PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon Exhaustive review *does* find links between Saddam and al Qaida afterall

patteeu
03-22-2008, 12:27 PM
While the actual document (http://a.abcnews.com/images/pdf/Pentagon_Report_V1.pdf) does have a line in the executive summary saying that no "smoking gun" was found to indicate a cooperative relationship between Saddam and al Qaeda, the report goes on to document an incredible number of cooperative relationships between Saddam and terrorists, both secular pan Arabic revolutionaries to islamic radicals bent on religious jihad.

Among the terrorists the report ties Saddam to is an organization known as the Egyptian Islamic Jihad. The report quotes a memo written in 1993 documenting some of these cooperative relationships, including the one with EIJ:

[18 March 1993]

We list herein the organizations that our agency [IIS] cooperates with and have relations with various elements in many parts of the Arab world and who also have the expertise to carry out assignments indicated in the above directive [the cited directive has not been discovered yet].

Islamic Jihad Organization [Egyptian Islamic Jihad]

In a meeting in the Sudan we agreed to renew our relations with the Islamic Jihad Organization in Egypt. Our information on the group is as follows:

It was established in 1979.
Its goal is to apply the Islamic shari' a law and establish Islamic rule.
It is considered one of the most brutal Egyptian organizations. It carried out numerous successful operations, including the assassination of Sadat.
We have previously met with the organization's representative and we agreed on a plan to carry out commando operations against the Egyptian regime.

In 1991, bin Laden right hand man, Ayman al-Zawahiri took over as the head of EIJ. Throughout the 1990s, Zawahiri and bin Laden worked closely together and in the summer of 2001, Zawahiri and bin Laden merged their organizations. In fact, Egyptians from EIJ made up a good portion of the cadre of the merged organization. For example, the first of the string of "third ranking members of al Qaeda" killed or captured by the US, Mohammed Atef (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Atef), was EIJ. So it's hardly a stretch to say that there was a history of cooperative ties with entities that were not only al Qaeda, but core al Qaeda on the day that the 9/11 attacks occurred.

No one has said that Saddam was involved in the specific plot carried out on 9/11, but his actual ties, including cooperative ties, are well established now. And for anyone concerned with the threat of terrorism against the US on Sept. 12, 2001, they'd be negligent to ignore the overwhelming evidence that Saddam was a long-term, committed terror sponsor with a deep sense of hatred for the US and plenty of connections to al Qaeda to warrant concern that there were collaborative ties either related to 9/11 or to attacks not yet performed.

BigMeatballDave
03-22-2008, 08:23 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r42oejmpkgw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r42oejmpkgw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

banyon
03-22-2008, 08:31 PM
This obscure letter totally makes our sacrifice worth it for sure.

dirk digler
03-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks patteau for posting the link to the document and that info. I have to admit this evidence could be perceived that they were working together because they both had a common enemy and they both ran in the same circles.

I thought the abstract summed it up best

Captured Iraqi documents have uncovered evidence that links the regime of Saddam Hussein to regional and global terrorism, including a
variety of revolutionary, liberation, nationalist, and Islamic terrorist organizations. While these documents do not reveal direct coordination
and assistance between the Saddam regime and the al Qaeda network, they do indicate that Saddam was willing to use, albeit cautiously,
operatives affiliated with al Qaeda as long as Saddam could have these terrorist–operatives monitored closely. Because Saddam’s security
organizations and Osama bin Laden’s terrorist network operated with similar aims (at least in the short term), considerable overlap was
inevitable when monitoring, contacting, financing, and training the same outside groups. This created both the appearance of and, in some
ways, a “de facto” link between the organizations. At times, these organizations would work together in pursuit of shared goals but still
maintain their autonomy and independence because of innate caution and mutual distrust. Though the execution of Iraqi terror plots was not
always successful, evidence shows that Saddam’s use of terrorist tactics and his support for terrorist groups remained strong up until the
collapse of the regime.

patteeu
03-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks patteau for posting the link to the document and that info. I have to admit this evidence could be perceived that they were working together because they both had a common enemy and they both ran in the same circles.

I thought the abstract summed it up best

In light of the links between Saddam and terrorism in general and between Saddam and some of the same people/organizations involved with bin Laden in particular, shouldn't it finally be time for people to admit that just maybe the Bush administration saw Iraq as a real threat to our national security (as opposed to an opportunity to get revenge for the assassination attempt on GHWB or to placate domestic oil executives who secretly planned an Iraq invasion with the Cheney Energy Task Force)? And shouldn't they get some credit for admitting that they didn't have proof that Saddam was involved in 9/11 even though they discussed their suspicions on numerous occasions (now that we know their suspicions had some reasonable basis in fact)?

patteeu
03-22-2008, 10:08 PM
This obscure letter totally makes our sacrifice worth it for sure.

It's more than an obscure letter. I just quoted a few sentences from what critics have called an "exhaustive review". There is actually quite an amazing amount of evidence of Saddam's harboring, sponsoring, and facilitating activities related to terrorism. I've been aware of the 9/11 commission links between Saddam and al Qaeda since that report was released (unlike many who believed the spin that "no evidence of collaborative links" meant "no links"), but even I was surprised at how extensive Saddam's activities were when I looked through the report.

Radar Chief
03-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Kind of figured this was the case when we got the editorialized version of the report two weeks ago.

patteeu
03-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Kind of figured this was the case when we got the editorialized version of the report two weeks ago.

Yeah. It's curious why the WH hasn't done more to publicize a more accurate rendition of the report though. They do a poor job of defending themselves from attacks based on misinformation, IMO.

penguinz
03-24-2008, 09:13 AM
In light of the links between Saddam and terrorism in general and between Saddam and some of the same people/organizations involved with bin Laden in particular, shouldn't it finally be time for people to admit that just maybe the Bush administration saw Iraq as a real threat to our national security (as opposed to an opportunity to get revenge for the assassination attempt on GHWB or to placate domestic oil executives who secretly planned an Iraq invasion with the Cheney Energy Task Force)? And shouldn't they get some credit for admitting that they didn't have proof that Saddam was involved in 9/11 even though they discussed their suspicions on numerous occasions (now that we know their suspicions had some reasonable basis in fact)?

