PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Stick foot in mouth

dirk digler
03-20-2008, 05:43 PM
I don't know what I think about this but this can't help and this is just going to fuel the notion that he thinks like Wright.

This is real bad news IMHO.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillygossip/1685190... (http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillygossip/16851906.html)

610 WIP host Angelo Cataldi asked Obama about his Tuesday morning speech on race at the National Constitution Center in which he referenced

his own white grandmother and her prejudice. Obama told Cataldi that "The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any

racial animosity, but that she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know (pause) there's a

reaction in her that doesn't go away and it comes out in the wrong way."

We doubt this story will have legs, but wonder if Hillary Clinton referred to a "typical black person," would we ever hear the end of it?

chiefforlife
03-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Yeah, Thats not going to help his cause.:shake:

HolmeZz
03-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Definitely poorly worded, but it was a generational argument and not all that untrue.

If you don't think this will have legs then you haven't seen much of Fox News the past week. They'll have this on a loop. As Obama's speech pointed out, it's the only way the media knows how to address race. I think it's nitpicky and wouldn't get much coverage normally, but it will be picked up on after the Wright stuff.

dirk digler
03-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Definitely poorly worded, but it was a generational argument and not all that untrue.

If you don't think this will have legs then you haven't seen much of Fox News the past week. They'll have this on a loop. As Obama's speech pointed out, it's the only way the media knows how to address race.

Yep. But to use typical white person is not a good way to say things.

HolmeZz
03-20-2008, 05:55 PM

It isn't and I'm sure he'd re-phrase his point if he had the chance. There was no malice there, but some politically incorrect things are going to be said when you want to open up a dialogue about race.

Taco John
03-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Ouch.

He'd have been better off saying "typical person."

keg in kc
03-20-2008, 05:57 PM
It isn't and I'm sure he'd re-phrase his point if he had the chance. There was no malice there, but some politically incorrect things are going to be said when you want to open up a dialogue about race.And ironically, it'll be most noted by the people who are the most vocal opponents of political correctness.

Not that that's a good or bad thing, just pointing out what a funny world we live in.

BigOlChiefsfan
03-20-2008, 05:59 PM
I wonder what Hillary had to promise Satan in order to get Obama to actually talk this week? If y'all have children, keep them safe.

HolmeZz
03-20-2008, 06:21 PM
And ironically, it'll be most noted by the people who are the most vocal opponents of political correctness.

Not that that's a good or bad thing, just pointing out what a funny world we live in.

It is funny, and people who are critical of the validity of his statement will ultimately focus on the wrong part of it. He was speaking to an underlying theme that goes untalked about in our society and that is the irrational fear of black men that has never found it's way out of our culture.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2008, 06:23 PM
It is funny, and people who are critical of the validity of his statement will ultimately focus on the wrong part of it. He was speaking to an underlying theme that goes untalked about in our society and that is the irrational fear of black men that had never found it's way out of our culture.

IDK what the hell you are talking about. vailpass turned me on to "The Birth of a Nation"...no finer and more accurate a piece of celluloid ever emerged from a production facility.

orange
03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
The Obama Campaign actually had a three-for-one sale today on foot-in-mouth:

Kerry: Obama Can Bridge Divide With Islam "Because He's A Black Man"

Speaking of the race speech from Tuesday, Obama supporter John Kerry gave an interview with a local N.H. paper, reports NBC/NJ's Mike Memoli. In it, Kerry said the color of Obama's skin makes him uniquely qualified for president and even reach out to the moderate Islam world.

The Massachusetts senator said Obama has an ability to perhaps even empower moderate Islam "to be able to stand up against the racial misinterpretation of a legitimate religion." Asked by a reporter what gave Obama the credibility to do so, Kerry said, "Because he's African American. Because he's a black man, who has come from a place of oppression and repression through the years in our own country."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/20/kerry-obama-can-bridge-d_n_92576.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McCaskill: Obama First Black Leader To Come To Americas "Not As A Victim"

Obama-backing Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., said at a press conference:

"What this man has done, Barack Obama, is, he, for the first time I think, as a black leader in America, has come to the American people not as a victim, but rather as a leader."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/20/mccaskill-obama-first-bl_n_92583.html

HolmeZz
03-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Kerry's quote is fine.

