PDA

View Full Version : Quotations

irishjayhawk
03-26-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry but there are way too many retarded quotes going around these parts.

Look no further than numero uno:

Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

If that isn't an embodiment of everything nationalistic, I don't know what is. It's as close to Nazi/Stalinistic propaganda there is. There have been others, I just forgot to write this post when it occurred to me.

We're fighting "fascism" it seems yet people commonly quote things that are inherently fascist or have implications of fascism.

I just don't get it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-26-2008, 05:59 PM
The only thing to get is that most people actually enjoy being told what to do, they are comfortable giving up the reigns to their own autonomy, and they are comfortable being lied to.

a1na2
03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm sorry but there are way too many retarded quotes going around these parts.

Look no further than numero uno:

If that isn't an embodiment of everything nationalistic, I don't know what is. It's as close to Nazi/Stalinistic propaganda there is. There have been others, I just forgot to write this post when it occurred to me.

We're fighting "fascism" it seems yet people commonly quote things that are inherently fascist or have implications of fascism.

I just don't get it.

That's because you are an idiot coward asshole. Ever think of that?

I didn't come up with that statement, it was from a politician from the late 70's. Take it up with him.

ClevelandBronco
03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Like this one?

"To abjure violence is a luxury which a delicate few enjoy only because others stand ready to do violence in their behalf."
— George Orwell

BucEyedPea
03-26-2008, 06:28 PM
One of my faves is:

"Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!"

Ultra Peanut
03-26-2008, 06:56 PM
That's because you are an idiot coward asshole. Ever think of that?

I didn't come up with that statement, it was from a politician from the late 70's. Take it up with him.Was that politician... HITLER?!?!?!?!

Fishpicker
03-26-2008, 06:57 PM
“What we in America call terrorists are really groups of people that reject the international system…"

this one has always bothered me

a1na2
03-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Was that politician... HITLER?!?!?!?!

Not very well versed in time and politics I see.

Get a grip idiot.

BucEyedPea
03-26-2008, 07:07 PM
OMG Fishpicker ....that is really a freaky quote. But I have to say I saw a You Tube of Kissinger on PBS where he says they are building an international society. Yuck! He's an advisor to Cheney too. The little worm.

a1na2
03-26-2008, 07:12 PM
OMG Fishpicker ....that is really a freaky quote. But I have to say I saw a You Tube of Kissinger on PBS where he says they are building an international society. Yuck! He's an advisor to Cheney too. The little worm.

I'd say that his understanding of world politics and activities far our measure anything you can come up with.

What's wrong? You can't face the facts of life and politics on earth today?

Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1973

Henry Alfred Kissinger was the 56th Secretary of State of the United States from 1973 to 1977, continuing to hold the position of Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs which he first assumed in 1969 until 1975. After leaving government service, he founded Kissinger Associates, an international consulting firm, of which he is chairman.

Dr. Kissinger was born in Fuerth, Germany, on May 27, 1923, came to the United States in 1938, and was naturalized a United States citizen on June 19, 1943. He received the BA Degree Summa Cum Laude at Harvard College in 1950 and the MA and PhD Degrees at Harvard University in 1952 and 1954 respectively.

When your credentials get within a million miles of his you might be taken a little more seriously.

Fishpicker
03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
what are you babbling on about Tom? I said it bothered me. it bugs BEP too. thats all that was communicated. we dont need credentials to offer our opinions on a BB. try to be a bit more relevant, please.

Ultra Peanut
03-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Not very well versed in time and politics I see.

Get a grip idiot.Haha.

a1na2
03-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Haha.

What a retort.

I guess you forgot time as well. What a smaultz.

unlurking
03-26-2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.nordinho.net/vbull/gallery/files/4/5/6/7/poke.jpg

Sully
03-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Hook, line and unintelligent.

a1na2
03-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Hook, line and unintelligent.

Nailed yourself, dead on.

Sully
03-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Nailed yourself, dead on.

You got me.
The "I'm rubber, you're glue" defense always trips me up. Well played, sir.

a1na2
03-26-2008, 09:03 PM
You got me.
The "I'm rubber, you're glue" defense always trips me up. Well played, sir.

You are really fckd tonight. I was only making a statement about your inability to post.

Go drink a beer or 10. You are really losing control tonight. I expect better of you than what you've been spewing out.

Give up for the night.

patteeu
03-26-2008, 11:58 PM
What's wrong with nationalism? There is nothing wrong with having a preference for your home culture over that of others. Seriously..., if I didn't prefer the culture of the US, I'd move somewhere else where I'd be more happy. I'm not saying others should take this advice, just that I would. If you like living somewhere where you think things suck, more power to you (unless you're both a productivity sink AND a whining, America-loathing malcontent in which case I'd prefer you leave). The anti-patriotism that masquerades as patriotism these days is really disturbing.

irishjayhawk
03-27-2008, 10:24 AM
What's wrong with nationalism? There is nothing wrong with having a preference for your home culture over that of others. Seriously..., if I didn't prefer the culture of the US, I'd move somewhere else where I'd be more happy. I'm not saying others should take this advice, just that I would. If you like living somewhere where you think things suck, more power to you (unless you're both a productivity sink AND a whining, America-loathing malcontent in which case I'd prefer you leave). The anti-patriotism that masquerades as patriotism these days is really disturbing.

The I'll-defend-America-regardless-of-what-happens mantra is really disturbing. And there is a problem with nationalism. There is not a problem with patriotism. Nationalism, as seen through history, is unequivocally bad. I might add that I would think anti-patriotism masquerading as patriotism really describes the American Revolution.

patteeu
03-27-2008, 10:31 AM
The I'll-defend-America-regardless-of-what-happens mantra is really disturbing. And there is a problem with nationalism. There is not a problem with patriotism. Nationalism, as seen through history, is unequivocally bad. I might add that I would think anti-patriotism masquerading as patriotism really describes the American Revolution.

