PDA

View Full Version : *****Official WCHA Final Five Thread*****

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 07:23 PM
I expect this to drop down the frontpage like a rock...

DU already in the finals, CC playing the Golden Showers right now, 1-1 with 11:50 to go in the 2nd.

Couple of outstanding freshman netminders in this one with Bachmann and Kangas.

But does anybody else care?

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 07:30 PM
CC on the powerplay with 6:42 to go.

They've really pretty much dominated this game, but Kangas has been out of his mind.

Bearcat
03-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I went to several UNO games this year... was hoping to be in Detroit for the CCHA championship, but didn't make it.

Can't wait for the Frozen Four. :toast:

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 07:36 PM
I went to several UNO games this year... was hoping to be in Detroit for the CCHA championship, but didn't make it.

Can't wait for the Frozen Four. :toast:

College hockey is a blast...got the first round of the tournament in town this year, but I'll be traveling...and can't go.

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 07:38 PM
CC powerplay again with 2:09 to go in 2nd...

Stu Bickel is likes to hold stick.

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Hillen with a great break and Kangas with an amazing save...Play by play announcer "Hillen did what a lot of guys do and shot before the legs were open...you gotta really hold onto it until the right leg opens up, then you can blow it right in there and score..."

Awesome.

End of 2, 1-1 tie.

Sully
03-21-2008, 08:09 PM
I saw that a lot of these would be showing on the NHL network, but have been too busy watching basketball. Sucks.

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Golfers playing really well in the 3rd, ice seems to be tilted to their offensive zone. Tigs back on their heels after really dominating the first 2 periods...

Could be a fun finish.

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 08:28 PM
First 13 minutes of the 3rd was dominated by UM with ugly rugby-scrum hockey. From 7 minutes to 3:41 CC opens it up and somehow Minne gets saved by a pipe. Don't know how the puck bounced out instead of in from the angle it hit...2:30 left right now and it's WIDE OPEN balls-to-the-wall hockey.

Good stuff!!!

kstater
03-21-2008, 08:30 PM
How do you get a final five?
Serious question. Actually like hockey.

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 08:35 PM
How do you get a final five?
Serious question. Actually like hockey.

End of the conference tournament. 3 teams automatically through to the semis (from first round play) and a play-in game gives final 5.

We're going to overtime, and evidently the local channel has lost the satellite feed as my screen goes blue. They've got 20 minutes to figure this sh*t out.

3rd period was pretty wild. CC is pretty obviously the more skilled team but UM is big and ground the pace down, and the NHL sized ice helped them out. Some furious back and forth at the end of the period, with both Fros. goalies making some nice stops.

Sully
03-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I think it's on the NHL Network

I went to UM a couple of winters back and caught a hockey game. It was an awesome place to see a game... GREAT arena.
And whoever knew cheerleaders on ice would be my favorite?

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I think it's on the NHL Network

I went to UM a couple of winters back and caught a hockey game. It was an awesome place to see a game... GREAT arena.
And whoever knew cheerleaders on ice would be my favorite?

Thanks, but they got it back as I was my way out the door to the local NBC affiliate with my shotgun.

College hockey is a TON of fun live. I'm gonna miss that a lot after the relocation.

ChiefsCountry
03-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Its pretty popular here in Springfield, we dont have an offical school team but its a club sport and they normally sell out the 1000 seat hockey rink in Springfield.

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 08:54 PM
OT starting off like the 3rd with UM dominating early.

Bachman showing why he was the WCHA-POY so far though...

Ari Chi3fs
03-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Wait. There is a team called the Golden Showers?

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Unfortunately, no...it's Minnesota.

And they just put the sudden in sudden-death. Outstanding effort in the 3rd and overtime by the Gophs...and now a shot from the right board on the goal line is deflected by Prosser (CC defenseman) off the back of Bachman, who had the shot easily covered, and into his own net.

DU vs UM for the Broadmoor Cup tomorrow night.

chagrin
03-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey - how's Colorado College doing lately? Didn't they win 3 times in a row, the WCHA Championship, in the mid 90's?

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Hey - how's Colorado College doing lately? Didn't they win 3 times in a row, the WCHA Championship, in the mid 90's?

