PDA

View Full Version : Herm and Da King are at the BC Pro Day

Amnorix
03-18-2008, 09:47 AM
FYI, from Mike Reiss (excellent Boston Globe reporter) blog posted a little bit ago:

CHESTNUT HILL -- Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards, Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson, Panthers general manager Marty Hurney and Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman are a few of the top NFL officials in attendance today for Boston College's Pro Day.
The Chiefs, who pick fifth, have sent the largest NFL contingent, a group that also includes offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

That leads to an interesting thought to ponder: Would Kansas City, which seemingly has its quarterback of the future in Brodie Croyle, consider selecting Matt Ryan at No. 5?

In all, 23 teams are scheduled to have NFL officials in attendance.
The Patriots are represented by scouts DeJuan Daniels and Brian Flores.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

DaKCMan AP
03-18-2008, 09:58 AM
smokescreen?

Chiefnj2
03-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I read somewhere else last week that KC did not send a large contingent to Clady's pro day which the writer felt was a sign of disinterest by the franchise. The writer said KC always sends a big contingent to the workouts of its potential 1st round picks. Smokescreen? New Policy? Interested in Ryan? I dont' know.

Rooster
03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
smokescreen?

I hope so.

Pestilence
03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Isn't Gosder Cherlius from BC?

Bootlegged
03-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Is Mike Cloud working out?

Mr. Laz
03-18-2008, 10:09 AM
good ......... keep all your options open and keep all the other teams guessing.

Deberg_1990
03-18-2008, 10:18 AM
IM sure the Chiefs will be very serious about drafting Ryan if hes still on the board. I guess it depends on what they think of his workout? (Although, im not sure what that would tell you over his game film from the past couple of years??)

eazyb81
03-18-2008, 10:21 AM
smokescreen?

I think it's more about being prepared and doing your homework.

tyton75
03-18-2008, 10:23 AM
evaluate every possibility... do your freaking jobs Herm/Carl! :)

melbar
03-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Checking personality, talking shop? Didnt Aikman and Montana have a lot of college ints?

StcChief
03-18-2008, 10:28 AM
good ......... keep all your options open and keep all the other teams guessing.
ditto. They should be flying to several of the college Pro days, depending on their short lists from Combine.

ChiefHusker
03-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Gosder Cherilus is from BC. I am sure he will be watched more by the Chiefs than Matt Ryan. Herm has stated he is not impressed with many of the QB's this year, as far a Franchise QB's go. Of course that could be all smoke and mirrors...

eazyb81
03-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Checking personality, talking shop? Didnt Aikman and Montana have a lot of college ints?

Actually Aikman only had 17 INT his last two years at UCLA, 12 less than Ryan, and he finished his college career as the third-rated passer in NCAA history.

Bowser
03-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Does BC have a fullback on the roster, or a safety that could be converted to corner?

InChiefsHell
03-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Brodie, the tribe has spoken...

suds79
03-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Doesn't mean much.

I'd be p!ssed of the Chiefs didn't go. That would mean they're not doing their job.

Ryan much like 3 or 4 other guys are realistic options with the 5th pick.

They have to go check him out along with all the others as it's part of the evaluation process.

And the Gosder Cherlius comment was a good one by pestilenceaf23. He could be a real option in the 2nd to play RT.

Hog Farmer
03-18-2008, 11:28 AM
If you think about it, there is really no position worthy of the amount of money a top 5 is gonna require except for a franchise QB. Just a thought.

blueballs
03-18-2008, 11:31 AM
teams have agendas
reporters have agendas
I think I'll have a beer

Reerun_KC
03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Jesus, Lets hope they dont ruin the kid before he even gets drafted...

You know it is a bad sign when Carl and Herm show up at your schools workout..

88TG88
03-18-2008, 11:46 AM
I think it's more about being prepared and doing your homework.

Carl ?

StcChief
03-18-2008, 11:47 AM
If you think about it, there is really no position worthy of the amount of money a top 5 is gonna require except for a franchise QB. Just a thought.exactly why when he's "off the board" and drafted by ATL, we are looking at linemen. 2nd rounder is the real reason, they can't believe Ryan would fall to us.

