PDA

View Full Version : After Boone Pickens buys Bill Self...

Archie F. Swin
03-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Don't you see Mark Turgeon taking the helm at KU? Born in Topeka, played for the Jayhawks, proving himself as a coach at Wichita State.

chagrin
03-23-2008, 09:07 AM
what? Is Bill Self leaving?

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Bill Self is NOT for sale.

banyon
03-23-2008, 09:12 AM
That's as likely as Ben Howland coming back to Kansas. Not everyone is Bob Thuggins.

Archie F. Swin
03-23-2008, 09:31 AM

everyone has their price

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 09:40 AM
It's not all about money. Stoolwater is a tough place to recruit to. Rural location like KSU.

Spott
03-23-2008, 10:04 AM
It's not all about money. Stoolwater is a tough place to recruit to. Rural location like KSU.

Eddie Sutton did it for a long time. There is also a lot more basketball talent than there used to be which is part of the reason that the smaller mid major schools are just as successful as the power conferences.

The Bad Guy
03-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Turgeon coaches Texas A & M.

Boon
03-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Bill Self isn't going anywhere. Take it to the bank.

ArrowheadHawk
03-23-2008, 11:22 AM
If Self leaves it will be to the NBA. If he leaves I would welcome Turg. He was actually on the list of candidates when KU hired Self.

Mr. Arrowhead
03-23-2008, 11:26 AM
IMO turgeon is not a good enough recruiter to be the KU coach.

ArrowheadHawk
03-23-2008, 11:27 AM
IMO turgeon is not a good enough recruiter to be the KU coach.KU practically recruits itself. And he could hire good assistants.

Mr. Arrowhead
03-23-2008, 11:31 AM
you still have to be a good recruiter tho, just ask UNC when they had Dougherty. Yea some places are alot easier than others. But you would still need to be a good recruiter

ArrowheadHawk
03-23-2008, 11:35 AM
you still have to be a good recruiter tho, just ask UNC when they had Dougherty. Yea some places are alot easier than others. But you would still need to be a good recruiterWhat? Roy won a Championship with players recruited by Doherty.

ROYC75
03-23-2008, 11:39 AM
What? Roy won a Championship with players recruited by Doherty.

Forgive Mr Arrowhead, for he know not what he say .............:D

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 11:39 AM
KU practically recruits itself. And he could hire good assistants.

Who was it who said "recruiting basketball players to Kansas is like recruiting drunks to a New Years party"?

BWillie
03-23-2008, 11:51 AM
The VP of my dad's company is on the athletic board at Oklahoma State. Huge contributor and bigwhig there. We talk to him when we go to the Big 12 tournament every year and he seems convinced that they are going to fire Sean Sutton this year or next and Pickens and Co offer Self 1.5 times what he is making right now with some sort of annuity. Something like after 10 years he gets to cash it in, and it is a ton of money.

Of course this is all talk, and in all honesty if the OSU job is open Bill Self is going to be the first guy on their list. We can't run from it KU fans. It's all in Bill Self, Boone Pickens, and Lew Perkins hand.

ArrowheadHawk
03-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Just because you are on the top of someones list doesn't mean that you will leave. Look at Mark Few. How many jobs has he been at the top of list just to keep turning them down to stay at Gonzaga.

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Last I checked OSU lost Les Miles to LSU.

schneider221
03-23-2008, 12:14 PM
I know coaches can change their mind at all but I don't see it happening in this situation considering it would be a lateral job move.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/feb/21/self_osu_its_not_going_happen/

DaneMcCloud
03-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Why would Self leave KU (and by leave, I mean quit) and go to OSU?

That's like Phil Jackson leaving the Lakers for the Clippers.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Brock
03-23-2008, 12:35 PM
This isn't a Roy to NC type situation. I can see Turgeon here someday though.

BWillie
03-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Why would Self leave KU (and by leave, I mean quit) and go to OSU?

That's like Phil Jackson leaving the Lakers for the Clippers.

