MrBlond
08-09-2001, 01:30 PM
I am sure he is up to the task.

Ravens' signing of Grbac about to pay off

August 9, 2001 Print it

Paul Attner
The Sporting News

Send Paul your NFL question or comment!

They are saying the politically correct things, of course. From owner Art Modell to coach Brian Billick, the theme is the same: We will go on, we will adjust, we will be OK. But things are not OK anymore with the Ravens, not now, not after likely losing running back Jamal Lewis to a season-ending knee injury.

Lewis is one of two indispensable Ravens. The other is linebacker Ray Lewis. Baltimore's offense is built around the running game, around the strong and still improving second-year running back. Even with the addition of quarterback Elvis Grbac, the Ravens' offensive approach was not changing, not appreciably. Lewis would be the focal point with Grbac geared to relieve some of the pressure from him with his passing accuracy.

The Ravens had left themselves vulnerable at running back. With salary cap restrictions, they couldn't cover every area, and running back became one of the potential weak points. Someone named Jason Brookins, an NFL Europe veteran with no NFL experience, is Lewis' backup. He won't be the starter come the opener against the Bears.

This now becomes a test for the Ravens, far more than anything this overhyped HBO behind-the-scenes training camp intrusion ever represented. In Ozzie Newsome, the team's player personnel guru, they have one of the league's wisest talent scouts. Newsome's wisdom will be stretched these next days and weeks as he scrambles to find someone who can at least represent a reasonable running threat to opposing defenses. Without that player, the resulting one-dimensional offense would become everything the Ravens and Billick don't want entering this season.

Still, no matter whom Newsome acquires, the decision to sign Grbac and discard Trent Dilfer after last January's Super Bowl triumph becomes huge. Imagine if Billick had to contemplate relying heavily on Dilfer right now instead of protecting him, as he did last season, with Jamal Lewis' running?

Grbac needs no such protection. He is a big-time NFL quarterback, not perfect, but fully capable of shouldering a major load of the Ravens' offense. Billick and Newsome didn't bring Grbac to Baltimore to take over the offense, but they have no choice now. The focal point will swing to Grbac, a young, developing group of outside receivers and tight ends Shannon Sharpe and Todd Heap.

This doesn't mean the Ravens will become exclusively pass happy. But Jamal Lewis was a rare talent, one you simply don't replace through a personnel move in August. The Ravens are left with no choice but to alter their offensive plans and ask Grbac and friends to make up for his loss.

This will be a test for Billick and Matt Cavanaugh, his gifted offensive coordinator. But Billick already has demonstrated remarkable flexibility with his offensive thinking. Last year, his decision to pull back on the passing game and rely almost exclusively on Jamal Lewis and his defense was simply brilliant. It put the Ravens on track to win a Super Bowl, even if it was contrary to his image as a wide-open, madly scheming offensive addict.

Give Baltimore credit. By being aggressive in the offseason and not fretting about whether a quarterback change would disrupt team chemistry, the Ravens have a chance to survive the loss of their star runner. Couple the addition of Grbac with their still formidable defense, and don't get too anxious to eliminate the Ravens from a return trip to the Super Bowl.

ptlyon
08-09-2001, 01:38 PM
He is a big-time NFL quarterback

Don't worry folks, they'll figure it out soon...

HC_Chief
08-09-2001, 01:46 PM
<i>Grbac geared to relieve some of the pressure from him with his passing accuracy</i>

Man, these guys are in for a nasty surprise. Grbac does have a strong arm and a nice, pretty spiral... but when he locks onto a target and forces into triple-coverage constantly - or delivers that 'accurate' pass 5 yards short of the end zone with no time left, <i>that's</i> where you start to see the Grbac we had to deal with over the past 3 years.

htismaqe
08-09-2001, 01:51 PM
Yep, HC, exactly what I was thinking...

MrBlond
08-09-2001, 02:05 PM
I watched Grbac for his entire Chiefs tenure and can't recall 3 passes where he hit his receiver in stride. KC even drafted and signed receivers that would off-set his poor accuracy. Morris? his forte was climbing the ladder for the jump-ball. Lockett was known for his circus catches. Alexander and Gonzo were big targets that could win a fight for the ball. Grbac=accurate? I didnt see it.

Packfan
08-09-2001, 02:33 PM
The last thing Elvis needs to the expectation that he will carry the Ravens offense. I must agree with what some of you said: Grbac had better weapons in KC and still made a bunch of bone headed plays. Losing Lewis is a big blow to Elvis.

As I predicted a few months ago, Grbac wont win a playoff game with Baltimore.

Lzen
08-09-2001, 02:39 PM
C'mon people,
Don't you guys think you might be exaggerating a little. If Grbac wasn't accurate or didn't hit his receivers in stride he never would've passed for over 4,000 yards and had a 2 to 1 touchdown to interception ratio(which is what you want in a qb).
As far as I'm concerned, Grbac is gone and I could care less about whether or not he does well in Baltimore. However, I think credit should be given where credit is due. It doesn't matter how you paint the picture of him, you can't deny the fact that he made the Pro Bowl. And don't give me that crap about how he was the 5th guy. He had the 3rd or 4th best qb rating in the AFC. There's no way this guy you people describe could've done that. Let's at least try and be realistic even if you are still pissed at him for leaving.

milkman
08-09-2001, 02:54 PM
Izen,
I was never pissed at Elvis for leaving.
I never found any fault for his decision.

