PDA

View Full Version : Cord Banking - Any experience?

DaneMcCloud
03-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey All:

As some of you know, my wife and I are expecting our first child in less than four weeks. As new "older" parents (I'm 42 and my wife is 35), we've taken the time to familiarize ourselves with the entire birth process, read a ton of baby books, etc.

We just finished watching a DVD about the labor process and Cord Banking was explained in detail and recommended. We had a brief discussion with our OB/Gyn back around week 10 when at that time, we pretty much dismissed the option.

Now that we're getting closer to the birth, we're re-visiting it. The cost is approximately $4,000.00 for the entire process and storage for 25 years and I imagine that the benefits will grow during that period.

Has anyone here elected to Cord Bank? Positives or negatives?

Thanks for any input!

Deberg_1990
03-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey All:

As some of you know, my wife and I are expecting our first child in less than four weeks. As new "older" parents (I'm 42 and my wife is 35), we've taken the time to familiarize ourselves with the entire birth process, read a ton of baby books, etc.

We just finished watching a DVD about the labor process and Cord Banking was explained in detail and recommended. We had a brief discussion with our OB/Gyn back around week 10 when at that time, we pretty much dismissed the option.

Now that we're getting closer to the birth, we're re-visiting it. The cost is approximately $4,000.00 for the entire process and storage for 25 years and I imagine that the benefits will grow during that period.

Has anyone here elected to Cord Bank? Positives or negatives?

Thanks for any input!

Dane, ive got 2 kids myself and ive never heard of this??

Care to explain?? Is this some "New Age" SoCal thing??

DaneMcCloud
03-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Dane, ive got 2 kids myself and ive never heard of this??

Care to explain?? Is this some "New Age" SoCal thing??

No, it's not limited to SoCal.

It's a process where they take the blood from the umbilical cord and store it for an indeterminate period. So far, scientists and doctors have been able to cure 40 different diseases using the stem cell blood from the cord. The only con is that it can only be used once (i.e., to cure one strain of cancer, etc. You can't go "back to the well" as it were).

There are several companies across the US that provide the service. We've been told that Via Cord is the best (http://www.viacord.com/).

I'd hate NOT to do it, only to have wished I had done it down the road.

Sully
03-25-2008, 08:26 PM
My wife and I discussed this with our doctor at the 14-week appointment, and he wasn't dismissive of it, but told us to do a lot of research before spending that kind of money on it.
I think the money issue was what has made us put it out of our minds, a bit. Though if that wasn't as steep, we'd certainly return to the thoughts.

JBucc
03-25-2008, 08:26 PM
I bet there's a big bucket of umbilical cords in the back of most hospitals. You know how some people collect buckets of grease and turn it into fuel? I bet you could collect umbilical cords and sell it as a delicacy in Asia.

Wait that's gross, why did I think of that?

DaneMcCloud
03-25-2008, 08:28 PM
My wife and I discussed this with our doctor at the 14-week appointment, and he wasn't dismissive of it, but told us to do a lot of research before spending that kind of money on it.
I think the money issue was what has made us put it out of our minds, a bit. Though if that wasn't as steep, we'd certainly return to the thoughts.

That's kinda where we're at.

Broken down over 25 years, it's only $160 a year. That seems quite a bit more palatable and given the benefits, it's likely that we'll go ahead and do it.

Deberg_1990
03-25-2008, 08:29 PM
I bet there's a big bucket of umbilical cords in the back of most hospitals. You know how some people collect buckets of grease and turn it into fuel? I bet you could collect umbilical cords and sell it as a delicacy in Asia.

Wait that's gross, why did I think of that?

Its right next to the big bucket of Midgets. ROFL

Iowanian
03-25-2008, 08:43 PM
We had #2 within the past week. They clipped off the chord, I cut it twice, and the chord blood was donated.

If you have a son, they will likely ask about donating the foreskin for skin grafts for burn victims, or eyelids for michael jackson.

Wait until you see what they do with the afterbirth.....

Congratulations. Sleep now.

DaneMcCloud
03-25-2008, 08:46 PM
We had #2 within the past week. They clipped off the chord, I cut it twice, and the chord blood was donated.

If you have a son, they will likely ask about donating the foreskin for skin grafts for burn victims, or eyelids for michael jackson.

Congratulations. Sleep now.

Congrats to you as well! That's awesome!

Thanks for the info. I think we're at about 99% that we're doing it.

Congrats again!

stlchiefs
03-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Don't tell me you didn't eat yours. :Lin:

eazyb81
03-25-2008, 08:53 PM
This thread has been officially rated as: Disgusting

Iowanian
03-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Don't tell me you didn't eat yours. :Lin:

Well, not until after the doc had poked around in it, checked for the proper color and whatever else she looked for. It could have used a little salt.

Chiefnj2
03-25-2008, 09:25 PM
That's not a bad deal. I think most places around the NY area charge 2,000 - 3,000 for the initial fee and then a yearly freeze fee of several hundred.

ClevelandBronco
03-26-2008, 01:48 AM
You'd be better off putting your money into this Cord:

http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/showroom/1937/bwcordb.jpg

Fat Elvis
03-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Both of our kids have thier cord blood saved, though at different places. Basically, all cord blood storage/registries are pretty much the same. The difference between our two kids storage facilities is on the second kid there was the option for two separate storage areas for the blood, kind of a back-up scenario in case of a natural disaster or something took out one storage facility. Like you, we pretty much felt is was better to be safe than sorry. With all the advances in medicine these days, who knows what they will be able to use the blood for when the kids are older, if they should happen to need it.