Not. Gonna. Happen.
$$$$

Boone Pickens has stated numerous times he's sick of losing and will do whatever it takes to make the pokes a upper tier athletic program. If OSU offers Self twice as much as he makes at Kansas you don't at least think he would think about it?

Obviously with all things being equal I don't think he would want to leave to go to his alma mater, but with the money Pickens can throw around it is something to ponder. Self has never completely shut it down either. He's just said "This isn't even an issue right now". Basically in respect to Sean Sutton because the coaching spot is not yet vacant. Why not do the Les Miles thing and say, hey...no matter what. I am and will not go to OSU.

For the record, I still don't think Self will go anywhere even if Pickens offers him alot of dough. I think KU will take care of him, and won't be able to match what OSU would give him...but it shouldn't matter. KU is KU and OSU is OSU.

leviw
03-23-2008, 12:48 PM
As ArrowheadHawk said, Bill Self is only going to leave Kansas to go to the NBA. And that won't happen after this year, because he doesn't want to be the one responsible for leaving the cupboard bare. If he leaves this season:
- Rush leaves (going to happen anyway)
- Arthur leaves (going to happen anyway)
- Chalmers leaves (probably going to happen anyway)
- Collins leaves (won't happen unless Self goes)
- The Morris twins don't come
- Thomas and Little don't come

He does want to coach in the NBA, and I'm guessing that happens relatively soon -- next 3-4 years.

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 12:51 PM
I know coaches can change their mind at all but I don't see it happening in this situation considering it would be a lateral job move.

Lateral? Hardly.

BWillie
03-23-2008, 12:54 PM
As ArrowheadHawk said, Bill Self is only going to leave Kansas to go to the NBA. And that won't happen after this year, because he doesn't want to be the one responsible for leaving the cupboard bare. If he leaves this season:
- Rush leaves (going to happen anyway)
- Arthur leaves (going to happen anyway)
- Chalmers leaves (probably going to happen anyway)
- Collins leaves (won't happen unless Self goes)
- The Morris twins don't come
- Thomas and Little don't come

He does want to coach in the NBA, and I'm guessing that happens relatively soon -- next 3-4 years.

Has Self made it publicly known that he wants to coach in the NBA? This is the first time I've heard about this

ArrowheadHawk
03-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Lateral? Hardly.I missed that when I read his post. ROFL

kstater
03-23-2008, 12:56 PM
The meltdown would be epic if it were to happen.

ArrowheadHawk
03-23-2008, 12:57 PM
The meltdown would be epic if it were to happen. I doubt it. We would just get a replacement every bit as capable. Just like we did when Roy left.

leviw
03-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Has Self made it publicly known that he wants to coach in the NBA? This is the first time I've heard about this

That would be stupid to make it public. Publicly, no coach ever intends to leave where he's at now.

ArrowheadHawk
03-23-2008, 12:59 PM
That would be stupid to make it public. Publicly, no coach ever intends to leave where he's at now.Just ask Nick Saban.

Brock
03-23-2008, 01:01 PM
The NBA rarely works out for college coaches.

rockchalkgirl
03-23-2008, 01:04 PM

Lateral??? Seriously??? You are equating the University of Kansas, widely regarded as one of the top five programs in the country, the school where the inventor of the game was first coach; where the Phog Allen, the man recognized as one of the greatest innovators in coaching the game was the second coach; the school that has won about 50% of its league titles; with Oklahoma State??? The only thing "lateral" is that they're in the same conference.

OSU has good basketball tradition of its own. Generally, their fans are great, and very knowledgeable about the game. But it's not the same as Kansas, and never will be.

Roy Williams to NC from KU was a lateral. This isn't even close.

BWillie
03-23-2008, 01:07 PM
That would be stupid to make it public. Publicly, no coach ever intends to leave where he's at now.

Yeah, thats what I thought. Sooo why are we assuming Self has aspirations to coach in the NBA? It seems like if you start as an assistant in the NBA you stay there, or vice versa. College coaches transitioning to the NBA seems to become a more and more difficult task every day.

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Self is only the 8th HC the Jayhawks have ever had. I remember 4 of them: Ted Owens, Larry Brown, Royboy and Self.

