PDA

View Full Version : Man's 'crack cocaine' was made of peanuts, police say

Fire Me Boy!
03-25-2008, 10:22 AM
http://www.dailymail.com/policebrfs/200803200106

Man's 'crack cocaine' was made of peanuts, police say
by The Associated Press

A Charleston man was arrested for allegedly possessing imitation crack cocaine made of peanuts, police said.

A Charleston patrolman was patrolling the 200 block of Daniel Boone Drive Tuesday night about 9 p.m. when an intoxicated male was spotted, according to a criminal complaint filed in Kanawha Magistrate Court.

The man was identified as James Lynn Lacy, 33, of Washington Street West.

Lacy had slurred speech and admitted he had been drinking beer and that he was "f----- up," the complaint said.

He was placed under arrest and then searched.

Lacy was found to have in his possession two bags of imitation crack cocaine, the complaint said.

The suspected drug did not test positive for cocaine base and Lacy said the bags contained half grams of peanuts, the complaint said.

The peanuts were also cut into chunks to make it appear more like crack, the complaint said.
Lacy is charged with public intoxication and creation and possession of an imitation controlled substance.

How the hell is this against the law? It's not like he was trying to sell the peanuts! Jebus.

crazycoffey
03-25-2008, 10:27 AM
I think the charge says it all, what was he going to do with those peanuts anyway, put them on a Sunday?

Frazod
03-25-2008, 10:27 AM
"My client's a moron. That's not against the law." :D

Rooster
03-25-2008, 10:28 AM
"creation and possession of an imitation controlled substance."

WTF??? :spock:

kepp
03-25-2008, 10:29 AM
They better be careful or they'll have to shut down those Dunkin Donuts that they frequent.

Dartgod
03-25-2008, 10:32 AM
How the hell is this against the law? It's not like he was trying to sell the peanuts! Jebus.
My guess is that he was trying to sell them as crack.

kepp
03-25-2008, 10:39 AM

They should have just let him be in that case. Natural selection would have taken care of the situation once the junkies he gave the peanut-crack to got hold of him.

seclark
03-25-2008, 10:41 AM
nut smokers.
sec

chasedude
03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Gimme some Crack!!

Fire Me Boy!
03-25-2008, 10:48 AM

That might be, in which case I'm good with the charge. But that information is not given in the story. Sounded to me like he was drunk on the street, which is why the police stopped him.

chasedude
03-25-2008, 10:52 AM
That might be, in which case I'm good with the charge. But that information is not given in the story. Sounded to me like he was drunk on the street, which is why the police stopped him.

Public intoxication is an arrestable offense

JBucc
03-25-2008, 10:54 AM
I'd like to see the buyer's face when he tried to smoke some peanuts.

Fire Me Boy!
03-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Public intoxication is an arrestable offense

I know. But that's not what they charged him with. My question is not why they stopped him -- they said they saw an intoxicated man on the street. But he was charged, with having something that wasn't drugs that looked like drugs. They didn't say he was trying to pass it off or sell it as drugs.

Pestilence
03-25-2008, 11:06 AM
I know. But that's not what they charged him with. My question is not why they stopped him -- they said they saw an intoxicated man on the street. But he was charged, with having something that wasn't drugs that looked like drugs. They didn't say he was trying to pass it off or sell it as drugs.

Fraud?:spock:

headsnap
03-25-2008, 11:07 AM
It would suck to snort cocaine and die from a peanut allergy...

DaFace
03-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Huh. I never new cocaine looked like peanuts.

Rooster
03-25-2008, 11:15 AM
My uncle was hooked on peanut brittle when I was a kid. It's bad stuff man. His teeth fell out and everything.

pikesome
03-25-2008, 11:16 AM

From the article it looks like there's a law against having fake drugs. I'm not sure I'm happy with that idea but...

acesn8s
03-25-2008, 11:19 AM
What's next? Get arrested for chewable Flintstone's because some asshat says that it looks like a controled substance?

Rooster
03-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Police are now looking for this man. If you have any informtion of his whereabouts please contact crimestoppers.

crazycoffey
03-25-2008, 11:23 AM
From the article it looks like there's a law against having fake drugs. I'm not sure I'm happy with that idea but...

As long as it's used for the LE tool it's supposed to be, I'm for it. But if it turns into another Public Intoxication (seen it misused many times, just for a cheap arrest) than I'm not for it either. Both the officers and the general public really need to think about the spirit of the laws and not just read them in black and white.

Discretion being the better part of valor and all that.....

crazycoffey
03-25-2008, 11:25 AM
What's next? Get arrested for chewable Flintstone's because some asshat says that it looks like a controled substance?

If those vitamins are crushed up, weighed out, put in "dime bags" and you are carring a few of those bags around trying to sell them.....

Yup.

Rain Man
03-25-2008, 11:26 AM

I'd think it would hurt to get a peanut stuck up your nose.

