PDA

View Full Version : HERM SPEAKS (3/24)

BigRock
03-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Here's a recap of Herm's presser I saw. There's a few interesting tidbits, I guess.

- Opened talking about his youth camp, which will be back another year. They’re holding an OTA session in St. Joes. They’re going to start doing something similar to the Royals caravan where players and coaches will go around to different cities and such.

- Gun is coaching the linebackers now, which was something they decided to do shortly after the season ended.

- Didn’t do much in free agency, just like they said. Signed a few guys, missed out on a few others. Mentions wanting to sign some of our own players that are already under contract and get them locked up.

- Herm’s going to LSU tomorrow for the pro day. Their "#1 scout" D-Bowe is going with him and is going to give Herm a tour of the campus.

Responding to questions:

- Gun is still the coordinator. He wanted to be more involved with the defense, wanted to coach the linebackers. So he is. He’ll stay in the booth on gameday. Herm thinks it’ll be good for the team and the players.

- A guy sounding an awful lot like Adam Teicher asked if having Gun coach the linebackers is aimed at any specific player or players. Herm said no, but Teicher put that theme in his story anyway.

Herm elaborated on the "no", saying the linebackers are a big part of what they want to do defensively, the defense is built around them, wants them to be more fundamentally sound. Talked about missed tackles last year.

- Talked about free agents. They have an A list, a B list, and a C list. You want to stay with the As and avoid the Cs, cause you’re grasping when you get to the Cs. He thinks the A and B list guys are gone, but the C list guys will still be there after the draft.

Someone misunderstood Herm’s earlier remark about signing our own guys and thought he meant bringing back our free agents like Sapp and Parker and Wilson, but that’s not what he meant.

- Dodged some draft questions. He thinks they’ll have 3-4 guys that they’ll feel good about taking at #5. He’s not going to reach and pull some guy up who they have rated at the bottom of the first round somewhere.

Rhonda asked if he’d draft by need or by who’s there at the time, and Herm says it’d be great if whoever’s there fills a need. Rhonda says it doesn’t always work out that way. Herm: "Well, we got a lot of positions to fill."

Someone tried to get into how far Herm would be willing to reach. And Herm said the same thing about probably having 3-4 guys they’ll like, and that if you pick a guy among 3-4 players who are separated in their rating by fractions and decimals, he doesn’t consider that reaching on anybody. I guess that’s as far as he’d be willing to reach, but he didn’t state that for sure.

- Through about pick 15 to the third round, he thinks there will be a lot of good linemen, corners, running backs, and receivers to take. It’s easy to talk about trading down, but it’s hard to do. They’ll listen to different offers and scenarios and do what’s best for the team at the end.

The team needs to add players. Assuming they stand pat with their picks and draft 10 guys, they still need to add 20 before training camp. He’s excited about it.

- It could turn out that none of the 3-4 guys they like are there at #5. The guy sitting there could still be a great player, but the wrong position. Herm more or less said he’d take that guy anyway ‘cause he wants to add good players.

- In free agency, they want to stick to guys 26-27 or younger with an upside. Older guys weren’t even on their list.

- Herm says they started calling agents at midnight the day free agency started. He thinks some deals got done before midnight, which is against the rules. They followed the rules. He was asked about Tampa cheating with Faine and said you’d have to ask Tampa.

- He doesn’t think adding Demarrio Williams is an indictment of Donnie or Harris, it’s more a replacement of Keyaron Fox for the moment. But he’s coming in to compete for a spot and to add depth. Gotta get DJ to the Pro Bowl level he’s capable of. Described Harris as playing good early, not so good in the middle, and then he had 18 tackles in the final game. That’s what they want to see out of him.

- Drafted young defensive players when he got there, now they need more on offense. Feels good about the defensive line, needs to fix the offensive line. Need corners. #2 receiver spot is up for grabs. Need a returner.

- Rudy is running and will be fine for camp. If they played today, he’d be the starting center.

- Brodie is the starter.

- Matt Ryan’s a good player. Doesn’t know if he could be a franchise QB, won’t say either way. He finds a way to win, which is important. Threw a lot of picks, which is a concern. Herm doesn’t think more of him now than he did before. He liked him before, still likes him.

