PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle question

damaticous
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle for about a year now and with the gas prices raising more and more I'm seriously considering it.

I really don't want a Harley as they seem too cliche for me, and I'd like to stick to something in the mid-sized range as it's been a long time since I've driven a motorcycle.

I have (had *edit) a honda motorcycle (1975 350) and a three wheeler (when I was a kid 1982 70cc) and I liked the quality of em.

I've been thinking about getting a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 C2. Mainly the C2 for teh shaft drive.

I rarely see any 650-750's for sale on ebay or craiglist so that leads me to believe that people just really like them and hold on to them or they don't buy them.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time deciding if I want a new one or a good used one. I will have to get a loan so if I get a used one it can't be too old or I won't be able to get a loan for it. I'm thinking that if I got a used one it would be a 2005+.

It will mostly be ridden to commute back and forward to work (1 mile one way), but the occasional "road trip" within 300 miles of home on the weekends.

What would you recommend? A new one with warranty and such or a used one (cheaper)?

THanks in advanced

Hog Farmer
03-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Motorcycles guzzle way too much gas! Get a bicycle.

Skip Towne
03-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I mounted a 3 hp Briggs and Stratton on my bicycle. It gets 30 mles to the teaspoon.

blueballs
03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
one with an attachable sidecar
with gas prices rising
motorcycle pooling could be important

Radar Chief
03-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Used. Bikes, particularly Japanese bikes, depreciate fast.
You donít see too many Shadow 600-750 because I donít think theyíve sold very many. Beyond a few nOObs, there isnít much of a market here for small cruisers.
If youíre not dead set on a cruiser, have a look at something like a Suzuki SV650. Good, plain ole standard bike.

bogey
03-18-2008, 01:09 PM
I have a 2000 Yamaha VStar classic 650. It's a great bike. Get one. End of thread.

damaticous
03-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Used. Bikes, particularly Japanese bikes, depreciate fast.
You donít see too many Shadow 600-750 because I donít think theyíve sold very many. Beyond a few nOObs, there isnít much of a market here for small cruisers.
If youíre not dead set on a cruiser, have a look at something like a Suzuki SV650. Good, plain ole standard bike.

I'd prefer to stay with the cruiser, but I will take a look at the sv650. Interesting looking bike.

ChiefHusker
03-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Used to have a Honda Shadow Aero 750, had to sell because we had our first child a month ago. The bike was awesome, not to mention there were plenty of extra's for it. I would suggest anyone to buy something similar. When I do buy another it will probably be a 1100cc.

El Jefe
03-18-2008, 01:46 PM
The way people drive around here I wouldnt want to drive a motorcycle. It literally would me a murdercycle around here.

damaticous
03-18-2008, 01:59 PM
The way people drive around here I wouldnt want to drive a motorcycle. It literally would me a murdercycle around here.

I live in Chillicothe, MO (town of about 8-10K) so I'm not in the city. There's only 1 stop light between me and my office. :D

damaticous
03-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Used to have a Honda Shadow Aero 750, had to sell because we had our first child a month ago. The bike was awesome, not to mention there were plenty of extra's for it. I would suggest anyone to buy something similar. When I do buy another it will probably be a 1100cc.

What year was it?

Would you recommend getting a new or used one?

kcfanXIII
03-18-2008, 02:04 PM
i got a nighthawk 250 and i get around 60 mpg. check into the nighthawks, they ome in larger sizes, and are a really nice riding bike. i chose the smaller one, because its my first bike ever, and didn't want to kill myself while learning to ride. best toy i've ever bought, and as it turns out, a wise investment. with gas prices expected to reach 4.00 a gallon, i'll be paying 12 dollars to ride 180 miles. compared to my car that costs about 50.00 to fill up right now.

phillip
03-18-2008, 02:16 PM
I say used. I got a new one (Honda VTR1000) and I'd go used if I did again. I even got the extended warranty. The newer Honda motorcycles just don't seem to break down. I'd bet the same is true for most makes.

COchief
03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
My personal preference would be a "naked bike" to avoid being grouped in with the Harley doofus or crotch rocket clown crowds. IMO they are the best looking bikes out there and you don't have to be lumped in with either of the above group. Honda makes a 599, or the above mentioned Suzuki SV650, Ducatti also makes some very nice looking bikes in their "monster" models.

damaticous
03-18-2008, 02:36 PM
My personal preference would be a "naked bike" to avoid being grouped in with the Harley doofus or crotch rocket clown crowds. IMO they are the best looking bikes out there and you don't have to be lumped in with either of the above group. Honda makes a 599, or the above mentioned Suzuki SV650, Ducatti also makes some very nice looking bikes in their "monster" models.

I'll be honest and say that I haven't really looked into any other bikes. From the looks of this form I should be more open minded about other bikes.

I would really like a BMW but I know they would be too expensive and overkill for what I will need the bike for.

COchief
03-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Honda 599:

Good looking machine IMO

Old Dog
03-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I have a 2000 Yamaha VStar classic 650. It's a great bike. Get one. End of thread.

I have a 2002 Yamaha Silverado 650.....45mpg, no problems at 80-85mph. Recommend you look at one of these.

not mine, but picture of one is below:
http://westernpowersports.com/usedbikes/usedbikes/05_yamaha_vstar650_silverado.jpg

Frosty
03-18-2008, 06:32 PM
So, you want to buy a motorcycle just to commute 1 mile? :hmmm:

You know - if you want one, just get one. :shrug:

Dayze
03-18-2008, 08:08 PM

I picked up my 2003 V-star custom for $3k with 47 miles on it; bought it in 2006. Cheap to insure; cheap to purchase; great MPG; plenty of 'power' for what I need.

A little rev-happy on 75mph +; needs taller 5th or a 6th gear altogether.
around town; perfect. Used to commute 7 miles each way in a 35 mph zone...had to fill up like twice a month.

looks good; plenty of add ons you can get....

starts everytime; doesn't leak oil; I would recommend one with the highest of confidence.

damaticous
03-18-2008, 08:26 PM
So, you want to buy a motorcycle just to commute 1 mile? :hmmm:

You know - if you want one, just get one. :shrug:

I plan on getting one. I'm curious if it'd be worth it to get a new one or a used one.