PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best place to get a Mens suit in the KC area?

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Just figured i'd get some opinions on this. i usually go to K&G but I was wondering what (if any) are better places to go. i would base this decision on

(not in this order)
1 - style
2 - price (willing to pay for quality and looks...NOT BRAND NAME)
3- variety
4 - customer service/tailoring
5 - quality

Again i love my K&G...just tossing this question out as i need to increase my suit wardrobe.

p.s. the only other place i hear of is mens warehouse but i hear there kinda pricey?

alpha_omega
03-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Nordstrom

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Nordstrom

ok let me clarify Alpha, im NOT looking to break the bank. i will retract this comment if for some reason mens suits are the only reasonably priced item at Nordstroms. to be honest i never look in there anymore b/c i have better ways to spend triple digits.

thanks though :toast:

Rep regardless man :)

crazycoffey
03-27-2008, 02:23 PM
:shrug: J.C. Penny's - Menswarehouse - walmart....

eazyb81
03-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Brooks Brothers.

You need to have a nice suit.

tyton75
03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Jos A. Bank

more expensive but awesome suits... SUIT UP!

eazyb81
03-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Hickey Freeman would be another nice choice.

alpha_omega
03-27-2008, 02:27 PM
ok let me clarify Alpha, im NOT looking to break the bank. i will retract this comment if for some reason mens suits are the only reasonably priced item at Nordstroms. to be honest i never look in there anymore b/c i have better ways to spend triple digits.

I understand. Since you put price at #2 and then said they were in no particular order...i figured it was not necessarily your top concern.

Given that....if it is not too far for you, you might at least check it out and see what is available. Their service is 2nd to none! You will pay a little more, but you can still get a decent deal on a very nice suit.

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Brooks Brothers.

is there a brooks around here anymore?

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 02:28 PM
I understand. Since you put price at #2 and then said they were in no particular order...i figured it was not necessarily your top concern.

Given that....if it is not too far for you, you might at least check it out and see what is available. Their service is 2nd to none! You will pay a little more, but you can still get a decent deal on a very nice suit.

sweet, i will then. i guess i need at least one "AMAZING" suit for really important stuff. thanks again :) and good call on the location.

eazyb81
03-27-2008, 02:28 PM
is there a brooks around here anymore?

CC Plaza.

Rain Man
03-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Is there a Neiman Marcus Last Call in KC? You can get great value on suits there.

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Jos A. Bank

more expensive but awesome suits... SUIT UP!

any time i go to oak park i get intimadated by that place. by expense im willing to spend around 200 - 300 for something very nice. however, i like my K&G b/c not everyones a suit connoisseur and i can get buy with a suit that costs around 150.

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Is there a Neiman Marcus Last Call in KC? You can get great value on suits there.

na, i checked the closest neiman is st louis. maybe next time i go to the wine tour ill check it out :thumb:

Stewie
03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.rickstailoringandmenswear.com/

eazyb81
03-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Dave Stewart could probably get you a discount at Harold Pener. :hmmm:

noa
03-27-2008, 02:40 PM
I got a couple suits at Peter's Clothiers that I really like.

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 02:41 PM
ok Coffey... are you messin with me? does Walmart really have suits? LMAO

dont get me started on the cops and quotas discussion again ;)

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 02:41 PM
I got a couple suits at Peter's Clothiers that I really like.

theres one of thats at metcalf and college right?

noa
03-27-2008, 02:45 PM
theres one of thats at metcalf and college right?

Yeah, exactly. The guys who run that place are really nice. Its a good family business.

Demonpenz
03-27-2008, 02:46 PM
not willing to spend in triple digits lol

SBK
03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Target has suits now for cheapskates.

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 02:51 PM
not willing to spend in triple digits lol

i didnt mean that on suits.. i meant that anything there is overly inflated. i dont think you can get a Tee in there for under 85 bucks. ;)

so yes i know ill spend more for suits, the main idea behind this thread was for places to go and you guys are giving me ideas. Much appreciated :clap: triple digits is why i made the rebutal in regards to if suits are the only non overly priced item ;) im interested in buying for looks not name. make sense? :)

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Target has suits now for cheapskates.

i will FMP my initial post just for you SBK ;)

Uncle_Ted
03-27-2008, 02:56 PM
What .. no love for Harold Penner's?

:)

crazycoffey
03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
ok Coffey... are you messin with me? does Walmart really have suits? LMAO

dont get me started on the cops and quotas discussion again ;)

If I hit my quota for the year I get a $25 gift certificate to Walmart and I've picked up two suits for just under $30.

:p
I have no idea....