Chiefnj2
03-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Herms notes from the workout:

"Good footwork on handoffs"

"Throws ball beyond 1st down marker. Can Dick correct this??"

blueballs
03-18-2008, 11:59 AM
They just got Carl out of the office
to plan for his retirement party next week

El Jefe
03-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Eh I am not worried about it, the Chiefs are probably more interested in Gosder Cherilus IMO.

melbar
03-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Herms notes from the workout:

"Good footwork on handoffs"

"Throws ball beyond 1st down marker. Can Dick correct this??"

:D :doh!: :banghead: :deevee:

El Jefe
03-18-2008, 12:02 PM

ROFL

stlchiefs
03-18-2008, 12:04 PM

nice, that one got me. ROFL

booger
03-18-2008, 12:19 PM
They have to scout Ryan strong if there is a chance ( seems likely ) that he drops to 5. Even if they don't want to take him which also seems to be what most think. Baltimore at 8 may want him as well and they could pick up an extra 3rd if Balt is convinced to move up. Or anyone else, like Chicago, etc.

I agree with those who say they will play close attention to Cherilus.

Dujuan Tribble is a CB that could be a mid to late rd pick.

Also Curl and Bob Bicknell have long ties to BC and the whole New England area so it wouldn't be suprising to hear of them attending as well.

KurtCobain
03-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't like anybody from BC this year, and I'd kill carl if he ****ed up our franchise with Ryan. Depending on him to be the QBOTF would set the franchise even further back. Talking a few 8-8 seasons, followed by a few 2-14s.

booger
03-18-2008, 12:45 PM
I read somewhere else last week that KC did not send a large contingent to Clady's pro day which the writer felt was a sign of disinterest by the franchise. The writer said KC always sends a big contingent to the workouts of its potential 1st round picks. Smokescreen? New Policy? Interested in Ryan? I dont' know.

i heard that too. I think the same place that said Carolina and KC could swap picks because Carloina prefers clady and KC Otah.

It will be interesting to who they send to scout Chris Williams and Sam baker as well.

Then later on who their 30 or so visits are with among the players they bring to kc a week or two before the draft. They will bring in guys all the way from elite top picks down to late rounders.

ChiefsCountry
03-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Gosder Cherilus seems likely, our OL coach's brother coached him in college.

RustShack
03-18-2008, 12:56 PM
So did Ryan wow them during his pro day?

Direckshun
03-18-2008, 12:59 PM
The presense of Gailey, Peterson, and Herm does imply directly that they are interested, at the very least, with Ryan. Gosder Cherilus, also. But you don't bring your three biggest brains to BC for a second round draft pick.

There's a remote chance they're considering Silva at SS...

melbar
03-18-2008, 02:12 PM
NFL live: Mortenson just said that Parcells isnt there to see him, but Herm Edwards has been there for 2 days and is taking particular interest in the drills and what he's doing. He's met with Ryan, and when asked where he might go Ryan mentioned the Chiefs as a team that he has has had a really good feeling about. Mortenson is saying he's been supprised by the strong level of KC's interrest and wouldnt be supprised now if they took him.

Bowser
03-18-2008, 02:14 PM
NFL live: Mortenson just said that Parcells isnt there to see him, but Herm Edwards has been there for 2 days and is taking particular interest in the drills and what he's doing. He's met with Ryan, and when asked where he might go Ryan mentioned the Chiefs as a team that he has has had a really good feeling about. Mortenson is saying he's been supprised by the strong level of KC's interrest and wouldnt be supprised now if they took him.

Now the debate starts - Is Ryan a better pick than Dorsey or Ellis?

StcChief
03-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Now the debate starts - Is Ryan a better pick than Dorsey or Ellis?not for Chiefs. ATL yes.

InChiefsHell
03-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Shit.

OnTheWarpath58
03-18-2008, 02:23 PM
So the Million Dollar Question:

Is KC actually interested, or are they giving the APPEARANCE of being interested, to drum up possible trade interest?

RustShack
03-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Whens LSU's and USC's Pro Days?

RustShack
03-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Is KC actually interested, or are they giving the APPEARANCE of being interested, to drum up possible trade interest?

Don't teams usually try to trade infront of the team that wants who they want?

Chiefnj2
03-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Don't teams usually try to trade infront of the team that wants who they want?

