PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Oath of Office?

Donger
03-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Do you think that, if Obama is elected, he will say his middle name during his oath? I'm going by memory here, but I think that every POTUS since Nixon has stated their middle name during the ceremony.

What would you guess?

Logical
03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Do you think that, if Obama is elected, he will say his middle name during his oath? I'm going by memory here, but I think that every POTUS since Nixon has stated their middle name during the ceremony.

What would you guess?
Sure, why wouldn't he.

go bowe
03-27-2008, 06:06 PM
they will use his full legal name, which includes his middle name hussein...

and he'll have his hand on a bible, not a koran...

and mrs. obama will undoubtedly say how proud she is of her baby daddy...

i know i would...

noa
03-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Of course. I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Donger
03-27-2008, 06:08 PM
they will use his full legal name, which includes his middle name hussein...

and he'll have his hand on a bible, not a koran...

and mrs. obama will undoubtedly say how proud she is of her baby daddy...

i know i would...

Is that it? Does the CJ of the SCOTUS always use the full legal name? I honestly don't know if it's just tradition or not.

pikesome
03-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Not that I think it's even an issue for most voters... But if he's being sworn in, he's won. Why would he give a rat ass if people don't like his middle name?

jAZ
03-27-2008, 06:14 PM

What would you guess?

It's not like that's going to be the first time anyone following politics has ever heard it. We are talking about the day he actually BECOMES President, right?

noa
03-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Does the CJ of the SCOTUS always use the full legal name?

I'm pretty sure that's the case.

a1na2
03-27-2008, 06:36 PM

What would you guess?

Moot point. No way he can get elected.

Sully
03-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Why wouldn't he?
Should he be ashamed of it?

go bowe
03-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Is that it? Does the CJ of the SCOTUS always use the full legal name? I honestly don't know if it's just tradition or not.i'm not sure what the legalities are, if any...

but i don't think for a second that obama would want to hide his name...

i expect cj john roberts will be saying barack hussein obama, unless hillary is able to wrest the nomination away from him somehow...

then it'll be john (mn?) mccain taking the oath...

alnorth
03-27-2008, 07:26 PM
At that point, why wouldnt he? If he says his middle name during the inauguration ceremony, is it going to hurt his chances of being elected president?

HolmeZz
03-27-2008, 11:42 PM
I hope he emphasizes the Hussein.

EAT IT, HATERZ

Taco John
03-27-2008, 11:50 PM

What would you guess?

I would guess that he would say his full name loudly and proudly.

patteeu
03-28-2008, 08:11 AM
It's not like that's going to be the first time anyone following politics has ever heard it. We are talking about the day he actually BECOMES President, right?

Since most people don't really follow politics that closely, I anticipate an audible nation-wide gasp followed almost immediately by the initiation of impeachment proceedings. :p

pikesome
03-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Since most people don't really follow politics that closely, I anticipate an audible nation-wide gasp followed almost immediately by the initiation of impeachment proceedings. :p

Unless there's an intern kneeling behind the podium... I think he's safe.

Hog Farmer
03-28-2008, 09:07 AM
It will be at that time that it's revealed that his real name is Osama Hussein Bin Laden as he pulls out his concealed AK47 and lights up the house.

bkkcoh
03-28-2008, 09:09 AM

What would you guess?

Is he even allowed to say his own middle name, no one else seems to be able to do so?

Duck Dog
03-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Yet a better question. How does someone expect to get elected POTUS with name Hussain in the US of KKKAmerica?

|Zach|
03-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Why wouldn't he?

patteeu
03-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Why wouldn't he?

That's a good question. You should ask all the people who made a big deal out of Bill Cunningham using Obama's middle name in Cunningham's introductory remarks at a McCain rally.

Sully
03-28-2008, 10:04 AM
That's a good question. You should ask all the people who made a big deal out of Bill Cunningham using Obama's middle name in Cunningham's introductory remarks at a McCain rally.

Because intent shouldn't be factored in at all.

Actually, I'm disappointed it took this long for someone to make this dumbassed statement.

Donger
03-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Can someone find a transcript or video of his swearing in ceremony in the Senate?

jAZ
03-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Why would Bill Cunningham (or any other RW advocate) want to press the use of his middle name in that sort of setting?

patteeu
03-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Because intent shouldn't be factored in at all.

Actually, I'm disappointed it took this long for someone to make this dumbassed statement.

What was Cunningham's intent and how do you know? I think Obama ought to either embrace the name his parents gave him or get it legally changed. And his fanboys ought to man up and quit whining about every imaginable slight. Obama can't be too proud of the estrogen level among his male supporters.

jAZ
03-28-2008, 12:53 PM
What was Cunningham's intent and how do you know? I think Obama ought to either embrace the name his parents gave him or get it legally changed. And his fanboys ought to man up and quit whining about every imaginable slight. Obama can't be too proud of the estrogen level among his male supporters.
What motivation might the RWers have to use the name as they have tried to do? Can you even imagine?

patteeu
03-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Why would Bill Cunningham (or any other RW advocate) want to press the use of his middle name in that sort of setting?

I don't know. Maybe he wanted to see Obama and his supporters over-react and prove how thin skinned they are. Maybe it had something to do with the poetics of his statement and the number of syllables in BHO's name. Maybe he wants people to recognize that Obama has a muslim heritage so they can better understand the complex man with the unusual past. Maybe he did some focus groups and found that his audience reacts favorably to the use of the name Hussein. Maybe it was a diabolical plot of some sort hatched in a dark, smoky room by Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh, and Dick Cheney.

Why should Obama and his supporters be offended by someone else using the name Obama's parents gave him?

jAZ
03-28-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't know. Maybe he wanted to see Obama and his supporters over-react and prove how thin skinned they are. Maybe it had something to do with the poetics of his statement and the number of syllables in BHO's name. Maybe he wants people to recognize that Obama has a muslim heritage so they can better understand the complex man with the unusual past. Maybe he did some focus groups and found that his audience reacts favorably to the use of the name Hussein. Maybe it was a diabolical plot of some sort hatched in a dark, smoky room by Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh, and Dick Cheney.

Why should Obama and his supporters be offended by someone else using the name Obama's parents gave him?

Can you imagine any other sort of reason? Maybe a hybrid including elements of the ideas you mentioned here and a little something else?

Sully
03-28-2008, 01:00 PM

So...
When Obama's wife says something, it is perfectly acceptable to turn it into some secret code.
But when someone you agree with politically says something, we have to pretend to not know what he's doing.
Thats adorable.

StcChief
03-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Since most people don't really follow politics that closely, I anticipate an audible nation-wide gasp followed almost immediately by the initiation of impeachment proceedings. :pJust don't let it get that far.

jAZ
03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
So...
When Obama's wife says something, it is perfectly acceptable to turn it into some secret code.
But when someone you agree with politically says something, we have to pretend to not know what he's doing.
Thats adorable.
This particular aspect of many of the regular posters on here has always been annoying to me. It's what keeps the DC from being more than it is.

A lot of posters refuse to step outside the "I'm competitive and therefore unable to concede anything unflattering about my side" mentality.

It really impedes a lot of potentially intersting discussions.