PDA

View Full Version : Gallup: Obama Retakes Lead Over Hillary

jAZ
03-22-2008, 11:29 PM
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/03/gallup_obama_retakes_lead_over.php

Gallup: Obama Retakes Lead Over Hillary
By Eric Kleefeld - March 22, 2008, 5:12PM

Today's Gallup tracking poll shows Barack Obama retaking the national lead over Hillary Clinton, after the Jeremiah Wright scandal had badly damaged his numbers and put him behind for nearly a week. Here are today's numbers, compared to yesterday:

Obama 48% (+3)
Clinton 45% (-2)

It would appear that Obama's big speech on Tuesday, combined with the Bill Richardson endorsement, have gone a long way in fixing his poll numbers for now. But he still has yet to fully recover the six-point lead he had in Gallup a little over a week ago.

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Oh no! He's doooooooomed!

jAZ
03-23-2008, 12:01 AM
InTrade's Prediction of the Dem Nominee... Obama is back up to 79.7%. His highest level since the March 4th Primaries in OH/TX.

http://data.intrade.com/graphing/jsp/closingPricesForm.jsp?tradeURL=https://www.intrade.com&contractId=177448

http://data.intrade.com/graphing/temp/chart1202269338169442661.png

Thig Lyfe
03-23-2008, 01:52 AM
I seriously don't think the Wright thing should have been that big of a deal. Obama attended the church because it had a huge congregation and he'd thus have high visibility with his voters, not because he subscribed to Wright's dogma. Thus, he'd really have no reason to cause a stir by confronting him about his extreme views; that would only have lost support within his constituency. I'm convinced his attendance was entirely political.

I don't blame Obama for the thoughts, words and actions of Wright, nor do I believe he holds opinions anywhere near as extreme.

patteeu
03-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Obama attended the church because it had a huge congregation and he'd thus have high visibility with his voters, not because he subscribed to Wright's dogma. Thus, he'd really have no reason to cause a stir by confronting him about his extreme views; that would only have lost support within his constituency. I'm convinced his attendance was entirely political.

That's pretty much what I've been saying all along. Obama attended TUCC, not because he believed what they were preaching, but out of political opportunism. He's a hustler trying to do what he needs to do to climb the political ladder. No more, no less.

memyselfI
03-23-2008, 07:46 AM
That's pretty much what I've been saying all along. Obama attended TUCC, not because he believed what they were preaching, but out of political opportunism. He's a hustler trying to do what he needs to do to climb the political ladder. No more, no less.

Which makes him same shit, different dude! :doh!:

When he wins the nomination and if he wins the presidency I think it will be prudent to get people on the record as to how long it takes for the light bulb to go on for some folks...

perhaps a poll?

I actually think he believes much of what was preached but I also think he's alot more radical in his views than he's letting on but that he's moving to the middle to get elected and will be forced to stay there...

again same shit, different dude.

chagrin
03-23-2008, 08:06 AM
I actually think he believes much of what was preached but I also think he's alot more radical in his views than he's letting on but that he's moving to the middle to get elected and will be forced to stay there...

good lord the sky is falling, I agree with this. Regardless of race I am amazed that nobody seems to care about the garbage that he supports, Rev Wright, all of it.
Even the white guy freaks were shot down when they brought up their ridiculous rhetoric, only thing is they aren't as popular as Barak so what they said didn't matter to anyone who opposed them.

Make no mistake, whoever you are, what the guy said was offensive; doesn't matter what color he is.

jAZ
03-23-2008, 08:49 AM
He's a hustler...
Wow. I really never expected you to go the route of the racist, ghetto- Obama blast. You never cease to amaze me with your willingness to reveal the real patteeu, no matter how shameful.

FTR, I did a search to make sure that "hustler" wasn't some term you (un?)commonly used to describe politicians before.

MTG#10
03-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Wow. I really never expected you to go the route of the racist, ghetto- Obama blast. You never cease to amaze me with your willingness to reveal the real patteeu, no matter how shameful.