On the law topic, it seems to me like the free market would take care of any sellers of fake drugs pretty quickly. With a bludgeon.

acesn8s
03-25-2008, 11:31 AM
If those vitamins are crushed up, weighed out, put in "dime bags" and you are carring a few of those bags around trying to sell them.....

Yup.Your honor,
My child has braces and is unable to chew food the day after an appoinment. I have these prepackaged so that said child can take the vitamins with a glass of milk and not overdose. Is there a law against that...sir?

pikesome
03-25-2008, 11:31 AM

On the law topic, it seems to me like the free market would take care of any sellers of fake drugs pretty quickly. With a bludgeon.

Maybe that's the reason for the "no fake drugs" law.

Ok, probably not.

pikesome
03-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Your honor,
My child has braces and is unable to chew food the day after an appoinment. I have these prepackaged so that said child can take the vitamins with a glass of milk and not overdose. Is there a law against that...sir?

Apparently there is.

crazycoffey
03-25-2008, 11:48 AM

Right, but even those acts, while it's easy to feel like we can/want to accept them, are illegal acts.

crazycoffey
03-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Your honor,

fine and good sir, except you were selling them for $10 dollars apiece on the corner of 8th and main to children that are not your own....

stlchiefs
03-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Reminds me of when I was in college, living in an at times questionable neighborhood in KC around Rockhurst Univ. There was a family living next door with a couple young boys (around 6 and 8 y/o) who we'd talk to when they were outside and sometimes play ball with. One day while we were drinking outside the kids came to our door with ziploc baggies filled with grass and tried to sell us some "weed"!!!. The oldest kid was 8 and he was trying to deal drugs.

We laughed and told them to go across the street to ask some of our friends who were wasted because they'd have a better chance of selling it to them

Fire Me Boy!
03-25-2008, 12:24 PM

Which is the point I'm trying to make... they're now arresting people for having something that isn't actually anything. To paraphrase A Few Good Men, it's like arresting a man for having a dime bag of oregano. And that, IMO, is stupid.

Pestilence
03-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Your honor,

Why are you drunk and carrying all of them on you at once?

acesn8s
03-25-2008, 12:33 PM
fine and good sir, except you were selling them for $10 dollars apiece on the corner of 8th and main to children that are not your own....
Nothing was said about him selling his peanuts. He was just in possession of a controlled peanut.:eek:

blueballs
03-25-2008, 12:35 PM
I got a $15 bj from a hooker
with fake boobs-hairweave and caligen lips
I was frauded

acesn8s
03-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Why are you drunk and carrying all of them on you at once?
What I thought was "near beer" was actually beer.

crazycoffey
03-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Nothing was said about him selling his peanuts. He was just in possession of a controlled peanut.:eek:

Nothing was said about the peanuts being from DQ for sunday toppings either, because it was a news article and we don't have access to the police report, now do we.....

xbarretx
03-25-2008, 12:48 PM

http://www.halloween-mask.com/morris2005/napoleon_dynamite_ru3490mor.jpg

acesn8s
03-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Nothing was said about the peanuts being from DQ for sunday toppings either, because it was a news article and we don't have access to the police report, now do we.....Sure we do. Just go to the courthouse in Charleston and get it.

We wll stay here and wait.

Pitt Gorilla
03-25-2008, 12:51 PM
From the article it looks like there's a law against having fake drugs. I'm not sure I'm happy with that idea but...Can we possess powdered sugar?

xbarretx
03-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Can we possess powdered sugar?

only if its coke pretending to be powdered sugar. powdered sugar by itself = life in a federeal pound me in the :cuss: prison"

pikesome
03-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Can we possess powdered sugar?

I didn't make the law. Someone needs to get a legislator on the phone and bitch.

CosmicPal
03-25-2008, 02:19 PM

http://z.about.com/d/alcoholism/1/0/E/v/1/cocaine06.jpg

CosmicPal
03-25-2008, 02:30 PM
When reading the article, I was wondering if the cop didn't mistake the imitation crack cocaine for heroin. I would think heroin would look more like crushed up peanuts than crack cocaine.

http://www.talktofrank.com/uploadedImages/Drugs/LARGE%20PHOTOS_heroin.jpg

eazyb81
03-25-2008, 02:40 PM
I always thought bar soap was the classic way to imitate crack. I wonder why this dummy used peanuts.

POND_OF_RED
03-25-2008, 03:24 PM
So how much do you think the cops tried before they found out it was fake?

acesn8s
03-25-2008, 03:29 PM
So how much do you think the cops tried before they found out it was fake?
That is why he got busted. The cop was pissed that he got jobbed.

Rain Man
03-25-2008, 03:32 PM
"Take me out to the drug game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and Crack, you Jack,
I don't care if you never come back,
Let me root, root, root for the drug squad,
If they don't score it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
In the old drug game."