PDA

View Full Version : Reviewing KC's wide receiver corps

Count Alex's Wins
03-17-2008, 09:28 PM
We have a new writer! His name is Michael Ash.

http://kan.scout.com/2/738367.html

The Chiefs announced the signing of former Ravens wideout Devard Darling last week, briefly interrupting what had been a soothing, restful nap through free agency. It’s no secret that KC's depth at wide receiver is perilously thin, so the addition of a new target has re-ignited some discussion about that position and the passing game as a whole.

With that in mind, we’ll take a look at the players who will catch passes from Brodie Croyle (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980118) next season – both the receivers and the tight ends. In the process, we’ll try to determine how much work the Chiefs have left in bolstering the receiving corps.

Is the signing of one unheralded free agent enough to get by? If not, who’s out there?

WIDE RECEIVER

Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3325099)

The only serious complaint about Bowe’s rookie season is the fact he was barely utilized in the final game, robbing me of the opportunity to refer to him here as a 1,000-yard receiver.

There are areas where Bowe can improve – namely his hands, as he dropped a few too many passes throughout the year. But seriously, wouldn’t it be nice if we could already pin the 1,000 yard-badge on him?

In the entire history of the NFL, only 15 receivers have totaled 1,000 yards as rookies. Bowe finished with 995. Was Mike Solari reading want ads during the Jets game? Couldn’t he have called a couple of slant routes to his best receiver?

That unfortunate issue aside, Bowe spent the first year of his career displaying nearly everything the Chiefs hoped to see. He got open deep, made tough grabs across the middle, and made things happen after the catch. He out-jumped defenders for the ball, he ran solid routes, he threw great blocks. If not for a few drops, his rookie year would have been perfect.

Bowe will enter his sophomore season as the Chiefs’ unquestioned #1 receiver, a spot he’ll hopefully hold down for several more years to come.

Devard Darling (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3263025)

While his signing didn’t exactly force ESPN to interrupt their programming with a breaking news update, “DVD” is exactly the kind of free agent Herm Edwards said the Chiefs would target. Darling is young, appears to be ascending, and perhaps best of all, new receivers coach Eric Price is already familiar with his talents.

News of Darling’s arrival in Kansas City, however, has mostly been met with a collective yawn. That’s understandable, since his stats last season weren’t overwhelming. But if you look a little deeper into his numbers with Baltimore, they tell an interesting story. <table align="right" cellspacing="7" width="225"><tbody><tr><td>http://media.scout.com/media/image/53/530791.jpg
Darling flashed big-play ability in Baltimore
David Sherman - Getty </td></tr></tbody></table>Darling’s three touchdowns in 2007 were more than any other Ravens receiver but one. His 326 receiving yards were the third-best mark on the team, yet he ranked eighth in total receptions, showing he made the most of the opportunities he was given. He caught passes in only nine games, just over half a season of work.

If his signing had been presented along those lines – “Hey, Chiefs fans, your team just signed a free agent who finished second on his team in touchdown catches and third in receiving yards despite only playing half the year” – maybe it would have generated a little more excitement.

Darling’s actual stats may not blow anybody away, but no one confused the Ravens’ passing game with that of the Colts or Patriots. Looking at his numbers in the context of the offense he played for may paint a better picture of what the Chiefs are getting.

Depending on what other moves are made at the receiver position, Darling has as good a chance as anyone to end up at the #2 spot opposite Bowe next season.

Jeff Webb (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980184)

After starting the final two games of 2007, Webb appeared to cement his place as a third or fourth receiver. It’s not that he played poorly in those late-season games, but coaches hoping for a sign that Webb could step up into a full-time starting role came away disappointed. Aside from his first career touchdown catch late against the Jets, there was nothing much to write home about.

With the current lack of options at the receiver position, however, Webb should be right in the mix for 2008. But barring an impressive offseason, the door is wide open for someone like Darling – or even Bobby Sippio (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3325292) – to vault ahead of Webb on the depth chart.

Bobby Sippio

Nobody, including Chiefs’ coaches, knows what to expect from the former Arena League star. He didn’t catch a single pass in 2007, but got such a late start that he was never on equal footing with the other receivers. This year, with the entire team learning Chan Gailey’s new offense, Sippio will start on the same page as everyone else.