I said many times that his deision was heavily influenced by DV's woody for Trent Green. DV wanted TG, and pretty much made Elvis feel unwanted.

Couple that with KC fans low regard for Elvis, he made the right choice for himself.

That being said, most of what has been said on this thread is pretty accurate.

Elvis is not nearly as accurate as the article makes him out to be, and he is a genuine bonehead.

The Ravens chances of repeating took a real dive with the loss of Lewis.

Iowanian
08-09-2001, 02:57 PM
B-More is really going to be suprised the first time the Elvi gets a yeast infection and sits on the bench for 3 weeks. Feminin itching obviously affects the passing arm....

Maybe we could dump a RB we dont' need to them....something in return instead of cutting them loose...Moreau or Cloud?...Better Yet...Dante Hall.

Hope Redmon is ready.

Hoover
08-09-2001, 03:01 PM
Man I would shadow a safty on Shannon Sharpe and and watch Elvis get the snot sacked out of him. They are thin at WR Brandon Stokley (SP?) and Q. Ishimial (SP?) do not strike fear in to me, and Taylor is coming of an injury and has never really done much in the NFL. Shaprpe is all they got, so I would double team him and watch Elvis go down. With his history of getting hurt, I think the Ravens are in real trouble.

Hey Gaz, I think you need to watch the Ravens this year if you want to see some bone crushing.

Hoover

DaWolf
08-09-2001, 03:07 PM
It will all be dependent on the OL. If he gets protection, he can stand back there and pick em apart with the best of them. But if they don't find the run game, that OL will be under a lot of pressure to pass protect against blitzing teams, because if Grbac has a major weakness, it is that he doesn't step up in the pocket enough and he can't hit the side of a barn when he's throwing on the move. And no running game minimizes one of Grbac's best strenghts: the play action pass.

Last year with no running game, Grbac performed well because the line pass blocked pretty well and DA and Gonzo played terrific football. If BMore can give that to him, he'll be fine. Otherwise, they've got a problem...

Lzen
08-09-2001, 03:10 PM
Milkman, I agree that EG did make the occasional bonehead play. However, I wasn't referring to "how accurate the article makes him out to be". I was pointing out that he's not nearly as bad as you guys make him out to be. Personally, I think he's one of the better qbs in the league. It has taken some time but, his confidence is up there now and he'll be in more Pro Bowls. I would still go with our current qb, though.
Hoover, even though EG did have injuries his first 2 years in KC, he did make it through the last 2 years virtually injury free.

Iowanian
08-09-2001, 03:12 PM
Wolf,

the loss of Searcy on the right side will cause The Elvi some grief.

Injuries to the line, loss of a legitimate RB(although he should be used to that situation), weak Recievers....Elvis could be in for some looooooong sunday afternoons.

~and it makes me smile.

Izen.......except for the hangnail on his pinky....you know...the game that cost the loss to the winless Dolts.

KS Smitty
08-09-2001, 03:12 PM
OK just came from the Ravens BB. Good lord what a bunch of potty mouths! I read a thread titled What are the Ravens going to do now?????? and I swear the "f" word (uncensored) was used quite a bit. Especially when some troll got on a gave em what for. Personally I didn't consider them a troll but they certainly were agitating them. Here is the link to that thread:
http://www.ravensnest2.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=009055

BTW Thanks Senator and Fat Elvis for the original link in the Elvis season just got harder thread.

Warning: Language on the above link is not suitable for anyone but especially children.

Lzen
08-09-2001, 03:21 PM
Now he'll feel right at home. Well, except for the talent level of receivers.

MrBlond
08-09-2001, 03:23 PM
Izen,

Elvis had a completion % of 59.6 last year. 15th among regular starters. The jist of my post was that he was "inaccurate". I don't think that is an exaggeration. Elvis may be a fine QB, given the right supporting cast, but I wouldnt bet on riding him to the Superbowl.

Fat Elvis
08-09-2001, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by lzen
Now he'll feel right at home. Well, except for the talent level of receivers.

Actaully, if you ask the Ravens fans, Grbackup had no supporting cast here in KC. It's almost os though he threw, blocked and caught the ball all by himself.

They seem to think Baltimore has a better Oline and better recievers than what Elvis had here in KC.

I think they are in for a rude awakening.....

htismaqe
08-09-2001, 03:49 PM
If Travis Taylor can return to form, Elvis will have a recieving corp there that is "similar" to ours -- not quite as good -- but good...

It's really the lack of Lewis that's going to KILL him...

Too bad we couldn't trade one of our RBs for Jermaine Lewis, we could use another small, speedy receiver...lord knows they aren't using him for anything other than special teams, although he's good at that...

