PDA

View Full Version : Kevorkian to Run for Congress

banyon
03-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Kevorkian announces bid for Congress
By Kathleen Gray • Free Press Staff Writer •
March 24, 2008

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080324/NEWS05/80324026&imw=Y

He called his candidacy audacious, even outrageous, but assisted suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian will run for U.S. Congress this year, hoping to continue a crusade to fight for individual rights.

“I have never been a political person. I have only voted once in my life," he said, during a rambling press conference in which he quoted everyone from Alexis deToqueville to Frederick Douglass.

Kevorkian will run in the 9th Congressional district, which currently is represented by U.S. Rep. Joe Knollenberg, R-Bloomfield Township. He promised to only stay in office only two years if elected.

“I’m 79, almost 80,” he said. “That’s old.”

He will be an independent candidate whose goal is to raise awareness of the Ninth Amendment to the U.S. Bill of Rights, which says rights spelled out in the Constitution do not diminish rights that aren’t specifically spelled out.

“You can’t take my innate rights away from me without a fight,” he said.

That fight is more important than any scandal in the city of Detroit, Kevorkian said. He interprets the amendment as allowing an individual to do anything as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone, such as helping with an assisted suicide. Kevorkian spent more than eight years in prison after being convicted of second degree murder for one of an estimated 130 assisted suicides he participated in during the 1990s.

“If you want to have 10 pounds of marijuana in your house, why not? As long as you don’t hurt anybody,” he said.

Because Knollenberg won with such a narrow margin in his 2006 race against a Democratic candidate with much less money, the race has been targeted as one of the most competitive in the nation. Former Lottery Commissioner Gary Peters, a Bloomfield Hills Democrat who served in the state Senate from 1995-2002, is the only announced candidate for the race.

Kevorkian’s candidacy could certainly have an impact on the race, said Lansing political consultant Tom Shields, of Marketing Resource Group.

“There is a history of third party candidates having a dramatic effect on these types of races,” he said. “This is not a good day for Gary Peters. I can’t believe that a whole lot of Kevorkian supproters would also be supporters of Joe Knollenberg.”

And Kevorkian said he has no interest in being persuaded by any party or individual to drop his bid for the seat.

“This is the most important thing in my life right now,” he said. “If I get into the House, it’s not going to be a docile place.”

Kevorkian tried to get out of prison early because of health problems, including Hepatitis C, high blood pressure and hardening of the arteries. But the request was denied, he served his full sentence and was released on parole in June. He will remain on parole in June 2009.

Being a convicted felon won’t restrict him from running for office. The only requirements to run for Congress is age and residency — at least 25 years old and a resident of the state. Congress does have the ability to remove members from office who are convicted of subversion or of a felony that constitutes a breach of the public trust. But the body has been reluctant to overturn the wishes of voters and has rarely had to use that power. Most members convicted of serious crimes have resigned from their seats.

And as for the one time in his life that he voted? He cast a ballot for his attorney Geoffrey Fieger when he was the Democratic candidate for governor in 1998.

banyon
03-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Well, Congress was already decrepit and diseased with corruption. I guess it's time to put it out of its misery.

Rain Man
03-24-2008, 06:21 PM
I can see his opponent's slogan now: "With Kevorkian, only two things are sure: death and taxes."

mikey23545
03-24-2008, 06:25 PM
I can't believe he's not going to run as a Democrat - they've been famous for getting the dead to vote for decades....

Brock
03-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I can't believe a felon can run for elected office.

Adept Havelock
03-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, Congress was already decrepit and diseased with corruption. I guess it's time to put it out of its misery.

As long as they are requesting it and not forced into it, fine by me. ;)

BigMeatballDave
03-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Funny, I thought he was dead...

Ebolapox
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
his candidacy was dead from the word 'go'

Ebolapox
his inauguration music: 'the turkish death march'

Ebolapox
he's deadly.

Ebolapox
well, at least he'll go after dead-beat dads.

Ebolapox
03-24-2008, 07:15 PM
this thread is now dead. I've beaten the dead horse one too many times.

mikey23545
03-24-2008, 07:29 PM
this thread is now dead. I've beaten the dead horse one too many times.

Stop it, you're killing me.

tiptap
03-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Do you need assistance?