McCaskill's is slightly controversial and probably inaccurate overall.

BucEyedPea
03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
IWe doubt this story will have legs, but wonder if Hillary Clinton referred to a "typical black person," would we ever hear the end of it?
Well, we haven't heard much of her "Muhammed owns the gas station down the street!" comment. Probably because she's been forgiven for it.

Halfcan
03-20-2008, 06:49 PM
white folks is just plain scared of blackie-everyones knows that-lol

memyselfI
03-20-2008, 07:11 PM
He said those EXACT words IN HIS SPEECH. It went rather unnoticed. But if Hillary or McCain had said something similiar about a black person...

He's got issues.

Halfcan
03-20-2008, 07:13 PM
He said those EXACT words IN HIS SPEECH. It went rather unnoticed. But if Hillary or McCain had said something similiar about a black person...

He's got issues.

So you are saying you hate the black folk huh?

memyselfI
03-20-2008, 07:16 PM
So you are saying you hate the black folk huh?

Nope.

ClevelandBronco
03-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Definitely poorly worded, but it was a generational argument....

Generational my ass.

HolmeZz
03-20-2008, 07:30 PM

He's got issues.

What was factually inaccurate about the statement?

HolmeZz
03-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Generational my ass.

Don't bring your ass into this.

Here's a post I made at another site:

It was poorly worded, but people are focusing on the wrong part of the quote.

He was making a generational argument and referring to the fact that there is still, underlying in our society, this embedded fear of black men. He was not denigrating white people or saying anything remotely malicious about them, he was speaking to a fear many have had embedded in them throughout their lifetimes.

And his point is 100% accurate.

You can't open up an honest dialogue about race and still play by the 'politicially correct' rulebook. Race isn't a politically correct issue.

ClevelandBronco
03-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Don't bring your ass into this...

He was making a generational argument and referring to the fact that there is still, underlying in our society, this embedded fear of black men...

My bad. Generational my left nut.

Halfcan
03-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Nope.

yes you were

ClevelandBronco
03-20-2008, 07:35 PM
If you don't think we've been having serious discussions about race in this country for a couple of centuries, sonny, you haven't bothered to educate yourself.

Generational yo' mama's ass.

memyselfI
03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
yes you were

No, do not assign Obama's implied insensitive racial stereotypes to me. I am pointing out if the two white candidates had made a similiar remark the media would be screaming with outrage and rightly so. The fact that they are not doing so with Obama is curious.

NewChief
03-20-2008, 07:45 PM
It is funny, and people who are critical of the validity of his statement will ultimately focus on the wrong part of it. He was speaking to an underlying theme that goes untalked about in our society and that is the irrational fear of black men that has never found it's way out of our culture.

I love how everyone tries to claim racism is dead and gone in our country. Just finished Freakonomics. The chapter on naming your child talks about how, statistically, resumes with "black" names (Deshawn, DeAngelo, Marcus, etc..) get passed over repeatedly in lieu of people with white names. Yeah. Racism is dead.

orange
03-20-2008, 07:46 PM
He was making a generational argument and referring to the fact that there is still, underlying in our society, this embedded fear of black men. He was not denigrating white people or saying anything remotely malicious about them, he was speaking to a fear many have had embedded in them throughout their lifetimes.

And his point is 100% accurate.

"Even Jesse Jackson said a few years ago, "There is nothing more painful to me ... than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.""

David Gergen, 3/10/96 http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/articles/960318/archive_010008.htm

Is Jesse Jackson a "typical white person?"

Sully
03-20-2008, 07:47 PM
If we stop talking about racism, it will go away!!!!!

Donger
03-20-2008, 07:52 PM
While I suppose it was inevitable that race would enter into this campaign, it is a shame.

Kind of fun to watch, however, as Republican.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2008, 08:03 PM
No, do not assign Obama's implied insensitive racial stereotypes to me. I am pointing out if the two white candidates had made a similiar remark the media would be screaming with outrage and rightly so. The fact that they are not doing so with Obama is curious.

Ronald Reagan once told the story of an "inner-city welfare queen". Supposedly, she was a Chicago woman who drove around in a Cadillac, a car she got with welfare money. This woman had 80 aliases and collected $150,000 in welfare benefits that she had collected from four dead husbands. When the press searched for this woman, she was found never to have existed. The closest thing that was found was a woman using two aliases to collect welfare.

