PDA

View Full Version : XM-Sirius Merger Approved

Hays
03-24-2008, 02:18 PM
What will this mean for us listeners?

I used to have xm, but switched for the nfl coverage that sirius has.

I wonder by these 2 merging what will it actually mean. I would love to have xm's baseball coverage along with sirius's football coverage without paying for both services

BigChiefFan
03-24-2008, 02:25 PM
I would say you get all of the programming of both networks, but watch out for a price hike in the near future.

seclark
03-24-2008, 02:32 PM
xm can't be sirius.
(sorry)
sec

jAZ
03-24-2008, 02:33 PM
... without paying for both services

They just gained a great deal of power in the marketplace to set pricing without competition. I wouldn't expect much in the way of price cuts in the future, unless their business model starts to fall apart and they do a fire-sale in order to boost subscribers.

CosmicPal
03-24-2008, 02:42 PM
XM and SIRIUS Working with FCC to Secure Final Regulatory Approval

NEW YORK and WASHINGTON, March 24, 2008 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI) and XM Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: XMSR) today announced that the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) has informed the companies that it has ended its investigation into the pending merger of SIRIUS and XM without taking action to block the transaction. This decision means the DOJ has concluded that the merger is not anti-competitive and it will allow the transaction to proceed. SIRIUS and XM each obtained stockholder approval in November 2007. The pending merger is still subject to approval of the Federal Communications Commission.

stlchiefs
03-24-2008, 02:43 PM
This was approval by the Justice Department. The merger still needs FCC approval.

Guru
03-24-2008, 02:43 PM
double the rates half the service.

Bugeater
03-24-2008, 02:46 PM
double the rates half the service.

Precisely. No competition=price gouging and treating the customer like shit.

stlchiefs
03-24-2008, 02:46 PM
What will this mean for us listeners?

I used to have xm, but switched for the nfl coverage that sirius has.

I wonder by these 2 merging what will it actually mean. I would love to have xm's baseball coverage along with sirius's football coverage without paying for both services

Your comment is interesting because it is the 1st post and completely counter to the J. Deptartment's findings about the 2 not competing for customers and nobody switches between the two.

"The Justice Department, in a statement explaining its decision, said the combination of the companies won't hurt competition because the companies are not competing today. Customers must buy equipment that is exclusive to either XM or Sirius, and subscribers rarely switch providers.

"People just don't do that," said Assistant Attorney General Thomas Barnett, in a conference call with reporters."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SIRIUS_XM_MERGER?SITE=MOSTP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Hays
03-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Your comment is interesting because it is the 1st post and completely counter to the J. Deptartment's findings about the 2 not competing for customers and nobody switches between the two.

"The Justice Department, in a statement explaining its decision, said the combination of the companies won't hurt competition because the companies are not competing today. Customers must buy equipment that is exclusive to either XM or Sirius, and subscribers rarely switch providers.

"People just don't do that," said Assistant Attorney General Thomas Barnett, in a conference call with reporters."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SIRIUS_XM_MERGER?SITE=MOSTP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Well they can say and think one thing, but the programming one has is what decides which one you go to. My brother switched with me, baseball coverage was a selling point at the time but we can listen to the game and find it on the radio all the time.

Football however is a different story.

I did think that the music choices between the 2 were somewhat comparable but each has its own twist.

Donger
03-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I hate Big Radio.

DaneMcCloud
03-24-2008, 03:01 PM
I hate Big Radio.

Me, too.

This merger doesn't qualify as that.

Spott
03-24-2008, 03:05 PM
I just hope that the pussified rock stations that XM has don't carry over to Sirius. Luckily I've already prepaid for 2 years and they can't jack up my rates until then.

stlchiefs
03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I enjoy sat. radio in cars if it's built into the car, but I hate having additional items hanging in or laying around in my car. SO, I've never even looked at purchasing either sirius or xm for my personal use.

Joe Seahawk
03-24-2008, 03:22 PM
I ave a lifetime subscription to sirius, so does that mean i will get all the XM stuff too?

somehow i doubt it..

blackhawk
03-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Next, the merger must be approved by the Federal Communications Commission; a ruling is expected in the coming weeks. Both companies, in an effort to gain FCC support, derived various pricing packages, including an a la carte pricing system. As a result of the merger, Sirius and XM subscribers — who are now asked to pay $12.95 a month — could end up paying substantially less (as little as $6.99, with the proposed tiered pricing). In addition, the combined company plans to eliminate duplicative programming, including a number of music channels.

The deal's main opposition came from the National Association of Broadcasters, the trade group that represents free radio stations, which waged a lobbying campaign in Congress and at the FCC to stop the merger, arguing that it would create a pay-radio monopoly.

beavis
03-24-2008, 03:59 PM
I ave a lifetime subscription to sirius, so does that mean i will get all the XM stuff too?

somehow i doubt it..

How do you get a lifetime subscription?

Spott
03-24-2008, 04:32 PM
How do you get a lifetime subscription?

I believe the lifetime subcription is just the lifetime of the radio. When I renewed for another 2 years last December, the customer service rep said offered me the lifetime subscription for something like $400 which was a promo price. I'm not sure if they are still offering that plan or not.

DJJasonp
03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
I've had both services....and can truly say...XM is horrible for music channels. Sirius' programming is so much better....XM is either too far on the commercial side....or too far on the obscure side.

Sirius channels such as First Wave, Hair Nation, or Boombox...cannot be touched by anything XM offers.

That said, the audio quality is a tad better with XM....and I dont like how Sirius has better audio quality channels for some channels - and not for others.

I originally read that if they do merge, there was going to be some sort of a la carte subscription services available for the service you dont already have. (sort of like paying for cable tv where you can pick up premium channel packages or sports packages for an additional fee)

Maybe you pick up XM's R&B channels for an extra 1.00 a month or XM's MLB for an extra 1.99....If I find the article, I'll post it.

blackhawk
03-24-2008, 06:57 PM
The first package is 50 satellite radio channels for $6.99 per month, a 46 percent savings over the get-all-of-the-channels-for-$12.95 package - currently the only option. Extra channels would be as little as 25 cents each - and the price would cap at $12.95. Need a bigger lineup than that? For $14.99, pick your favorite 100 channels. In addition, there are a number of other packages that will be available - a "best of" Sirius and XM for $14.99 and a Sports-News-Talk package for $9.99, among others. (Check out the full press release with a lineup of the proposals.

blackhawk
03-24-2008, 06:58 PM
http://investor.sirius.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=255847&cat=&newsroom=

Chiefmanwillcatch
03-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Look for higher prices.

Thanks Bush.

Your check will be waiting for you.

BCD
03-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Look for higher prices.

Thanks Bush.

Your check will be waiting for you.WTF? :spock:

blackhawk
03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Look for higher prices.

Thanks Bush.

Your check will be waiting for you.

50 satellite radio channels for $6.99 per month, a 46 percent savings! going with the all sport nfl mlb nascar! not a big hockey fan!

BigChiefFan
03-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Precisely. No competition=price gouging and treating the customer like shit.

I was guilty of saying a price hike, but most monopoly's had cheaper rates before being forced to break apart by the government. The phone and cable companies come to mind.

bowener
03-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Was this Herm's big announcement?