This shows more threat than what you posted.

Russia 'warned U.S. about Saddam'

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Russian intelligence services warned Washington several times that Saddam Hussein's regime planned terrorist attacks against the United States, President Vladimir Putin has said.

The warnings were provided after September 11, 2001 and before the start of the Iraqi war, Putin said Friday.

The planned attacks were targeted both inside and outside the United States, said Putin, who made the remarks during a visit to Kazakhstan.

However, Putin said there was no evidence that Saddam's regime was involved in any terrorist attacks.

"I can confirm that after the events of September 11, 2001, and up to the military operation in Iraq, Russian special services and Russian intelligence several times received ... information that official organs of Saddam's regime were preparing terrorist acts on the territory of the United States and beyond its borders, at U.S. military and civilian locations," Putin said.

He said the information was given to U.S. intelligence officers and that U.S. President George W. Bush expressed his gratitude to a top Russian intelligence official.

"This information was indeed passed on through our partner channels to our American colleagues and, moreover, President Bush had an opportunity and used this opportunity to personally thank the leader of one of the Russian special services for this information, which he considered to be very important," Putin said.

Putin made his comments in response to a question from reporters seeking clarification on similar statements leaked by an unnamed intelligence officer in a dispatch by the Interfax news agency.

Russia opposed the invasion of Iraq and Putin said Friday the information did not effect its stance on the war.

He said there were international norms and procedures that weren't observed regarding "the use of force in international actions."

Regarding how the information might have been related to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, Putin said, "Whether or not this was sufficient basis to state the United States was acting within the boundaries of self-defense, well, I don't know. This is a separate issue."

The United States, meanwhile, never mentioned the Russian intelligence in its arguments for going to war.

Hours after Putin spoke, Bush addressed troops at Fort Lewis in the U.S. state of Washington, but he didn't react to the Russian leader's remarks.

He repeated his position that Saddam's regime was a threat to the world and that dangers it posed were the grounds for the invasion last year.

"This is a regime which gave cash rewards to families of suicide bombers. This is a regime that sheltered terrorist groups," Bush said.

He also cited Musab Abu al-Zarqawi, the wanted insurgent in Iraq suspected of many terrorist bombings in Iraq, as an "al Qaeda associate."

Asked about Putin's remarks, U.S. National Security Council spokesman Sean McCormack said, "We don't typically comment on intelligence matters. We do have an excellent record of cooperation in the war on terror with the Russian government. And a big part of the cooperation is information and intelligence sharing."

Putin's comments come two days after members of a U.S. commission looking into the September 11 attacks found there was "no collaborative" relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

The panel also found "no credible evidence" that Iraq was involved in the September 11 terrorist attacks carried out by al Qaeda hijackers.

Bush and his vice president, Dick Cheney, have strongly disputed suggestions that the commission's conclusions contradict statements they made in the run-up to the Iraq war about links between Iraq and al Qaeda.

Cheney said Thursday the evidence is "overwhelming" that al Qaeda had a relationship with Saddam's regime. He said media reports suggesting that the 9/11 commission has reached a contradictory conclusion were "irresponsible." (Full story)

Bush, who has said himself that there is no evidence Iraq was involved in 9/11, sought to explain the distinction Thursday.

The president said that while the administration never "said that the 9/11 attacks were orchestrated" with Iraqi help, "we did say there were numerous contacts between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda."

"The reason I keep insisting that there was a relationship between Iraq and Saddam and al Qaeda [is] because there was a relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda," Bush said. (Full story)

In the lead-up to the Iraq war, Bush made stronger statements alleging cooperation between Iraq and al Qaeda.

In a October 2002 speech he said, "Iraq has trained al Qaeda members in bomb-making and poisons and deadly gases."

The 9/11 commission's report said bin Laden "explored possible cooperation with Iraq during his time in Sudan, despite his opposition to (Saddam) Hussein's secular regime."

It says the contact was pushed by the Sudanese, "to protect their own ties with Iraq," but after bin Laden asked for space in Iraq for training camps, "Iraq apparently never responded."

The report also said, "There have been reports that contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda also occurred after bin Laden had returned to Afghanistan, but they do not appear to have resulted in a collaborative relationship."

CNN Moscow Bureau Chief Jill Dougherty contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/06/18/russia.warning/index.html

SBK
03-24-2008, 03:18 PM
shouldn't it finally be time for people to admit that just maybe the Bush administration saw Iraq as a real threat to our national security

How dare you have the cahones to attribute what Colin Powell said and use it as a way to credit his quotes to Bush! :evil:

jettio
03-24-2008, 03:20 PM
It is heartening to see that these mock conventrions for the Flat Earth Society get so little traffic.

patteeu
03-24-2008, 03:43 PM
It is heartening to see that these mock conventrions for the Flat Earth Society get so little traffic.

I'm glad to see you stopped by. No more excuses for saying that the war in Iraq isn't logically a part of the GWoT and no more excuses for pretending that Bush didn't have a reason to be concerned about a Saddam/al Qaeda nexus.

Logical
03-24-2008, 04:34 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j112/artmeister/megaeyeroll.gif

Logical
03-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Wow and tomorrow Bush will announce that he is a great President and patteeu of course will believe him because Bush of course has no reason to be doubted.

Again
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j112/artmeister/megaeyeroll.gif

Uncle_Ted
03-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Captured Iraqi documents have uncovered evidence that links the regime of Saddam Hussein to regional and global terrorism, including a
variety of revolutionary, liberation, nationalist, and Islamic terrorist organizations. While these documents do not reveal direct coordination
and assistance between the Saddam regime and the al Qaeda network, they do indicate that Saddam was willing to use, albeit cautiously,
operatives affiliated with al Qaeda as long as Saddam could have these terrorist–operatives monitored closely. Because Saddam’s security
organizations and Osama bin Laden’s terrorist network operated with similar aims (at least in the short term), considerable overlap was
inevitable when monitoring, contacting, financing, and training the same outside groups. This created both the appearance of and, in some
ways, a “de facto” link between the organizations. At times, these organizations would work together in pursuit of shared goals but still
maintain their autonomy and independence because of innate caution and mutual distrust. Though the execution of Iraqi terror plots was not
always successful, evidence shows that Saddam’s use of terrorist tactics and his support for terrorist groups remained strong up until the
collapse of the regime.