They were #2 in the nation coming into this weekend, and won the WCHA regular season title. They're pretty much an annual contender (last year they were young and failed to make the NCAA tournament). I've only been following them for 5 years, but I've seen 2 Hobey Baker award winners from CC in that time period.

And thanks to all you guys for not making this a solo thread. I'll be back with it for the championship tomorrow evening.

ClevelandBronco
03-21-2008, 09:54 PM
DU's program is insanely strong these past few years.

Am I incorrect, or would Stastny have been a senior this season if he hadn't come out?

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 10:00 PM
DU's program is insanely strong these past few years.

Am I incorrect, or would Stastny have been a senior this season if he hadn't come out?

Stastny would have been a senior this year.

Denver has won 2(? I think national championships the last 5 years). One of those was a ridiculous overachieving got hot at the right time run, mainly on the strength of Tony Manino in goal.

That kid was f*cking nails.

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 10:02 PM
I just realized there's a good "Lurker 500" question in this thread as I believe one of the posters here is a DU alum...

ClevelandBronco
03-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Stastny would have been a senior this year.

Denver has won 2(? I think national championships the last 5 years). One of those was a ridiculous overachieving got hot at the right time run, mainly on the strength of Tony Manino in goal.

That kid was f*cking nails.

That year in the final game he had to survive two minutes of a five on three at the end of the championship game. Not only that, but the opposition (Minnesota?) pulled their goalie and it became a six on three. I didn't get to see the game. I was listening to it on radio. The play-by-play guy was about to have a stoke.

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 10:11 PM
That year in the final game he had to survive two minutes of a five on three at the end of the championship game. Not only that, but the opposition (Minnesota?) pulled their goalie and it became a six on three. I didn't get to see the game. I was listening to it on radio. The play-by-play guy was about to have a stoke.

I think it was North Dakota...I also think the WCHA had 3 of the final 4 teams in that year, and Manino was indeed an animal.

With Air Force coming on the past couple of seasons (and DU and CC being solid as always) Front Range hockey has been a lot of fun to be around.

Bearcat
03-21-2008, 10:19 PM

That was the second Frozen Four I had seen, and I was having a stroke.

chagrin
03-21-2008, 10:22 PM
They were #2 in the nation coming into this weekend, and won the WCHA regular season title. They're pretty much an annual contender (last year they were young and failed to make the NCAA tournament). I've only been following them for 5 years, but I've seen 2 Hobey Baker award winners from CC in that time period.

And thanks to all you guys for not making this a solo thread. I'll be back with it for the championship tomorrow evening.

Rippin, thanks for the info - unfortunately I haven't paid attention to college Hockey for the past few years, so I can't engage in the conversation, but certainly I support it :)

chagrin
03-21-2008, 10:24 PM
However, I do remember fondly, Michigan winning the NCAA Football title and that unbelievable Hockey title run as well.

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 10:28 PM
I wish college hockey got more exposure. It's one of those rare sports where someone like a CC (enrollment about 1500, 2 D-I sports) can compete with a Michigan, a Wisconsin, a Minnesota...plus it's just an assload of fun to watch. The differences between teams (most are built for their home sheet which can be either NHL or Olympic size) is a blast, and the speed of the game is unmatched.

U of M has one of the craziest plays in history as well with the behind the goalie top-shelfer...that was wild.

Chest Rockwell
03-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Mike Legg...'96...WOW

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2mrqOIDoEGw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2mrqOIDoEGw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ClevelandBronco
03-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I wish college hockey got more exposure. It's one of those rare sports where someone like a CC (enrollment about 1500, 2 D-I sports) can compete with a Michigan, a Wisconsin, a Minnesota...plus it's just an assload of fun to watch. The differences between teams (most are built for their home sheet which can be either NHL or Olympic size) is a blast, and the speed of the game is unmatched.

U of M has one of the craziest plays in history as well with the behind the goalie top-shelfer...that was wild.

Best game ever invented, IMO. Seeing it played at the arena (and preferably next to the ice, on the glass a couple of times) is necessary for understanding it, though. And it took me three years before I knew what to look for before it was happening.

The next seven years just solidified my love of the game.

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
And the game that decides who takes the Broadmoor Trophy is on. Denver/Minnesota, and so far sota is doing a good job of grinding down the pace much like the did last night against CC. DU just got one in the box for an ugly, LATE slash.