BWillie
03-27-2008, 03:12 PM
I always hear commercials on 610 for "DAN DAN the TAYLOR MAN". They say you can get a $1800 suit for $300 made out of fine Italian imported fabric. Free adjustments for life of the suit as well. Don't know how good he is, but you might wan to check it out. Anybody know if these are good suits?

Sure-Oz
03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Where does nick lowry go for his suits

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 03:30 PM
I always hear commercials on 610 for "DAN DAN the TAYLOR MAN". They say you can get a $1800 suit for $300 made out of fine Italian imported fabric. Free adjustments for life of the suit as well. Don't know how good he is, but you might wan to check it out. Anybody know if these are good suits?

now thats the kind of post I LOKE TO READ!

is that the name of the shop "dan the taylor"?

BWillie
03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
now thats the kind of post I LOKE TO READ!

is that the name of the shop "dan the taylor"?

http://www.italianmadesuits.com/

Looks like that is his website. I might check it out as well.

Delano
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Go wherever G.O.B. gets his suits.

They might be a little pricey though.

OnTheWarpath58
03-27-2008, 04:01 PM
I gotta go with Mens Wearhouse.

I've bought almost every suit I own there. The customer service is phenomenal, and the quality is second to none.

The last one I bought was a 3 button Andrew Fezza - was over $600 at Nordstrom, bought it for $210 at MW.

Deberg_1990
03-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Target

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 04:12 PM
I gotta go with Mens Wearhouse.

I've bought almost every suit I own there. The customer service is phenomenal, and the quality is second to none.

The last one I bought was a 3 button Andrew Fezza - was over $600 at Nordstrom, bought it for $210 at MW.

so they custom tailor like K&G ? i always love that. i may have to check them out b/c theres a MW at blackbob and 135th next to the walmart. my kids go to daycare near there.

i had always heard that they were a bit pricey but if thats the case ill give them a look after all. so i dont have to worry about wearing a suit all day twice a week (just meaning that it can take some mileage) and wont go to shambles if i even attempt such a task?

i owe you some rep bro! :hail:

CoMoChief
03-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Carl Peterson uses Mens Warehouse.

stlchiefs
03-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Men's Warehouse. You'll like the way you look.

I guarantee it.

Donger
03-27-2008, 04:54 PM
by expense im willing to spend around 200 - 300 for something very nice.

Maybe they'll throw in one for free and really f*ck you.

Donger
03-27-2008, 04:56 PM
It's "Men's Wearhouse," you knobs. Get it? "Wear."

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Maybe they'll throw in one for free and really f*ck you.

Donger, are you mocking my price range? im not an exec level employee just yet so i dont really have 900 to drop on a suit. 200 - 300 gets you something decent.

eazyb81
03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Carl Peterson uses Mens Warehouse.

If true, that's embarrassing.

OnTheWarpath58
03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
so they custom tailor like K&G ? i always love that. i may have to check them out b/c theres a MW at blackbob and 135th next to the walmart. my kids go to daycare near there.

i had always heard that they were a bit pricey but if thats the case ill give them a look after all. so i dont have to worry about wearing a suit all day twice a week (just meaning that it can take some mileage) and wont go to shambles if i even attempt such a task?

i owe you some rep bro! :hail:

They'll tailor same day, if necessary, and do damn good work.

There's no reason you couldn't walk out of there with a high-quality suit for under $250-300, including tailoring.

Mine have held up exceptionally well. For the money, I would look at either Andrew Fezza or Jones-New York.

Donger
03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Donger, are you mocking my price range? im not an exec level employee just yet so i dont really have 900 to drop on a suit. 200 - 300 gets you something decent.

Honestly, I have three suits and I have no idea what they cost. The wife did all the work. But, when she says, "You deserve it," it usually means "don't ask what it cost."

Simply Red
03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Brooks Brothers.

B.B. is butta, I totally dig there clothes. Chiefly because they last for years and years.

Simply Red
03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Lots of options out there. I'd recommend opening a Macy's account to get the disco. w/ the purchase. Calvin Klein make very nice looking ones. I like the navy w/ pnstrp. Got mine for about 280.00. Have it dry-cleaned and it will last you many yrs. Buy/get a suit cover for hanging up during the pimp off-season.

rocks
03-27-2008, 09:07 PM
I have been wearing HSM Gold Trumpeter suits for 14 years now and they are great. You can usually buy them in the $500 range. If there is a Dillards in KC/Overland Park check them out. They look and wear great!

Jenson71
03-27-2008, 09:09 PM
T.J Maxx

a1na2
03-27-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm cheap. I go to S&K.

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm cheap. I go to S&K.

i know K&G but whats S&K?

