PDA

View Full Version : Gretz: Money Makes High Picks Tough to Deal

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2008, 11:41 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/03/17/money_makes_high_picks_tough_to_deal/ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/03/17/money_makes_high_picks_tough_to_deal/)

Money Makes High Picks Tough to Deal

Mar 17, 2008, 5:50:30 AM by Bob Gretz (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/bob_gretz/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/19/bob_gretz_faq/)

The Chiefs like the Dolphins, Rams, Falcons and Raiders ahead of them at the top of the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft would love to trade out of those picks.
All of those teams need more help than one single player can provide. By trading down in the first round and picking up more draft choices, thereís more talent infused into the roster.
But finding another team to make a deal with these days is harder and harder because of the high-dollar contracts that go each year to the players selected with the top choices. Itís one thing to spend whatís necessary to move up in the order, whether it comes in veteran players or draft picks. Itís another thing to handle the financial load that goes with the highest choices.
ďTrades are a unique thing in the first round anymore because of the cost of the top 10 picks financially,Ē Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian said several weeks ago during the NFL Scouting Combine. ďTo take on that cost, then to give up something to do so, it is almost counterintuitive and thatís clearly not what the draft was designed to be.Ē
Hereís the trading activity in the first round over the last five drafts:
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/C2023368866D430BAB157D74BE1B176E.GIF?0.3329274493982832
As these numbers show, thereís still plenty of trading going on in the first half. Itís just that most of the deals are going down in the second half of the draft. In fact, the most popular choices in draft deals come from No. 21 through No. 27, where 18 picks have been dealt in the last five years.
The only top five choice that changed hands recently came in 2003, when the New York Jets dealt away the 13th and 22nd picks in the first round and a later choice to Chicago for the fourth pick. The Jets used that choice to select DT Dewayne Robertson out of the University of Kentucky. Itís safe to say at this point that the deal did not work out in the best interests of the Jets. Robertson is currently on the trade market; in fact a deal was in place with Cincinnati last week that fell through at the last minute.
Robertson is set to make $9.8 million in the 2008 season. This for a guy who has played in 76 games over five seasons and has produced 147 total tackles and 14.5 sacks. Heís been a good player, but certainly not a great one, that was worth a pair of first-round draft choices and a fourth-round pick.
Even trades into the top 10 picks have become unusual. Last year, the eighth and 10th choices were swapped in the deal between Houston and Atlanta that sent quarterback Matt Schaub to the Texans. In the 2005 season, the seventh pick went from the Raiders to the Vikings in the Randy Moss trade.
This landscape is very different than in the 10 years before the 2003 draft, when high draft picks were traded more frequently. Here are the numbers:
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/F4A78FF5DE1940129408C75C13508B5B.GIF?0.5772788334051853
For comparison, look at what happened a decade ago. In the first-round of the 1997 Draft, three of the top five and six of the top 10 choices were traded. Orlando Pace, Darrell Russell, Shawn Springs, Walter Jones, James Farrior and Chris Naeole were all drafted by top 10 picks that changed hands.
That was then. Now, the Dolphins, Rams, Falcons, Raiders and Chiefs will have a hard time finding another team to trade up into their spots at the top of the drafting order.
And maybe thatís not so bad, because the Chiefs record of trading down in the first round is checkered at best. The same can be said for their ability to trade up.

Mecca
03-17-2008, 11:46 PM
They shouldn't be trading their pick anyway...

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-18-2008, 01:23 AM
This article is so far beyond retarded it nears protozoan levels of intelligence.

We should have traded down from #2 in 1988 so that we didn't have to pay Neil a lot of jack. We would have been much better off with Dave Cadigan and Shawn Patterson. WHOOO, depth!!.

We also should have traded down in '89. Oh the Lombardi's we would have hoisted with the likes of Jeff Lageman and Cleveland Gary.

ChiefsCountry
03-18-2008, 01:29 AM
This article is so far beyond retarded it nears protozoan levels of intelligence.

We should have traded down from #2 in 1988 so that we didn't have to pay Neil a lot of jack. We would have been much better off with Dave Cadigan and Shawn Patterson. WHOOO, depth!!.

We also should have traded down in '89. Oh the Lombardi's we would have hoisted with the likes of Jeff Lageman and Cleveland Gary.

The funny thing is in 1988 we actually traded up to get Neil Smith I believe.

Chiefnj2
03-18-2008, 07:13 AM
This article is the first in a series to soften the blow when they reach for Otah. "Well we tried to trade back but couldn't. Teams don't want to move up..."