Yes, but it could still help. For example, KC thinks the Raiders might take J. Long. Long is available at the 4th. Baltimore wants a QB. Baltimore thinks KC is going to take Ryan if he reaches them. Baltimore could jump to Oakland's spot to take Ryan, and KC gains the benefit of having Long fall to them.

DTLB58
03-18-2008, 02:32 PM

I call Smoke screen, Trying to make others think we don't want Jake Long.

DTLB58
03-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Yes, but it could still help. For example, KC thinks the Raiders might take J. Long. Long is available at the 4th. Baltimore wants a QB. Baltimore thinks KC is going to take Ryan if he reaches them. Baltimore could jump to Oakland's spot to take Ryan, and KC gains the benefit of having Long fall to them.

Exactly :clap:

El Jefe
03-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Now the debate starts - Is Ryan a better pick than Dorsey or Ellis?

Not even close IMO, not for the Chiefs. I dont want that to happen.

raybec 4
03-18-2008, 02:58 PM

God I hope that's it!

SBK
03-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Well if they feel that Ryan is a true franchise QB you take him. There's no more important position on a football team.

However, I would rather see us take Dorsey or Ellis.

eazyb81
03-18-2008, 03:05 PM

I think this could be what's happening.....

that said, Matt Ryan is an elite prospect and some well-respected experts think he is a true franchise QB. Mike Mayock has him as his #1 overall prospect.

This league is a QB league more than ever before, and let's be honest - Brodie Croyle is not and has never been considered an elite QB.

eazyb81
03-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Well if they feel that Ryan is a true franchise QB you take him. There's no more important position on a football team.

Exactly. If these guys are willing to put their reputations and jobs on the line for Ryan after doing their homework on him, then make it happen. To win big in this league you need an elite QB.

Hays
03-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Kind of worried that since both Carl, and Herm are there that they are taking this serious. I am not saying Ryan would be a bad qb, just not sure how he would fit with what the chiefs are looking to do.

I don't think Ryan will slip past Atlanta however but you never know. Still think Miami may take a shot at him.

Count Zarth
03-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Dick Curl and Chan Gailey were there, too. They were definitely sniffing Ryan's privates.

melbar
03-18-2008, 03:20 PM
We wont get close to having a shot at J. Long. I think they really are interrested. Its always a crap shoot taking a QB in the 1st, but when is the last time the Chiefs even had a chance for a top QB in any draft?

eazyb81
03-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Herm's comments on Ryan's Pro Day:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/herm_on_matt_ry.html

"He pressed some throws, but the thing this guy has is his ability to win. That's the thing you like about quarterbacks -- some guys win, some guys don't. You can look at all the stats, arm strength, you can look at all the different things, but at the end, can he win games? This guy has done that."

RustShack
03-18-2008, 03:29 PM
I think if Miami and St. Louis pass on Long then Atl will take him...... then the question would be Doresy/Ellis(one would likely be gone) or Ryan... then again the Falcons could take one of the great D players just as easly too...

TEX
03-18-2008, 04:00 PM
smokescreen?

IMO - yes.

Hydrae
03-18-2008, 04:33 PM

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/herm_on_matt_ry.html

"He pressed some throws, but the thing this guy has is his ability to win. That's the thing you like about quarterbacks -- some guys win, some guys don't. You can look at all the stats, arm strength, you can look at all the different things, but at the end, can he win games? This guy has done that."

OMG, bring Flutie back out of retirement!

Reerun_KC
03-18-2008, 05:46 PM
OMG, bring Flutie back out of retirement!
I think you just caused Carl to ejaculate all over Herm with that post....

Brock
03-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Most likely means he won't be the pick.

keg in kc
03-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Most likely means he won't be the pick.It would be a perfectly Chiefs thing to do. I mean, they have the best line in the league for years and never try to develop anybody, so now that we've gone from an o-line to an olé-line, it's time to stockpile young QBs.

Hays
03-18-2008, 06:09 PM

Well this goes with the other talks of Brohm getting serious looks and interviews from the chiefs. Almost makes you think the chiefs will take a qb in either the 1st or 2nd round

Deberg_1990
03-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Almost makes you think the chiefs will take a qb in either the 1st or 2nd round

Ive said for awhile, the will take one in the middle rounds (2-3) if Ryan is gone or they pass on him. The Chiefs really dont have much invested in Croyle anyways in case he flops.