I don't know of anyone who has the attitude of "I'll-defend-America-regardless-of-what-happens".

If you define "nationalism" as "excessive patriotism" then, by definition, it's bad. That's not the only way "nationalism" can be defined and I don't see any "excessive patriotism" in our society at all. I do see "anti-patriotism masquerading as patriotism" though. And I agree that it is revolutionary in nature* which, as someone who is happy with the country we live in, isn't an attitude that I welcome.

------------
* although in most cases, pretty unseriously so

Mr. Kotter
03-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Nice.... :rolleyes:

Like anyone more than a handfull of kooks are really like that....nice red herring.

a1na2
03-27-2008, 12:49 PM

Like anyone more than a handfull of kooks are really like that....nice red herring.

Mr. Kotter, you just have to consider the source.

Besides, this thread started with a direct insult to my signature line. He is just out baiting for an argument basied on his blaise expectations as a liberal.

If you would like to see a few of the many times this exact quote is made, and where you can do a simple google.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=Patriotic+dissent+is+a+luxury+of+those+protected+by+better+men+than+they.&btnG=Google+Search

Others have used it and I was thinking I had found an originator from the late '70's but I did not find it this time around, but here were several indications that it was anonymous.

Brock
03-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Tom, you're just a scared little dickhead. I don't read your crazy stalker PMs, I think I already told you that. As for my leaving you negative rep, there's going to be a lot more of it coming your way.

Logical
03-27-2008, 02:13 PM
:clap:

Logical
03-27-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't know of anyone who has the attitude of "I'll-defend-America-regardless-of-what-happens".

If you define "nationalism" as "excessive patriotism" then, by definition, it's bad. That's not the only way "nationalism" can be defined and I don't see any "excessive patriotism" in our society at all. I do see "anti-patriotism masquerading as patriotism" though. And I agree that it is revolutionary in nature* which, as someone who is happy with the country we live in, isn't an attitude that I welcome.

------------

Evidently you have not become acquainted with a1na2

irishjayhawk
03-27-2008, 03:37 PM

------------

There is a difference between nationalism and patriotism. I would not call loyalty to the Nazi party "patriotism" or even "excessive patriotism." There is a distinction and I don't think you can argue otherwise.

Can you define "anti-patriotism"? I don't understand what that is. Is it being against excessive patriotism or the extremist version called nationalism, under which Tom's quote falls? Is it people mad at the administration? Is it people who point out that the country has gone very downhill? What is "anti-patriotism"? Is it people who get mad at any sign of patriotism itself?

I have to say that patteeu and Radar Chief come closest. Just as, I am sure, I come close in their book to being a nutcase of all things Anti-American.

a1na2
03-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Tom, you're just a scared little dickhead. I don't read your crazy stalker PMs, I think I already told you that. As for my leaving you negative rep, there's going to be a lot more of it coming your way.

I just commented that you were a coward for the rep comment without having the balls to post on the board.

I think you are outright lying about reading the PM because you addressed it exactly in the comment above.

Eat your chickenshit and die.

a1na2
03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Evidently you have not become acquainted with a1na2

Apparently neither have you. You don't have a clue as to what I'm about or what I believe. All you know is what you can read here .... if you can actually read and comprehend.

patteeu
03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
There is a difference between nationalism and patriotism. I would not call loyalty to the Nazi party "patriotism" or even "excessive patriotism." There is a distinction and I don't think you can argue otherwise.

Can you define "anti-patriotism"? I don't understand what that is. Is it being against excessive patriotism or the extremist version called nationalism, under which Tom's quote falls? Is it people mad at the administration? Is it people who point out that the country has gone very downhill? What is "anti-patriotism"? Is it people who get mad at any sign of patriotism itself?

I have to say that patteeu and Radar Chief come closest. Just as, I am sure, I come close in their book to being a nutcase of all things Anti-American.

You can look up the word "nationalism" as easily as I can in the dictionary. When you do, you will notice that some of it's definitions carry objectionable connotations, but not all of them. To the extent you choose to use the word in it's most objectionable sense, I don't see much of that in our country.

Anti-patriotism would be some form of disloyalty or treachery toward our country. Hoping for failure in Iraq would qualify even if the person hoping for that result is only doing so to discredit George W. Bush to pave the way for the glorious return of the democrats to power, IMO. I also think it includes people who care more about international "objectivity" (as if every country and every culture is equally good) rather than what is best for their own country. I see plenty of both of these things these days.

Logical
03-27-2008, 06:32 PM

I have to say that patteeu and Radar Chief come closest. Just as, I am sure, I come close in their book to being a nutcase of all things Anti-American.Just so you know Radar Chief is indeed a Patriot. I still believe patteeu has taken up my old mantle of BB conservative hornery f*ck

ClevelandBronco
03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Just so you know Radar Chief is indeed a Patriot. I still believe patteeu has taken up my old mantle of BB conservative hornery f*ck

patteeu. You old "hornery f*ck," you.

SBK
03-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Just so you know Radar Chief is indeed a Patriot. I still believe patteeu has taken up my old mantle of BB conservative hornery f*ck

And it seems you've taken Denises old spot. This board has changed a lot recently. :D

SBK
03-27-2008, 09:05 PM
The only thing to get is that most people actually enjoy being told what to do, they are comfortable giving up the reigns to their own autonomy, and they are comfortable being lied to.

Sounds like a good description of liberalism to me. Can I get a second?