- LJ’s foot is good. He’s running or jogging or doing something. Herm says they won’t rush him.

- Herm doesn’t care how old the kicker is. You’d like a young one to have for a long time, but you need someone who can make the kicks.

- There will be some good quarterbacks in the 2nd-4th rounds. He wouldn’t be opposed to going into the season with Brodie, Thigpen, and a rookie if another team was interested in Huard.

- Wants a left tackle who’s athletic, who can block speed rushers. One who can go up against the best defensive ends. On third and long, don’t want to worry about turning your protection to him. He thinks Jake Long can be a left tackle.

- Jared Allen’s in a "good place" right now. He made the Pro Bowl, he’s getting a raise. Herm talked to him about a week ago, but they don’t talk contract stuff. They talk more than people imagine. They played in a golf tournament together.

- The final questions were about the St. Joe’s thing. Herm thinks it’s good to take things to the fans and the kids since many can’t afford to come to a game. It’s not a tryout to see about moving training camp there.

FIN

BigChiefFan
03-24-2008, 11:06 PM
The Chiefs are going to trade down. Cheap ****ers.

BigRock
03-24-2008, 11:08 PM
That's really what you got from this?

BigChiefFan
03-24-2008, 11:13 PM
"He thinks they’ll have 3-4 guys that they’ll feel good about taking at #5."

Hmmm. That says trade down to me. If there's only 3-4 guys, that tells me they EXPECT all of their guys to be gone. It's a built in excuse. You watch, they'll trade down.

What did you take out of it?

BigRock
03-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I didn't really take anything away from the draft talk, it's all BS anyway. But he sure seemed to spend more time talking about picking at #5 then he did about trading down. And when the question came up of "what if the 3-4 guys you like aren't there", trading down wasn't his answer.

Tribal Warfare
03-24-2008, 11:25 PM

I don't think so, I believe they'll stay at the 5 spot from what I heard on the NFL Network

SBK
03-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Herm said- Drafted young defensive players when he got there, now they need more on offense. Feels good about the defensive line, needs to fix the offensive line.

He's targeting Ellis and Dorsey with that #1. :D

Tribal Warfare
03-24-2008, 11:29 PM

yep, Dorsey or Ellis

BigChiefFan
03-24-2008, 11:30 PM
I don't know. Herm is so full of it most of the time. I'll guess we'll know soon. I really hope they plan on staying put and drafting one of the premier guys, though.

RedThat
03-24-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't think so, I believe they'll stay at the 5 spot from what I heard on the NFL Network

I dont think so either.

There are 3-4 guys they feel they can take at 5? Even if one of those guys doesn't fill a position of need, but is the BPA, Herm indicated Chiefs might still take him. That spells Matt Ryan to me.

The 3-4 guys they have targeted imo, I feel are Dorsey, J.Long, Ryan, Ellis

BigChiefFan
03-24-2008, 11:36 PM
I dont think so either.

There are 3-4 guys they feel they can take at 5? Even if one of those guys doesn't fill a position of need, but is the BPA, Herm indicated Chiefs might still take him. That spells Matt Ryan to me.

The 3-4 guys they have targeted imo, I feel are Dorsey, J.Long, Ryan, Ellis They should consider Chris Long, as well. There's only 16 Different scenarios, it shouldn't be too hard to have a plan for each. And for each of those scenarios it's still only a possibilty of FOUR players going ahead of us. I hope Herm knows what he's doing.

RedThat
03-24-2008, 11:42 PM
They should consider Chris Long, as well. There's only 16 Different scenarios, it shouldn't be too hard to have a plan for each. And for each of those scenarios it's still only a possibilty of FOUR players going ahead of us. I hope Herm knows what he's doing.

At least he knows the offensive line needs to be rebuilt. which is good.

What worries me is that I hope they don't place all hope on Brodie. I just don't like the idea since he has a history of being injury prone.