BigChiefFan
03-18-2008, 07:24 AM
I guess they should have thought of that, when they put their band-aid team together for the past 14 years. I knew the cheaps would start to waffle on having to pay top draft picks-it hasn't even started and they are already laying the groundwork. Pathetic.

Fat Elvis
03-18-2008, 07:27 AM
The Chiefs like the Dolphins, Rams, Falcons and Raiders ahead of them at the top of the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft would love to trade out of those picks.

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Only if you are a fuggin' idiot.

BigChiefFan
03-18-2008, 07:29 AM
I hope you new season ticket holders know what you signed up for, an absolute joke of a season.

DTLB58
03-18-2008, 07:41 AM
We need as many "studs" as we can get.

Trading down,down and further down is just silly to me.

If Hunt doesn't want to pay to play then sell the fricking team.

BigChiefFan
03-18-2008, 07:45 AM
**** 'em. It's articles like this that show the how incompetent the FO really is.

Reerun_KC
03-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Still think Carl and Clark are doing everything they can to drive people out of Arrowhead so Clark can move the team to LA... Think about it, They hired one of the worst coaches in NFL history, they are alledegy building through the draft, wont sign any young players that can help the team and so on...

Now crap like this from Carls cock holster....

How can we take another fall like last year? Its not about wins or losses, its about direction, leadership, coaching and the ability to build a solid core of players, we have none of those...

ITs almost like we are on a sinking ship with no life rafts...

BigChiefFan
03-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Still think Carl and Clark are doing everything they can to drive people out of Arrowhead so Clark can move the team to LA... Think about it, They hired one of the worst coaches in NFL history, they are alledegy building through the draft, wont sign any young players that can help the team and so on...

Now crap like this from Carls cock holster....

How can we take another fall like last year? Its not about wins or losses, its about direction, leadership, coaching and the ability to build a solid core of players, we have none of those...

ITs almost like we are on a sinking ship with no life rafts...
Why would they spend $150 million on renovations just to move to L.A.? They also have a TWENTY-FIVE YEAR lease AGREEMENT with Jackson county-they aren't going anywhere for at least 25 years. The team is just a bunch cheap skates with every excuse in the world..

Mr. Laz
03-18-2008, 09:13 AM
just paving the way for another excuse

StcChief
03-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Hoping Clark is different and wants to build a winner to go with the new look Arrowhead.

/cautiously optimistic

Hays
03-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Quickest way to break the bank is have the #1 pick. Unfortunately #1 is not a given star in the league. I think if your going to have a first round pick 6-15 is not a bad spot to be.
Teams that keep getting in the top 5 year after year are just financially killing the team, and if that player is a bust they are looking at years of being in the top 10 in the draft.

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
The agenda behind an article like this is clear, but I also think he's trying to make the same point that Polian has, and that I pray is noticed by the NFL.
Rookie contracts are out of control.
There's almost no way to trade a high pick IF you wanted to, which I don't, but If I were the Dolphins I'd be looking to drop a few spots, and they're screwed.
The money the top pick commands without ever playing a down makes it impossible.

keg in kc
03-18-2008, 10:47 AM
The agenda behind an article like this is clear, but I also think he's trying to make the same point that Polian has, and that I pray is noticed by the NFL.
Rookie contracts are out of control.
There's almost no way to trade a high pick IF you wanted to, which I don't, but If I were the Dolphins I'd be looking to drop a few spots, and they're screwed.
The money the top pick commands without ever playing a down makes it impossible.Yep. It's easy to overlook the very real problem because of the source of the article. I mean, who could possibly take Gretz seriously about anything at this point, but the contracts being handed-out to first round draft picks clearly need to be reigned-in. Personally I think it needs to head towards shorter-term (3-4 year) incentive laden deals with the "real" money coming in their second contract. But, at the same time, that would create serious issues with (teams') free agency rights. Difficult issue.

SNR
03-18-2008, 10:52 AM
This article is the first in a series to soften the blow when they reach for Otah. "Well we tried to trade back but couldn't. Teams don't want to move up..."That won't be the case if Carl wants to keep his office free of blood and bullet holes in the wall
:cuss::cuss::cuss:

Frosty
03-18-2008, 11:00 AM
I agree, in theory, with the idea that you keep the pick and get an elite player rather than picking up a couple of role players later on.

However, I also understand why teams are reluctant to have those picks. Looking back at the top ten picks in the draft over the last ten years is frightening, especially considering the huge contracts these guys get. You are much, much more likely to get a bust or "okay" player than an elite player. It is tough to put out huge money and tie it all up in a Cedric Benson.

Bowser
03-18-2008, 11:04 AM
I sincerely beleive that it's not an issue of "can't" when it comes to paying these high picks for NFL teams, but rather an issue of "want to".