Delano
03-27-2008, 09:51 PM

http://www.skmenswear.com/skmenswear/Homepage.aspx

Joie
03-27-2008, 09:53 PM
There is a Brooks Brothers at Legends and at the Plaza. If you want to get an idea of pricing and such go to www.brooksbrothers.com

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 09:55 PM
http://www.skmenswear.com/skmenswear/Homepage.aspx

argh, wichita and topeka :( and branson or joplin :(

my mom lives near the topeka one... online shows good prices. once i check out Menswarehose ill check them too. thanks peeps :toast:

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 09:57 PM
There is a Brooks Brothers at Legends and at the Plaza. If you want to get an idea of pricing and such go to www.brooksbrothers.com

yeah the $900 suits look dashing :) maybe with any luck i can get them to have another outlet at the "crappy" great mall. ;) :p

thanks once again Joie ;)

Joie
03-27-2008, 10:01 PM
yeah the $900 suits look dashing :) maybe with any luck i can get them to have another outlet at the "crappy" great mall. ;) :p

Hey, they're nice suits. I never said you wouldn't have to sell a kidney to buy one. :)

I was flipping through the catalog at work one day....oh my hell. They have purses that cost more than my freaking wedding gown!

xbarretx
03-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Hey, they're nice suits. I never said you wouldn't have to sell a kidney to buy one. :)

I was flipping through the catalog at work one day....oh my hell. They have purses that cost more than my freaking wedding gown!

touché ;)

as for the purses..dont tell my wife that....she already has 6 mother :cuss: Coach's :cuss: :)

Phobia
03-27-2008, 10:59 PM

You can get good sales at Brooks Brothers. I have a couple of suits and a sport coat from there. It's nice stuff. I don't think I spent more than $1k for all that and several shirts.

a1na2
03-27-2008, 11:07 PM

Probably alot further south than you would want to travel.

Simply Red
03-27-2008, 11:10 PM

yeah, I agree that, that is too high. Some manufacturers sell high quality again; for roughly 300.00, I'd open a Dilliards or Macys card and put it on that. That way you'll get the disct. and pay it off over a couple of mos. or so. Best route to buy a suite that will last yrs. and yrs..

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Try the cemetary. Bring a shovel, and look for a mound of fresh dirt. Tailor to fit.

Rain Man
03-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Honestly, I have three suits and I have no idea what they cost. The wife did all the work. But, when she says, "You deserve it," it usually means "don't ask what it cost."

Actually, you can read that the other way, too. Is your wife passive-aggressive?

xbarretx
03-28-2008, 09:24 AM
yeah, I agree that, that is too high. Some manufacturers sell high quality again; for roughly 300.00, I'd open a Dilliards or Macys card and put it on that. That way you'll get the disct. and pay it off over a couple of mos. or so. Best route to buy a suite that will last yrs. and yrs..

god bless you... you make me feel brand new.... LMAO

thanks Red for a moment i was fearing that my 300 buck price tag was making me look like a garbage dwelling hobo.. :huh:

:toast:

xbarretx
03-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Actually, you can read that the other way, too. Is your wife passive-aggressive?

LMAO QFT

eazyb81
03-28-2008, 09:50 AM
B.B. is butta, I totally dig there clothes. Chiefly because they last for years and years.

Exactly. That's what people forget when going suit shopping - quality suits last for years, while the cheaper suits fall apart much faster.

xbarretx
03-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Exactly. That's what people forget when going suit shopping - quality suits last for years, while the cheaper suits fall apart much faster.

which is why i mentioned qualty in my list of items i look for ;) ill check them out and see if i can get lucky and some specials...

King_Chief_Fan
03-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Mens Warehouse

"You will like the way you look, we gurantee it"

BigOlChiefsfan
03-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I've had pretty good luck with these guys when they have a sale going on.

Jos A Bank (http://www.josbank.com/HomePage.process?&source=google&keyword=jos+a.+bank)

It's 'out of date' but I'd still suggest you read 'Dress for Success' if you haven't read it - still has some good advice on how to spend your money well. 'Conservative business attire' doesn't change that much, despite what the GQ crowd tries to tell us.

Dress for success (http://www.amazon.com/John-Molloys-New-Dress-Success/dp/0446385522/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206721348&sr=8-1)
I'd get it at the library or pick up a 2nd hand copy, spend the money you save on really good shoes. (I worked with a wise old cowboy once who said to 'buy the best boots and bed you can afford. You're in one or the other all day'.)

xbarretx
03-28-2008, 01:07 PM
I've had pretty good luck with these guys when they have a sale going on.

Jos A Bank (http://www.josbank.com/HomePage.process?&source=google&keyword=jos+a.+bank)

It's 'out of date' but I'd still suggest you read 'Dress for Success' if you haven't read it - still has some good advice on how to spend your money well. 'Conservative business attire' doesn't change that much, despite what the GQ crowd tries to tell us.