Either at least picking in the top 5 assures that one of these guys will be available:

Dorsey
Ellis
J Long
C Long
Ryan
Gholston
McFadden

Coogs
03-25-2008, 07:51 AM
BigRock,

Thanks for the post! Good stuff! :thumb:

I was watching Fox 4 sports last night, and they had a little recap of the presser as well. They had a statement listed on the screen and Frank Boal said aloud as well that our draft pick would be a starter. By the way it was stated, I assumed that meant from day 1.

To me, that would eliminate a few positions. DE and QB for a couple. I just don't see Ryan starting right away, and I really can't see Hali or Allen being pushed back to the bench right away either.

DT could be an option, but I hope we already have our DT starters in place. And a 3-4 spot slight reach could very well get to Clady.

I'm guessing OT. Long if he is there. Clady if he is not.

Iowanian
03-25-2008, 08:04 AM
so....it boils down to I was pretty damn close on my song....

"We're effing you chief fans"

JBucc
03-25-2008, 08:16 AM
I think the 4 guys are Dorsey, Ellis, J. Long, and Ryan.

He also said even if they weren't there they'd take whoever is the best player left, so I think they'd take Gholston and possibly even McFadden. Chris Long too, but I think right now he's the only player that's pretty much guaranteed not to get to 5.

Assuming he's not BSing us.

chagrin
03-25-2008, 08:28 AM
I took his words to mean no way he's taking Ryan Clady, which pleases me. Now if I misunderstood and he's going to trade down like the other dude thinks, then so be it but reaching for Clady at #5 is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Coogs
03-25-2008, 08:32 AM
I took his words to mean no way he's taking Ryan Clady, which pleases me. Now if I misunderstood and he's going to trade down like the other dude thinks, then so be it but reaching for Clady at #5 is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Someone tried to get into how far Herm would be willing to reach. And Herm said the same thing about probably having 3-4 guys they’ll like, and that if you pick a guy among 3-4 players who are separated in their rating by fractions and decimals, he doesn’t consider that reaching on anybody. I guess that’s as far as he’d be willing to reach, but he didn’t state that for sure.

As hard as it is for some here to admit, Clady is ranked 7th or 8th in most rankings. if the top 4 are gone, Clady could very well be in those next 4 guys. I'm not sure how far the fractions and decimals are apart between position 5 and 8, but Clady could very well be the pick.

- Drafted young defensive players when he got there, now they need more on offense. Feels good about the defensive line, needs to fix the offensive line.

Bit of a tough one there for the definsive line homers.

- Wants a left tackle who’s athletic, who can block speed rushers. One who can go up against the best defensive ends. On third and long, don’t want to worry about turning your protection to him. He thinks Jake Long can be a left tackle.

And that describes Clady pretty well according to the draft guru's. Not a great run blocker, but very good pass protector.

Direckshun
03-25-2008, 08:43 AM
If someone is interested in Huard. ROFL

Hays
03-25-2008, 08:59 AM
- Drafted young defensive players when he got there, now they need more on offense. Feels good about the defensive line, needs to fix the offensive line. Need corners. #2 receiver spot is up for grabs. Need a returner.

- Through about pick 15 to the third round, he thinks there will be a lot of good linemen, corners, running backs, and receivers to take. It’s easy to talk about trading down, but it’s hard to do. They’ll listen to different offers and scenarios and do what’s best for the team at the end.

This would make you think he is looking for Offensive line help with the #5 pick if i read this right. Says he feels good about the dline but then again this could all be smoke

Chiefnj2
03-25-2008, 09:00 AM
If Herm said he drafted DL when he got here and feels good about the DL why do people think Herm is interested in Ellis and Dorsey?

Tribal Warfare
03-25-2008, 09:04 AM
If Herm said he drafted DL when he got here and feels good about the DL why do people think Herm is interested in Ellis and Dorsey?

It doesn't mean it can't get better, because he wants starters and it doesn't have to be a position of "need".

nychief
03-25-2008, 09:34 AM
this team is a tire fire.

Chiefnj2
03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
It doesn't mean it can't get better, because he wants starters and it doesn't have to be a position of "need".