By these standards the U.S. was probably one of the world's largest supporters of terrorism during the Cold War. The bar is set so low so as to be ridiculous.

jettio
03-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm glad to see you stopped by. No more excuses for saying that the war in Iraq isn't logically a part of the GWoT and no more excuses for pretending that Bush didn't have a reason to be concerned about a Saddam/al Qaeda nexus.

If you had served in the military or if you had otherwise developed a sense of honor you would not think that it is funny to tell lies to start a war you expect to be easy.

It is possible to fight terrorism without creating diversions intended to make contractor friends rich.

If I had Robert Gates job as SecDef I would form a batallion made up of conscripted squat to pees like you and Stephen Hayes and Bill Kristol and every other idiot who is scared sh*tless of defeatable enemies as much as they indifferent to the sacrifice that war requires of others and give you all potato peelers.

a1na2
03-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Wow and tomorrow Bush will announce that he is a great President and patteeu of course will believe him because Bush of course has no reason to be doubted.

Again

One short question. Why the full volumn hatred and disdain for everything related to Bush?

a1na2
03-24-2008, 05:46 PM
If you had served in the military or if you had otherwise developed a sense of honor you would not think that it is funny to tell lies to start a war you expect to be easy.

I think you have grossly misjudged the information that you have had access to. Your apparent hatred of Bush only rivals that of Un-Logical.

Logical
03-24-2008, 07:21 PM
One short question. Why the full volumn hatred and disdain for everything related to Bush?It is not quite everything Bush, definitely everything related to the occupation, and frankly we have not had such an incompetent President and CINC since Jimmy Carter.

patteeu
03-24-2008, 08:25 PM

Again

It's clear to me that you don't care about the truth of the Iraq matter anymore, Ill-Logical. Since you can't be convinced by evidence, you can take it as a given that threads like these aren't really intended for you. You're welcome to participate and demonstrate your lack of seriousness all you want though, of course.

patteeu
03-24-2008, 08:27 PM
By these standards the U.S. was probably one of the world's largest supporters of terrorism during the Cold War. The bar is set so low so as to be ridiculous.

Even if that were true, it's unlikely that we were one of the largest supporters of anti-American terrorism during that time period, which leads me to wonder what relevance your point has?

patteeu
03-24-2008, 08:31 PM

It is possible to fight terrorism without creating diversions intended to make contractor friends rich.

If I had Robert Gates job as SecDef I would form a batallion made up of conscripted squat to pees like you and Stephen Hayes and Bill Kristol and every other idiot who is scared sh*tless of defeatable enemies as much as they indifferent to the sacrifice that war requires of others and give you all potato peelers.

If only I had the honor of you, jettio. The honor to lie about men who are better than you and the honor to undermine the efforts of your country when it's at war solely for political advantage. Boy I wish I was as honorable as you. :rolleyes:

patteeu
03-24-2008, 08:32 PM
I think you have grossly misjudged the information that you have had access to. Your apparent hatred of Bush only rivals that of Un-Logical.

Don't be too hard on him. It's been a while since he was in and I'm confident he spent most of his service time armed with a mop and a bucket.

a1na2
03-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Don't be too hard on him. It's been a while since he was in and I'm confident he spent most of his service time armed with a mop and a bucket.

ROFL

jettio
03-24-2008, 09:33 PM
If only I had the honor of you, jettio. The honor to lie about men who are better than you and the honor to undermine the efforts of your country when it's at war solely for political advantage. Boy I wish I was as honorable as you. :rolleyes:

Who did I lie about? B*sh? You?

Both of you have proven yourselves to believe in getting people slaughtered in the name of pie in the sky utopia sold as fear of exagerrated threats.

jettio
03-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Mitteeu W. Neotard, in which branch did you serve?

a1na2
03-24-2008, 10:06 PM

Both of you have proven yourselves to believe in getting people slaughtered in the name of pie in the sky utopia sold as fear of exagerrated threats.

That is the one most asinine thing I have ever read on this board.

WTC bombed 1993 - exaggerated. kills six and injures over 1000 people, by coalition of five groups: Jamaat Al-Fuqra' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Fuqra%27)/Gamaat Islamiya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Gama%27a_al-Islamiyya)/Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas)/Islamic Jihad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Jihad)/National Islamic Front (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Islamic_Front),

USS Cole bombed - 2000 - exaggerated

Khobar Towers bombing - 1996 - exaggerated

1983 Beirut barracks bombing - 1983 - exaggerated

January 25: Mir Aimal Kansi, a Pakistani, fires an AK-47 assault rifle into cars waiting at a stoplight in front of theCIA headquarters, killing two and injuring three others.

1995 - An Amtrak Sunset Limited train is derailed by anti-government saboteurs near Palo Verde, Arizona. One person is killed and 78 are injured.

1996 Centennial Olympic Park bombing killing one and wounding 111.

1997 United States, February 24: Ali Abu Kamal opens fire on tourists at an observation deck atop the Empire State Building in New York City, killing a Danish national and wounding visitors from the United States, Argentina, Switzerland and France before turning the gun on himself. A handwritten note carried by the gunman claims this was a punishment attack against the "enemies of Palestine". His widow claimed he became suicidal after losing $300,000 in a business venture. In a 2007 interview with the New York Daily News his daughter said her mother's story was a cover crafted by the Palestinian Authority and that her father wanted to punish the United States for its support of Israel.

