PDA

View Full Version : Bob Costas hates sports bloggers

Deberg_1990
03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
and i assume message boards as well...

Good read, and brings up some interesting points. How much access should teams give to people who launch Internet sports blogs or websites, but aren't trained journalists published by a newspaper or magazine??

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/455928.html

Here is the main jist of what Costas had to say speaking before he emceed at Tuesday's Make-a-Wish sports auction at the Broward County Convention Center:

''Today, I saw on ESPN a poll about which Western Conference teams would not make the playoffs,'' Costas said. ``Well, 46 percent said the Denver Nuggets, which has zero percent influence on anything. No reasonable person who cares about the NBA should care about that. Who has the time or the inclination to do this, even if you're sitting on your computer? Why would you weigh in on it?''

Many newspapers (including The Miami Herald) allow readers to post comments, hoping to generate web hits and enlightened exchange of ideas.

''I understand with newspapers struggling and hoping to hold on to, or possibly expand their audiences, I understand why they do what they do,'' Costas said. 'But it's one thing if somebody just sets up a blog from their mother's basement in Albuquerque and they are who they are, and they're a pathetic get-a-life loser, but now that pathetic get-a-life loser can piggyback onto someone who actually has some level of professional accountability and they can be comment No. 17 on Dan Le Batard's column or Bernie Miklasz' column in St. Louis. That, in most cases, grants a forum to somebody who has no particular insight or responsibility. Most of it is a combination of ignorance or invective.''

What bothers Costas -- and he's not alone -- is Internet and talk radio commentary that ``confuses simple mean-spiritedness and stupidity with edginess. Just because I can call someone a name doesn't mean I'm insightful or tough and edgy. It means I'm an idiot.

``It's just a high-tech place for idiots to do what they used to do on bar stools or in school yards, if they were school yard bullies, or on men's room walls in gas stations. That doesn't mean that anyone with half a brain should respect it.''

eazyb81
03-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Costas sounds just a tad bitter.

ChiefsCountry
03-18-2008, 12:45 PM
And them being on tv or radio or writing for a newspaper means they know so much more. Please.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
03-18-2008, 12:47 PM
He brings up some good points about wanna-be "journalists" writing from their mother's basements.

Deberg_1990
03-18-2008, 12:48 PM
He brings up some good points about wanna-be "journalists" writing from their mother's basements.

Hmmm.....who do we know on this board who fits that profile?? :)

|Zach|
03-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Sports information is pretty saturated. There doesn't seem to be as much quality work in the world of sports blogs when you compare it to a lot of the good work you see coming out of blogs in things politics, news, or culture.

There are generally a few good sites that cover certain teams. I know I read ChelseaBlog and enjoy it to get my soccer news and there is a decent Mizzou site thats name is escaping me right now. One of the few national sports wide sports blogs that is pretty strong is Deadspin.com

Douche Baggins
03-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Die in a fire, Bob.

|Zach|
03-18-2008, 12:53 PM
At the end of the day sports is pretty simple. It is tough to have a take that is unique or interesting. Alot of the strength of blogging comes from a lot of people that can try and tackle very complex issues each having an angle.

There isn't really a single opinion about the Chiefs that isn't totally nuts that a sports personality could say that hasn't been talked about on Chiefs Planet.

Basileus777
03-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Sports information is pretty saturated. There don't seem to be as much quality work in the world of sports blogs when you compare it to a lot of the good work you see coming out of blogs in things politics, news, or culture.

There are generally a few good sites that cover certain teams. I know I read ChelseaBlog and enjoy it to get my soccer news and there is a decent Mizzou site thats name is escaping me right now. One of the few national sports wide sports blogs that is pretty strong is Deadspin.com

This is true, but its also the case for actual sports journalism. Look at the crap coming out of ESPN and SI, its better written than blogs, but not much more insightful.

|Zach|
03-18-2008, 12:56 PM
but not much more insightful.

What are they missing? Sports...isn't that complicated. Most members of this board are so in tune with sports information. What insightful thing could they even bring to me about the Chiefs right now without speculating.

Deberg_1990
03-18-2008, 12:57 PM
What insightful thing could they even bring to me about the Chiefs right now without speculating.