The last two drafts with Herm have been about "need".

xbarretx
03-25-2008, 09:42 AM
yep, Dorsey or Ellis

:grovel:

xbarretx
03-25-2008, 09:44 AM
If someone is interested in Huard. ROFL

is that funny b/c youy think theres no takers? heck look at green to the rams. no im not saying the two are the same, im just saying some teams have a need for seasoned vets.

Hays
03-25-2008, 10:03 AM
is that funny b/c youy think theres no takers? heck look at green to the rams. no im not saying the two are the same, im just saying some teams have a need for seasoned vets.

exactly, the raiders are looking at trent dilfer from the 49ers.
The has been old qb's always get retread somewhere as a 2nd/3rd stringer to help a younger player along.

The bucs are always looking for qb's, they have only what 5 on the roster

Micjones
03-25-2008, 10:11 AM

If Jake Long is off the board I think that would be our best option.
Think about it...

If we traded down to, say, 12th we would add the 40th pick in Round Two.
We could conceivably draft Mike Jenkins, Sam Baker, and Early Doucet.
That'd be one hell of an opening two rounds.

donkhater
03-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Would trading down be such a bad thing?

If Herm is correct in thinking that the first day is loaded with good OL, CB and WR, then they should try to get as many picks in the first day that they can, because in my estimation we need 2 out of each of those positions.

Cast a net and sort out the big fish rather than drop a hook and hope one bites.

beach tribe
03-25-2008, 10:12 AM
If Jake Long is off the board I think that would be our best option.
Think about it...

If we traded down to, say, 12th we would add the 40th pick in Round Two.
We could conceivably draft Mike Jenkins, Sam Baker, and Early Doucet.
That'd be one hell of an opening two rounds.

That would be good for this team, but shhhhh, don't tell anyone.
Edit: except for the baker thing. No. Uh Uh.

RustShack
03-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Tradeing down isn't as easy as everyone thinks... If you want to get value for your pick you just have to hope someone calls you wanting the pick. You can't just be like, hey you with the #12 pick give us half you draft for our pick and they do it no questions.

melbar
03-25-2008, 10:27 AM

Green is a pro-bowl QB who threw for over 4,000 yards 3 years in a row. Huard cant hold Green's jock. Not even in the same class.

Not a position of need sounds like either DL or RB...

RustShack
03-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Green was also a Free Agent, not traded...

beach tribe
03-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Tradeing down isn't as easy as everyone thinks... If you want to get value for your pick you just have to hope someone calls you wanting the pick. You can't just be like, hey you with the #12 pick give us half you draft for our pick and they do it no questions.

You are right, but the scenario has to include that team that wants to trade.
We're going over possibilities, not certainties.

chasedude
03-25-2008, 10:35 AM
- The final questions were about the St. Joe’s thing. Herm thinks it’s good to take things to the fans and the kids since many can’t afford to come to a game. It’s not a tryout to see about moving training camp there.

I have not heard much more about this lately. I know it was getting talked quite a bit in the St. Joe newspaper. The Chiefs want an indoor training facility that the University can't supply. I'd love to see them in St. Joe, too expensive to drive to River Falls and I can't afford the vacation.

Micjones
03-25-2008, 10:39 AM
That would be good for this team, but shhhhh, don't tell anyone.

I'm almost completely sold on trading down (if Jake Long is off the board).
We could collect three potential starters in just two rounds. And we'd free ourselves up to do whatever we wanted in Round Three (Chad Henne?).

The rest of the way we could draft:
Heath Benedict (G) - 4th
John Sullivan (C) - 5th
Owen Schmitt (FB) - 5th
Ben Moffitt (MLB) - 6th
Letroy Guion (DT) - 6th
Alexis Serna (K) - 7th
Adam Kraus (G) - 7th

Micjones
03-25-2008, 10:40 AM

Who said it was easy?
We're talking about the draft a full month prior.
Nothing is certain.

RustShack
03-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Everyone is like if that great RT isn't there we can just trade down like there is no problem. No one ever thinks about the value, or how many great teams have a top 5 pick on thier team. Also the money top 5 picks take to sign make trades harder, and with the time limit of the draft selection being cut down it will make trading even harder... Who wants to give up most of thier picks AND a lot of money for a top 5 pick?