2000 United States, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_millennium_attack_plots)December 14 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_14): Ahmed Ressam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Ressam) is arrested on the United States-Canada border (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States-Canada_border) in Port Angeles, Washington (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Angeles%2C_Washington); he confessed to planning to bomb the Los Angeles International Airport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_International_Airport) as part of the 2000 millennium attack plots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_millennium_attack_plots)

The following is a timeline of acts and failed attempts that can be considered non-state terrorism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism) in 2001 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001).
Colombia, January 10 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_10): A car bomb wounds at least 50 in a shopping center parking lot in Medellín (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medell%C3%ADn).<sup id="_ref-0" class="reference">[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2001#_note-0)</sup>
Russia, February 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_5): A bomb blast in Moscow's Byelorusskaya metro station (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Metro) injures 15 people.
Serbia, February 18 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_18): Podujevo bus bombing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podujevo_bus_bombing), 13 Serbian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia) civilians are killed by a bomb attack on a bus in Kosovo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo) by Albanian terrorists..
Colombia, March 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1): A bomb destroys a high-voltage pylon leaving vast areas of the country without power for five hours. Attack is blamed on ELN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELN)
United Kingdom, March 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_4): The Real IRA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_IRA) exploded a car bomb outside the BBC's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC) main news centre in London (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London). One London Underground worker suffered deep cuts to his eye from flying glass and some damage was caused to the front of the building.<sup id="_ref-1" class="reference">[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2001#_note-1)</sup> (See 4 March 2001 BBC bombing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4_March_2001_BBC_bombing))
Russia, March 24 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_24): Twenty people die and 93 are injured in three bomb attacks on Russian towns near the border of Chechnya.
Israel, March 26 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_26): 10-months-old Israeli infant Shalhevet Pass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalhevet_Pass) is intentionally and fatally shot in the head by a Palestinian sniper in Hebron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebron).
Colombia, May 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_4): A car bomb kills four and injures 32 in a luxury hotel in Cali (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cali). No group claims the attack.<sup id="_ref-2" class="reference">[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2001#_note-2)</sup>
United Kingdom, May 6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_6): The Real IRA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_IRA) detonate a bomb in a London (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London) postal sorting office. One person was injured.<sup id="_ref-3" class="reference">[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2001#_note-3)</sup>
Colombia, May 17 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_17): A car bomb kills seven and injures at least 50 in a park in Medellín (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medell%C3%ADn).<sup id="_ref-4" class="reference">[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2001#_note-4)</sup>2002
The following is a timeline of acts and failed attempts that can be considered non-state terrorism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism) in 2002 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002).
Singapore: Singapore embassies attack plot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_embassies_attack_plot) foiled.
Pakistan, January: Kidnapping and murder of journalist Daniel Pearl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Pearl) by Pakistani terrorists.
India, January 22 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_22): Gunmen on motorcycles opened fire on guards at the American Center in Kolkata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolkata), killing five people.
Colombia, January 25 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_25): A bomb kills a child and four police officers and injures 28 people in Bogotá (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogot%C3%A1). Rebel group FARC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FARC) is blamed.
Israel, January 25 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_25): 25 people were wounded when a Palestinian suicide bomber detonated explosives outside a cafe on a pedestrian mall near Tel Aviv (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Aviv)'s old central bus station.<sup id="_ref-0" class="reference">[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2002#_note-0)</sup>
Colombia, January 30 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_30): A car bomb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_bomb) kills five and injures 40 in the city of Florencia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florencia) in the department of Caquetá (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caquet%C3%A1). No group claims responsibility.
Israel, January 30 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_30): An 81-year-old man was killed and over 150 people were wounded, four seriously, in a suicide bombing in the center of Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem). The female terrorist, identified as a Fatah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatah) member, was armed with more than 10 kilos of explosives.
Israel, February 16 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_16): Two teenagers were killed and about 30 people were wounded, six seriously, when a suicide bomber blew himself up at a pizzeria in the shopping mall in Karnei Shomron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnei_Shomron). A third person subsequently died of his injuries. The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_Front_for_the_Liberation_of_Palestine) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, February 18 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_18): An Israeli Bedouin policeman was killed by a suicide bomber whom he had stopped for questioning on the Ma'ale Adumim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%27ale_Adumim)-Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem) road. The terrorist succeeded in detonating the bomb in his car. The Fatah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatah) al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Aqsa_Martyrs_Brigades) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, February 27 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_27): A Palestinian suicide bomber blew herself up at a roadblock on the Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem)-Modi'in (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modi%27in) highway, injuring three policemen.
Israel, March 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_2): Eleven people were killed and over 50 were injured, 4 critically, in a suicide bombing near a yeshiva (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshiva) in the center of Jerusalem where people had gathered for a bar-mitzvah (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bar-mitzvah&action=edit&redlink=1) celebration. The terrorist detonated the bomb next to a group of women waiting with their baby carriages for their husbands to leave the nearby synagogue. The Fatah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatah) Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Aqsa_Martyrs_Brigade) took responsibility for the attack.
Israel, March 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_5): One person was killed and a large number injured, most lightly, when a suicide bomber exploded in an Egged (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egged) bus as it entered the Afula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afula) central bus station. The Islamic Jihad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Jihad) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, March 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_7): A suicide bomber blew himself up in the lobby of a hotel in Ariel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel). 15 people were injured, one seriously. The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_Front_for_the_Liberation_of_Palestine) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, March 9 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_9): 11 people were killed and 54 injured, 10 of them seriously, when a suicide bomber exploded in the crowded Moment cafe in the center of Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem). Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, March 17 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_17): A suicide bomber exploded himself near an Egged (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egged) bus at the French Hill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Hill) junction in northern Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem). 25 people were lightly injured.
Israel, March 20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_20): Four soldiers and three others were killed, and about 30 wounded, several seriously, in a suicide bombing of an Egged (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egged) bus near Afula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afula). The Islamic Jihad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Jihad) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Peru, March 21 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_21): At least nine people were killed and 30 injured by a powerful car bomb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_bomb) which went off near the United States embassy in Lima (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lima).
Israel, March 21 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_21): Three people were killed and 86 injured, 3 of them seriously, in a suicide bombing in the center of Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem). The terrorist detonated the bomb, packed with metal spikes and nails, in the center of a crowd of shoppers. The Fatah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatah) Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Aqsa_Martyrs_Brigades) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, March 27 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_27): A Palestinian suicide bomber kills 30 and injures 140 during Passover (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover) festivities in a hotel in Netanya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netanya) in the Passover massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover_massacre).