Coach
03-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Great. Let's get the skill players and ignore the line players.

:shake:

Brock
03-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah, because we only have one draft pick this year.

Deberg_1990
03-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Great. Let's get the skill players and ignore the line players.

:shake:

Have you not read anything alot of us on here have said these past two months??

Rome wasnt built in a day. You cant expect to get everything you need in one draft.

This is a 3-4 year rebuilding project.

Coach
03-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Have you not read anything alot of us on here have said these past two months??

Rome wasnt built in a day. You cant expect to get everything you need in one draft.

This is a 3-4 year rebuilding project.

Yes, I'm aware that this is a 3-4 year rebuilding project. However, to rebuild, one must have a foundation.

For example, you can't put up the frames and the roof over a house without a foundation.

The foundation of every team is offensive and defensive lines.

Brock
03-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Great, let's just draft 10 offensive linemen.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Is is sad that I don't care what the Chiefs do anymore? lol

Rausch
03-18-2008, 06:58 PM
While you won't convince me taking him with the 5 is the best idea I also won't cry about being able to go into camp with Ryan and Croyle fighting it out in TC/Preseason.

It would be the biggest reason to be hopeful at the position since Montana was here. I can think of worse problems than having a QB situation like the Browns...

Reerun_KC
03-18-2008, 07:09 PM
While you won't convince me taking him with the 5 is the best idea I also won't cry about being able to go into camp with Ryan and Croyle fighting it out in TC/Preseason.

It would be the biggest reason to be hopeful at the position since Montana was here. I can think of worse problems than having a QB situation like the Browns...

It would be a battle of who could stay up right the longest...

Herms history is not know for strong OL play...

StcChief
03-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Ol DL

Give Croyle a chance . Ryan will be gone.

Rausch
03-18-2008, 07:15 PM
It would be a battle of who could stay up right the longest...

Herms history is not know for strong OL play...

But Carl has long been a fan of the offensive line. Right now seems to be the exception to the rule.

The only thing I regret is that if we planned to let go of these older players why we didn't bench more youth out there in preparation for this year. We definitely could use experience at G and C right now...

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 07:55 PM
All these "experts" have me questioning my overwhelmingly negative thoughts of MR.
He's looking better to me, but I still think he does things that he won't get away with in the NFL. (holding on to the ball, throwing across his body, forcing throws).
If they pick him, they pick him. He'll wear red, and I'll be on his wagon, but I'm praying that doesn't happen.

eazyb81
03-18-2008, 08:14 PM
All these "experts" have me questioning my overwhelmingly negative thoughts of MR.
He's looking better to me, but I still think he does things that he won't get away with in the NFL. (holding on to the ball, throwing across his body, forcing throws).

Can't he improve on his weaknesses? I doubt there are any QB prospects that enter the draft with perfect mechanics and decision-making abilities. Hell, Dan Marino threw 69 INT in college and Joe Montana had just as many TD passes as INT.

melbar
03-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Ryan has been expected to cary his team. Not much help for him. Probably caused him to push a bit.

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 08:36 PM
I definately have been swayed toward believing that he will be solid. However, that does not make him my pick if the others are there.

booger
03-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Herm&firecrotch

Mecca
03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
The thing about Ryan I think people don't take into account is the awful supporting cast he played with.

He forced throws because his receivers never get any separation. If there was ever a QB you wanted to see make tight throws and not constantly throw to wide open guys it's him. His entire season was threading the needle to guys who really couldn't get open.

KCChiefsMan
03-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Does BC have a fullback on the roster, or a safety that could be converted to corner?

nah, more than likely it's their backup tight end or long snapper!!

KCChiefsMan
03-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Herm&firecrotch

Matt Ryan has that "I want to be drafted high, but please God...please don't let me get drafted by this idiot!"

Manila-Chief
03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Kind of worried that since both Carl, and Herm are there that they are taking this serious. I am not saying Ryan would be a bad qb, just not sure how he would fit with what the chiefs are looking to do.

I don't think Ryan will slip past Atlanta however but you never know. Still think Miami may take a shot at him.

