PDA

View Full Version : I think Hillary might run as an independent if she loses to Obama.

jAZ
03-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Gut feeling.

Her campaign's threats to pull donor support for the DNCC and threats to create a fight at the convention make me wonder whether the next threat for leverage is the threat of an indy run.

I'm sure it's being discussed because they seem to be willing to use anything or leverage. The question is would they go public with the threat (not soon) and would they do it?

Alphaman
03-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Would she have the $$$$ to do so?

noa
03-27-2008, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't put it past her. It seems that the only reason for her campaign to continue (since she has so little a chance of winning) is to destroy Obama and ensure that he loses to McCain so she can have a good shot in 2012. Running as an independent would be another good way to accomplish that.

pikesome
03-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Never happen.

The DNC doesn't need Hillary and neither does her backers, ultimately. They can give Obama (or whoever) money just as easily.

I'm thinking that after this election Clinton's political career might be over. At the very least she'll never be anything other than Senator.

ClevelandBronco
03-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Not a chance, IMO. She would be begging for history to remember her primarily as a vindictive spoiler. There's no way that she desires that legacy.

I would expect her to try anything and everything imaginable to get the nomination of her party, but I can't concoct any scenario that would induce her to run against her party.

jAZ
03-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Not a chance, IMO. She would be begging for history to remember her primarily as a vindictive spoiler. There's no way that she desires that legacy.

I would expect her to try anything and everything imaginable to get the nomination of her party, but I can't concoct any scenario that would induce her to run against her party.
Do you include the THREAT of this in "anything and everything imaginable"? Just not the follow through?

Logical
03-27-2008, 04:54 PM
The one thing I know is that if she did this, she would not be the Dem nominee in 2012, she will have cut her own throat in the DNC under such a scenario.

ClevelandBronco
03-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Do you include the THREAT of this in "anything and everything imaginable"? Just not the follow through?

Absolutely.

ClevelandBronco
03-27-2008, 04:57 PM
The one thing I know is that if she did this, she would not be the Dem nominee in 2012, she will have cut her own throat in the DNC under such a scenario.

I agree entirely. A run as an independent would be her last political gasp. It makes no sense to me at all.

pikesome
03-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Unless she stands behind Obama with a smile plastered on her face I think that days come and gone.

She had people in the DNC not wanting her to run more than a year ago for exactly these reasons. Unless she's sitting in the Oval Office those people will be going "See...See..."

Logical
03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I agree entirely. A run as an independent would be her last political gasp. It makes no sense to me at all.
Even the threat, if made, would be her end in the DNC for 2012

Logical
03-27-2008, 05:02 PM
There is a reason so many people consider her a coniving, whiney, Bitch.

Rain Man
03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Doing something like that would irrevocably demonstrate that she cares nothing about the ideals of her party and values political self-interest above any principles.

So, yeah, it's believable.

Honestly, though, it would be hard to imagine doing it unless you were specifically trying to commit career suicide. (I guess I should acknowledge that I think Teddy Roosevelt did it, but at the same time Teddy Roosevelt didn't steal the White House silverware when he left office.)

a1na2
03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
If that should happen it will do more to ensure that McCain wins by default.

Baby Lee
03-28-2008, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't put it past her. It seems that the only reason for her campaign to continue (since she has so little a chance of winning) is to destroy Obama and ensure that he loses to McCain so she can have a good shot in 2012. Running as an independent would be another good way to accomplish that.

Naw, she's already prepping her 2012 'I warned you about the shvuggie, are you ready to listen now?' tour.

bkkcoh
03-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Gut feeling.

Her campaign's threats to pull donor support for the DNCC and threats to create a fight at the convention make me wonder whether the next threat for leverage is the threat of an indy run.

I'm sure it's being discussed because they seem to be willing to use anything or leverage. The question is would they go public with the threat (not soon) and would they do it?

Woudln't that piss of Nader!!!!!!!!!!

patteeu
03-28-2008, 07:07 AM

Yeah, it would be one thing if she had an ideological basis for running against Obama in the general election (like Ron Paul would if he went independent), but I don't see how she could come back in 2012 and expect any kind of democrat support if she so obviously torpedoed their candidate in 2008 for no discernible reason other than self-benefit or spite. I think that even if she had a good ideological rationale for an independent run, she'd be committing suicide as far as her current party is concerned.

She's better off trying to do as much damage to him as she can during this legitimate race for the nomination and then hoping that he loses in November so she can claim that she was right all along about who would have been more electable as she starts to campaign for 2012.

RINGLEADER
03-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Gut feeling.

I don't think so Jaz. You'd have to guess that 95.0% of her support (certainly not from the Democratic establishment) would wither away if she attempted such a stunt.