PDA

View Full Version : Help Mii (Wii info request)

Amnorix
03-17-2008, 04:26 PM
So we're strongly considering buying the Wii system for my son's birthday. He's about to turn 7, and his younger brother is 4. They've played at friend's houses and love it, and it seems a bit more energetic than sitting there playing "regular" video games.

We also see that it's actually available now, unlike Xmas-time, when you had to beat up an old lady at 6:00 a.m. to try to get it at some store...

Anyway -- tips as to what I should buy? Certain type of remote? Best games?

I left video games behind with my old Atari 2600 really, and have only played a very small number of computer games since then, none of the "joystick" variety, so I'm really, really out-of-date on stuff like this.

All suggestions welcome. No need to lecture me about limiting the amount of time they play, etc. We're going to be very firm about this. We don't intend to watch their brains melt playing this 5 hours every day...

DaFace
03-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Most of the time it only comes with one "wii-mote." You'll want at least one more, possible three if you want the whole family to be able to play at the same time. You can pick one up as part of the "Wii Play" package, which includes a few extra small games for only $10 more than just the remote.
Don't go out and buy a ton of extra nunchucks until you figure out whether you need 'em. In my experience, only a few multiplayer games use the nunchuck, so one's been plenty for us.
Your kids will probably be entertained for quite a while by the included Wii Sports games. After that, you can't go wrong with Mario Galaxy or Super Paper Mario.

Count Alex's Losses
03-17-2008, 04:33 PM
You should let them play as much as they want. Let them get it out of their system.

vailpass
03-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Yep, my 9 and 5 year old sons loved Mario Galaxy. Even my 3 year old boy plays. They are currently playing Lego Star Wars and love that one too.
Wii sports is a lot of fun; the bowling and baseball are good.

You can look in to getting chargers for your remotes. I've read that some brands of chargers can burn out the remotes but I don't know that to be fact.
We buy the 48 pack of AA batteries at Sam's Club, they last a long time.

Amnorix
03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
You should let them play as much as they want. Let them get it out of their system.

The first week or so they have it, we'll be more flexible, and we'll also be more flexible when there isn't homework, etc. I do understand the concept of getting it out of their system.

But, ultimately, it would consume them all day every day if we let them, and that ain't gonna happen.

Skip Towne
03-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Yep, my 9 and 5 year old sons loved Mario Galaxy. Even my 3 year old boy plays. They are currently playing Lego Star Wars and love that one too.
Wii sports is a lot of fun; the bowling and baseball are good.

You can look in to getting chargers for your remotes. I've read that some brands of chargers can burn out the remotes but I don't know that to be fact.
We buy the 48 pack of AA batteries at Sam's Club, they last a long time.

Sounds like you are a candidate for re-chargeable batteries.

vailpass
03-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Sounds like you are a candidate for re-chargeable batteries.

You are probably right but those damn things are too much trouble. I suppose I'm lazy but when their batteries burn out I'd rather send them out to the garage refrigerator to grab a couple of new ones and be done with it.

Thig Lyfe
03-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Get Super Smash Brothers BRAWLLLLLLLl

kcfanXIII
03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
the wii is not like any other video game system on the market. i for one would encourage my children to play every day actually. granted you don't want them "melting their brains" but the motion remotes i feel will help with cordination.

games i recommend include the mario/sonic olympic game, mario party 8 (game is amazingly addictive), and mario galaxy. as far as your children go, the wii is a nintendo product, and nintendo has always marketed towards the younger audience of gamers. any thing with mario, or sonic in the title will most likely be appropriate for you're children. finaly, don't think you will be able to resist the wii. EVERY person i've talked to (minus the xbox/playstation fanboys) has absolutely loved it. be ready for the whole family to get involved.

CoMoChief
03-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Get them a Xbox360 so they can get GTA IV

xbarretx
03-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Most of the time it only comes with one "wii-mote." You'll want at least one more, possible three if you want the whole family to be able to play at the same time. You can pick one up as part of the "Wii Play" package, which includes a few extra small games for only $10 more than just the remote.
Don't go out and buy a ton of extra nunchucks until you figure out whether you need 'em. In my experience, only a few multiplayer games use the nunchuck, so one's been plenty for us.
Your kids will probably be entertained for quite a while by the included Wii Sports games. After that, you can't go wrong with Mario Galaxy or Super Paper Mario.

pretty much the best answer but id go and get the extra nunchuck for wii sports. but like you say FACE its a personal pref. :thumb:

Chief Wiggum
03-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I agree with most of the posts on here. Definately don't need a bunch of numchucks off the bat - wait to see what games they play and where they might need them. 1-2 is probably fine. Instead of buying a bunch of batteries, I highly recomend the Nyco Wii mote charging station: http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-87000-Wii-Charge-Station/dp/B000LFJNF2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1205799678&sr=8-1

It will save on costs down the road.

Can't go wrong with either Mario game. GHIII is sweet if you want to get your kids onto great music. Zelda is a really fun one and encourages thinking and strategy - although the game is probably tilted for older kids, I started playing that series when I was around 5-7 and those games helped me develop problem-solving skills.