PDA

View Full Version : ahhhhhhh ... the cruel twists of Fate

Mr. Laz
03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Chiefs trade up for coveted DT Sims
Posted: Saturday April 20, 2002 5:41 PM

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="230"><tbody><tr><td width="10">
</td><td width="220"> <table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="220"> <!-- TITLE --> <tbody><tr><th colspan="1" bgcolor="#000000">CNNSI.com's Pat Kirwan</th></tr> <!-- /TITLE --> <!-- DATA --> <tr bgcolor="#e7e7e7" valign="top"> <td>Kansas City has wanted Ryan Sims since the Senior Bowl.

The head coach had indicated he was taking a defensive tackle since the season ended and the defensive staff arrived at the position of rating Sims No. 1.

His performance at the Senior Bowl was outstanding, and in Greg Robinson's 4-3 defense, the three-technique tackle must be a penetrator.

Secondly, North Carolina head coach John Bunting was the defensive coordinator for the Rams when Dick Vermeil was there and assured coach Vermeil he was a consummate pro.

First-round analysis, click here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2002/draft/news/2002/04/18/kirwan_round1/).
</td> </tr> <!-- /DATA --> <!-- vspace addition --><tr><td>
</td></tr> </tbody></table> </td></tr></tbody></table> KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- With a 150-pound assistant equipment manager running interference in New York, the Kansas City Chiefs got their 300-pound defensive tackle.
Making a last-second trade with Dallas to move up two spots from eighth to sixth, the Chiefs got North Carolina defensive tackle Ryan Sims Saturday -- the man they coveted since his dominating performance in the Senior Bowl.

"He's a complete player," head coach Dick Vermeil said. "Within time, he will be an impact player at that inside position."
For a few confused seconds, however, it looked like the Minnesota Vikings might slip in and get the 6-foot-4, 311-pound tackle.

Dallas was on the 15-minute clock, ready to exercise the sixth selection in the first round, as Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson hammered out details of a trade. With 90 seconds left, they finally agreed that in return for swapping first-round spots, the Chiefs would give the Cowboys their third-round pick this year and their sixth-rounder in 2003.

But before they could get word of the trade to NFL official Joel Bussert, the clock read 0:00 and the Vikings, picking seventh, were approaching the podium with Sims' name written on their card.

Peterson said assistant equipment manager Allen Wright was standing at the podium with Sims' name written on his card and would not get out of the way. The Chiefs later corrected themselves to say it was assistant equipment manager Chris Shropshire, not Wright.

"It's still Dallas' pick. But then frankly, I looked at the TV also and they were down to zero-zero and [the trade] still hadn't been confirmed," Peterson said. "It said Minnesota was standing behind them. But they didn't allow them to make their pick.

"As soon as Joel said there's been a trade, then we could give the card and make the announcement.

"Allen Wright did a great job in New York. He wouldn't let the Vikings behind him get in front of him."

The Chiefs, who ranked 27th in the NFL last year in run defense, paid a steep price for Sims, a third-round pick in an unusually deep draft class.

"We know him real well," Vermeil said. "I don't think there's any flaws. What he needs is experience and a lot of hard work. He's got the strong lower body, the power, the explosiveness to get around a guy quickly. He gets to the quarterback in a bad mood."

As the clock ran down on Dallas' pick, Sims' heart was racing just as fast as everyone's in Kauffman Stadium.

"My agent tapped me on the side with about a minute left for Dallas to pick and told me that Kansas City was about to move up," he said. "I thought they were a top 10 team and why would they trade up two spots. I was like, 'Oh, my goodness, I am going to be a Kansas City Chief.'"

For inside information on Sims, the Chiefs leaned heavily on North Carolina head coach John Bunting, a former Kansas City assistant.

"I was thinking about being a Chief for a while since coach Bunting put a lot of good things in my head about how great a coach Vermeil was," Sims said. "He is a great coach and I am sure I'll have a wonderful experience."

Although sometimes overshadowed by North Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers, the second player taken overall, Sims made a name for himself as the season wore on. Then he exploded into prominence in the Senior Bowl.

"At first, I really did not want to play in it because I figured I had already shown everybody what I needed to show them in the Peach Bowl," he said.

But then he was told that none of the other three defensive tackles who were also being rated as first-round material would be at the Senior Bowl.

"I was thinking if they are not going, they must have something to hide," Sims said. "I did not want teams to think that I had something to hide. I wanted to show the teams and prove to myself that I could compete against the top competition."

Frazod
03-18-2008, 08:56 PM
:cuss:

Tits McGee
03-18-2008, 09:07 PM
He's a complete player," head coach Dick Vermeil
"Completely out of shape. F**king fatass." head coach Dick Vermeil

smittysbar
03-18-2008, 09:15 PM
I think I need a tissue....

Thig Lyfe
03-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Hahahaha!

Wait...

:(

CoMoChief
03-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Bunting was an asst coach in STL when DV was there I thought, I never knew he coached for the Chiefs.

That draft will all together set KC back at least 8 years, and is all the start of why this team is in the state it is in today.

KCChiefsMan
03-18-2008, 09:18 PM
man o man. Maybe it will happen again this year?

Tits McGee
03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
man o man. Maybe it will happen again this year?

Anything is possible with this bunch..

chagrin
03-18-2008, 09:28 PM
"...and assured coach Vermeil he was a consummate pro..."

f*ckin ass-hole

chagrin
03-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Man, Pat Kirwan is a dumb **** - he said William Green was better than Clinton Portis - even then I knew that was wrong.

EyePod
03-18-2008, 09:32 PM
I wasn't as big of fan back then... was everyone talking about Sims like we are talking about Dorsey or Ellis?

KCChiefsMan
03-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Man, Pat Kirwan is a dumb **** - he said William Green was better than Clinton Portis - even then I knew that was wrong.

oh ya, I remember him. He didn't work out too well in the NFL

Thig Lyfe
03-18-2008, 09:54 PM
I wonder how things would have turned out if Minnesota successfully picked him up?

Frazod
03-18-2008, 10:06 PM
I wonder how things would have turned out if Minnesota successfully picked him up?

We'd certainly have been better off. Goddamn that useless piece of shit. 4321

Lonewolf Ed
03-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Sims' potential quickly swirled around the toilet bowl and went into the sewers. He's not the biggest draft bust in the past 10 or 15 years, but he's high on the list. What a disappointment!

eazyb81
03-18-2008, 10:10 PM
I wasn't as big of fan back then... was everyone talking about Sims like we are talking about Dorsey or Ellis?

Yes, pretty much. There were more questions surrounding him because he really busted out his senior year, but John Henderson also had questions because of his back. Then there was Wendell Bryant and Albert Haynesworth, who were also candidates to go in the top ten.

Rain Man
03-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I wanted Wendell Bryant.

milkman
03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Bunting was an asst coach in STL when DV was there I thought, I never knew he coached for the Chiefs.

That draft will all together set KC back at least 8 years, and is all the start of why this team is in the state it is in today.

No.

This team is in the state it's in because of the same dumbass that's been running things since '89.

Rain Man
03-18-2008, 11:26 PM

Bunting is a former Eagles linebacker too, and I think he's from the DV era in Philadelphia.

melbar
03-19-2008, 10:47 AM

Yes. I also seem to remember discussion about the possibility of Peppers being the reason he looked so good. Nobody wanted to believe it. Neither of these guys has that particular problem. Funny though how the Senior bowl was Sims "coming out party."