Here's my problem with drafting him ... If he really is a can't miss QB then we ought to jump on him ... but, if he has the talent and is a true QBOTF then surely Mia or Atl will snatch him ... coz they are in a similar situation as we are re QB. If they pass then they have questions about him and I think we ought not to spend a #5 on a question mark. It would be better if we selected one of the DL guys or Jake Long (if one of them are there) or if those guys are gone then a possible trade down.

I'm a Croyle homer (normally I'm a realistic). I hope he does well. BUT, if Ryan is a true QBOTF we can't afford to pass on him. It just raises questions if he gets by Mia and Atl????

Someone questioned Herm/Carl drafting a QB since they are on a short lease? Look on the bright side ... they will be drafting a QB for our next coach who hopefully will allow the offense to play like a real NFL team.

Thig Lyfe
03-18-2008, 09:55 PM
If Jake Long is somehow on the board, and Carl takes Matt Ryan, I'll die.

KCChiefsMan
03-18-2008, 10:05 PM
If both Long's and Dorsey and Ellis are off the board, I wouldn't have a big problem with drafting him. Gholston is attractive, but do we want to draft him as a DE? How would that work?

Brock
03-18-2008, 10:06 PM
The thing about Ryan I think people don't take into account is the awful supporting cast he played with.

He forced throws because his receivers never get any separation. If there was ever a QB you wanted to see make tight throws and not constantly throw to wide open guys it's him. His entire season was threading the needle to guys who really couldn't get open.

Sheeyit. You couldn't find 3 guys here who have seen Ryan play more than a game at most.

Wilson8
03-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Dick Curl and Chan Gailey were there, too. They were definitely sniffing Ryan's privates.

Though expected to attend, Reiss tells us that ”Dick Curl was a late scratch.”

Excellent choice of words!

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Mecca
03-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Sheeyit. You couldn't find 3 guys here who have seen Ryan play more than a game at most.

Well hey most people here think Croyle is the guy for really no given reason.

alanm
03-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Cody, If you didn't care you wouldn't be posting.

mikey23545
03-18-2008, 10:27 PM

I'd say it says quite a bit about you.

Ari Chi3fs
03-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Herm&firecrotch

I thought that was him on the ESPN highlights... gay ass Jets colored hat.