FTR, I did a search to make sure that "hustler" wasn't some term you (un?)commonly used to describe politicians before.
Now you're playing the race card? Its good to know not to take any of your political comments seriously ever again. Calling someone a hustler isnt racist and is not limited to "ghettos". A hustler is someone who acts one way but is completely different in real life, usually to try to gain an advantage on someone. My brother (white guy) use to be a billiards hustler in NYC. Also known as a "shark".

RedDread
03-23-2008, 09:22 AM

When he wins the nomination and if he wins the presidency I think it will be prudent to get people on the record as to how long it takes for the light bulb to go on for some folks...

perhaps a poll?

Show me a candidate that doesn't move towards center while running for president and I'll show you a candidate that won't be president.

memyselfI
03-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Show me a candidate that doesn't move towards center while running for president and I'll show you a candidate that won't be president.

Yeah but not all of them are fringe Marxist presenting themselves as Ronald Reagan.

memyselfI
03-23-2008, 09:29 AM

I don't think I've ever neg repped you but this one might call for it. Give me a fuggin break.

I know I'm not the same age as Paul Newman but I can't remember him ever being black...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E8MNH1TWL._SS500_.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustling

Hustling is the deceptive act of disguising one's skill in a sport or game with the intent of luring someone of probably lesser skill into gambling (or gambling for higher than current stakes) with the hustler, as a form of confidence trick. It is most commonly associated with pool (and to an extent other billiards-family games), but also can be performed with regard to other sports and gambling activities. Hustlers may also engage in "sharking" - the use of distracting, disheartening, enraging or even threatening behavior to throw their opponents off. Hustlers are thus often called "pool sharks" (compare "card sharp"). Professional and semi-pro hustlers sometimes work with a "stakehorse" – a person who provides the money for the hustler to bet with (and may assist in the hustling), in exchange for a substantial portion of all winnings.

Adept Havelock
03-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Great. Now meme's primordial slime has tainted one of the greatest motion pictures ever made.

This day is off to a great start. :shake:

Ultra Peanut
03-23-2008, 09:39 AM
There's a new great motion picture out now, at least:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/It6JN7ALF7Y&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/It6JN7ALF7Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

chiefforlife
03-23-2008, 09:45 AM

A 20 year hustle? Come on.

The man could have done anything he wanted to after graduating from Harvard. He chose public service. Does that sound like a hustler?

RedDread
03-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah but not all of them are fringe Marxist presenting themselves as Ronald Reagan.

Wouldn't a fringe Marxist appeal to you? :evil:

memyselfI
03-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Wouldn't a fringe Marxist appeal to you? :evil:

It certainly wouldn't be a turn off to me unless the person decided to become a chameleon and sell themselves and their principles out in order to get elected. Because once he does that he's either going to have to stay there or he's going to betray a great number of folks when he goes back to his fringe tendencies.

In this instance, I see him staying in the middle and even being forced further right so what is the point of having a progressive in name only? In this instance, it will set back the progressive movement for years to come. IMO.

Ultra Peanut
03-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Barack Obama loves your laugh
Barack Obama wanted you to have some cupcakes

patteeu
03-23-2008, 10:42 AM

perhaps a poll?

Yeah, I don't want my previous post to be taken to mean that I don't think he shares some of the radical politics of this congregation. I just don't think he attends this church because of some kind of religious epiphany and conversion. He may be a Chrisitian or an agnostic or anything in between, but his main reason for attending this church for the past 20 years is most likely, in my view, personal political advantage.

I agree with what you're saying here except that my fear is that once elected he will not be forced to stay in the middle but will instead revert to his radical roots. His complete lack of a track record and his vague campaign rhetoric is what lets his supporters read their own hopes and desires into his message and it's the same thing that lets you and I both see the same inauthenticity but yet come to completely different conclusions about where his candidacy would lead. IOW, we're both able to read our fears into his message the same way his supporters read their hopes into it. It's just another testament to his phoniness, IMO.

patteeu
03-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Get over yourself, jAZ. Your Obama love is making you irrational.

Ultra Peanut
03-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Get over yourself, jAZ. You're Obama love is making you irrational.He am quite Obama love.

patteeu
03-23-2008, 10:53 AM
A 20 year hustle? Come on.

