PDA

View Full Version : Melatonin anyone else take it?

MIAdragon
03-22-2008, 09:39 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Iíve had a really hard time falling asleep for the past few years. A good friend recommended Melatonin so what the heck Id give it a shot. It seems to work but who knows it could be the ďplaceboĒ effect. Anyway Iíve read online that it can make your dreams more vivid. Holy crap my dreams have been insane Im seeing people that I havenít even thought about in 10 years the dreams arenít violent or gory in anyway its just creepy. Anyone else use it?

blueballs
03-22-2008, 09:47 AM
alien mind control

jiveturkey
03-22-2008, 10:35 AM
I took it when I had the same issue and I slept well except for all of the crazy dreams waking me up.

mrpopo
03-22-2008, 11:24 AM
so the dreams are that bad? is this stuff over the counter? :hmmm:

RedandGold
03-22-2008, 11:28 AM
I tried it for a while when I was having trouble falling asleep, but it didn't seem to help. Very strange about the dream thing...at least you're asleep to have them! :)

Mosbonian
03-22-2008, 11:31 AM
We have used small doses of it to help my son sleep better. Whenever he has had an episode and is wired, we give him either 1 mg or 3 mg depending on how wired he is and he always sleeps better. He has never complained about having weird dreams.

mmaddog

BigVE
03-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Didn't work for me. Tylenol PM works but DID give me the dream thing.

elvomito
03-22-2008, 02:20 PM
it works for me and lots of people i know. only thing is, it makes me wake up early also, as soon as daylight comes in the room

Pestilence
03-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I just take Tylenol PM. I'd rather not have any weirder dreams then I'm already having right now.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-22-2008, 02:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Iíve had a really hard time falling asleep for the past few years. A good friend recommended Melatonin so what the heck Id give it a shot. It seems to work but who knows it could be the ďplaceboĒ effect. Anyway Iíve read online that it can make your dreams more vivid. Holy crap my dreams have been insane Im seeing people that I havenít even thought about in 10 years the dreams arenít violent or gory in anyway its just creepy. Anyone else use it?

I took Melatonin and had zero problems with it. I don't think it works worth a shit, but hey, even if it's the placebo effect who gives a shit? You're sleeping.

elvomito
03-22-2008, 02:36 PM
I took Melatonin and had zero problems with it. I don't think it works worth a shit, but hey, even if it's the placebo effect who gives a shit? You're sleeping.melatonin's already in your brain. some people just need more, try taking a handful

Braincase
03-22-2008, 02:38 PM
I take Melatonin when I travel internationally. Helps my body clock adjust to time changes.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-22-2008, 02:43 PM
melatonin's already in your brain. some people just need more, try taking a handful

Will I wake up? :)

elvomito
03-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Will I wake up? :)probably!
i know someone who takes two 3mg tablets every night, so far nothing out of the ordinary
i think i'll try it and see if i dream more vivid... that might have been the cause for a few nights of wild dreams (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4624268&postcount=18) a few weeks ago, they were pretty lucid.

Pestilence
03-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Do you have to get a prescription or is it over the counter? I'm dumb when it comes to this stuff.

Recommended dosage? Time you should take it before you want to go to sleep?

alanm
03-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Do you have to get a prescription or is it over the counter? I'm dumb when it comes to this stuff.

Recommended dosage? Time you should take it before you want to go to sleep?
In the Vitamin section. Read the label...duh. :D

Bearcat
03-22-2008, 03:54 PM
I took it in college... it seemed to work for falling asleep, but I did have really vivid dreams. In the only one I remember, I was standing in a clearing in the woods and it was really windy... something big was blowing my way but I couldn't make it out. It landed at my feet. I looked down and it was my older brother. It was pretty creepy, and very real.

I used it for a couple of weeks, but couldn't ever fall back asleep after waking up from the dreams.

probably!

LMAO

Braincase
03-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Only problem with it I had was sometimes I'd show videos and have to dim the lights... then I'd want to crash hard when the lights went down.

keg in kc
03-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Speaking of dreams, I've recently switched my sleep schedule around to where I'm sleeping when most everybody else does, and I'm having the most vivid dreams (many of them nightmares). I guess I don't dream at all when I'm doing the day-sleeping thing, or if I do I don't remember them, but damn, this has made for some rough mornings this week.

Although this morning's crop of dreams all seemed to be of the hot chick infatuated with me variety, which was a welcome change from the aliens eating my brains.

ClevelandBronco
03-22-2008, 04:18 PM
I haven't tried melatonin. I have used valerian root. It smells horrible, but it has worked for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_%28herb%29

beach tribe
03-22-2008, 06:18 PM
probably!
i know someone who takes two 3mg tablets every night, so far nothing out of the ordinary
i think i'll try it and see if i dream more vivid... that might have been the cause for a few nights of wild dreams (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4624268&postcount=18) a few weeks ago, they were pretty lucid.

So you realized you were dreaming during the dream?

I think those are some of the most amazing experiences Iv'e ever had, and my life is far from devoid of amazing experiences.

chagrin
03-22-2008, 07:50 PM
I just take Tylenol PM. I'd rather not have any weirder dreams then I'm already having right now.

Tylenol PM can give you restless legs too, just a side note

Tribal Warfare
03-22-2008, 07:53 PM
try 3 benadryl capsules , it will knock your ass right out

bowener
03-22-2008, 08:41 PM
I used it a lot in the past, but i will use it from time to time now. definately have awesome dreams on it though!