Earlier today North Dakota beat CC 4-2 for the consolation game as the Tigers #1 in the country penalty kill let them down, giving up 3 goals.

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 06:26 PM
BIG chance for Denver as they'll go 4 on 3 for 1 minute, then 5 on 3 for 30 more...

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 06:27 PM
POST!!! Holy shit that was a rocket!

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Minnesota holds with some physical penalty kill action.

Good sequence for Minnesota, but 2 days in a row post has saved them.

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 06:50 PM
End of 1st period 0-0.

Game is fairly similar to last night in that DU is clearly a more skilled team. NHL sized ice (and being in Minneapolis) is helping UM, but they're not getting as dominated as they did the first two periods last night. Kangas is again out of his mind.

28 combined shots made for an entertaining 1st. It's already chippy as well, as there werr 4 or 5 pull-aparts...this could get real interesting if it stays close late in the game.

Whatever the outcome, it's been an impressive run for a Minnesota team that's been pretty underwhelming all year. 4 overtime games in their last 5 (including one double OT) could be a factor as the game rolls on.

chagrin
03-22-2008, 06:54 PM

Just getting back to this, I agree - CC is also from what I remember, just a LiberalArts college as well; which makes that really amazing too.

chagrin
03-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey -anyone know where I could catch a streaming game site somewhere?

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 07:03 PM
WCHA's website has streaming audio, http://wcha.cstv.com/. Otherwise, it's on Fox Sports North and Fox Sports Rocky Mountain.

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Furious barrage of shots from DU on the man advantage withstood by Kangas. He's really pulled UM's asses out of the fire early in the second as the Gophers continue to play with fire, committing their 4th penalty already just 22 seconds into the period.

bango
03-22-2008, 07:11 PM
I have never heard the Golden Showers before. I will have to run that by my friend who lives in Minneapolis and is a GG Alum. I usually call them the Rodents or Goldies. With all of the bball I forgot to look and see how my Badgers were doing.

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Minnesota scores first on a drive from the top of the circle and deflected in at 5:39 of the 2nd, if it stands (possible high stick under review).

Minnesota will win this game, luck or jesus one are on their side. Kangas just made a save on a deflection that got behind him immediately before the Gophs score. They're playing out of their minds.

Goal ruled good, 1-0 UM.

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, Jesus has left the building...

DU gets a slop goal off a Gopher skate to tie it up at 9:10 of the 2nd.

1-1

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Huge goal, Denver on the breakaway beats Kangas 5-hole with 26 seconds to go in the second. This one has turned into a slugfest with HUGE hits.

Denver leads 2-1 after 2.

Denver has 29 shots after 2, and have scored the last two goals, Mo going the Pies way.

Huge game in the CCHA championship tonight as #1 Meesheegan is taking on #3 Miami.

Interesting storyline today as CC may have played their way out of a #1 seed...will be interesting to see what happens given they're hosting the West Regional next week.

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 08:19 PM
8 minutes to go in the game, still 2-1 Denver. DU played Italian national soccer team hockey for the 1st 10 minutes of the period, then gave up a penalty.

After the kill, we're back to "Azzurri on Ice."

Minnesota is starting to show signs of what 4 overtime games in your last 5 will do for your stamina.

Chest Rockwell
03-22-2008, 08:34 PM
UM goes empty net with 1:23 left because Denver has resorted to buttsechs hockey the entire 3rd period to retain the lead (which has worked).

It's a shame, 2 great periods followed by one of the most boring I've ever seen, ending in a minute and a half flurry with empty net that fails. Denver punts on 1st down the entire 3rd period and win.

2-1 for the Broadmoor Trophy.

Thanks to all you guys that played along, don't forget to follow the Frozen Four starting next weekend.

bango
03-22-2008, 08:41 PM
I'll be there.

UL Washington
03-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Denver wins and what a joke that is to call the Minnesota Wild's arena neautral.

bango
03-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Denver would have to advance first. Then they get some home games. Home games could be the reason that the Badgers are in. Meeting in the second round I am going to go with, Michigan over St. Cloud, Michigan St over New Hampshire, Wisconsin over North Dakota, Minnesota over Air Force. Meeting in the Frozen Four(great name for a championship), Michigan St. over Michigan, Wisconsin over Minnesota. Meeting for the title, Wisconsin over Michigan St.