If The Legend of Bobby Sippio is anywhere close to being accurate, however, and his mythical velcro-like hands are as good as advertised, it’s hard to imagine him not challenging for the #3 spot. Even if he can’t get separation from corners, his value as a chain-moving possession receiver would make him more attractive in that role than Webb.

TIGHT END

Tony Gonzalez (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980124)

Honestly, what’s left to say at this point? The 2007 offseason saw Gonzalez suffer an attack of Bell’s palsy, make a major lifestyle change to become a vegan, and get married. <table align="right" cellspacing="7" width="225"><tbody><tr><td>http://media.scout.com/media/image/53/530792.jpg
Gonzalez broke Shannon Sharpe's touchdown record last season
Dilip Vishwanawat - Getty </td></tr></tbody></table>He still came roaring back with the same Pro Bowl-level performance everyone has come to expect. In fact, the 2007 season was statistically one of the best of Gonzo’s career. As an added bonus, he broke some of the all-time tight end records everyone knew he’d reach some day.

Do you think Gonzalez ever gets bored with his consistent level of excellence year-in and year-out? Does he ever consider playing with a patch over one eye or with an arm tied behind his back, just to make things more interesting?

Michael Allan (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3309749)

Allan didn’t catch a pass as a rookie, but don’t discount his future in Kansas City. The former seventh-round pick has bulked up this offseason and will receive every opportunity to be KC’s backup tight end.

While making an appearance on the NFL Network during the combine, Herm Edwards mentioned that Chan Gailey extensively uses two tight end sets in his offense. That means Allan should see his share of the action in 2008.

Evaluation

So where do the Chiefs go from here? A solid blocker is needed to replace Jason Dunn (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980199), but the team is otherwise set at tight end. As for wide receiver, it’s not realistic to have only four on the roster. Will the Chiefs look for another receiver or two in free agency, or will they add via the draft?

Keep in mind that Dwayne Bowe is the only proven starter of the bunch, and it shouldn’t be forgotten he only has one year of experience under his belt. Darling and Webb have only been backups to this point. Sippio is a total unknown.

Going into the season with three question marks at wide receiver is an awfully risky proposition, especially considering the quality of the Chiefs’ offense last year.

The logical assumption would be to look for proven help in free agency to give the offense a solid #2 opposite Bowe. Unfortunately, the pickings at this point are slim. Former Cardinals receiver Bryant Johnson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2990317) and former Seahawks receiver DJ Hackett were both recently removed from the market. Some may hold out hope for a blockbuster trade involving Chad Johnson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2987259), but we’ll keep speculation grounded for now.

Since notable free agent pickups don’t appear to be in the cards, maybe the Chiefs plan on using a relatively high draft pick on a receiver. There should be some talent available in the second and third rounds, but players in the draft are no more certain than the options the Chiefs already have, so we end up right back where we started.

But perhaps the Chiefs don’t plan on doing much at all. Maybe they’re resigned to the fact that, after Bowe, the position will largely be up in the air with a collection of unproven players competing for the #2 spot. They could draft a receiver in the later rounds, or quietly sign another under-the-radar free agent, but neither method would give the team a proven secondary option.

If that should prove to be the case, you have to start wondering a bit about the bigger picture. There’s nothing more important for the Chiefs in 2008 than getting an opportunity to evaluate Brodie Croyle. Shouldn’t he be given every possible tool in order to give him best chance to succeed? Shouldn’t that include a better wide receiver corps than one starter accompanied by a bunch of question marks?

And shouldn’t they give him an offensive line capable of protecting him? We’ll dive into that topic next time.

Halfcan
03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Brodie won't even be starting, and its just as well-that group does not scare anyone.

the Talking Can
03-17-2008, 09:42 PM
"Even if he can’t get separation from corners, his value as a chain-moving possession receiver would make him more attractive in that role than Webb."

wtf?

if you can't get separation from Corners then you can't do anything - you suck....and seeing as how he has proven nothing in the NFL, he has no value to speak of....

LiL stumppy
03-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Brodie won't even be starting, and its just as well-that group does not scare anyone.

Who will be starting over Brodie?

beach tribe
03-17-2008, 09:43 PM

DON'T YOU PUT THAT EVIL ON BRODIE BOBBY!!!