Fish
03-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Have you guys tried whiskey?

elvomito
03-22-2008, 09:22 PM
So you realized you were dreaming during the dream?

I think those are some of the most amazing experiences Iv'e ever had, and my life is far from devoid of amazing experiences.i think so. i was controlling my actions but the subject matter was centered on unresolved questions from a few days before. i remember thinking during the dream, how oddly some documents were colored, and how vivid some blue pen ink was. and some red lights too.

i've got some 5-htp. i'll try one of each tonight
Melatonin increases non-REM sleep and makes it easier for you
to fall asleep. But it has also an interesting rebound effect that gives more frequent and
vivid dreams. The vividness might even give you a lucid dream.

5-HTP (5-Hydroxy-TryptoPhan) is a Serotonin precursor that also flows quite easy through the
brain's blood barrier. It is a good alternative to Melatonin.

RedDread
03-22-2008, 09:25 PM
I used it when I got back from Iraq and was having trouble falling asleep. My dreams were only vivid when I slept while the sun was up. I solved it by shuttering my windows to block out morning sunlight. It worked like a charm and I adjusted well without it as well. I used it for about 2 months and stopped when I began sleeping normally again.

BigOlChiefsfan
03-22-2008, 09:59 PM
I use melatonin during travel, and anytime that my 'circadian rhythym and blues' are out of whack. I use it with benedryl (which is the sleep agent in tylenol PM) usually one of each and I take both an hour or so before I want to go to sleep. A few nights is all I generally need it, but it's not a big deal to take for months if you need it.

listopencil
03-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I use it when my sleep schedule gets out of whack. My shifts start at 5AM and I have to be able to get to sleep. I'm thinking about using a nicotine patch while I take them to see if I can ramp up the intensity of my dreams. If I go all "Altered States" I'll post pics. If I still have fingers, that is.

RedDread
03-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I've heard that Chantix has a 10-15% rate of vivid dreams for those who take it.

listopencil
03-22-2008, 10:06 PM
http://www.alexalienart.com/AlteredStates2.JPG

elvomito
03-22-2008, 10:19 PM
!~@#
you bastard!
you deserve to dream of a nekkid rhonda moss.

ever seen "from beyond" from hp lovecreaft? its a classic. that pic reminds me a lot of it (http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/from-beyond-horror-movie-poster.jpg)

UL Washington
03-22-2008, 11:53 PM
What does Goatse take for his Hep C? That could help.

memyselfI
03-23-2008, 07:58 AM
I used to take it but stopped because of the weird dreams. I concur with the benadryl tablets though it's two that knock me out. It's safe to use at that dosage and unlike Melatonin it's FDA regulated.

milkman
03-23-2008, 08:01 AM
I used to take it but stopped because of the weird dreams. I concur with the benadryl tablets though it's two that knock me out. It's safe to use at that dosage and unlike Melatonin it's FDA regulated.

You mean wet dreams about Rich Gannon, don't you?

memyselfI
03-23-2008, 08:30 AM
You mean wet dreams about Rich Gannon, don't you?

Uh, no. And why would I want to stop those? :spock: ;)

No, scary shit dreams like seeing my ignore list naked... :eek:

Fairplay
03-23-2008, 08:48 AM
All melatonin does for me is put me in a state of somnolence. That is feeling sleepy and ready to fall asleep, but never get there.

It teases you like it's going to go to sleep. Thats why i don't like the product.

Joie
03-23-2008, 08:51 AM
My mom used to give Melatonin to her dog. She had a 17 year old poodle that began to have trouble sleeping in the last few years of his life.

I like Benadryl for when I can't sleep. Never more than 2, though because two knocks me out all night.

MIAdragon
03-23-2008, 09:38 AM
For some reason if I take just about anything ďPMĒ even Nyquil is seems to keep me awake. This seems to help Im going to check out valerian root.

Fat Elvis
03-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Cut back your blue-light intake after 4pm. The blue-light spectrum is how the body tells the difference between night and day. Unfortunately, most of our artificial lighting is blue-light heavy. To counter this, I recommend using amber tinted glasses. Not just any amber glasses will do as they are not created equal and don't filter out the blue spectrum as well as others. I use Solar-Shield glasses from Walgreen's; they work if you can find them. Otherwise, try this site: https://www.lowbluelights.com/

Even a small amount of blue light can mess up your natural melatonin production if you are sensitive to it. What that means for you is that at night, you really need a dark bedroom, no night lights, no TV, even your alarm clock should have red numbers in stead of the blue or green numbers.

I have become a big believer in manipulating your light intake and how it affects your body and its natural rythymns. Here are some interesting articles for your perusal....

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060527/bob9.asp

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1203518556682&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060107/bob9.asp

http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2007/12/cancer-on-the-night-shift-why-workers-are-at-risk/

MIAdragon
03-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Even a small amount of blue light can mess up your natural melatonin production if you are sensitive to it. What that means for you is that at night, you really need a dark bedroom, no night lights, no TV, even your alarm clock should have red numbers in stead of the blue or green numbers.

Its funny you bring this up, I cant sleep with ANY light infact my bedroom window is blacked out and I even throw a pillow on our alarm clock. Thanks for the links.