Im sure Whitlock could add a racial angle in there somehow?

|Zach|
03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Im sure Whitlock could add a racial angle in there somehow?

Ha, maybe so...

I personally find most of his articles really good reads.

Douche Baggins
03-18-2008, 12:59 PM
I heard Bob Costas was born with female genitalia.

Deberg_1990
03-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Ha, maybe so...

I personally find most of his articles really good reads.

Agreed. IMO, the racial stances that hes taken the past year have sort of seperated him from the pack.

|Zach|
03-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Agreed. IMO, the racial stances that hes taken the past year have sort of seperated him from the pack.

I am not even sure if it is racial stances but his ability to connect sports and society in making his points.

Rooster
03-18-2008, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't totally disagree with Costas on this one although I hear he pees sitting down. :thailor:

Braincase
03-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Die in a fire, Bob.

A little defensive there, aren't you Clayton?

pikesome
03-18-2008, 02:21 PM
What are they missing? Sports...isn't that complicated. Most members of this board are so in tune with sports information. What insightful thing could they even bring to me about the Chiefs right now without speculating.

Quite often is seems like they're all reading from the NFL (or whoever) provided script.

Which I guess makes them just like other journalists after all.

SithCeNtZ
03-18-2008, 03:00 PM

I agree. I think Costas is just reacting negatively to the fact that more people are educated about their teams or leagues in general and they don't have to blindly follow what a sports writer says like they did 20 years ago. He doesn't like the fact that some guy in his basement could be smarter than him or equal to his sports knowledge. He wants to keep that air of superiority over the "common fan". The fact is that the only thing that seperates a sports writer from the diehard fans who watch every game and read every article is their ability to be more articulate in the written and spoken language. This does not, however, make the common fan's ideas or arguments any less valid, and they might very well be more knowledgable than Costas.

SBK
03-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Old media whining about new media, color me shocked.

SBK
03-18-2008, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't totally disagree with Costas on this one although I hear he pees sitting down. :thailor:

He's not the only one that pees sitting down according to this pastor.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SDxcyqeRc-4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SDxcyqeRc-4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SDxcyqeRc-4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

|Zach|
03-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Quite often is seems like they're all reading from the NFL (or whoever) provided script.

Which I guess makes them just like other journalists after all.

Where do you want them to go with things. Either they take what the teams give them...which is a lot of what you see.

Or they do some digging and if that ever goes awry they are ridiculed for being a joke and not being journalists. There is literally no way to please the common message board type sports fan.

SBK
03-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Oops, that's the same clip twice, and for some reason I can't edit it to fix the post....

|Zach|
03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
The fact is that the only thing that seperates a sports writer from the diehard fans who watch every game and read every article is their ability to be more articulate in the written and spoken language.

And I think there is a lot of value in that.

Iowanian
03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Bobcostas better shut the hell up or I'll have Marv Albert put him in a dress and bite some holes in his back.

Douche Baggins
03-18-2008, 03:14 PM
The fact is that the only thing that seperates a sports writer from the diehard fans who watch every game and read every article is their ability to be more articulate in the written and spoken language.

You're too kind.

Deberg_1990
03-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Old media whining about new media, color me shocked.

Thats sort of the opinion i get out of it as well. There is sort of an "elitist" attitude going on with Costas. Its obvious these old timers feel a little threatened by the new media. Its understandable.

chagrin
03-18-2008, 03:55 PM
If Sports writers weren't so f*cking bland and biased we wouldn't have sports bloggers and non-professional writers, now the internet is polluted with garbage from both sides.

Rooster
03-18-2008, 03:57 PM
I think these so called “sports bloggers” take themselves way to seriously. What they do is called "social media." They are not the media. Let's get real people.

pikesome
03-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Where do you want them to go with things. Either they take what the teams give them...which is a lot of what you see.

98% that's all they do. ESPN could just forward me the NFL's press releases and not have to pay for so much "talent".

Or they do some digging and if that ever goes awry they are ridiculed for being a joke and not being journalists.

Being right is a good way to avoid this. I wonder how really journalists manage to do it?

There is literally no way to please the common message board type sports fan.

What's real bad is the level of expertise around here isn't far off TV. The ESPN crew get phone calls directly for players/teams, that's the big difference.