Micjones
03-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Everyone is like if that great RT isn't there we can just trade down like there is no problem.

No one ever suggested it would be easy.
It also won't exactly be rocket science either.
There are a handful of franchise players to be taken in the Top 5.
I can see a team trading (one pick, an R2) to move into the Top 5.

melbar
03-25-2008, 02:02 PM
- Talked about free agents. They have an A list, a B list, and a C list. You want to stay with the As and avoid the Cs, cause you’re grasping when you get to the Cs. He thinks the A and B list guys are gone, but the C list guys will still be there after the draft.
So any free agent who comes in now knows Herm considers them the bottom of the barrel. Does this guy ever think before he speaks? And we wonder why FA's are signing anywhere but here?

el borracho
03-25-2008, 03:09 PM
"- Feels good about the defensive line,

- Wants a left tackle who’s athletic, who can block speed rushers. One who can go up against the best defensive ends. On third and long, don’t want to worry about turning your protection to him."

Soooo, Herm feels good about giving up over 4 yards per carry and is already anticipating a lot of 3rd and long situations.

OnTheWarpath58
03-25-2008, 04:41 PM
No one ever suggested it would be easy.
It also won't exactly be rocket science either.

First, it's only possible if someone ELSE calls US and wants to move up.

Then, you have to agree on compensation. This is all provided that there is a player a team is willing to give up their entire 1st day over falls to our spot.

We have NO CONTROL over moving down. Why people can't understand that is beyond me. Other than they want something else to blame Carl Peterson for when we DON'T trade down.

There are a handful of franchise players to be taken in the Top 5. I can see a team trading (one pick, an R2) to move into the Top 5.

Just curious, when was the last time someone traded INTO the Top 5?

I don't know the exact year offhand, but I know for fact that it was before 2000. It's very likely to have been TEN YEARS or MORE since a trade into the Top 5 occurred.

Not neccessarily pointed directly at you, micjones, but some apparently think we can just snap our fingers and get someone to give us half their draft to move up for one guy, or honestly think that Jerry Jones is going to give up 4 picks for Darren McFadden.

Deberg_1990
03-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Herm doesn’t care how old the kicker is. You’d like a young one to have for a long time, but you need someone who can make the kicks.

I wonder if they would invite Medlock back to camp??

kcchiefsus
03-25-2008, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=Coogs;4648314]

Bit of a tough one there for the definsive line homers.

QUOTE]

Not really. In 2006 Herm talked up Eric Hicks and our other defensive ends then he ended up taking Hali. In 2007 he talked up Hannon and Webb and ended up taking Bowe. Anybody who believes much of what Herm or Carl say this time of year is an idiot.

Plus, Herm said the player we take might not even be a huge need. So regardless of whether Herm thinks DT is a big need or not I have no doubt in my mind he will take Ellis or Dorsey if they are the best player available at that spot. And if Jake Long is gone, then they likely are the best player available at that spot.

How is somebody a defensive line homer? Some people want to see us actually add a good player at DT, something we don't currently have, and we are a "defensive line homer"?

Plus regardless of what Herm says how can anybody really think we are fine on the defensive line? Since McBride is listed as a DE I will assume that is his main position. With him at DE we still have only 3 DE's on the roster. And considering McBride cannot rush the passer off the edge if Hali or Allen go down our pass rush goes to shit. We also only have 3 DT's on the roster: Tyler, Boone, and Edwards. Not a very impressive list if you ask me. We need 1 more DT.

So we currently only have 6 defensive linemen on the roster. That number needs to be around 8 or 9. You do the math. It's not rocket science. The defensive line is the most important part of the defense IMO and our defensive line is below average with our current group of players, even with Allen and Hali. Our DT's are the worst in the league IMO and our depth at DE sucks.

We are not going into the season with our current group of defensive linemen. And I guarantee those other 2 or 3 additions will come from somewhere besides undrafted free agency.

kregger
03-25-2008, 06:05 PM

If Jake Long is gone, they better take either of these two. If all three are gone, then C. Long might be available(highly unlikely). I'd trade down if someone wants McFadden or take Gohlston.

greg63
03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Interesting.