The man could have done anything he wanted to after graduating from Harvard. He chose public service. Does that sound like a hustler?

Yeah, I bet raman noodle dinners get old in that $1.9 million mansion (which he purchased for only $1.6 mil thanks to his good buddy Tony Rezko, or so the allegation goes). It's been a hard life of public service for poor Obama.

jettio
03-23-2008, 11:00 AM

Colin Powell's post-convention endorsement of Obama ought to produce some interesting commentary.

I would bet that if the post convention polls are close, Colin Powell will endorse Obama because he likes him personally, he respects Obama's intellect and sincerity and Powell recognizes Obama as worthy of achieving the milestone.

I think the Hannity hyena pack will start barking at Powell then and further marginalize themselves as the haters that they are.

jAZ
03-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Get over yourself, jAZ. Your Obama love is making you irrational.
Maybe you've dropped that bomb on another pol in your life. I see no evidence of it. And it's certainly a loaded word that you've never chosen to use before this AFAIK.

chiefforlife
03-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I bet raman noodle dinners get old in that $1.9 million mansion (which he purchased for only $1.6 mil thanks to his good buddy Tony Rezko, or so the allegation goes). It's been a hard life of public service for poor Obama.

While that may seem like a lot to you and me, the man could easily make 10 times more than that in the private sector. There is no need to "hustle". I never said it was a hard life, but it could have been much easier had he chosen not to serve the people.

Thig Lyfe
03-23-2008, 11:30 AM

I'd rather he be there for political reasons. It's perfectly understandable. I'd prefer for politicians to not be religious at all, but since there won't be a successful national politician like that for a while, might as well take advantage of the large group of voters at church every Sunday.

If you think there aren't any other politicians who strategically choose where they attend church, you're nuts. Nobody claimed Obama was a perfect messiah; that perception is the media's fault. But Obama does bring a fresh perspective to government and what we as a people can accomplish, and that's where his appeal lies.

RINGLEADER
03-23-2008, 11:32 AM

Hustler is a racist term? Hmm.

According to the Urban Dictionary a "hustler" is someone who's "forced to use their Brains to make it in this world."

Or someone who sells drugs.

patteeu
Maybe you've dropped that bomb on another pol in your life. I see no evidence of it. And it's certainly a loaded word that you've never chosen to use before this AFAIK.

Poor, poor Obama. He's been "bombed" by a word that calls into question his authenticity. Boo hoo.

beer bacon

The Obama's are worth between one and two million dollars. A large chunk of that is from royalties on the books he has written. McCain and Hillary's families are both worth over thirty million dollars. Obama has not devoted his life to amassing personal wealth.

patteeu
03-23-2008, 11:37 AM
I'd rather he be there for political reasons. It's perfectly understandable. I'd prefer for politicians to not be religious at all, but since there won't be a successful national politician like that for a while, might as well take advantage of the large group of voters at church every Sunday.

If you think there aren't any other politicians who strategically choose where they attend church, you're nuts. Nobody claimed Obama was a perfect messiah; that perception is the media's fault. But Obama does bring a fresh perspective to government and what we as a people can accomplish, and that's where his appeal lies.

I think a lot of politicians strategically choose where they attend church. Obama claims to be different. Many of his supporters seem to believe him. Even you seem to buy into it when you talk about "fresh perspective". I don't think he is.

BTW, what's fresh about his perspective? Is it just talk or can you point to actual examples of how this fresh perspective has been implemented? Talk is cheap and it's the kind of thing that a same ol' same ol' politician has in abundance. Obama's unusually skilled at talking, but that's about all I can see that's demonstrably different.

patteeu
03-23-2008, 11:38 AM
The Obama's are worth between one and two million dollars. A large chunk of that is from royalties on the books he has written. McCain and Hillary's families are both worth over thirty million dollars. Obama has not devoted his life to amassing personal wealth.

I don't care about Hillary. Obama hasn't taken a vow of poverty so let's not kid ourselves here.

RINGLEADER
03-23-2008, 11:40 AM

And that matters why?

