07:53 AM
Big Daddy,

Please accept my heart felt prayers for your mother. I can somewhat emphathize with you. My mom had a stroke a couple of years ago, and I wanted to question God about what he did because my mother was and it a devout Christian person.

I felt bad, because my mom will be 86 in September and the health just seems to deteriorate (sp?). But with faith, courage and a lot of love which evolved between me and my mom, she's better. Getting around with a walker, but she's kinda okay.

Please cherish the time with your mother. Let her know that you appreciate all that she did for you in making you the man that you are.

Just love your mom, and may God bless you and your family.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-14-2001, 07:54 AM
Troy,

That's wonderful news! There are a lot of important things in this world, but none of them are more important than family.

Tell your mom she's in our prayers and give her a big hug from all of us.

:)

NaptownChief
08-14-2001, 08:56 AM
Big Daddy,

That is great news....

KCJ,

I understand what you are saying to a degree, but the bottom line is that if love is only conditional to the fact that you share the same thoughts and opinions then it is not love to start with...

To add a little more context to my situation, my parents moved from Bloomington Indiana this past year to a very small town about 2 hours away. So you are not only mixing in the some what radical Baptist belief but it is being mixed with the lowly educated small town ignorance. It appears to be a toxic combination...It reeks of cultish type preachings. For instance, she was telling me of a missionary that was kicked out of Cuba and said that if he comes back to preach then he will be thrown in prison. He is going back, I said that is incredibly stupid unless every person in the free world has been converted already. Why break laws preaching when there are millions of unconverted people that can be worked on without violating some country's laws? She responded that "oh no, this is the right thing to do..."Which just showed me that all logical thinking on her behalf had been completely shut off. Just believe without question anything that they tell you....

BTW, if there are any Baptist on the board I am not trying to cheap shot your beliefs. I am only speaking towards the brainwashing that my mother is involved with, which appears to be different than your normal Baptist program.

Phobia
08-14-2001, 09:00 AM
Troy,

Excellant. This news just made my day. I wish I could find similar stories on the front page of the newspaper. Best wishes on a full recovery and long, pleasant life!

JL,

My maternal grandmother is the same way. She has nothing to say to me other than how badly I need prayer and how I need to get saved. I appreciate her beliefs, but she's not mine nor anyone elses preacher - I just wanna be her grandson - not a member of her congregation. I don't return her calls any longer. My parents are members of the same kind of church, but they don't alienate me nor preach to me all the time. That's ridiculous.

KCJohnny
08-14-2001, 09:37 AM
jl80:
Please keep an open mind, it is your mother after all, the only one you'll ever have.

As for missionary activity, it has nothing to do with sound business principle, which you seem to want to apply. The people of Cuba will be more benefitted by a martyr's blood than 10 missionaries who live to 100. That is something a non believer cannot understand.

To all: One day, this will all be crystal clear, and the zeal for the salvation of souls will be shown for what it truly is. In the end, we are all accountable for the message we receive or reject, not the fitness of the messenger.

"God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

KCJ
BB Chaplain

DanT
08-14-2001, 09:53 AM
Hey Troy,

Best wishes for your mom's recovery!

Dan

NaptownChief
08-14-2001, 10:28 AM
DanT,

Are you Big DanT from the movie "Oh, Brother Where Art Thou"

I just watched that movie this weekend...That was pretty damn funny.

gh4chiefs
08-14-2001, 11:15 AM
That's good news Troy, I was worried when we hadn't heard from you in a few days. I hope the improvement continues and she has a full recovery.

DanT
08-14-2001, 11:37 AM
jl80,

Nope.

DanT

NaptownChief
08-14-2001, 11:39 AM
John Goodman plays Big Dan T....

DanT
08-14-2001, 11:47 AM
I should check that movie out. It sounds good. Goodman's a little-bit bigger than this DanT, however. (Only a little bit, though! ;) )

NaptownChief
08-14-2001, 12:49 PM
It's a spin off of the Odyssey...It is a little bazaar but pretty damn funny.