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, thats what I thought. Sooo why are we assuming Self has aspirations to coach in the NBA? It seems like if you start as an assistant in the NBA you stay there, or vice versa. College coaches transitioning to the NBA seems to become a more and more difficult task every day.

I have heard Self say he'd like to try the NBA some day.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I doubt it. We would just get a replacement every bit as capable. Just like we did when Roy left.

are you really publicly stating there was no meltdown when Roy left?

mikeyis4dcats.
03-23-2008, 01:20 PM
and does the OP really not know Turd is at ATM?

DaneMcCloud
03-23-2008, 01:25 PM
$$$$

Boone Pickens has stated numerous times he's sick of losing and will do whatever it takes to make the pokes a upper tier athletic program. If OSU offers Self twice as much as he makes at Kansas you don't at least think he would think about it?

Obviously with all things being equal I don't think he would want to leave to go to his alma mater, but with the money Pickens can throw around it is something to ponder. Self has never completely shut it down either. He's just said "This isn't even an issue right now". Basically in respect to Sean Sutton because the coaching spot is not yet vacant. Why not do the Les Miles thing and say, hey...no matter what. I am and will not go to OSU.

For the record, I still don't think Self will go anywhere even if Pickens offers him alot of dough. I think KU will take care of him, and won't be able to match what OSU would give him...but it shouldn't matter. KU is KU and OSU is OSU.

Are you saying that the KU alumi wouldn't be able to cough up enough money to match or better OSU's possible offer?

Gimme a break.

The only way Self leaves KU for another college program is if he's pushed out the door.

Otherwise, he's going nowhere.

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Are you saying that the KU alumi wouldn't be able to cough up enough money to match or better OSU's possible offer?

Gimme a break.

The only way Self leaves KU for another college program is if he's pushed out the door.

Agreed although Mangino currently makes more than Self. Both are around $1.5 million IIRC.

BWillie
03-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Gimme a break.

Kansas basketball is bigger than Bill Self. Bill Self needs Kansas more than Kansas needs Self. If Pickens makes Self the highest paid college coach by a good margin, why not let him walk than pay him a ridiculous figure. I really don't think you guys know how crazy and wealthy Boone Pickens is. He's old, has a shitload of money, probably will die any day now. He just wants to win at any cost.

Unless he wins the national championship this year, I wouldn't anticipate it. Kansas recruits itself, maybe not to the level of UNC but you get my point. There would be coaches lining up to try to take the Kansas vacancy if it were to happen. I'm sure they could do an admirable job.

With that said, I still don't think Self will take the money. I think he's happy where he is at and there are only a few other jobs comparable in prestige in the entire country (UCLA, UNC, Kentucky) and Okie State ain't one of them. You can't buy prestige. I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying I think coach Self will leave, but truth behold none of us really know so we shouldn't act like we do. I'm only going over what would happen if sean sutton gets canned

eazyb81
03-23-2008, 01:31 PM

Gimme a break.

Um, do you know who T. Boone Pickens is? KU has no alums that come close to the money he has and is willing to blow for athletics. The guy is a multi-BILLIONAIRE, is old, and wants to see OSU win now.

I have no idea if Self would be willing to leave KU to go back to OSU, but if he is even slightly interested and is swayed by money, KU cannot match what Pickens can offer.

BWillie
03-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Um, do you know who T. Boone Pickens is? KU has no alums that come close to the money he has and is willing to blow for athletics. The guy is a multi-BILLIONAIRE, is old, and wants to see OSU win now.

I have no idea if Self would be willing to leave KU to go back to OSU, but if he is even slightly interested and is swayed by money, KU cannot match what Pickens can offer.

Exactly.

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 01:34 PM
John Calipari is a former KU assistant. Ain't he Peanut? Self took the job Calipari left when he first coached at Kansas.

hawkchief
03-23-2008, 01:51 PM

MOst Jayhwawk fans were pissed at the chickenshit way Roy left during the Final Four that year with Dean Smith in his ear the whole time. With Self, the Hawks got a hell of a coach, and probably an even better person than Roy ever tried to make you think he was/is.