Count Alex's Wins
03-17-2008, 09:45 PM
if you can't get separation from Corners then you can't do anything - you suck....and seeing as how he has proven nothing in the NFL, he has no value to speak of....

Cris Carter comes to mind.

beach tribe
03-17-2008, 09:48 PM

CC? No separation? Hmmm?

the Talking Can
03-17-2008, 09:51 PM

?

Chris Carter couldn't separate?

[...slowly walking towards the exit....]

Count Alex's Wins
03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
?

Cris Carter made a career out of outmuscling DBs, not blowing past them. There are a dozen other NFL WRs who had good careers doing the same thing.

Deberg_1990
03-17-2008, 09:55 PM
?

1101 catches, 130 TD's, 13899 yards.

Yes, clearly he couldnt seperate. LMAO

Count Alex's Wins
03-17-2008, 09:57 PM
1101 catches, 130 TD's, 13899 yards.

Yes, clearly he couldnt seperate. LMAO

Look at yards per catch.

Deberg_1990
03-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Look at yards per catch.

Yes, i know hes wasnt speedy. But geez, your an idiot.

the Talking Can
03-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Cris Carter made a career out of outmuscling DBs, not blowing past them. There are a dozen other NFL WRs who had good careers doing the same thing.

first, that's just dumb

second, separation isn't just "blowing past them"....it's about route running and the ability to cut...you can separate on a 5 yard slant or out...

saying that Chris Carter couldn't separate from CBs is pitifully ignorant....embarrassingly ignorant...or, in other words, exactly what one would expect from the employees of WPI....

jesus christ, he always had a half step....he was a prick, but he was a ****ing textbook on route running and positioning....

Count Alex's Wins
03-17-2008, 10:02 PM
I yield.

KCChiefsMan
03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Bobby Sippio for #2!

eh, at least this year we won't be as disappointed with anybody, since guy's like Sippio won't get a lot of attention in Hard Knocks. But I did enjoy that and I wish they could do something like that every year! Why not??

Count Alex's Wins
03-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Bobby Sippio for #2!

eh, at least this year we won't be as disappointed with anybody, since guy's like Sippio won't get a lot of attention in Hard Knocks. But I did enjoy that and I wish they could do something like that every year! Why not??

I can't wait for training camp. HBO won't be around, but I will be. I'm going to pick some unknown scrub and anoint him the winner of the Bobby Sippio Award.

the Talking Can
03-17-2008, 10:25 PM
if Jackson or Sweed were to drop in the 2nd, we'd take them....but yeah, a fantasy...

BigRock
03-17-2008, 10:30 PM
"Even if he can’t get separation from corners, his value as a chain-moving possession receiver would make him more attractive in that role than Webb."

wtf?

What are you, some kind of Sippio newbie? He catches passes with his fingertips while being blanketed by 5 or 6 DBs. One time the entire defense tackled him before the pass got there, and he lifted his pinkie out of the pile, knocked the ball out of the air, and balanced it on the end of his finger to gain a first down.

This article is some BS with this "if the legend is true" talk.

SIPPIO IS THE TRUTH

Mecca
03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
if Jackson or Sweed were to drop in the 2nd, we'd take them....but yeah, a fantasy...

I really don't like Limas Sweed....

Deberg_1990
03-17-2008, 10:40 PM

My money is on Brohm being there when we draft in the 2nd.

the Talking Can
03-17-2008, 10:41 PM
I really don't like Limas Sweed....

i don't think he is the type of WR we need, we need a guy like Jackson..and I don't know what is up with his wrist, but he would be very tempting in the 2nd....maybe not smart, but tempting...

Mecca
03-17-2008, 10:42 PM
My problem with Sweed is that he has so many issues. He's tall and thin and doesn't remotely play at that 4.45 speed he ran, he's not quick. His wrist is still screwed up, he was always injured in college, he never dominated at the college level.