Wilson8
03-18-2008, 10:38 PM
BOSTON (AP) - The NFL got its chance to see Matt Ryan throw on Tuesday, and the Boston College quarterback didn't do anything that would keep him from being picked early in the draft.
Perhaps even first overall.
Ryan worked out at BC's biggest Pro Day ever, throwing to former teammates for a mini-combine of 42 scouts and other personnel evaluators from 22 NFL teams. He completed 48 of 52 passes - three drops, one overthrown - from three-, five- and seven step drops, from the pocket and on the run, throwing to both sides of the field.
"I made every throw you need to make in the NFL," said Ryan, who skipped the Senior Bowl and ran but didn't throw at last month's NFL combine in Indianapolis. "I thought it went well. It was the first opportunity I've had to throw in front of the scouts live."
Pro Day is a traditional part of the calendar at football factories like Michigan and Southern California, but BC's had never attracted much media coverage before it joined the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2005. After welcoming the press for the first time last year - about 20 reporters showed up in all - the school issued 72 credentials for Tuesday's workout, along with an unprecedented number of NFL scouts.
Kansas City coach Herm Edwards and general manager Carl Peterson were among those who watched more than three dozen players work out, including another potential first-rounder, Eagles offensive lineman Gosder Cherilus.
"They've got a few here, obviously, that are good football players," Edwards told reporters. "They're more comfortable in this environment than they are in the combine. You're gathering information, and this is another check of the information. But, at the end, you've got to go to the tape."
Former BC running back William Green, a former first-round pick who played four years with the Cleveland Browns but was out of the league last year, hoped the tryout would jumpstart his comeback. BC linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar and safety Jamie Silva also joined players from area schools including UMass, Harvard, Bentley, Northeastern, Holy Cross and St. Francis.
But the primary attraction was Ryan.
The BC quarterback was the ACC player of the year and the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award winner in 2007, finishing seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting after throwing for 4,507 yards and 56 touchdowns. He also led the Eagles to comeback victories against Clemson and Virginia Tech - 11 victories in all, including the school's eighth consecutive bowl win.
"He's going to play in our league, there's no doubt about that. He has all the traits you need to play in our league," Edwards said. "The thing this guy has is his ability to win. And that's what you like in quarterback. Some guys can do a lot of things. But, in the end, can he win?
"He's very levelheaded. The players believe that if he has the ball in his hands at the end of the game, that you have a chance to win the game. He has that demeanor about himself. He's fiery, but he keeps himself under control."
Ryan did not do any running, opting instead to let his times stand from last month's NFL combine in Indianapolis. Edwards, who chatted with Ryan on the field before the workout, said part of the advantage of such tryouts is to see how the players react to the microscope.
"That's the beauty contest," Edwards said. "In the end, this is a physical game."
Edwards said it looked like Ryan was trying too hard early on, knowing that most of the scouts and reporters were there to see him.
"That's what generally happens," Edwards said. "It puts a lot of pressure on the kids, and that's good, because the game they're going to play has pressure."
Ryan said he was just rusty, having been off the field since BC's Dec. 28 victory in the Champs Sports Bowl. He's been working out in Arizona with, among others, Brady Quinn, the Notre Dame quarterback who dropped from a projected high first-rounder to the 22nd pick overall by Cleveland.
Ryan said he hadn't made any plans for draft day, though he expects to spend it with his family. He said he hadn't bothered to handicap his chances of going to a specific team because it can only lead to disappointment.
"At this point, I don't want to get my hopes up. I don't want to fall in love with one place and then go to another and say, 'This stinks,"' he said. "I'm just doing everything I can to get drafted as high as I can ... and to have a chance to be a starting quarterback in the NFL next year."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7927656/Ryan-shows-off-arm-for-pro-scouts?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Tribal Warfare
03-18-2008, 11:03 PM
The guy is a system's QB, it doesn't mean he'll suck . It means I'm saying he's not a John Elway type that can take a team on his back and make it to the SB. Kind of like Jake Long, I question is ability to win a game based on his talents alone like John Elway.

Mecca
03-18-2008, 11:08 PM
The guy is a system's QB, it doesn't mean he'll suck . It means I'm saying he's not a John Elway type that can take a team on his back and make it to the SB. Kind of like Jake Long, I question is ability to win a game based on his talents alone like John Elway.

That is pretty much what you're gonna get now for the most part.......all of the college teams running the spread option offense really hurts the development of QB's coming into the pro game.

ChiefsCountry
03-19-2008, 12:23 AM
If you look at the senior year college stats - Ryan and Croyle are fairly equal. Ryan had 11 wins, Croyle 10. BC did play 2 more games. Both won their bowl games. Bama started 9-0, BC started 8-0. Brodie completed 59.6% of his passes, Ryan 59.3%. Croyle had 132.8 rating, Ryan had a 127.0. Brodie averaged 7.37 yards per throw, Ryan 6.89. Ryan did have way more attempts passing 654 compared to Brodie's 339. Ryan was sacked 21 times and Croyle 36. Just something to ponder.

Mecca
03-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Stats don't tell the whole story though.......

Croyle has a better arm than Ryan does, that is the only thing he beats Ryan at physically though. Ryan has a better build, he's taller, he has the NFL body that makes you think he can take a hit and get up.

Mecca
03-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Herm&firecrotch

So when did Herm become...Baggar Vance?

milkman
03-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Stats don't tell the whole story though.......

Croyle has a better arm than Ryan does, that is the only thing he beats Ryan at physically though. Ryan has a better build, he's taller, he has the NFL body that makes you think he can take a hit and get up.

I question Croyle's ability to take the pouding also, but the fact is, he took a lot of punishment in his senior, taking 15 more sacks than Ryan.

He does need to add some weight, but he is also tougher than some give him credit for.

That said, I'm not ready to throw all my eggs in to Brodie's basket.