That helped him get elected. Playing on the racial stereotype of the lazy black woman (because I think we all know what "inner city" refers to) actually increased his support and became a narrative to use against welfare.

You're the kind of person who would predict the day that her family would die, then you'd lock them in a car and rev the bitch over a cliff, just so that you could tell them that you were right.

Actually, you wouldn't be right, you'd be what you are now: a psychotic, miserable human being who is probably the most hypocritical person on this board.

Halfcan
03-20-2008, 08:06 PM

Too late-ALL Obama's implied insensitive racial stereotypes-are NOW ON YOU-IT is ALL YOUR Fault!!!!! :cuss:

jeez I was just messing wit ya little white mamma :)

Halfcan
03-20-2008, 08:08 PM
While I suppose it was inevitable that race would enter into this campaign, it is a shame.

Kind of fun to watch, however, as Republican.

yep I agree.

Personally, I don't have a racist bone in my body-I think it is Stoopid to judge on color alone. But I like stirring the pot-somone is bound to let some racist slur slip and set themselves up for a dog pile-lol

Logical
03-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Ouch.

He'd have been better off saying "typical person."
Yup definitely a poor choice of wording. I would hate to be in the public eye all the time. I wonder how often we all misspeak on occasion but people around us don't bother to point it out.

HolmeZz
03-20-2008, 08:26 PM
"Even Jesse Jackson said a few years ago, "There is nothing more painful to me ... than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.""

David Gergen, 3/10/96 http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/articles/960318/archive_010008.htm

Is Jesse Jackson a "typical white person?"

You're taking offense to something that wasn't offensive.

If I said the typical black person likes basketball more than hockey, would you agree? Would that be offensive? Would that mean that a white person couldn't like basketball more than hockey?

ClevelandBronco
03-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Yup definitely a poor choice of wording. I would hate to be in the public eye all the time. I wonder how often we all misspeak on occasion but people around us don't bother to point it out.

To be fair, in your case none of us has that much time on his hands.

:Poke:

orange
03-20-2008, 08:36 PM

If I said the typical black person likes basketball more than hockey, would you agree? Would that be offensive? Would that mean that a white person couldn't like basketball more than hockey?

By specifying "white person," Obama introduced race into the matter, where the Jackson quote I posted demonstrates that fear of young strange black men on the street ISN'T confined to one race, and it's not irrational.

One day after his speech about how we need to stop seeing things through a racial filter, it was a misstep, and it won't sound good to those middle class white people Obama needs to win over.

HolmeZz
03-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I wasn't arguing the sound of the clip. I was arguing the argument, which is more than valid.

People are getting hung up on the wrong part of the quote and that's usually why dialogue about race never goes anywhere.

Mr. Kotter
03-20-2008, 10:22 PM
IMHO, the whole Wright saga will hurt him---the only question is, how much? :shrug:

OTOH, this? Using the phrase, "typical white person"....as a white person with a sense of American history, I understand what he is saying.

Actually, he's saying...."Grandma don't harbor no animosity, but the same suspicions many white folks do...." he's not saying "....Grandma is a racist..." I understand his point quite clearly.

go bowe
03-20-2008, 10:43 PM
IMHO, the whole Wright saga will hurt him---the only question is, how much? :shrug:

OTOH, this? Using the phrase, "typical white person"....as a white person with a sense of American history, I understand what he is saying.

Actually, he's saying...."Grandma don't harbor no animosity, but the same suspicions many white folks do...." he's not saying "....Grandma is a racist..." I understand his point quite clearly.the wright saga will give anti-obama people something to gnash their teeth over...

but i think his swift and articulate response to the whole mess has helped him more than hurt...

imo, the way he has handled this saga is presidential...

i'm proud of the kid...

even if he did go to harvard, he's ok with me...

Logical
03-20-2008, 10:47 PM
To be fair, in your case none of us has that much time on his hands.

:Poke:ROFL

I walked right into that one, well done.

Otter
03-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I'll admit I think it's hilarious watching this happening to Obama after seeing the "racist" term being thrown around against white candidates for so long.

The racism label is the modern day equivalent of a witch hunt. Welcome to the other side Obama!