Israel, March 29 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_29): Two people were killed and 28 injured, two seriously, when a female suicide bomber blew herself up in a supermarket in Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem). The Fatah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatah) Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Aqsa_Martyrs_Brigades) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, March 30 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_30): One person was killed and about 30 people were injured in a suicide bombing in a cafe in Tel-Aviv (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel-Aviv). The Fatah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatah) Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Aqsa_Martyrs_Brigades) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, March 31 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_31): A Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas) suicide bomber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_bomber) kills 15 and injures over 40 in Haifa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haifa) in the Matza restaurant massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matza_restaurant_massacre).
Israel, March 31 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_31): A paramedic and three others were very seriously injured in a suicide bombing at the emergency medical center in Efrat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efrat), south of Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem).
Israel, April 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_1): A police officer was killed in Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem) when a Palestinian suicide bomber blew himself up in his car after being stopped at a roadblock. The Fatah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatah) al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Aqsa_Martyrs_Brigades) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Colombia, April 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_7): Two bombs explode in the restaurant district of Villavicencio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villavicencio), killing twelve and injuring 70. FARC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FARC) is the prime suspect for the attack.<sup id="_ref-1" class="reference">[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2002#_note-1)</sup>
Israel, April 10 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_10): Eight people were killed and 22 injured in a suicide bombing on an Egged (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egged) bus near Kibbutz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbutz) Yagur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagur), east of Haifa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haifa). Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Tunisia, April 11 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_11): A natural gas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas) truck fitted with explosives is driven into a synagogue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synagogue) by an al-Qaeda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda) member, killing 21 and wounding more than 30 in the Ghriba Synagogue Attack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghriba_Synagogue_Attack).
Colombia, April 12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_12): A rocket explodes near the studios of RCN TV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCN_TV) in Bogotá (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogot%C3%A1).<sup id="_ref-2" class="reference">[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2002#_note-2)</sup>
Israel, April 12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_12): Six people were killed and 104 wounded when a woman suicide bomber detonated at the entrance to Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem)'s Mahane Yehuda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahane_Yehuda) open-air market. The Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Aqsa_Martyrs%27_Brigades) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Colombia, April 14 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_14): During an assassination attempt of then-presidential candidate Alvaro Uribe Velez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvaro_Uribe_Velez) a bomb kills two and injures 20 in Barranquilla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barranquilla). Rebel group FARC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FARC) is blamed.
Colombia, April 19 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_19): Two bombs, allegedly placed by FARC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FARC) kill three and injure ten near Cartagena (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartagena%2C_Colombia).
United States, May: Luke Helder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Helder) injures 6 by placing pipebombs in mailboxes in the Midwest. Motivation to protest government control over daily lives and the illegality of marijuana and promotion of astral projection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection)
Colombia, May 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_2): FARC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FARC) launchs a mortar bomb against a church during combats with AUC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AUC), killing at least 117 civilians, 48 of them children in what is known as the Bojayá massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bojay%C3%A1_massacre). Delayed response from the authorities make it impossible to establish a final count, as most of the dead were buried before they could be accounted for.
Israel, May 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_7): 16 people were killed and 55 wounded in a suicide bombing in a crowded game club in Rishon Lezion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rishon_Lezion), southeast of Tel-Aviv (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel-Aviv), which caused part of the building to collapse. Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Pakistan, May 8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_8): May 8 Bus Attack in Karachi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_8_Bus_Attack_in_Karachi) kills eleven Frenchmen and two Pakistanis.
Russia, May 9 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_9): A bomb explosion in Kaspiisk (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kaspiisk&action=edit&redlink=1) in Dagestan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagestan) kills at least 42 people and injures 130 or more during Victory Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Day) festivities.
India, May 13 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_13): Twelve people are killed in the Jaunpur train crash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaunpur_train_crash), caused when Islamic extremists cut the rails.
Israel, May 19 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_19): Three people were killed and 59 injured, 10 seriously, when a suicide bomber, disguised as a soldier, blew himself up in the market in Netanya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netanya). Both Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas) and the PFLP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFLP) took responsibility for the attack.
Israel, May 20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_20): A suicide bomber, apparently bound for Afula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afula), killed himself after policemen approached him for questioning at a bus stop. There were no other injuries.
Israel, May 22 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_22): Two people were killed and about 40 wounded when a suicide bomber detonated himself in downtown Rishon Lezion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rishon_Lezion).
Israel, May 23 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_23): In the 2002 Pi Glilot bombing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Pi_Glilot_bombing), disaster was averted when sprinklers put out a fire after a diesel truck was detonated in a gas depot. The bombing could have caused a chain reaction, killing thousands of people.
Israel, May 24 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_24): A security guard opened fire on a terrorist attempting to ram a car bomb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_bomb) into a disco in Tel Aviv (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Aviv). The terrorist was killed and five Israelis slightly injured when the bomb exploded prematurely.
Israel, May 27 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_27): A grandmother and her infant granddaughter were killed and 37 people were injured, some seriously, when a suicide bomber detonated himself near an ice cream parlor in Petah Tikva (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petah_Tikva). The Fatah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatah) Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Aqsa_Martyrs%27_Brigades) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, June 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_5): 17 people were killed and 38 injured when a car packed with explosives struck an Egged (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egged) bus at the Megiddo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megiddo) junction near Afula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afula). The bus, which burst into flames, was completely destroyed. The terrorist was killed in the blast. The Islamic Jihad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Jihad) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, June 11 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_11): A 14-year-old girl was killed and 15 others were wounded when a Palestinian suicide bomber set off a pipe bomb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_bomb) at a restaurant in Herzliya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herzliya).
Pakistan, June 14 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_14): Car bomb at US Consulate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Karachi_consulate_attack) in Karachi kills twelve.
Israel, June 18 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_18): A Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas) suicide bomber detonates himself on a bus in Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem) in the Patt junction massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patt_junction_massacre). The attack kills 19 people and wounds over 74.
Israel, June 19 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_19): Seven people were killed and 50 injured, three critically, when a suicide bomber blew himself up at the French Hill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Hill) bus stop in northern Jerusalem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem). The Fatah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatah) Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Aqsa_Martyrs_Brigades) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Saudi Arabia, June 20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_20): Car bomb in Riyadh kills Simon Veness, a British national.
Colombia, June 24 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_24): A grenade, allegedly thrown by FARC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FARC) members, injures six police officers in Bogotá (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogot%C3%A1).
United States, July 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_4): An Egyptian gunman opens fire at an El Al ticket counter in Los Angeles International Airport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_International_Airport), killing two Israelis before being killed himself.
Israel, July 16 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_16): Nine people were killed and 20 injured in a terrorist attack on a bus traveling from Bnei Brak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bnei_Brak) to Emmanuel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel). An explosive charge was detonated next to the bullet-resistant bus. The terrorists waited in ambush, reportedly wearing Israeli army uniforms, and opened fire on the bus. While four terror organizations claimed responsibility for the attack, it was apparently carried out by the same Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas) cell which carried out the attack in Emmanuel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel) on Dec 12, 2001.