Chief Faithful
03-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Bob Costas hates sports bloggers,...so what? Does anybody care what Bob has to say anymore?

Mile High Mania
03-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Die in a fire, Bob.

Costas presents article 1A into evidence... then, he rests.

Demonpenz
03-18-2008, 04:16 PM
It seems to me pissing off FANS (short for fanatical) is never a good idea.

Tits McGee
03-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Bob is nothing more than an a cold sore, in the world of sports.

Frazod
03-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Eat a dick, Mighty Mouse. I have just as much right to state my opinion as you do. And it carries the same amount of weight; none whatsoever.

StcChief
03-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Bob Costas was a good sports guy, now ? seems to PC.

KcMizzou
03-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Those who do it best (in theory) make a living at it. Those who do it as a hobby, do it because they're passionate about sports. I don't see any harm in it, and I certainly don't think it makes them a loser.

I do agree that the cynical, nasty nature of most of sports talk radio, and blogging is a bit of a turn-off... but nobody's forcing anyone to read or listen to it.

In fact, Bob, I suppose you're welcome to bitch about it all you want. I'm sure you know that wont change anything, though.

KcMizzou
03-18-2008, 08:04 PM
I think Bob should go the RIAA route and start suing sports bloggers and those who read said blogs.

Ari Chi3fs
03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Welcome to 2008, embrace it or go the path of the typewriter.

DaneMcCloud
03-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Eat a dick, Mighty Mouse. I have just as much right to state my opinion as you do. And it carries the same amount of weight; none whatsoever.

I don't think that Costas is referring to sites like this or informed sports fans.

He's talking about the dickwads that post after Posnanski or Whitlock at kansascity.com and similiar news sites across the US. These morons generally have no insight, can't spell, can't put together sentences yet there's a certain credibility given due to the fact that their comments are attached to specific stories written by paid journalists.

Personally, I think it's stupid and agree with Costas in this particular instance.

Frazod
03-18-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't think that Costas is referring to sites like this or informed sports fans.

He's talking about the dickwads that post after Posnanski or Whitlock at kansascity.com and similiar news sites across the US. These morons generally have no insight, can't spell, can't put together sentences yet there's a certain credibility given due to the fact that their comments are attached to specific stories written by paid journalists.

Personally, I think it's stupid and agree with Costas in this particular instance.

You get the good with the bad. Some of the people are knuckledragging idiots; hell, you get that here as well.
But some are informed and offer valid opinions - at least opinions as valid as those of the authors of posted articles themselves. But I do detect arrogance in Costas' words. Talkingsportsheads in general have a highly overinflated opinion of themselves.

Thig Lyfe
03-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Die in a fire, Bob.

Is there a Costas-Wendler feud?

cdcox
03-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Didn't see any of the real media telling me when the Chiefs would draft immediately following the end of the season. I had to resort to a sports blogger to get that information.

KcMizzou
03-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Is there a Costas-Wendler feud?Holy shit. That'd be like Godzilla vs. King Kong Part II

Frazod
03-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Holy shit. That'd be like Godzilla vs. King Kong Part II

I think Gochiefs could take him. :D

Dylan
03-19-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm surprised Costas is behind the times. I skimmed through the article. because I have to go to bed. I'll read it tomorrow.

Smart teams will recognize that some blogs are as popular as mainstream media. I think it's great that sports fans have another outlet to go to where they can read about their team and connect with other fans. Blogging has no standards which is part of the allure.

Influential newspapers will always give readers high-quality news, information, starting with credibility, accuracy and the power to decide what is and isn’t news. Journalism is getting to the truth, and the job performed by journalists cannot be replicated by bloggers sitting at home in front of their computers.

The New York Times is very supportive of bloggers. Their website tops the news chart with over 17 million unique users a month. What's really neat -- each week they choose a different guest NFL team blogger. They're really good. Last week they had bloggers from Philly's 700 Club. This week are the guys behind the Cowboys. The site is called "Blogging the Boys."

Here's the link: I just noticed the blogger mentioned the Giants. That's not required.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/?8dpc

ChiefButthurt
03-19-2008, 09:42 AM
I quit watching HBO because costas wouldn't go away.