I don't care if Obama is black or white, rich or poor or whether his pastor is a bigot some of the time or all of the time. It's his promises of how he plans to govern that should be taken into consideration.

beer bacon
03-23-2008, 11:43 AM
And that matters why?

I don't care if Obama is black or white, rich or poor or whether his pastor is a bigot some of the time or all of the time. It's his promises of how he plans to govern that should be taken into consideration.

I agree with your sentiment, and I wasn't replying to that sentiment. My post matters because I don't want Obama mis-characterized by people like patteeu who have no interest in reality, but only in what makes it easier for his preferred candidate to become President.

I was replying to patteeu's post trying to paint Obama has some rich fat cat "hustler." Obama has devoted most of his life to public service, and he does not have great personal wealth, especially relative to McCain and Hillary who are worth tens of millions of dollars. The only candidate I can think of that is worth less than Obama is Huckabee.

HonestChieffan
03-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Tell me again about this poor man who lifted himself up by the bootstraps...please tell me the Obama story again please please?

RINGLEADER
03-23-2008, 11:54 AM
I agree with your sentiment, and I wasn't replying to that sentiment. My post matters because I don't want Obama mis-characterized by people like patteeu who have no interest in reality, but only in what makes it easier for his preferred candidate to become President.

I was replying to patteeu's post trying to paint Obama has some rich fat cat "hustler." Obama has devoted most of his life to public service, and he does not have great personal wealth, especially relative to McCain and Hillary who are worth tens of millions of dollars. The only candidate I can think of that is worth less than Obama is Huckabee.

Fair 'nuff.

I don't care enough to look up everyone's personal worth but I seem to remember that McCain married into his wealth. Is that correct? Makes him a bit of a loser on the piggy bank front IMO.

beer bacon
03-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Tell me again about this poor man who lifted himself up by the bootstraps...please tell me the Obama story again please please?

Please make another dumbass thread.

patteeu
03-23-2008, 12:03 PM

Uh, he does have great personal wealth by any reasonable standard. He's a pauper by Bill Gates' standard, but so what? To paraphrase Garrett Morris, public service been bery, bery good to Obama.

http://www.geocities.com/sgb34/garrett-morris.jpg

Note to jAZ: I didn't choose Garrett Morris because he's black in order to unfairly associate Obama with his own skin color. Please don't let your Jeremiah Wright-like, overly-race conscious imagination get carried away.

chiefforlife
03-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Uh, he does have great personal wealth by any reasonable standard. He's a pauper by Bill Gates' standard, but so what? To paraphrase Garrett Morris, public service been bery, bery good to Obama.

Note to jAZ: I didn't choose Garrett Morris because he's black in order to unfairly associate Obama with his own skin color. Please don't let your Jeremiah Wright-like, overly-race conscious imagination get carried away.

OK, that was pretty funny.ROFL

alanm
03-23-2008, 12:30 PM

ROFL:LOL:ROFL

Ultra Peanut
03-23-2008, 12:59 PM
So best-selling authors were born with silver spoons in their mouths now? Sweet spin, brah.

go bowe
03-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Get over yourself, jAZ. Your Obama love is making you irrational.you say that like there's something wrong with obama love...

mlyonsd
03-23-2008, 05:08 PM
you say that like there's something wrong with obama love...

Eww. Visions of your hippy years when you probably rolled around in groups like worms popped into my head.

go bowe
03-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I bet raman noodle dinners get old in that $1.9 million mansion (which he purchased for only $1.6 mil thanks to his good buddy Tony Rezko, or so the allegation goes). It's been a hard life of public service for poor Obama.oh c'mon...

what's a measly three hundred dollars between friends...

it isn't even enough to pay for one smart bomb (or so i've heard)...

whoman69
03-23-2008, 05:28 PM
I think the best question to ask is this, "Are the Repulicans swaying the election to Hillary?" When the election was young and both parties candidates were anything but assured, Republicans were crossing over to vote for Obama as it seemed the Democrates were sure of winning the election no matter who the Republicans ran. The numbers were smaller because the Republicans still had to decide their own candidate. Now that the Republicans have chosen, with the Democrats still undecided and the election far from the slam dunk earlier predicted, news is out of Pennsylvania, a non open primary, meaning its limited to only those registered to that party, many Republicans are now registering Democrat to vote for Hillary. They clearly see Hillary as the candidate most likely to lose and want to throw the election in her favor.