DaneMcCloud
03-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Whatever. Whoo-hoo. OSU has a rich guy that donates to the college. This is all just ridiculous speculation because at this point in time, Self is going nowhere.

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Who is the highest paid college BB coach?

DaneMcCloud
03-23-2008, 03:01 PM

With shoe money, advertising, etc., it's Coach K.

But if Self wins the National Championship, KU will pony up the dough.

Without a doubt.

ArrowheadHawk
03-23-2008, 04:18 PM
No, thats not what I said. Self hasn't been here for 20 years.

leviw
03-23-2008, 04:44 PM

Not assuming. I heard this multiple times in Omaha this week.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-23-2008, 04:50 PM
MOst Jayhwawk fans were pissed at the chickenshit way Roy left during the Final Four that year with Dean Smith in his ear the whole time. With Self, the Hawks got a hell of a coach, and probably an even better person than Roy ever tried to make you think he was/is.

still didn't answer my question...

CoMoChief
03-23-2008, 06:49 PM
If you coach at Kansas you have it made in the NCAA bball world. You only leave Kansas for schools like UNC, Duke Kentucky, UCLA or the NBA. Bill Self isn't goin anwhere unless he's fired.

CoMoChief
03-23-2008, 06:51 PM

In terms of salary from the school, it's Roy at UNC.

But in the overall scheme of things with endorsements and advertising, it's Coach K.

kstater
03-23-2008, 06:55 PM
I thought Donovan signed a 3.2 million a year extension?

ROYC75
03-23-2008, 07:36 PM
If you coach at Kansas you have it made in the NCAA bball world. You only leave Kansas for schools like UNC, Duke Kentucky, UCLA or the NBA. Bill Self isn't goin anwhere unless he's fired.

Nobody has ever left anywhere to go to Duke for sometime.

The only reason to ever leave a school like KU, KY,UCLA or UNC is to either go home or your are burnt out and quit. Stop and look at the small number of HC's at these schools in their own history. Indiana was in that class for a long time when Knight was there.

FTR, Bill Self will not leave KU, unless enough money and home is calling.

He has made this statement over and over that, " KU is the premiere coaching job in college basketball ".

ChiefsCountry
03-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Self wont win a national title for Jayhawks. Mark it down. The Iba style of coaching will hurt him again.

Brock
03-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Self wont win a national title for Jayhawks. Mark it down. The Iba style of coaching will hurt him again.

It took Dean Smith 20 years to win one.

Archie F. Swin
03-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Self was born and raised in Oklahoma, Played college ball at OSU and was an assistant coach to Eddie Sutton. I don't think yous people realize just how bad Pickens wants OSU to be a champion

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Self was born and raised in Oklahoma, Played college ball at OSU and was an assistant coach to Eddie Sutton. I don't think yous people realize just how bad Pickens wants OSU to be a champion

Then why did they let Les Miles get away to LSU where he won a NC?

Brock
03-23-2008, 09:46 PM
So when are you saying this is going to happen?

Coach
03-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, unless my news is behind, isn't Sean Sutton still coaching OSU, unless he got fired?

Short Leash Hootie
03-23-2008, 10:40 PM
you still have to be a good recruiter tho, just ask UNC when they had Dougherty. Yea some places are alot easier than others. But you would still need to be a good recruiter

Hysterical. That guy recruited the guys Roy won a national championship with...shit, if they gave him another year or two he probably would've won that championship as well...

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Hysterical. That guy recruited the guys Roy won a national championship with...shit, if they gave him another year or two he probably would've won that championship as well...

Not the way I remember it. The players (and the parents) were in full revolt against Doherty and threatened to quit if he were not replaced.

Brock
03-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Doherty was a horrid coach. UNC in the NIT? Ridiculous.

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, unless my news is behind, isn't Sean Sutton still coaching OSU, unless he got fired?

Sean is still here for now. But they just got blown out in the NIT. Eddie Sutton did OK at OSU but not anything approaching the success KU has had. He got them to the Final Four once but that was largely due to a local boy, Bryant "Big Country" Reeves. Oh, yeah, and Randy Rutherford. OSU isn't the recruiting Mecca KU is.