Dress for success (http://www.amazon.com/John-Molloys-New-Dress-Success/dp/0446385522/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206721348&sr=8-1)
I'd get it at the library or pick up a 2nd hand copy, spend the money you save on really good shoes. (I worked with a wise old cowboy once who said to 'buy the best boots and bed you can afford. You're in one or the other all day'.)

ill pick it up tonight (the book i mean) im current reading the sun also rises - hemmingway
i jsut re-read The Prince, reread the art of war, and catcher in the rye

xbarretx
03-28-2008, 01:09 PM

LOL!!!

xbarretx
03-28-2008, 01:15 PM
I have been wearing HSM Gold Trumpeter suits for 14 years now and they are great. You can usually buy them in the $500 range. If there is a Dillards in KC/Overland Park check them out. They look and wear great!

ill check that out this weekend too :thumb:

im cool with spending that much if its "my best suit" and will last me the rest of my life... just like the quote in fight club

"In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway."

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/Brad-Pitt---Fight-Club--C10042079.jpeg

stlchiefs
03-28-2008, 01:15 PM
god bless you... you make me feel brand new.... LMAO

thanks Red for a moment i was fearing that my 300 buck price tag was making me look like a garbage dwelling hobo.. :huh:

:toast:

I've never spent more than $175 for a suit and never bought one that wasn't originally priced above $500+. I always try to hit up the department stores (Macy's, Dillards) in early January for the after Christmas sales. I don't know if you're on a time crunch to buy a new suit now, but if you can wait this is always a good time to look.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Dillards had all their suits half off and then sometimes they'll do additional on top of that. I got a Hartt Shaffner Marx suit 2 weeks ago that was nearly $700 for $185.

blaise
03-28-2008, 02:22 PM
I won a suit from Dan Dan the Tailor Man off 610, but I haven't got it yet. I need to go down there.

BigOlChiefsfan
03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Seconded. I always buy a lot of stuff at 'end of season' sales, too. Stuff like blue blazers or harris tweed sportscoats never really go out of style, and a $400 coat from Macy's or Jack Henry marked down to $200 will last a lot longer than an 'always priced' $200 one.

One other trick - find a good tailor, a separate thing from finding a good suit on sale. Some good tailors are at local 'premium' men's clothiers, others can be found at dry cleaners - have to ask around. I'd buy a suit on sale at Macy's (or Saks/Wolff bros in the old days) and take it to Jack Henry to be fitted, as sale items are often not 'free tailoring' like a full price suit will be. A $300 suit fitted by a $1000 tailor can look like $850, if you catch my drift.

I had to wear all-cotton, buttondown shirts w/tie as my 'costume' for 20 years or so. FWIW, I found that Land's End 'Hyde Park' (http://www.landsend.com/pp/LongSleeveButtondownHydeParkShirt~10667_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::WHI&CM_MERCH=IDX_00001__0000000009&origin=index)buttondown oxford shirts were a good investment. They held up well thru frequent laundering/starching/pressing at commercial cleaners. Not having to replace broken buttons is a good thing.

This is another 'ultimate frugal' tip. Go to estate sales/garage sales in Mission Hills or other rich neighborhoods and buy neckties. One size fits all, and when those rich fellows get ties for Christmas they get $80 ties that hang in the closet until you buy 'em for $2.

xbarretx
03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Dillards had all their suits half off and then sometimes they'll do additional on top of that. I got a Hartt Shaffner Marx suit 2 weeks ago that was nearly $700 for $185.

that makes it sound like i missed the last train to clarksville. :huh:

xbarretx
03-28-2008, 02:43 PM
I've never spent more than $175 for a suit and never bought one that wasn't originally priced above $500+. I always try to hit up the department stores (Macy's, Dillards) in early January for the after Christmas sales. I don't know if you're on a time crunch to buy a new suit now, but if you can wait this is always a good time to look.

na i already have a few, im planning ahead on this so i have time :)

ill try it though..it sure beats buying Jeans...................................

ClevelandBronco
03-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, it's K.C., so I'm guessing that it's the ARC Thrift Store.

Hey! Happy Friday!

BigOlChiefsfan
03-28-2008, 03:17 PM
FWIW I like the tailors at Jack Henrys, and I like Larissa's (http://www.countryclubplaza.com/plaza.aspx?pgID=912&newsID=368&exCompID=135), over near Commerce Bank on the Plah-zah. Larissa's also did some good 'invisible weaving' repairs for me, after I dated a gal who was an 'exuberant smoker'. Think 'symphonic conductor/pyromaniac'.

xbarretx
03-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Well, it's K.C., so I'm guessing that it's the ARC Thrift Store.

Hey! Happy Friday!

"WTF is a frush?" - booger

LMAO