Israel, July 17 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_17): Five people were killed - two Israeli and three foreign workers - and about 40 were injured, four seriously, in a double suicide bombing on Neve Shaanan Street near the old central bus station in Tel Aviv. The Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the attack.*
Colombia, July 28 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_28): A carbomb partially destroys government buildings in Cali (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cali). FARC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FARC) is blamed for the attack. No casualties.
Israel, July 30 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_30): Five people suffered light to moderate injuries in a suicide bombing at a felafel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felafel) stand in central Jerusalem. The bomber, who was killed, apparently exploded prematurely.
Israel, July 31 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_31): Nine people were killed and 85 wounded, 14 of them seriously, when a bomb exploded in the Frank Sinatra student center cafeteria on the Hebrew University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_University)'s Mt. Scopus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Scopus) campus. The explosive device was planted inside the cafeteria, which was gutted by the explosion. Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, August 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_4): Nine people were killed and some 50 wounded in a suicide bombing of an Egged (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egged) bus at the Meron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meron) junction in the Galilee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galilee). Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, August 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_5): A bomb exploded in a car at the Umm al-Fahm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umm_al-Fahm) junction in northern Israel, killing the terrorist and wounding the driver, an Arab Israeli resident of Nazareth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazareth).
Colombia, August 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_7): Three round of mortars are fired against an Army base in Bogotá (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogot%C3%A1), injuring six. FARC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FARC) is blamed for the attack.<sup id="_ref-CNN070802_0" class="reference">[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2002#_note-CNN070802)</sup>
Colombia, August 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_7): Four rounds of mortars are fired against the Presidential Palace in Bogotá (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogot%C3%A1) during the inauguration ceremony of President Alvaro Uribe Velez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvaro_Uribe_Velez). 13 people, mostly homeless, die and 50 are wounded when some of the rounds hit slums in downtown Bogotá (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogot%C3%A1). FARC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FARC) is blamed.<sup id="_ref-CNN070802_1" class="reference">[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2002#_note-CNN070802)</sup>
India, September 10 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_10): A train derailment kills 130 people in the Rafiganj rail disaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafiganj_rail_disaster). Naxalite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naxalite) terrorism is suspected.
Israel, September 18 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_18): A policeman was killed and three people were wounded in a suicide bombing at a bus stop at the Umm al-Fahm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umm_al-Fahm) junction. The terrorist, who was apparently planning to detonate the bomb after boarding a bus, set the charge off early when approached for questioning. The Islamic Jihad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Jihad) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, September 19 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_19): Six people were killed and about 70 wounded when a terrorist detonated a bomb in a bus opposite the Great Synagogue in Tel-Aviv (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel-Aviv). Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas) claimed responsbility for the attack.
India, September 25 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_25): Two terrorists belonging to the Jaish-e-Mohammed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaish-e-Mohammed) group raid the Akshardham temple complex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akshardham_Gandhinagar) in Armedabad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmedabad), killing 30 people and injuring many more.
United States, October: John Allen Muhammad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Allen_Muhammad) and Lee Boyd Malvo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Boyd_Malvo) conduct the Beltway Sniper Attacks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway_Sniper_Attacks), killing ten people in various locations throughout the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore-Washington_Metropolitan_Area) from October 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2) until they are arrested on October 24 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_24).
Yemen, October 6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_6): Limburg tanker bombing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburg_tanker_bombing).
Israel, October 10 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_10): One man was killed and about 30 people were wounded when a suicide bomber blew himself up while trying to board a bus across from Bar-Ilan University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar-Ilan_University) on the Geha highway. Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Finland, October 11 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_11): Myyrmanni bombing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myyrmanni_bombing) in shopping mall at Vantaa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantaa). Killing seven and injuring 80.
Indonesia, October 12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_12): Bali bombing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Bali_bombing) of holidaymakers kills 202 people, mostly Western tourists and local Balinese hospitality staff.
Philippines, October 17 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_17): Zamboanga bombings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamboanga_bombings) kill six and wounds about 150.
Philippines, October 18 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_18): A bus bomb in Manila (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila) kills three people and wounds 22.
Russia, October 19 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_19): A car bomb explodes outside a McDonald's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s) Corp. restaurant in Moscow, killing one person and wounding five.
Israel, October 21 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_21): 14 people were killed and some 50 wounded when a car bomb containing about 100 kilograms of explosives was detonated next to an intercity bus, while traveling along Wadi Ara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadi_Ara) toward Hadera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadera). The bus had pulled over at a bus stop when the suicide bomber, driving a jeep, approached from behind and exploded. The Islamic Jihad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Jihad) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Colombia, October 22 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_22): A bomb kills three and wounds at least eleven in Bogotá (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogot%C3%A1). No claims are made for the attack.<sup id="_ref-3" class="reference">[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2002#_note-3)</sup>
Russia, October 23 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_23): Moscow theater hostage crisis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis) begins; 120 hostages and 40 terrorists killed in rescue three days later.
Colombia, November 19 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_19): Police deactivate a bomb left by ELN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELN) members in front of newspaper La Opinion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Opinion) in Cúcuta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%BAcuta).<sup id="_ref-4" class="reference">[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2002#_note-4)</sup>
Israel, October 27 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_27): Three soldiers were killed and about 20 people were wounded in a suicide bombing in Ariel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel). The victims were killed while trying to prevent the terrorist from detonating the bomb. The terrorist was identified as a member of Hamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas).
Israel, November 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_4): An Israeli security guard and a teenage boy, both recent immigrants from Argentina, were killed and about 70 were wounded in a suicide bombing at a shopping mall in Kfar Sava (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kfar_Sava). The Islamic Jihad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Jihad) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Israel, November 21 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_21): Hamas orchestrates the Jerusalem bus 20 massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_bus_20_massacre). Eleven people were killed and over 50 wounded when a suicide bomber detonated on a crowded bus in central Jerusalem.
Kenya, November 28 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_28): Kenyan hotel bombing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenyan_hotel_bombing).
Colombia, December 9 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_9): A car bomb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_bomb) injures 50 in western Bogotá (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogot%C3%A1). Authorities blame FARC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FARC).
Colombia, December 13 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_13): A package bomb injures 32 on the 30th floor of the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown Bogotá (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogot%C3%A1). No groups claim responsibility.<sup id="_ref-AFP171202_0" class="reference">[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2002#_note-AFP171202)</sup>
Colombia, December 17 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_17): A bomb blast kills one and injures 20 in Neiva (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neiva). The bomb was placed outside the building of the National Telecommunications Company, Telecom Colombia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecom_Colombia). Authorities suspect FARC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FARC) is responsible for the attack.<sup id="_ref-AFP171202_1" class="reference">[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_2002#_note-AFP171202)</sup>
India, December 21 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_21): Kurnool train crash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurnool_train_crash), Islamic extremists derail a train and kill 20 people.
Russia, December 27 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_27): The truck bombing of the Chechen parliament in Grozny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grozny) kills 83 people.There's more, yup. Everything is unsubstantiated and bubble headed swab jockies really know everything there is to know about terrorism.