CosmicPal
03-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Well, it's kinda spooky you mentioned Turgeon someday possibly becoming the HC of KU 'cause I was actually thinking the same thing while watching the Texas A&M game.

Self has moved around, but KU is indeed the pinnacle of coaching jobs in the college ranks, so I don't see Self with his bags open for packing just yet. Turgeon will need a few more years of experience before he's KU material, and it just might be that timing will be everything for that to actually occur. I didn't like Turgeon's play calling at the end of the game and it looked like Texas A&M was totally unprepared for the last couple of minutes of that game. So, I'm not exactly sold on Turgeon just yet.

And for those of you who don't think Self could leave KU, you may recall he left Illinois for the KU job even though he'd taken Illinois to the Elite 8 that year. (If I recall correctly).

DaWolf
03-23-2008, 11:23 PM
There are many, many coaches out there better than Turgeon, and I don't see Lew settling for anything less than the best if he needs to find a new coach.

I also don't see Self leaving unless he can't handle the challenge presented to him by Kansas fans of expecting a final four run almost every year...

Skip Towne
03-23-2008, 11:35 PM
There are many, many coaches out there better than Turgeon, and I don't see Lew settling for anything less than the best if he needs to find a new coach.

I also don't see Self leaving unless he can't handle the challenge presented to him by Kansas fans of expecting a final four run almost every year...

No, Turgeon is not ready for KU. In a few years, maybe. And you make a good point about expectations of the fans, see how the Kentucky job has lost its luster. KU hasn't reached that point yet and hopefully never will.

HemiEd
03-24-2008, 06:29 AM

ROFL Don't jinx the program! Neither was Roy Williams.

RockChalk
03-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Hopefully this thread is intended to be used purely for humor. Some of the ideas you all come up with are flat out crazy.

Self isn't going anywhere

Lzen
03-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Self is only the 8th HC the Jayhawks have ever had. I remember 4 of them: Ted Owens, Larry Brown, Royboy and Self.

I'm surprised you don't remember Naismith. Wasn't he one of your professors?

ROYC75
03-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Towne View Post

I'm surprised you don't remember Naismith. Wasn't he one of your professors?

Yep, so was Phog Allen and Dick Harp....... my mind has left me on that other one.:spock: Gotta look it up !:doh!:

ROYC75
03-24-2008, 09:29 AM
W. O. Hamilton was the other HC in 1910-1919

DJay23
03-24-2008, 09:32 AM
And for those of you who don't think Self could leave KU, you may recall he left Illinois for the KU job even though he'd taken Illinois to the Elite 8 that year. (If I recall correctly).

Illinois to Kansas is a step up. Kansas to Okie State is a step down.

Brock
03-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Illinois to Kansas is a step up. Kansas to Okie State is a step down.

But but T. Boone Pickens is a billionaire.:rolleyes:

DJay23
03-24-2008, 09:42 AM
But but T. Boone Pickens is a billionaire.:rolleyes:

Well, I guess then that it would be a step up in pay, but Bill might as well put on a ski mask when he coaches because he'd basically be robbing Pickens and OSU of money. I think it would be pretty tough to recruit the type of team to Okie State needed to win a National Title. OSU just isn't a household name. He'd have to do a majority of his recruiting regionally and then when he's built up the resume, go get the big time guys from the rest of the country. That might take a little longer than Mr. Pickens would like. Not to say they can't win one soon, it would just take lightning in a bottle IMO.

Throwing money at a problem does not always fix it.

ROYC75
03-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Throwing money at a problem does not always fix it.
It sure does help alot, matter of fact, it would help my problems alot ! Hey Boone, I'll coach your team .........:D

Que Card QB
03-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Since none of this has ever been substantiated, I think it's either a lot of wishful thinking from OSU fans (remember last year it was Arkansas) or "Hater-candy" for all the KU haters.

ArrowheadHawk
03-24-2008, 01:11 PM
If self leaves I think we will try to snatch Calipari.