PDA

View Full Version : NFT: George Bush has just endorsed stem celled research...

bishop_74
08-09-2001, 07:05 PM
What do you think. I am relieved, and glad.

Rausch
08-09-2001, 07:35 PM
Sounds to me like Baby Bush just got himself a pair...

From a guy who has almost INSISTED on sideing with the extreme right on nearly every issue, he displays finally a great big pair by allowing research that can save lives and might even lead to a few cures...

He get's his first pat on the back from me....

:D Nice to see him FINALLY make a more centrist decision....

StLouisBob
08-09-2001, 07:40 PM
I heard a preacher talk about how this world is killing the unborn at a record rate. Women in the US have kill 25 million babies since 1972. The Preacher stated that he had a dream and in the dream he went to heaven and asked Jesus, "Lord why have you sent cancer, Aids, and other diseases to the world that you love so much. Jesus anwsered. "I also sent a gift to the world I sent two seperate children to earth to cure cancer, and AIDS, but both children were murdered by their mothers before they were born, The world rejected my gifts. " (Made me think that this world will not last long.)

Logical
08-09-2001, 07:49 PM
Although I do not know the details, I am definitely on the political right. Yet, I have been for allowing stem cell research as the material is available from the left over eggs from reproductive assistanace clinics and in sufficient amount to avoid the need to use aborted fetuses.

As long as the use of stem cells from aborted fetuses is not allowed I am ecstatic with this result.

A win-win for all involved in that event.

bishop_74
08-09-2001, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by StLouisBob
Jesus anwsered. "I also sent a gift to the world I sent two seperate children to earth to cure cancer, and AIDS, but both children were murdered by their mothers before they were born, The world rejected my gifts. " (Made me think that this world will not last long.)

Not murdured byus, but by the natural process of shedding an egg, otherwise known as, the menstral cycle.

Clint in Wichita
08-09-2001, 08:00 PM
Don't worry, Bob.

When things get bad enough, God will wipe us out with some sort of natural disaster.

Frazod
08-09-2001, 08:06 PM
I'm glad Bush backed this research and didn't cave in to the zealots.

As for killing babies, Bob, I personally wonder how many of them die of starvation because they're born to impoverished parents who can't afford to feed them, yet do not practice birth control because their church tells them it's wrong? Just a thought...

Rausch
08-09-2001, 08:10 PM
I hate to throw my 2 cents in because I HATE religous arguments.

There is no way to argue an opinion when a person answers "you just have to have faith." or sometining similar.

I don't believe in God. That may not be accurate, I should say that I don't believe in the God of most Christian/Jewish/Muslim religons.

I would love to find a way to use the organs of executed criminals, aborted fetuses, or any other deceased person to HELP THE LIVING STAY THAT WAY. This research can help find not only a cure, but as treatment for living persons. The dead are dead, doesn't matter what you think about how they died. They're dead. It's not that person anymore, it's rotting flesh. You might as well make as much a positive out of a negative as you can.

Let's use someone elses' poor decision to help further life, not condenm even more individuals because we disagree with a death that we can not prevent.

Bwana
08-09-2001, 08:53 PM
Good for Bush~

Raiderhader
08-09-2001, 08:58 PM
I have not taken the time to understand stem cell research or what it is all about. If someone could fill me in real quick I could have an opinion, but until then I am opinionless.

Hader,
I haven't been able to say that too many times in my life

Raiderhader
08-09-2001, 09:38 PM
It has been so long since I have heard Rush that i decided to pop over to his website and see what has been happening, and I came across this -

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_080901/content/fruit.guest.html (Stem Cell Research)

Now if this is the case and umbilical cords are richer in in stem cells, than why go even make an issue out of the embryo side and go with the umbilical cord? (I have a theory, but I am not yet ready to share it)

Hader,
still doesn't know enought to decide

Rausch
08-09-2001, 09:41 PM
Dead link man...

:mad:

AustinChief
08-09-2001, 09:46 PM
raiderhader,

Stem cell research is mediacal research that *requires* the use of undifferentiated stem cells from fetuses... the key to the whole research issue is that the cells are UNdifferentiated... which means that they can develop into ANY cell (liver, skin, brain, etc) in the human body.

Everyone (pretty much) agrees that the research can be extremely valuable to medical science. The problem centers around where the cells have to come from...

Generally they DON't come from aborted fetuses...BUT the implication is that if we do the research and it becomes valuable enough that we find the need for more and more stem cells...than we would start "harvesting" stem cells from fetuses...

This (in my opinion) is very bad logic... it may be true... but to start legislating based on vague possibilities is pretty shady... To me, its the same type of thinking that gives us bad gun control laws ...

--Kyle

OH and here are a few links
http://www.cnn.com/1999/HEALTH/12/01/stem.cell/
www.nih.gov/news/stemcell/stemfactsheet.htm
usnews.about.com/cs/stemcellresearch/

Raiderhader
08-09-2001, 09:51 PM
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_080901/content/fruit.guest.html

Brad, try that.

Austin,
thanks for the quick info. I guess my question goes back to my last post, if there is a better place to get the cells, and it also happens to be less contraversial, why make an issue out of this?

Clint in Wichita
08-10-2001, 08:09 AM
Why on Earth would you care what a buffoon like Limbaugh, or even an intelligent man like G. Gordon Liddy, thinks about a scientific subject like stem cell research?

They are simply giving their opinions. They are no more qualified to comment on this issue than you or I. They are simply following party "guidelines" & playing to their listeners when they cry about murdering potential humans.

The guy is a DJ with a good "hook". He's like Howard Stern, but his gimmick is slinging mud at Democrats instead of huge, artificial hooters and retards.

TEX
08-10-2001, 08:39 AM
I'm glad he did it, but wasn't he "against" it while seeking office?:confused:

AustinChief
08-10-2001, 08:51 AM
raiderhader,

The difference is this... taking stem cells from an embryo is proven to work... taken stem cells from umbilical cord blood...is a theory. Scientists ARE actively pursuing other options... BUT it took YEARS to perfect the method of extracting stem cells from embryos... AND it will probably take just as long (if it is even possible... and most doubt that it is) to perfect a process for using umbilical cord stem cells. I agree wholeheartedly that other sources are the way to go... but for now this is all we have ... AND we could wait a lifetime while we look for other sources...

SO, in my opinion, I'm pretty proud of W. for his decision... a tough one to make.

--Kyle