a1na2
03-24-2008, 10:07 PM

Which service are you claiming you served honorably in?

Logical
03-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Which service are you claiming you served honorably in?Jettio was a Submariner, his brother DanT has more than once verified this fact and I am pretty sure you can still find posts about it on the BB.

a1na2
03-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Jettio was a Submariner, his brother DanT has more than once verified this fact and I am pretty sure you can still find posts about it on the BB.

Knew that macaroon. Just waiting for his witty comeback. Had the discussion before. Deck jockey on a submarine is nothing to brag about.

Logical
03-24-2008, 10:50 PM
It's clear to me that you don't care about the truth of the Iraq matter anymore, Ill-Logical. Since you can't be convinced by evidence, you can take it as a given that threads like these aren't really intended for you. You're welcome to participate and demonstrate your lack of seriousness all you want though, of course.Well thank you. By the way, I think there was sufficient grounds to take out Saddam without the lies about WMDs and irrelevant and silly links about AQ. I just think the occupation has been a disaster, we should have left after we got Saddam.

By the way in retrospect I admit I now believe we would be better served with a contained Saddam than the chaos that now exists and that will only get worse once we finally realize this is leading to financial ruin and withdraw.

a1na2
03-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Well thank you. By the way, I think there was sufficient grounds to take out Saddam without the lies about WMDs and irrelevant and silly links about AQ. I just think the occupation has been a disaster, we should have left after we got Saddam.

By the way in retrospect I admit I now believe we would be better served with a contained Saddam than the chaos that now exists and that will only get worse once we finally realize this is leading to financial ruin and withdraw.

I recommend that you donate more in taxes this year. You obviously feel more money is needed to complete the mission. You give 20% of your take and I'll give 2% of mine.

patteeu
03-25-2008, 05:54 AM

Probably both of us, but I was referring to Bush.

patteeu
03-25-2008, 05:57 AM

I thought you said I didn't serve at all, as if you already knew that that was the case. Is this an admission that you speak without any concern for the facts? Yeah, I think that's exactly what it is.

patteeu
03-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Well thank you. By the way, I think there was sufficient grounds to take out Saddam without the lies about WMDs and irrelevant and silly links about AQ. I just think the occupation has been a disaster, we should have left after we got Saddam.

Irrelevant and silly links to AQ? WTF?

The rest of your post, which amounts to nothing more than Monday Morning Quarterbacking is duly noted.

Messier
03-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Anybody else watching Bush's War on PBS? It's very good, they are talking to the people involved about the run up to the war. It's not just opinions from the media or some conspiracy theories. It's the people that were in the rooms when decisions were made. It's rather frighting.

patteeu
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Anybody else watching Bush's War on PBS? It's very good, they are talking to the people involved about the run up to the war. It's not just opinions from the media or some conspiracy theories. It's the people that were in the rooms when decisions were made. It's rather frighting.

Does anyone in the program confirm or deny that Saddam's regime had cooperative ties with, among others, Ayman al Zawahiri's Egyptian Islamic Jihad at the same time that the EIJ was working hand in glove with Osama bin Laden's group and just prior to the time when the two groups officially merged in what was essentially a friendly EIJ takeover?

tiptap
03-25-2008, 09:05 AM
What we are saying is that it was a connection that might need to be monitored. But that it justified war is something else. The people making the decisions believed that we were the only Super Power left militarily. To the degree that we could move without consequence on our own, independently. They were wedded to the 19th Century notion of world power invested in Western Civilization in the 21st Century of wider independent world order. They have overestimated what the military can accomplish without hurting the US itself.

patteeu
03-25-2008, 09:46 AM
What we are saying is that it was a connection that might need to be monitored. But that it justified war is something else. The people making the decisions believed that we were the only Super Power left militarily. To the degree that we could move without consequence on our own, independently. They were wedded to the 19th Century notion of world power invested in Western Civilization in the 21st Century of wider independent world order. They have overestimated what the military can accomplish without hurting the US itself.

Do you recognize the statement above (assuming it really can be attributed to your fellow Bush critics) is a move away from the "Bush lied us into war" line that has been so popular?

