PDA

View Full Version : McCain with the Golden Sombrero

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2008, 04:16 PM
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/03/20/787720.aspx

When McCain made a foreign policy gaffe in Jordan on Tuesday, it was Sen. Joe Lieberman who quietly pointed out the mistake, giving McCain an opportunity to correct himself in front of the international press corps. In Israel yesterday, NBC’s Lauren Appelbaum reports, Lieberman once again intervened when McCain made an incorrect reference about the Jewish holiday Purim -- by calling the holiday "their version of Halloween here."

McCain made the incorrect statement during a press conference with Defense Minister Ehud Barak after touring the Israeli city of Sderot to view buildings damaged by Hamas rocket fire. McCain was discussing the numerous rock attacks on the city. "Nine hundred rocket attacks in less than three months, an average of one every one to two hours. Obviously this puts an enormous and hard to understand strain on the people here, especially the children. As they celebrate their version of Halloween here, they are somewhere close to a 15-second warning, which is the amount of time they have from the time the rocket is launched to get to safety. That's not a way for people to live obviously."

Purim is not the equivalent of an Israeli Halloween, Appelbaum notes. The holiday -- although a joyous one -- commemorates a time when the Jewish people living in Persia were saved from mass execution. When Sen. Lieberman had a chance to speak at the press conference, he placed the blame of the mistake on himself. "I had a brief exchange with one of the mothers whose children was in there in a costume for Purim," Lieberman, who is Jewish and celebrates the holiday, said. "And it's my fault that I said to Senator McCain that this is the Israeli version of Halloween. It is in the sense because the kids dress up and it's a very happy holiday and actually it is in the sense that the sweets are very important of both holidays."

"Could I just say that I understand this is the holiday of Hadassah, otherwise known as Esther," McCain later said. Those in attendance quickly made light of the mistake.

McCain’s mistake wasn’t a big deal. But what is interesting, Appelbaum points out, is Lieberman's role during this trip. In two days, Lieberman has intervened twice in front of the press -- once helping McCain with a correction on Sunnis/Shiites and once putting the blame on himself regarding the description of Purim.

StcChief
03-20-2008, 04:25 PM
yes, so he didn't do his Isreali holiday homework. maybe Lieberman will be VP slot for him

Donger
03-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Heh. I'll bet that McCain doesn't know that Canada has a President, either.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Nor did he seem to know what the makeup of Al Qaeda was and where they would be training at.

keg in kc
03-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Heh. I'll bet that McCain doesn't know that Canada has a President, either.heh

Donger
03-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Nor did he seem to know what the makeup of Al Qaeda was and where they would be training at.

Maybe they all look the same to McCain?

Messier
03-20-2008, 04:31 PM
I wish this was something that people cared about, but as was made abundantly clear with Bush, people aren't too concerned with uninformed confusion from our president.

keg in kc
03-20-2008, 04:34 PM
I wish this was something that people cared about, but as was made abundantly clear with Bush, people aren't too concerned with uninformed confusion from our president.Especially when it's dealing with something as overwhelmingly unimportant as the rest of the world and how they perceive us.

BucEyedPea
03-20-2008, 05:49 PM
And here I thought McCain had foreign policy experience.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2008, 05:52 PM
And here I thought McCain had foreign policy experience.

Actually, it's foreign penitentiary experience.

patteeu
03-20-2008, 06:46 PM

McCain didn't say anything indicating that he didn't know the makeup of al Qaeda. And Iran *has* been involved in training them. Now I don't know if that's what McCain was talking about or if he actually misspoke, but either way it's a huge stretch to suggest he doesn't know these things.

patteeu
03-20-2008, 06:48 PM
I wish this was something that people cared about, but as was made abundantly clear with Bush, people aren't too concerned with uninformed confusion from our president.

My observations tell me that most people are too busy with their own uninformed confusion to be be in any position to judge Bush or McCain.

BucEyedPea
03-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Actually, it's foreign penitentiary experience.

Well, I said before he was a lousy student. It's showing now.

Messier
03-20-2008, 08:09 PM
My observations tell me that most people are too busy with their own uninformed confusion to be be in any position to judge Bush or McCain.

I hope the president is less confused than most people.

mikey23545
03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
I will not stand for a president who is not up to date on every ****ing holiday of every ****ing country in the world.

jAZ
03-20-2008, 10:43 PM
How many other people are suprised at how GWB-like McCain is in these sorts of foreign policy faux pas.

Bush's problems are partly explained away by inexperience, a general lack of interest in foreign cultures and a complete disinterest in details.

I've not ever known McCain to be any or all of those things. Certainly he isn't lacking the experience that Bush was.

But he's really had a whole string of gaffes that were they made by Obama (or maybe even Clinton) they'd be all over the news.

He's definately been given a healthy does of teflon by the national media.

jAZ
03-20-2008, 10:44 PM
I will not stand for a president who is not up to date on every ****ing holiday of every ****ing country in the world.
Yes, because that's the issue.

ClevelandBronco
03-20-2008, 11:38 PM
yes, so he didn't do his Isreali holiday homework. maybe Lieberman will be VP slot for him

No.

No. No. No.

No.

Just, no.

mikey23545
03-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Yes, because that's the issue.

Obviously, it is.

And obviously it is much more important to have a candidate who is surrounded by people who viscerally hate the United States, from wife to spiritual guru.

Just like any good liberal, I mean.

Mr. Kotter
03-21-2008, 01:01 AM

I would too; however, if you think we won't be able to find similar gaffes from either....Hillary, or Obama, I think you will be in for a rude awakening. :shrug:

elvomito
03-21-2008, 01:17 AM
McCain was discussing the numerous rock attacks on the city. very troubling times indeed

Taco John
03-21-2008, 01:38 AM
No.

No. No. No.

No.

Just, no.

Count on it. McCain is aiming towards the middle, my friends. McCain is a liberal Republican...

And if you didn't know, Obama is a protoge of Lieberman (http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/03/31/obama_rallies_state_democrats_throws_support_behind_lieberman/).

One way or the other, we're going to see a Lieberman ticket. And I'd be willing to wager that one step further. These things... they don't happen on accident.

ClevelandBronco
03-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Count on it. McCain is aiming towards the middle, my friends. McCain is a liberal Republican...

And if you didn't know, Obama is a protoge of Lieberman (http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/03/31/obama_rallies_state_democrats_throws_support_behind_lieberman/).

One way or the other, we're going to see a Lieberman ticket. And I'd be willing to wager that one step further. These things... they don't happen on accident.

Sen. McCain is already too close to the middle. What would be the point?

Advertise a cabinet post for Sen. Lieberman. That's as far as it ought to go, if it even goes that far.

(Good grief. The more I think about it your idea, the more it sounds like a winning strategy. I'd dread it, but it could win.)

I truly hope you're wrong, TJ.

Taco John
03-21-2008, 02:19 AM
When have I ever been wrong? :D

ClevelandBronco
03-21-2008, 02:48 AM
When have I ever been wrong? :D

You're not wrong so often that I can be comfortable betting against you, but when you are wrong (IMO), you're waaay wrong:

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2001-09/680485.jpg

patteeu
03-21-2008, 07:23 AM

I think it's pretty clear that he is.