Pitt Gorilla
08-09-2001, 04:12 PM
Wow, those Ravens fans are brutal!! Not only are they intollerant of oppossing views, but they make up for it with completely moronic retorts. How many of you guys occasionally intrude? Just curious...not really wanting to start something....BUT, something NEEDS to be done!!

Fat Elvis
08-09-2001, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Pitt Gorilla
Wow, those Ravens fans are brutal!! Not only are they intollerant of oppossing views, but they make up for it with completely moronic retorts. How many of you guys occasionally intrude? Just curious...not really wanting to start something....BUT, something NEEDS to be done!!

I go over there on a fairly regular basis now. It's like playing with the monkeys. They are seriously the stupidest bunch of fans I've ever seen. Go poke some fun at them, they deserve it. I've seen Bob Dole over there on occasion (some of them think he's me cuz we both tell them that Elvis sucks). Misplaced Chiefsfan has been there quite a while and seems to have an ok rapport with them.

There are a couple ok posters over there, but by and large, they make the typical Raider's fan look like a rocket scientist (no offense hawaiianboy--you've got football smarts). The ravens fans are truly myopic and to top it off, they are extremely vulgar.

Raiderhader
08-09-2001, 04:29 PM
This past season I kept giving most of the credit to the receiving corp, and got lambasted for it almost every time. I kept saying that Elvis wasn't that accurate, it was the receivers we had that made him look so. But now there seems to be a change of mind on this, now I am reading threads that are shredding EG's accuracy.

Hader,
feels vindicated now

everyone's mom
08-09-2001, 04:49 PM
"ditto" to the comments about the ravens BB. They are humorless and, generally, still punch drunk from winning the SB. Too much 'roid rage.

As for our receivers vs. the ravens not even close. DA makes them all look silly, and Gonzo is one of the top skill players in the league, period. I guarantee Pelvis would love to have the lowly kevin lockett right now.

I wonder if the ravens think MYOPIC is a cuss word?

KCJohnny
08-09-2001, 04:49 PM
If Elvis got 7 wins out of the '00 Chiefs, he can get 11-13 EASY out of the World Champs.
Remember, this is a team that needed only SEVEN ppg to win.
Grbac proved he could play in the play-action smash mouth offense ('99- 3,389 yds, 22 TDs, 15 INTs) and in the pass-happy bombs-away offense ((4,169, 28/14). In fact, he took the whole team on his shoulders and performed very admirably IMO.

The Ravens still have a strong OL, they still have a monster D, and they WILL find someone to run the rock. Lewis was a rookie; why can't another young RB step up? Rememeber what launched the careers of rookies Olandis Gary and Mike Andersen, right?

Izen: Nice posts. I've been here trying to cut thru the smaque for years trying to give credit where it is due. Kudos!

KCJ

everyone's mom
08-09-2001, 05:10 PM
Here is an interesting note on the ravens OL
From their BB:

"But, more important, Channels 45 and 2 both had video of the play and it was totally Michael Flynn's fault. It was a standard off-tackle run to the right and Gregg blew past Flynn off the snap (get used to seeing that this year), getting great penetration when Flynn dove at his legs, with both of them rolling up on Jamal.

If you want to blame anyone (which I don't, because it's a hitting game), blame Flynn for getting beat, and then compounding his mistake by knocking the guy into Jamal."

Flynn, I assume, is their center. Several posts made this guy out as a mjaor liability.

Minus Searcy, and with guys like this Flynn, Grbac will wish he had the Chiefs line again. They protected him great last year with no running game.

milkman
08-09-2001, 05:40 PM
Pitt,
I've made a couple of appearences over at the Ravens board after following a link that Fat Elvis provided at the park.

I was just going to read and get out. But after reading the posts made by Grbashers, and the high expectations of the Raven fans, I decided to jump in and try to give them a little dose of reality.

Grbac is neither as bad as the Grbashers believe, or as good as the Grbackers believed, and Ravens fans are hoping for.

The problem is, those guys think they know everything there is to know about Grbac, so it was essentially a waste of time.

htismaqe
08-09-2001, 06:34 PM
The Ravens O-Line is not that good...

Especially without Searcy...

wyno
08-09-2001, 07:35 PM
Once opposing teams learn to cover Shannon Sharp, Elvis won't know where to throw the ball. He'll throw the ball time after time into triple coverage and either it will be incomplete or intercepted. Then, he'll walk to the side lines, take his helmet off and have that glazed look in his eyes which looks like he had been in a titty bar all night, and stand there woundering why the hometown people are booing him. We'll sit back and say "that's our Elvis." Get ready Raven Fans!

PACHIEFSFAN
08-09-2001, 07:54 PM
Where were all these words of glory for EG last year, or the year before that, or the year before.... Well, you get the idea. He leaves KC and suddenly he is the second coming!!!! The 2000 B-More won the SB, not EG!!!

:) I WOKE UP THIS MORNING AND F0UND I WAS ALIVE. I THINK THIS IS GOING TO BE A GOOD DAY!!!