go bowe
03-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Eww. Visions of your hippy years when you probably rolled around in groups like worms popped into my head.well iv'e heard that in cases like this, the image of worms in your head can be ameliorated to a great extent by making improvements in your mental discipline...

as far as hippie years and images, just remember that i was not old and fat at the time, but we never got as wiggly as worms...

maby we should have tired it out...

now that i think of it, wriggly does sound a little kinky, doesn't it? :D :D :D

go bowe
03-23-2008, 05:41 PM
oh c'mon...

what's a measly three hundred dollars between friends...

it isn't even enough to pay for one smart bomb (or so i've heard)...

edit *ok, that should have been three hundred thousand, not three hundred*

Sponge Bob
03-23-2008, 05:53 PM
This canidates are horrible , can we redo the elections ?

patteeu
03-23-2008, 06:07 PM
edit *ok, that should have been three hundred thousand, not three hundred*

For a guy who has decided to forgo monetary gain in order to perform public service, it's the least we could overlook. :)

go bowe
03-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I don't want my previous post to be taken to mean that I don't think he shares some of the radical politics of this congregation. I just don't think he attends this church because of some kind of religious epiphany and conversion. He may be a Chrisitian or an agnostic or anything in between, but his main reason for attending this church for the past 20 years is most likely, in my view, personal political advantage.

I agree with what you're saying here except that my fear is that once elected he will not be forced to stay in the middle but will instead revert to his radical roots. His complete lack of a track record and his vague campaign rhetoric is what lets his supporters read their own hopes and desires into his message and it's the same thing that lets you and I both see the same inauthenticity but yet come to completely different conclusions about where his candidacy would lead. IOW, we're both able to read our fears into his message the same way his supporters read their hopes into it. It's just another testament to his phoniness, IMO.phoniness?

it looks a lot more like superb political skills to me...

Taco John
03-24-2008, 02:12 AM
He may be a Chrisitian or an agnostic or anything in between, but his main reason for attending this church for the past 20 years is most likely, in my view, personal political advantage.

Just like Bush, right?

patteeu
03-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Just like Bush, right?

Bush strikes me as a true believer, but I suppose you could be right. :shrug:

go bowe
03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
For a guy who has decided to forgo monetary gain in order to perform public service, it's the least we could overlook. :)thank yew, thank yew very much...

Logical
03-24-2008, 01:42 PM

perhaps a poll?

Just curious, how would it have been any different with John Edwards who compromised himself to be Kerrey's running mate or Hillary? Where is the paragon of Progressives that will not compromise themselves to get elected?

pikesome
03-24-2008, 01:45 PM

Be glad we aren't Pakistanis, it could always be worse.

Otter
03-24-2008, 03:56 PM

From left to right can someone with photoshop handy place mccain, obamabahammamamma and billeries head on here?

God help us all

http://www.plug-divx.com/img/3_stooges_4.jpg

Ultra Peanut
03-24-2008, 04:07 PM
obamabahammamammaNow THAT's cutting edge political humor.

The Onion should hire you, Otter.

Otter
03-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Now THAT's cutting edge political humor.

The Onion should hire you, Otter.

Why thank you blueballs

tiptap
03-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Bush strikes me as a true believer, but I suppose you could be right. :shrug:

There is a new book out on Bush's religion. In it Bush's stump spill about walking with Billy Graham and finding Christ on the Beach at the New England Bush' summer home. It resonates with most conservative evangelicals. Except it ain't so. Billy Graham can't remember walking with the younger Bush but he allows it might have happened. However there was some Jesus Freak Evangelists, you know someone from the 60's Jesus Freak movement, that has had a successful mininistry and he is the person who talked to Bush on several occasions over a year or so. I'm not doubting Bush's religious notions, just that it was as politically expedient to change the details.