I don't have nearly as much problem with the people who, looking back on the reasons for going to war and the results, want to say it was a mistake. I have a big problem with the people who continue to say that the Bush administration lied us into war long after it's become pretty obvious that they had a pretty reasonable foundation for everything they claimed (despite some of it turning out to be wrong in the end).

dirk digler
03-25-2008, 10:48 AM

Not from me they won't. I always felt from day one that Iraq was a shell of its former self and and that they couldn't hurt anyone. It appears my judgment on that was right.

patteeu
03-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Not from me they won't. I always felt from day one that Iraq was a shell of its former self and and that they couldn't hurt anyone. It appears my judgment on that was right.

They weren't going to invade and occupy the US if that's what you mean, but then neither was Libya (when it's terror proxies downed the Pan Am flight over Scotland) or Iran (when it's terror proxies blew up the military dorms in Saudi Arabia), or even, al Qaeda for that matter. Surely Saddam could have afforded 19 box cutters and some spending money if he'd been enterprising enough though. :shrug:

Messier
03-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Does anyone in the program confirm or deny that Saddam's regime had cooperative ties with, among others, Ayman al Zawahiri's Egyptian Islamic Jihad at the same time that the EIJ was working hand in glove with Osama bin Laden's group and just prior to the time when the two groups officially merged in what was essentially a friendly EIJ takeover?

It's more than one part and so far they focus alot on Colin Powell. How he was put in a tough position of being the one out in front to make the case for the war yet he wasn't being given enough evidence for the invasion. He continually asked for meetings with Bush, but Rice would only allow him to meet with Bush and Dick Cheney together. He thought it was odd that Cheney was the only one making decisions in that meeting. And he thought it was odd that the Secretary of State was having to go through Condoleezza Rice to get a meeting with Bush.

I do want to ask why now five years in we have a connection yet five years ago we didn't. Why wasn't the administration trumpeting this connection all during these last five years. I think they could have quieted alot of debate by presenting evidence of a connection. Yet when pressed about a connection they never stated any of this.

dirk digler
03-25-2008, 11:35 AM
They weren't going to invade and occupy the US if that's what you mean, but then neither was Libya (when it's terror proxies downed the Pan Am flight over Scotland) or Iran (when it's terror proxies blew up the military dorms in Saudi Arabia), or even, al Qaeda for that matter. Surely Saddam could have afforded 19 box cutters and some spending money if he'd been enterprising enough though. :shrug:

Well by that standard we should attack every country. We should only start a war or attack a country if they pose eminent danger to us. IMHO Iraq didn't.

tiptap
03-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Do you recognize the statement above (assuming it really can be attributed to your fellow Bush critics) is a move away from the "Bush lied us into war" line that has been so popular?

I don't have nearly as much problem with the people who, looking back on the reasons for going to war and the results, want to say it was a mistake. I have a big problem with the people who continue to say that the Bush administration lied us into war long after it's become pretty obvious that they had a pretty reasonable foundation for everything they claimed (despite some of it turning out to be wrong in the end).

Then like your opinion piece that reporting affects the radicals, the same can be said here. You are the most frequent poster on Bush lying. You push the discussion in that direction. I don't care whether he lied or didn't. He was so wrong in either case and chose to act so disapportionately as to put both his aims and our ability to prosper economically at risk. Essentially he let Osama treat us just like the Soviets. Got us involved in a ground war in which drains us in areas that have little reward. DEAR PRICE FOR SO LITTLE GAIN. This is the central theme MOST Democrats see. Not your petty wish to have the discussion about reading Bush's mind.

Radar Chief
03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
I do want to ask why now five years in we have a connection yet five years ago we didn't. Why wasn't the administration trumpeting this connection all during these last five years. I think they could have quieted alot of debate by presenting evidence of a connection. Yet when pressed about a connection they never stated any of this.

Because they didn’t have all of this.
Reread the article, lots of information that leads to these conclusions was captured from Iraq post invasion.

Radar Chief
03-25-2008, 12:05 PM
We should only start a war or attack a country if they pose eminent danger to us. IMHO Iraq didn't.

Neither did Afghanistan, yet you support that invasion.

patteeu
03-25-2008, 12:13 PM
It's more than one part and so far they focus alot on Colin Powell. How he was put in a tough position of being the one out in front to make the case for the war yet he wasn't being given enough evidence for the invasion. He continually asked for meetings with Bush, but Rice would only allow him to meet with Bush and Dick Cheney together. He thought it was odd that Cheney was the only one making decisions in that meeting. And he thought it was odd that the Secretary of State was having to go through Condoleezza Rice to get a meeting with Bush.

1. I think that administration has done a poor job of defending itself on topics like this.

2. I don't think this specific information was necessarily available to the administration at the outset of the war because it is based on captured Iraqi documents.

3. There was public confirmation that the administration had an abundance of evidence of links (even if not the specific one in my OP) between Saddam and al Qaeda in the 9/11 report. Those reports of links were overshadowed by the howls from anti-war obfuscaters who latched onto the language indicating that no proof of collaborative links was found.

patteeu
03-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Well by that standard we should attack every country. We should only start a war or attack a country if they pose eminent danger to us. IMHO Iraq didn't.

Fortunately, the Bush administration is a bit more selective than that. BTW, "that standard" doesn't imply that there must be an attack on every country that could be a threat. It just acknowledges the fact that a country doesn't have to be capable of an invasion of the US to be a real threat to Americans.

jettio
03-25-2008, 02:26 PM
I thought you said I didn't serve at all, as if you already knew that that was the case. Is this an admission that you speak without any concern for the facts? Yeah, I think that's exactly what it is.

Mitteeu W. Neotard, my previous post was primarily a vehicle for the launching of your new nom de guerre, oops excuse me, I forgot again that you never served, your new nom de paix.

jettio
03-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Knew that macaroon. Just waiting for his witty comeback. Had the discussion before. Deck jockey on a submarine is nothing to brag about.

You remind me of a busboy. You bring so little to the chiefs planet table but you take away the plates.

I am going to do myself a favor and put you on my ignore list. You can keep reading my posts if you like, but I will not be reading yours. Thanks.