PDA

View Full Version : Raiders still after Hall, but way over cap...

melbar
03-18-2008, 01:37 PM
As per NFL live last night, Raiders are 19 Million over the cap but Al still wants the deal done. 6 years 50 million. How the h-ll does that happen?

Mr. Laz
03-18-2008, 01:49 PM
you can almost always make room if the owner wants to spend the money.

ChiefsCountry
03-18-2008, 01:51 PM
And they will still finish below the Chiefs this season.

Thig Lyfe
03-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Stoopid.

Don't we have cap space? And yet we're not the ones going after him.

Stoopid.

Count Alex's Wins
03-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Stoopid.

Don't we have cap space? And yet we're not the ones going after him.

Stoopid.

Throwing a bunch of money at a malcontent cornerback would be about the stupidest thing we could do at this juncture.

eazyb81
03-18-2008, 01:55 PM
And they will still finish below the Chiefs this season.

Are you serious? No way we finish ahead of them. We are going to be just as awful next year as we were this year - maybe worse.

Bowser
03-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Throwing a bunch of money at a malcontent cornerback would be about the stupidest thing we could do at this juncture.

I agree with this, but I think SportsRacer is venting his frustration about how we have seemingly pursued noone (or at least not been aggressive enpugh in pursuing them) while having so much cap space.

Thig Lyfe

Except that he's 20837108273 times more talented than any corner that's been on the Chiefs' roster this millennium.

Count Alex's Wins
I agree with this, but I think SportsRacer is venting his frustration about how we have seemingly pursued noone (or at least not been aggressive enpugh in pursuing them) while having so much cap space.

Most of the cap is going to Jared Allen and the stud we draft at No. 5.

I'm hoping it turns out that way, anyhoo.

Thig Lyfe
03-18-2008, 01:57 PM

That too.

Not even showing interest in Hall makes it seem like Carl doesn't even care.

Count Alex's Wins
03-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Except that he's 20837108273 times more talented than any corner that's been on the Chiefs' roster this millennium.

It would still be stupid. He's too expensive for a team in the situation the Chiefs find themselves in at the moment.

Count Alex's Wins
03-18-2008, 01:58 PM
That too.

Not even showing interest in Hall makes it seem like Carl doesn't even care.

Actually the Chiefs did have an interest and have had one since last offseason. They just aren't hell-bent on getting him like the Raiders are. Now ask me which organization is better-run.

Hays
03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
All the Raiders have to do is cut Lamont Jordan, cut a few other overpaid vets that they want to get rid of anyhow and that 19 mil will be single digits. They will pay the luxury tax or whatever the consequences are.

However If they sign Hall i think that makes it almost impossible for them to sign Asomugha.

OnTheWarpath58
03-18-2008, 02:09 PM
It would still be stupid. He's too expensive for a team in the situation the Chiefs find themselves in at the moment.

Absolutely.

Let's trade a 2nd round pick for a guy that's gonna command a HUGE contract, which would likely be expiring around the time this team is in a position to seriously contend.

No thanks.

FD
03-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Those idiots.

melbar
03-18-2008, 02:15 PM
The biggest problem I see here is that the Falcons will definately be picking a solid CB ahead of us in the 2nd.

Hog Farmer
03-18-2008, 02:19 PM
It's moves like this that keep you from building a winning team. Well that and the way we've done it.

ChiefsCountry
03-18-2008, 02:31 PM
The biggest problem I see here is that the Falcons will definately be picking a solid CB ahead of us in the 2nd.

Thats fine that means a better OT will drop to us after we got Dorsey or Ellis in the first.

Rooster
03-18-2008, 02:32 PM
It's moves like this that keep you from building a winning team. Well that and the way we've done it.

ROFL:doh!::mad:

kcchiefsus
03-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Most of the cap is going to Jared Allen and the stud we draft at No. 5.

I'm hoping it turns out that way, anyhoo.

Most of the cap? We have over $30 million in cap room. And with the adjusted cap reported on PFT of around $128 million for us I believe that gives us over $40 million in cap room. We have enough money to sign Jared, the #5 pick, and just about anybody else we want.

melbar
03-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Most of the cap? We have over $30 million in cap room. And with the adjusted cap reported on PFT of around $128 million for us I believe that gives us over $40 million in cap room. We have enough money to sign Jared, the #5 pick, and just about anybody else we want.

Apparently, we dont want anybody with experience...

Count Alex's Wins
03-18-2008, 02:44 PM
We have over $30 million in cap room.

We have 28 million according to the last source I checked with. I don't expect the Chiefs to spend up to the limit by any means.

OnTheWarpath58
03-18-2008, 02:44 PM

We have the CAP room to do just about whatever we want.

But Clark isn't going to spend the CASH required to sign an expensive FA when he's dropped around $35-40M on Gonzalez and LJ and another $50M or so on Allen and the R1 draft pick.

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I have to admit, I like the direction we are going. Not to fond of the Capt., but he'll get a chance to prove me wrong.

If we draft a solid core of players in the next couple years, we will also have the cash to buy ANYONE we need to put us over the top.
We don't need those guys yet, but when the time comes, we're gonna have bookoo bucks to throw at the final pieces.

We could be at, or near the top for a long time.

I have wood.

Bowser
03-18-2008, 02:48 PM
We have 28 million according to the last source I checked with. I don't expect the Chiefs to spend up to the limit by any means.