Sweed to me is a guy that has giant warning signs flashing. He's a guy that may never get on the field because he's constantly injured or just isn't very good.

cdcox
03-17-2008, 10:45 PM
1) From the information presented about Darling, the correct conclusion is:

a) Darling is a legitimate #2 receiver
b) The Ravens receiving corp is terrible

2. The annual emergence of a training camp phenom is caused by:

a) the intricate orchestrations of the media
b) the irrational homerism of the fans and the love of a great underdog story

Chiefs_5627
03-18-2008, 12:24 AM
My problem with Sweed is that he has so many issues. He's tall and thin and doesn't remotely play at that 4.45 speed he ran, he's not quick. His wrist is still screwed up, he was always injured in college, he never dominated at the college level.

Sweed to me is a guy that has giant warning signs flashing. He's a guy that may never get on the field because he's constantly injured or just isn't very good.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL yeah ok.

Yeah the guy who until the wrist started 39 consecutive games for the Horns? ROFL

Chiefs_5627
03-18-2008, 12:35 AM

P.S. Here...educate yourself before looking silly/using imagination just to have an opinion:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3054942

A couple quotes:

Sweed tied a school record last season with 12 touchdown receptions. He started 39 consecutive games and had 19 receptions with three TDs this year.

At 6-foot-5, Sweed was often a mismatch for cornerbacks and a big target for Texas quarterbacks. He averaged 33.3 yards on his touchdown catches, none bigger than his late-game catch in the end zone at Ohio State in 2005, a key victory in Texas' march to the national championship that season.

Mecca
03-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Let me guess.....all you know of him is some stats you read right?

He always had something wrong with him, sure he played alot of the time and I could careless about his TD stats.

Chiefs_5627
03-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Im a Longhorn fan and unlike you actually watched him.

Mecca
03-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Oh well there you go then.......

It must be nice to know that if there was one school that I'd look at and say boy they sure had a ton of guys not live up to potential in the NFL it would be that one...

For the record..
Weaknesses:
May not have elite timed speed..Isn't real quick or explosive and lacks a burst...He may struggle to separate from pro corners...Has lapses in concentration that lead to drops...Relies too heavily on his natural talent at times...Health may be a issue.

So it isn't just me who thinks that.

Micjones
03-18-2008, 12:46 AM
My Prediction for KC's Wide Receiving Corps?
1. Dwayne Bowe
2. Devard Darling
3. Jeff Webb
4. Bobby Sippio

Hopefully they can draft someone in Round Three come April.
Eddie Royal would be nice.

Mecca
03-18-2008, 12:47 AM
I still think Royal is bad value in round 3...

Chiefs_5627
03-18-2008, 12:49 AM
So a guy gets put on blast because you have an issue with other prospects from the school?!? Hmmmm....dumb. Maybe that Rose Bowl still sting? ROFL

Fruit Ninja
03-18-2008, 12:51 AM
ughh. i am pretty sure all players have something wrong with them, that they play through. Hell T.O is ALWAYS ****ing hurt but he plays with the pain and he's still pretty damned effective. If you can tolerate the pain, you can still play at a high level. 39 consecutive games in any football league, is pretty ****ing durable.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-18-2008, 12:54 AM
I think we screwed the pooch in not getting Bryant Johnson.

Now we HAVE to draft a guy. I wasn't opposed to drafting a WR, but just saying...

Mecca
03-18-2008, 12:54 AM
I just don't see how that guy will ever separate from an NFL corner. He's tall, thin and lanky. He's not game speed fast, he ran a 4.45 at Indy I believe, if anyone even you a Texas fan thinks he plays at that speed I'd question what you saw. He's not quick, he's not explosive....how is he going to separate?

He also is a health concern, 1 because of his wrist which has been going on for 6 months and is still a problem. 2 because of his build, when you look at him playing in the NFL there has to be a concern about the types of shots he'll take and if he'll hold up.

Count Alex's Wins
03-18-2008, 12:55 AM
I think we screwed the pooch in not getting Bryant Johnson.

He signed a one-year deal. Apparently there were a lot of teams who thought he wasn't that great as anything but a #3.

Micjones
03-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Where do you see Royal going Mecca?

It doesn't necessarily have to be him. I just like what he can give us in the return game while he gets up to speed offensively. There will be other talent there in Round Three.
Guys like Earl Bennett or Andre Caldwell.

Mecca
03-18-2008, 12:56 AM
He signed that deal because he wanted a Jerry Porter deal if he was going to sign longer....that deal is basically a ok fine you want to question my stats I'll sign my 1 year be a starter get my stats and then you'll have to pay me.