Deberg_1990
03-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Ive got no problems with what he said. Honestly, there is a kernel of truth to what he said.

Black Comedians joke all the time about "Typical white person" behavior.

Ultra Peanut
03-21-2008, 11:23 AM
B-B-B-But he said something that can be twisted! It's obviously because he hates white people.

HonestChieffan
03-21-2008, 11:25 AM

How can you know what someone else finds offensive?

Donger
03-21-2008, 11:29 AM
How does Obama define "typical white person"?

Ultra Peanut
03-21-2008, 11:40 AM
How does Obama define "typical white person"?White devils.

Donger
03-21-2008, 11:44 AM
White devils.

Seriously, he said it. Surely he has an opinion on the matter.

He should be asked and he should answer honestly.

Otter
03-21-2008, 12:05 PM
It's Good Friday...

Chief Faithful
03-21-2008, 02:00 PM

That is because Obama is not your typical white man.

jettio
03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
No greater example of hyenas and vultures yelping and circling than this stupid controversy.

I predicted that they hyenas and vultures would ultimately marginalize themselves from fair minded Americans with their incessant and insincere pissing and moaning.

Thanks to all of those, including the clowns on Fox and Friends, for proving me right.

patteeu
03-21-2008, 03:26 PM
No greater example of hyenas and vultures yelping and circling than this stupid controversy.

I predicted that they hyenas and vultures would ultimately marginalize themselves from fair minded Americans with their incessant and insincere pissing and moaning.

Thanks to all of those, including the clowns on Fox and Friends, for proving me right.

Uh, this thread was created by an Obama supporter, not one of the vultures and hyenas you've been getting apoplectic about. I think it's minor compared to Obama's NAFTA duplicity and his 20 year intimate relationship with a Pastor who's wrong and divisive message is driven by an overly race-conscious outlook and negative feelings toward his own country, not to mention his deceitful explanations about that relationship.

jettio
03-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Uh, this thread was created by an Obama supporter, not one of the vultures and hyenas you've been getting apoplectic about. I think it's minor compared to Obama's NAFTA duplicity and his 20 year intimate relationship with a Pastor who's wrong and divisive message is driven by an overly race-conscious outlook and negative feelings toward his own country, not to mention his deceitful explanations about that relationship.

Whatever you say. You just keep feigning deep offense, and keep yelping and yelping until you eat your heart out.

alanm
03-21-2008, 06:37 PM
And you are surprised by the fact that the liberal drivebys are ignoring the story? :eek: Pretty standard MO's for them.

HolmeZz
03-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Please tell me what offended you about what Obama said.

alanm
03-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Please tell me what offended you about what Obama said.
Nothing, I think it's hilarious that Obama and the democrats keep injecting race into the election.
I keep waiting for the democrats to play with a grenade instead of shooting their toes off one at a time. ROFL
Give em time.

memyselfI
03-21-2008, 08:03 PM
http://www.customink.com/temp/saveproofs/xenu@blackjammer.dhs.org/twpfront.jpg

If only they'd come up with one that says "typical part white person' then I'd have to own one.

BucEyedPea
03-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Nothing, I think it's hilarious that Obama and the democrats keep injecting race into the election.
I keep waiting for the democrats to play with a grenade instead of shooting their toes off one at a time. ROFL
Give em time.

I thought it was the right who introduce the race issue? They dug up the ole preacher's sermons and put them on the air...not the left.

HolmeZz
03-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I'ma start a group called 'Typical White People for Obama'.

Ultra Peanut
03-21-2008, 08:45 PM
I'ma start a group called 'Typical White People for Obama'.Sign my typical white ass up!

alanm
03-21-2008, 10:19 PM
I thought it was the right who introduce the race issue? They dug up the ole preacher's sermons and put them on the air...not the left.
Nope this is purely a democrat cat fight. Republicans are just sitting back and watching the show. As far as Fox news goes there just showing what everyone else is watching.
But I could be wrong. It could be the brain child of Karl Rove. :evil:

alanm
03-21-2008, 10:20 PM
I'ma start a group called 'Typical White People for Obama'.
If you would have jumped on it sooner you could have made Tshirts.
Probably a couple of thousand ahead of you now. :D

Logical
03-22-2008, 12:24 AM

It was, in fact it was specifically Sean Hannity who is constantly boasting about it, and is now beating the dead horse.