Now, the Chiefs aren't playing some game, hoping that there is an uncapped year coming up, are they?

Bowser
03-18-2008, 02:48 PM

But Clark isn't going to spend the CASH required to sign an expensive FA when he's dropped around $35-40M on Gonzalez and LJ and another $50M or so on Allen and the R1 draft pick.

Shit, he's probably got that between the cushions of his couch.

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 02:49 PM

I'm Glad.

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Shit, he's probably got that between the cushions of his couch.

Correct. I think it has more to do with future cap, than current cash.
I seriously think Herm is pulling the strings now.

Woudn't be something if that ignorant bastard proves us all wrong.

kcchiefsus
03-18-2008, 03:09 PM
According to Forbes.com the Chiefs are the 13th most valuable team in the NFL. The Raiders are the 28th most valuable team. But somehow they have so much more money than us?

OnTheWarpath58
03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
According to Forbes.com the Chiefs are the 13th most valuable team in the NFL. The Raiders are the 28th most valuable team. But somehow they have so much more money than us?

:doh!:

AGAIN -

Clark Hunt has the money to acquire whoever he wants in FA.

BUT HE DOESN'T WANT TO SPEND IT, AND RIGHTFULLY SO.

Salary cap room and CASH to pay signing bonuses are 2 different things.

El Jefe
03-18-2008, 03:26 PM

No,they are just willing to go 19 million over the cap with some pretty questionable signings thus far. I think Hall is a great player, and would hate to see him go to Oakland IMO. He obviously has some character issues but is definetely one of the best at his job, it's kind of a catch 22.

King_Chief_Fan
03-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Now, the Chiefs aren't playing some game, hoping that there is an uncapped year coming up, are they?

given today's inflated salaries for players, I don't think the Chiefs survive an uncapped situation. Look how mediocre this team has been with a cap. Lord help us if there is no cap

King_Chief_Fan
03-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Actually the Chiefs did have an interest and have had one since last offseason. They just aren't hell-bent on getting him like the Raiders are. Now ask me which organization is better-run.

I would prefer you to ask it differently.........like.....of these two teams, which is run worse. It is all relative you know.

Mr. Laz
03-18-2008, 03:34 PM
people need to get over this

we are DOA ..... you understand

the next couple of year we are going to pretty much suck.

then in 2 years, carl will quit or move and Herm will get canned by the new GM. We will have tons of cap room and will have had 3 years of top 8 picks.

Then we can start looking at real free agents and stuff. Until then just chill and write it off.

Chiefaholic
03-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Perhaps Crazy Al is planning ahead for 2010 and no salary cap. He's an old man and he knows his days are numbered. Why die with all his fortune, when he can spend it now and take a chance on getting back to the Superbowl?

Mile High Mania
03-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Should be interesting... anything can happen, but I dunno. Davis is making Snyder of recent years look cheap. Looks like McFadden will be their choice... who knows, maybe they can pull off a huge season.

I doubt it, but who knows...

Deberg_1990
03-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Should be interesting... anything can happen, but I dunno. Davis is making Snyder of recent years look cheap. Looks like McFadden will be their choice... who knows, maybe they can pull off a huge season.

I doubt it, but who knows...

Its the Raiders. So they will probably pick a punter or a fullback with their #4 pick. :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I'd be f*cking ecstatic if the Raiders drafted McFadden.

Coach
03-18-2008, 08:00 PM
I'd be f*cking ecstatic if the Raiders drafted McFadden.

Yeah, and watch McFadden tear the Chiefs D a new one.

Rausch
03-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Perhaps Crazy Al is planning ahead for 2010 and no salary cap. He's an old man and he knows his days are numbered. Why die with all his fortune, when he can spend it now and take a chance on getting back to the Superbowl?

IIRC he's fronting the no-cap argument. Isn't he?

Fruit Ninja
03-18-2008, 08:30 PM

Thats like picking between dumb and dumber. No mater what one you pick, its still dumb.

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 08:42 PM
The Raiders have mortgaged their future for 9-7.

Al will die in mediocrity. Better than the cellar I guess.

EyePod
03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
He's not even that good. He's just young and fast... and there are tons of those types of corners. He is just looked at as good because he makes a lot of interceptions... by gambling a lot. He gets beat badly more than he intercepts, so this should actually help us.

Wilson8
03-19-2008, 12:20 AM
It would seem that Oakland will have to cut good players to get under the salary cap limit. Looking at the roster at possibilities they need to be high dollar players to make a difference. I really don’t see many possibilities, maybe RB Lamont Jordan and OT Robert Gallery. They might try to trade Nnamdi Asomugha to get out from the CB franchise tag cap figure. Isn’t that close to 10 million? They would still have Hall, Fabian Washington, and Stanford Routt at CB.

Most of their high dollar players are ones they just signed. There might be a chance for the Chiefs to look at some players from the Raiders when they get cut. Can Robert Gallery turn things around and play better for another team?

bowener
03-19-2008, 01:40 AM

I may be wrong here, but Forbes is probably ranking their net worth as an organization. The cowboys are always 1st too. This is their marketability, their $$$ from sales of jerseys and other merchandise. All of that has absolutely dick to do with the personell side of money. The cap is equal among all teams, that is the greatest part about the NFL's system. The Raiders and Chiefs have (?guess?) an estimated $128 million to spend on their players and free agents. The Raiders are $19 mil over; we are $28 mil under. Nobody has more money than us, just more brains (not in Al's case though).