Mecca
03-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Where do you see him going?

There will be other talent there in Round Three.

I don't really think Royal is more than a slot guy in the NFL. Personally I think this is one of the worst WR classes I can remember, I'd tend to shy away from using high picks on one, when a much better player can be had.

Micjones
03-18-2008, 12:58 AM
He signed that deal because he wanted a Jerry Porter deal if he was going to sign longer....that deal is basically a ok fine you want to question my stats I'll sign my 1 year be a starter get my stats and then you'll have to pay me.

It would've been nice to have added a legitimate starter at WR.
Then WR wouldn't be a Draft priority.

Mecca
03-18-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm not overly concerned you're looking at 3 years maybe 4 before this team is any decent position to contend.

Count Alex's Wins
03-18-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm not overly concerned you're looking at 3 years maybe 4 before this team is any decent position to contend.

You always go overboard with this crap. Hell, why not five or six? :rolleyes:

Mecca
03-18-2008, 01:04 AM
You always go overboard with this crap. Hell, why not five or six? :rolleyes:

Oh so they are going to replace 40 players in 2 years with quality players huh?

Chiefs_5627
03-18-2008, 01:05 AM
I just don't see how that guy will ever separate from an NFL corner. He's tall, thin and lanky. He's not game speed fast, he ran a 4.45 at Indy I believe, if anyone even you a Texas fan thinks he plays at that speed I'd question what you saw. He's not quick, he's not explosive....how is he going to separate?

He also is a health concern, 1 because of his wrist which has been going on for 6 months and is still a problem. 2 because of his build, when you look at him playing in the NFL there has to be a concern about the types of shots he'll take and if he'll hold up.

He reminds me of a Plaxico Burress/Dwayne Bowe, he might not be a speedster but he moves well and has good speed for his size and he will flat out go over anyone. The same people that say he relies on his size have never seen Plax or some of the other big wrs play.

Bottomline, (outside of the wrist issue) he's never injured, maybe hurt but not injured. The guy can flat out play. The guy is 220 so i dont worry too much about his build.

Mecca
03-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Ok Burress has a similar build that is one you can compare him to, difference though is Burress is quite a bit faster...

I guess if you take Sweed in the first round with the idea that he is a poor mans Burress, Burress tends to get hurt alot also. That's probably a decent comparison....

Micjones
03-18-2008, 01:07 AM

It shouldn't take that long to rebuild this franchise.
If it does it constitutes failure on the part of the Chiefs braintrust.

They absolutely have to come away with a real evaluation of Brodie Croyle in 2008. You just can't do that if the guy doesn't have a few weapons to rely upon.

Mecca
03-18-2008, 01:09 AM
I want to know how this team is going to get that many quality players in 2 years then, this team is at total rock bottom they have what 15 guys who can be part of a winning team?

And that is being generous to some people we know nothing about.

Chiefs_5627
03-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Ok Burress has a similar build that is one you can compare him to, difference though is Burress is quite a bit faster...

I guess if you take Sweed in the first round with the idea that he is a poor mans Burress, Burress tends to get hurt alot also. That's probably a decent comparison....

Say what you will but i got 39 games in a row to prove me right, you got your own thoughts. :D

Count Alex's Wins
03-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Oh so they are going to replace 40 players in 2 years with quality players huh?

We don't need to replace 40 players to compete. More like 15-20, TOPS.

Mecca
03-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Hey when Limas Sweed is the #1 WR that means it's a pretty bad year for WR's......these guys are all 2's and 3's I don't see any 1's. Just a bad year for the position.

Mecca
03-18-2008, 01:12 AM
We don't need to replace 40 players to compete. More like 15-20, TOPS.

And where is this going to happen......I'm just telling you 3 or 4 is alot more realistic considering 2 would mean hitting on almost every draft pick.

And well even people who think Herm is a good drafter so far he's been average.

BigRock
03-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Let me guess.....all you know of him is some stats you read right?

Im a Longhorn fan and unlike you actually watched him.

Oh well there you go then.......

Summing up what we've learned today...

Only knowing a player by his stats: bad
Watching every game that player was in: also bad

Mecca
03-18-2008, 01:16 AM
I was being a smartass because he said he was a longhorn fan, you know like people do to me if I say something about a USC player....