Amnorix
03-19-2008, 07:39 AM
If you look at the senior year college stats - Ryan and Croyle are fairly equal. Ryan had 11 wins, Croyle 10. BC did play 2 more games. Both won their bowl games. Bama started 9-0, BC started 8-0. Brodie completed 59.6% of his passes, Ryan 59.3%. Croyle had 132.8 rating, Ryan had a 127.0. Brodie averaged 7.37 yards per throw, Ryan 6.89. Ryan did have way more attempts passing 654 compared to Brodie's 339. Ryan was sacked 21 times and Croyle 36. Just something to ponder.

How were Croyle's WRs? Let's just say that Ryan didn't exactly have an elite group of WRs that were always getting open for Ryan to throw to.

I dont' follow college ball much, so maybe Croyle also had that issue.

I think Ryan will be a very, very good pro QB. Not necessarily top-pick worthy, but very good.

Amnorix
03-19-2008, 07:40 AM

Well, I'm one... :D

I don't follow college ball much, but I did see a few BC games every year for the last few.

Amnorix
03-19-2008, 07:44 AM

I'm so tired of this phrase. Any QB who doesn't have RIDICULOUS scrambling ability is a "system QB", and frankly, QBs with ridiculous scrambling ability have NOT fared well in the NFL.

Free-lancing only gets you so far in the NFL.

I agree, he's probably not John Elway. But John Elway (much as I despise HorseFace) is one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL history.

So if Ryan turns out to be the 10th best all-time, you should still pass on him? :spock:

I usually agree with your insights, but I really don't see it here. From all that I hear, Tom Brady is a "system QB" too. Would you pass on him too?

eazyb81
03-19-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm so tired of this phrase. Any QB who doesn't have RIDICULOUS scrambling ability is a "system QB", and frankly, QBs with ridiculous scrambling ability have NOT fared well in the NFL.

Free-lancing only gets you so far in the NFL.

I agree, he's probably not John Elway. But John Elway (much as I despise HorseFace) is one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL history.

So if Ryan turns out to be the 10th best all-time, you should still pass on him? :spock:

I usually agree with your insights, but I really don't see it here. From all that I hear, Tom Brady is a "system QB" too. Would you pass on him too?

Totally agree. It's ridiculous to argue that we should pass on Ryan or any QB because he might not be John f'n Elway, a 1st ballot HOF, one of the best QBs of all-time, and arguably the most talented QB prospect to ever enter the draft.

Also, I disagree that Ryan is a system QB - if anything he's the complete opposite. He played in a pro-style offense his senior year, hardly a wide-open spread attack that most associate with system guys (Colt Brennan, Tedford QBs, etc).

Amnorix
03-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Totally agree. It's ridiculous to argue that we should pass on Ryan or any QB because he might not be John f'n Elway, a 1st ballot HOF, one of the best QBs of all-time, and arguably the most talented QB prospect to ever enter the draft.

Also, I disagree that Ryan is a system QB - if anything he's the complete opposite. He played in a pro-style offense his senior year, hardly a wide-open spread attack that most associate with system guys (Colt Brennan, Tedford QBs, etc).

I've posted a separate thread about this whole "system QB" nonsense, because it really doesn't make any sense to me. I don't understand it at all.

BigChiefFan
03-19-2008, 08:12 AM
I just don't see it with Matt Ryan. I wouldn't pick him in the top 10.

Fish
03-19-2008, 08:25 AM
How were Croyle's WRs? Let's just say that Ryan didn't exactly have an elite group of WRs that were always getting open for Ryan to throw to.

I dont' follow college ball much, so maybe Croyle also had that issue.

I think Ryan will be a very, very good pro QB. Not necessarily top-pick worthy, but very good.

I watched a lot of Bama football through Croyle's time there. He didn't have any great WRs either. They spread the ball around a lot. So much so that throughout Brodie's time at Bama, he didn't have a single WR who had over 700 yds in a season. And his offensive line was downright offensive. Really bad. The guy played under pressure all the time.

boogblaster
03-19-2008, 08:53 AM
We don't need another developing QB ... we need Olinemen and CBs ... a PK would help also ......

Brock
03-19-2008, 09:04 AM
We don't need another developing QB ... we need Olinemen and CBs ... a PK would help also ......

We probably do need a developing QB, and one that can take a pounding.

keg in kc
03-19-2008, 09:08 AM
We probably do need a developing QB, and one that can take a pounding.Maybe we should change tack, and start turning LBs into QBs rather than FBs.