Logical
03-22-2008, 12:28 AM
Whatever you say. You just keep feigning deep offense, and keep yelping and yelping until you eat your heart out.

Wow what a great match-up jettio against patteeu in a grudge match to the death. I will put my money on jettio who I have seen display integrity in the past.

SBK
03-22-2008, 12:40 AM

I haven't seen any proof, but I have no doubt that the Clintons are behind it all. The right has no reason to go after Obama yet, and I think we all know there's nothing Billary won't do to get more power. :shake:

ROYC75
03-22-2008, 01:57 AM
Bottom line is the democrats are making the party look like a true bunch of jackass's. It is the year of the jackass !http://www.calculateme.com/MySpace/background-images/democratic-donkey.gif

Logical
03-22-2008, 02:07 AM
I haven't seen any proof, but I have no doubt that the Clintons are behind it all. The right has no reason to go after Obama yet, and I think we all know there's nothing Billary won't do to get more power. :shake:
Normally I would agree with you but this thing is fueled and constantly being stoked (to beating a dead horse proportions) by Sean Hannity. Now I hate Hillary but I am sane enough to know that Hannity cannot stand Hillary and would never stoop to do her bidding.

SBK
03-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Normally I would agree with you but this thing is fueled and constantly being stoked (to beating a dead horse proportions) by Sean Hannity. Now I hate Hillary but I am sane enough to know that Hannity cannot stand Hillary and would never stoop to do her bidding.

You could be right, I haven't listened to Hannity in years. Everyday is talking point debates from card readers on both sides. Boring and annoying as heck.

I still think it's Hillary. Crap, she's the one that started this whole race thing anyway in South Carolina. Well, maybe it was Bill....

Guru
03-22-2008, 02:23 AM

Yeah, it will most likely add fuel to the fire. I would think he didn't mean that the way it came out but who knows.

patteeu
03-22-2008, 08:31 AM

Hannity pointed out the offensive aspects of Jeremiah Wrights ministry last spring. It was a minor controversy at the time. He got back onto it, pointing out that he'd been on the story long ago, only after it reappeared in the mainstream media this time around. I seriously doubt that it was Hannity pushing it into the bright lights at this point in time. I suspect that someone from the Clinton campaign had something to do with it. Hannity just jumped back on hard because he feels some ownership for having been one of the first.

BigOlChiefsfan
03-22-2008, 10:24 AM
If you would have jumped on it sooner you could have made Tshirts. Probably a couple of thousand ahead of you now. :D

Here's one (http://www.customink.com/designs/twp/7756150-1584070/share?cm_ven=share&cm_cat=email&cm_pla=Body_img&cm_ite=design) at least.

Typical White People For Obama has to have the 1970's Average White Band play your theme songs. And you should do everything listed in Stuff White People Like (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/)

alanm
03-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Wasn't Bill the 1st one to bring up race? Doesn't really matter who brought it up you knew it would be at some juncture. But the democrats seem to be the ones making the most of it. Not to mention hurting themselves in the process.

Baby Lee
03-22-2008, 11:23 AM
And you should do everything listed in Stuff White People Like (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/)

I love that site. A true equal opportunity skewer-er.

most white people prefer to say that they don’t watch television, one thing they agree on is that Arrested Development was the best show on TV. They love it so much!

The love it for a number of reasons. Firstly, since the show was cancelled before it jumped the shark, it’s effectively like a rocker that dies at 27. Also, the show got terrible ratings, meaning that it wasn’t ‘mainstream,’ which makes white people love it unilaterally. Other examples of shows like this are Twin Peaks and The Ben Stiller Show.

They also love it because there are a few references to white popular culture, and if there is one thing that white people love, it’s cultural references that they understand (see Garden State, The Onion, and Juno for examples).

If you are ever a white person’s house, and you see an orange box in their DVD collection, you should say “oh, you have Arrested Development, I love that show!” To which you will be offered a glass of wine, and perhaps an invitation to 80s night.

Also of note: the hip hop group Arrested Development is also loved by white people.

vailpass
03-22-2008, 11:34 AM
It isn't and I'm sure he'd re-phrase his point if he had the chance. There was no malice there, but some politically incorrect things are going to be said when you want to open up a dialogue about race.

You're just a typical black person.