I just don't like using stats when projecting a guy out to the NFL, they don't mean much.

Chiefs_5627
03-18-2008, 01:20 AM
Summing up what we've learned today...

Only knowing a player by his stats: bad
Watching every game that player was in: also bad

Dont forget to add:

39 consecutive starts (then miss part of your senior year due to wrist surgery, even after playing with said injury for 6 games) = injury prone. :)

Chiefs=Good
03-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Im willing to bet that if Hawkins is there in the forth round he will be a Chief... But maybe thats not saying much...

Chiefs_5627
03-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Im willing to bet that if Hawkins is there in the forth round he will be a Chief... But maybe thats not saying much...

He'd make for a solid slot imo. :hmmm:

Micjones
03-18-2008, 09:21 AM
I want to know how this team is going to get that many quality players in 2 years then, this team is at total rock bottom they have what 15 guys who can be part of a winning team?

If you truly believe in "the plan" you'd have to also believe that young players currently on the roster can step up and into starting roles. Players like Niswanger, Svitek, Brackenridge, Barksdale, Patterson, Tyler, McBride...

EyePod
03-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Bobby Sippio for #2!

Yeah, you're right.... I love having a feeling of hopelessness despite a decent draft, and then having that erased because of Hard Knocks. Everyone that I could see (minus a few pessimists) actually started to believe because of that show. Then reality crushed us like an anvil in a Wile E. Coyote ploy. **** that Road Runner.... **** HIM.

BigChiefFan
03-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Darling could be our number two? I'll believe it when I see it.

DaKCMan AP
03-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Where do you see Royal going Mecca?

It doesn't necessarily have to be him. I just like what he can give us in the return game while he gets up to speed offensively. There will be other talent there in Round Three.

Of course the homer in me likes Andre Caldwell. He has good hands, speed and is a polished receiver who can also take over KR duties.

Earl Bennett is a stud. He just produces, produces, produces. He's not the biggest or fastest but he runs good routes and just makes plays.

Those are both guys who I wouldn't mind taking with the understanding that they can come in and produce right away although they don't have extremely high ceilings compared to other raw prospects.

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 11:31 AM

SB winning teams have average to above average players at multiple positions. It's about playing as a team within a system.

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 11:33 AM
If you can't build a team in 3-4 seasons in the NFL in this day and age, you have failed.

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 11:47 AM
I think 2007 was year 1 BTW.

Bowser
03-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I think 2007 was year 1 BTW.

I disagree. 2007 SHOULD HAVE BEEN year 1 of the building process. Carl squashed that coming out of the gates. About two thirds of the way through the season, when it was obvious we were out of it, he yielded and let Herm play the guys he wanted to from the get go.

2007 was a wasted season.

Micjones
03-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Of course the homer in me likes Andre Caldwell. He has good hands, speed and is a polished receiver who can also take over KR duties.

Earl Bennett is a stud. He just produces, produces, produces. He's not the biggest or fastest but he runs good routes and just makes plays.

Those are both guys who I wouldn't mind taking with the understanding that they can come in and produce right away although they don't have extremely high ceilings compared to other raw prospects.

I think that's what we need. A kid who can get on the field right away and contribute on Special Teams (until they're ready to produce offensively).

Caldwell has all of the tools. He just needs a little coaching up...
Which I think Price can provide.

Bowser
03-18-2008, 12:01 PM
I disagree. 2007 SHOULD HAVE BEEN year 1 of the building process. Carl squashed that coming out of the gates. About two thirds of the way through the season, when it was obvious we were out of it, he yielded and let Herm play the guys he wanted to from the get go.

2007 was a wasted season.

And, you can argue that 2008 will be a wasted season as well, trying to implement a new offense and bring the young kids in. I say that from the perspective of I believe we are going to struggle to get 5 or 6 wins, but knowing that the Chiefs should benefit from this in '09 and '10.

Chiefnj2
03-18-2008, 12:20 PM

You don't make much sense. You say KC needs to rebuild through the draft. Herm has had two years to begin the process. On defense through the draft he's added two starting safeties, a starting DE and two first day DT's. Is it your opinion that they all suck and need to be replaced? Why would it take 5-6 years to rebuild?